PDA

View Full Version : Fededer Fededer Fededer.....

Shahar26
02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
The guy has a sick game, he returns more than the day after Christmas, but I must admit, its getting old seeing him run over pretty much everyone he plays.
I know its shallow, but there's something about his face that rubs me the wrong way...

jamumafa
02-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Unless you've done it on purpose, to spell his name wrong three times is pretty impressive

ATXtennisaddict
02-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Roder Fededer is awesome!

The guy's just good. Can you blame him for wanting to win win win/

Shahar26
02-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I was trying to see if someone would notice, many times when you see a name that you know after you read the beginning, you mind automatically completes the rest.
Good job spotting it right away.... ;)

shrakkie
02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Thats true. Like some say if you know the first and last letter of a word and the rest of the letters are jumbled up then your brain can still compute what the word is!

Andres
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
I saw a Coca Coca poster which I spent around 3 months of seeing it daily on my way to work, to NOTICE that it actually said Coca CoCa instead of Coca Cola. ;p

omniexist
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
The guy has a sick game, he returns more than the day after Christmas, but I must admit, its getting old seeing him run over pretty much everyone he plays.
I know its shallow, but there's something about his face that rubs me the wrong way...

Admittedly, he does look kind've smug (like who wouldn't in his spot) reminds me a bit of Hingis the female counterpart when she was on top.

I'd just like some competition.

Shahar26
02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
It has to do with how the brain uses pattern predictions.

Theres a really good book about how the brain works called "On Intelligence" its not too technical and can help you understand how your brain works....

lorenza
02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I was trying to see if someone would notice, many times when you see a name that you know after you read the beginning, you mind automatically completes the rest.

heheh, i actually didnt notice it at first....:p

fuzz nation
02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Actually, that mis-spelling is almost like the "fddddd..." sound of an arrow hitting a bullseye. Anyone else here a fan of irony? Oh, you mean that's what his shots actually sound like if you're courtside? No wonder everyone wants that racquet!

The Fed-man is one of the few who actually deserves the steady diet of superlatives. Hey, when Jordan was playing the game, we all knew we were watching an all time great in the middle of writing some history. We'll miss the magic when he's gone, so I'll take what I can get for now. If the up-and-comers decide to chuck the baseline gospel and embrace the lunacy of a developed all court game just to compete, we can eventually salute Roger for his contribution toward future generations (players and spectators) as well as for his records.

FedFan_2007
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Actually, that mis-spelling is almost like the "fddddd..." sound of an arrow hitting a bullseye. Anyone else here a fan of irony? Oh, you mean that's what his shots actually sound like if you're courtside? No wonder everyone wants that racquet!

The Fed-man is one of the few who actually deserves the steady diet of superlatives. Hey, when Jordan was playing the game, we all knew we were watching an all time great in the middle of writing some history. We'll miss the magic when he's gone, so I'll take what I can get for now. If the up-and-comers decide to chuck the baseline gospel and embrace the lunacy of a developed all court game just to compete, we can eventually salute Roger for his contribution toward future generations (players and spectators) as well as for his records.

It's a win-win for Roger now. Either they refuse to adjust and he wins 18 slams, or they do adjust and he gets hailed as having revolutionized the game. Oh, he'll still win 15 slams. :D :D :p

drakulie
02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. You are watching the greatest player ever. One day you could tell your grand kids about it.:)

psamp14
02-14-2007, 10:06 AM
exactly what drakulie said......how rare is it to see two players in back to back decades just dominate like sampras and federer have done and are doing? :)

Shabazza
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM

If you had used Fedener instead of Fededer it would've worked better - "d" looks just too different from "r" to confuse the brain more then once, imo.

Shabazza
02-14-2007, 10:27 AM

I second that. I really hope future generations strive to play like Federer and we'll see more player who mix up their game instead of playing a pure power, baseline-bashing style. I don't want to see the ATP becoming a copy of the WTA game.

fastdunn
02-14-2007, 11:12 AM
He is undoubtly a special player with special talents BUT he will
get better competitions pretty soon (more like I hope).
Maybe one or a few more talented lefty and more talented top 10 players...
Then we'll see more memorable matches like the one with Safin and Nadal.

pound cat
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I saw a Coca Coca poster which I spent around 3 months of seeing it daily on my way to work, to NOTICE that it actually said Coca CoCa instead of Coca Cola. ;p

I guess that ad campaign was a waste of Coca Coca's money. Whoever they are.

