PDA

View Full Version : Midcourt shots

ffrpg
09-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Whenever I get the perfect chance to put away a shot (from midcourt) I always ruin it. I always hit the ball long or into the net. I hit with a semi western forehand and I just can't figure it out. When I try hitting it "softer" I lack pace and my opponent is able to return the shot. How do I put away a shot with pace from midcourt using a semi western forehand?

Camilio Pascual
09-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Topspin.
Anyway, at what height are you generally taking the ball? Maybe that is the problem. If you are not good at put aways at mid-court, as most counterpunchers are, maybe you should try a slice approach shot or a drop shot. I hit poor drop shots, so I counterpunch. If you hit good drop shots, try that for a while. Or, if you are a good volleyer, hit approaches. This could just be a problem of not employing the tactics you can best execute. Good luck.

mucat
09-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Don't think of it as a put away shot, think of it as a near-winner, concentrate on keeping the ball in and with enough pace to hurt your opponent, either deep or wide. If you just whack at it hard, you just give your opponent free point.

Rickson
09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
I sometimes choke up on the stick on short putaways.

Chanchai
09-02-2004, 06:11 PM
I think there are so many potential factors.... it's hard to say.... Some of these might help...

-Work on mini-tennis with a focus on topspin. Playing rallies from service line to service line. Again, focus on topspin and develop feel for the ball. You'll learn that even a softer shot should be just as fluid and solid as any other forehand.

-Is your body incorporated in your forehand? Maybe you have an arm-dominant forehand and you're getting the perks and gripes with it. Maybe closing your stance a bit (to a more "neutral" or forward stance--perpendicular to the net), but reminding yourself to use those hips could help this?

-This was a recent help for me, for consistency and variety I guess. I usually whip through my forehands, snapping my wrist around the time of contact. But now, I've developed (it took 10 minutes) a forehand where I keep the wrist laid-back--as in, I don't snap the wrist at all until well after hitting the ball. Somehow, against expectation, this forehand has generated a really nice rally and moderate pace shot that can be heavy with use of the body and has good topspin without working for it. It's generally been good for put aways.

-What type of ball are you talking about? If it's a sitter at midcourt, they usually bounce high enough to really not worry about pace and I am happy going all out with this and having a success rate around 90% for these shots, as long as I spot them early enough. If anything, if the ball is going to bounce high enough, worrying about pace or slowing down my stroke usually ruins the shot. Just try to be more solid, hit through, and get that body into the shot--which will usually happen automatically as you are moving towards the net--at least for me.

Hope somewhere in there is something worthwhile. But remember, it's all just "ideas" from a fellow player that has a lot to learn still.

-Chanchai