OrangeOne
02-14-2007, 11:57 AM
If I hear that name one more time I'll !@#$

You see, everyone's concered about the spelling of Fededer, but I'm confused by option 4. It makes no sense to me. I mean, usually one would put "scream" in the above sentence. But scream has no need to be expletive-blocked....

So I'm left wondering ....why one would be led to the need to 'perform any verb-expletive' based on hearing his name? ;) I guess it's all not that important given it seems from the poll no-one is indeed out there in this bucket....

The Gorilla
02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I hate the way people say we're so lucky to see one player totally dominate the field and we'll probably never see the like again.This has been the way since time immemorial:
1910-20=johnston
1920-30=Tilden
1935-45=budge
1945-50=kramer
1950-60= pancho Gonzales
1960-70=laver
1970-78=connors
1978-1982=borg
1982-1984=mcenroe
1985-89=lendl
1989-92= rare streak of 5 great players playing at once
1992-00=sampras
2000-2003=another rare streak of 5 great players peaking at once
2003-present=Federer

what's changed?

Nothing.

Federer isn't the best ever, there's no way he would dominate any of those players in head to head meetings, although he might win slightly more out of a 100 against some of them, or lose slightly more out of a 100 against some of them.Give it 10 years and we'll have a new absolute best player of all time.

BlackSheep
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Who is Roder Fededer? Is he a golfer?

Andres
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I guess that ad campaign was a waste of Coca Coca's money. Whoever they are.
It was a Coke ad, actually. Said something about don't believe the first you see. One and only. Coke.

Shahar26
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
finally someone voted for option #4 ;)

[ GTR ]
02-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I hate the way people say we're so lucky to see one player totally dominate the field and we'll probably never see the like again.This has been the way since time immemorial:
1910-20=johnston
1920-30=Tilden
1935-45=budge
1945-50=kramer
1950-60= pancho Gonzales
1960-70=laver
1970-78=connors
1978-1982=borg
1982-1984=mcenroe
1985-89=lendl
1989-92= rare streak of 5 great players playing at once
1992-00=sampras
2000-2003=another rare streak of 5 great players peaking at once
2003-present=Federer

I hate it when people who haven't grown up watching certain tennis players play, say they dominated when they weren't even born. I mean you might read that Tilden or someone dominated when they played, but were you even born? I doubt it.

Rataplan
02-15-2007, 04:24 AM
What's that got to do with anything?
You don't have to be alive at the time to know that a certain player dominated in a certain era.

The Gorilla
02-15-2007, 12:31 PM
I've lived through about half of the names on that lists dominance, seeing as the rest won a couple of grand slams a year for 5-10 years each I think it's fair to say they dominated.

Gundam
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
It seems we all recognize who he is if the name starts with F and ends with R. I love his tennis but wish there are players who can threaten his reign (Sounds familiar?). :(

Shabazza
02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
It seems we all recognize who he is if the name starts with F and ends with R. I love his tennis but wish there are players who can threaten his reign (Sounds familiar?). :(

You mean Ferrer? Well his reign is over he just lost yesterday.. ;)

[ GTR ]
02-16-2007, 06:04 AM
What's that got to do with anything?
You don't have to be alive at the time to know that a certain player dominated in a certain era.

Wasn't that in my opinion? Look at Federer, I am following him and I also watch other ATP pros. I can safely say he dominated from 04-06 and still dominating now. Whereas, I didn't grow up watching Sampras(only small clips), or any other greats. Although I've read books, articles on how they dominated, I still think it's not fair to say that when I haven't grown up watching them. Well, obviously I know Sampras dominated but not as much as Federer but I'm not going to judge how Sampras dominated by just watching some highlights on YouTube.

I don't think "The Gorilla" is safe to say Tilden dominated, (Yes, it's in the books, one of the greats) without following him closely.

whistleway
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
;1255887']Wasn't that in my opinion? Look at Federer, I am following him and I also watch other ATP pros. I can safely say he dominated from 04-06 and still dominating now. Whereas, I didn't grow up watching Sampras(only small clips), or any other greats. Although I've read books, articles on how they dominated, I still think it's not fair to say that when I haven't grown up watching them. Well, obviously I know Sampras dominated but not as much as Federer but I'm not going to judge how Sampras dominated by just watching some highlights on YouTube.

I don't think "The Gorilla" is safe to say Tilden dominated, (Yes, it's in the books, one of the greats) without following him closely.

huh? Ever heard of a thing called history? If all we ever talk about it, what we see during our lifetimes, it would be incredibly narrow and boring.

The Gorilla
02-16-2007, 09:50 AM
;1255887']Wasn't that in my opinion? Look at Federer, I am following him and I also watch other ATP pros. I can safely say he dominated from 04-06 and still dominating now. Whereas, I didn't grow up watching Sampras(only small clips), or any other greats. Although I've read books, articles on how they dominated, I still think it's not fair to say that when I haven't grown up watching them. Well, obviously I know Sampras dominated but not as much as Federer but I'm not going to judge how Sampras dominated by just watching some highlights on YouTube.

I know he dominated because I can see look at his results over a decade, and in individual years.

you are not clever my friend.

[ GTR ]
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
huh? Ever heard of a thing called history? If all we ever talk about it, what we see during our lifetimes, it would be incredibly narrow and boring.

Oh yeah, when you compare someone like Tilden to Federer without watching Tilden is plain stupid. Yes, I've heard of history. It would be better to say something like: I haven't watched Tilden play but I've read books on his game, skills, talents, etc..

The Gorilla
02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
;1256969']Oh yeah, when you compare someone like Tilden to Federer without watching Tilden is plain stupid. Yes, I've heard of history. It would be better to say something like: I haven't watched Tilden play but I've read books on his game, skills, talents, etc..

I know he dominated because I can see look at his results over a decade, and in individual years.

Rataplan
02-17-2007, 01:57 AM
;1255887']Look at Federer, I am following him and I also watch other ATP pros. I can safely say he dominated from 04-06 and still dominating now. Whereas, I didn't grow up watching Sampras(only small clips), or any other greats. Although I've read books, articles on how they dominated, I still think it's not fair to say that when I haven't grown up watching them.
Well, that's exactly why I think that this GOAT discussion is useless.

Federer is now playing and whatever he does or says is fresh in the memory and has a big impact on people's opinion. When comparing Federer with tennis players from the past, you are comparing what you see right now with your own eyes with what most of you guys are reading in books, articles.
Suppose Federer was born sooner and had this crushing domination over his opponents in his time and Tilden was born in Roger's birth year. Who knows? Maybe we would all say that this Federer bloke we've read about in books was great but have you seen Tilden's latest streak? Did you see him crush Roddick in the Australian Open.

The GOAT discussion is pointless to me because the times were different, the material was different, the opponents were different,...
All I have to say about that is that Federer is up there with the best of them.

KingOfTennis
02-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Hes a champ on and off court

[ GTR ]
02-17-2007, 03:59 AM

You look at his results. Have you actually watched alot of matches of Tilden playing?.... Errr my friend?

If you're so clever, why don't you answer all of my post? My friend...

justineheninhoogenbandfan
02-17-2007, 04:16 AM
;1252898']I hate it when people who haven't grown up watching certain tennis players play, say they dominated when they weren't even born. I mean you might read that Tilden or someone dominated when they played, but were you even born? I doubt it.

You can tell how much Tilden dominated by looking at his record at the time. From 1920-1925 he played 6 U.S Opens and 2 Wimbledons. He won all 8 of those events, even though in Wimbledon 1921 he only had to play 1 match(
back then defending Champion got a bye to the final). You wouldnt need to see him play to realize he dominated, the record shows it.

Sagittar
02-17-2007, 05:01 AM
he just needs to lose some more for it to get more exciting ! :p

no , seriously the guy is inspiring ..