PDA

View Full Version : Lackluster Ljubicic?

chair ump
02-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I know it's early in the tennis year, but if I'm a Ljubicic fan, I'm worried. Since changing equipment at the beginning of the year he has had surprising 1st round losses (Aussie Open, Marseilles) and an uninspired Davis Cup performance against Germany. Any ideas as to why Lubi is slumping in '07?

Ken B.
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Just like Roddick before Connors was his coach, people have figured out how to beat Ljubicic. Make him run around, hold serve and just break him once or twice to clinch the set. He racks up aces, but it's because players will give him 3 or 4 games and just break him on one serve game and hold serve.

It's not so much the racket. Federer, Berdych, and Robredo switched racket's too, but it hasn't stopped them.

Bobble
02-14-2007, 09:53 AM
no one is really switching racquets, just paint on the racquets. Ljubicic is slow, he looks so clumsy when he has to run, but you have to love his sweeping groundstrokes when he doesnt have to run much.

oscar_2424
02-14-2007, 09:56 AM
i agree, babolat is 100 times better than head.:)

gts072
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Overrated and is falling fast from the Top 10. One of the weakest among the top players.

Ivanišević
02-14-2007, 11:43 AM
One of the weakest? Are you kidding?
Maybe he's a choker at slams but he played pretty well last 2 years.
He's form isn't the greatest at the moment, but ihe's almost 28

Alexandros
02-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I can't stand Ljubicic. He's an aberration - a top 5/10 player who is absolutely no threat to win a grand slam. I'm glad that he'll probably be out of the top 10 by the end of this year (I'd even put money on it).

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
he was never really a good player. even coria is much better than him

slice bh compliment
02-14-2007, 03:07 PM

Yeah, shouldn't this be in the ;) FORMER Pro Player Discussion sub-forum??

Kidding. I like his BH. And he's a good human interest story. Seems like a good guy. He's featured on TennisPlayer.net this month. I know he chokes at big tournaments, but I root for him. Just not against the likes of Baghdatis, Federer et al.

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah, shouldn't this be in the ;) FORMER Pro Player Discussion sub-forum??

Kidding. I like his BH. And he's a good human interest story. Seems like a good guy. He's featured on TennisPlayer.net this month. I know he chokes at big tournaments, but I root for him. Just not against the likes of Baghdatis, Federer et al.

him,davydenko and nalbandian dont belong in the top 10. time for bedrych, haas and gasquet to step up

Jon Rudy
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't get how any of you could say that any of these guys don't deserve to be in the top 10. It isn't the BCS, where there's controversy regarding who should play for the national championship game; if the players are in the ATP top 10 rankings, they deserve to be there because they accumulated the points.
Sweet Baby Jesus, how do you deduce that he isn't really a good player?

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't get how any of you could say that any of these guys don't deserve to be in the top 10. It isn't the BCS, where there's controversy regarding who should play for the national championship game; if the players are in the ATP top 10 rankings, they deserve to be there because they accumulated the points.

u cant use the ranking system to decide who is better. ivan, david and nikolay have had their time up there thanks to playing in more tournaments, its now time for the real talent

Andres
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
him,davydenko and nalbandian dont belong in the top 10. time for bedrych, haas and gasquet to step up
Nalbandian doesn't belong, but Berdych, Haas and Gasquet ????

Nalbandian has been a Top10 for the past 4 years... there's a reason for that, you know?

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Nalbandian doesn't belong, but Berdych, Haas and Gasquet ????

Nalbandian has been a Top10 for the past 4 years... there's a reason for that, you know?

ya, its because he hasnt had any strong competition other than people above him. talent-wise he is **** when compared to haas and berdych

Alexandros
02-14-2007, 03:42 PM

I didn't say anything about him not deserving to be in the top 10, I just said that I don't like him as a player because of the fact that he is in the top 10 yet cannot and does not factor in as a contender for any major.

hopeless
02-14-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks. ure the one who started the name calling. why this love for a stupid player like nalbandian? are your argentinian?? all they produce is druggies

Why this love for Haas and Berdych.. are you Czech or German?

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-14-2007, 04:16 PM

no, haas has the most beautiful game and berdych has talent capable of beating even fed.

Feņa14
02-14-2007, 04:36 PM
no, haas has the most beautiful game and berdych has talent capable of beating even fed.

So does Nalbandian. Less than 18 months ago he beat Federer in the Masters Series final and he was doing a fine job in the semis of the French when he had to withdraw.

chair ump
02-14-2007, 05:12 PM
The thing that jumps out at me most when I consider the top 10 for the most part failing to challenge Fed on any consistent basis, is that very few other players' games are continuing to evolve in a positive way like Fed's game has. Just consider for a moment his improved net game, backhand, and could the guy's movement get any better?? well I think it has. Now has any other player besides maybe Roddick or Gonzo, lately, tried to evolve his game to challenge the world #1? I think not. So, I say guys like Nalbandian, Lubi, and Hewitt need to think of ways their game can evolve...because Federer's overall depth of game amazingly continues to expand and run away from the field, let alone the top 10.

tennis_hand
02-14-2007, 05:56 PM

no. haas strokes look very restricted. you can say they are compact, but they don't look fluent, and always look stopping before a full follow through.

Robredo's looks much better than Haas'. I watched several Robredo's games. Although he is not as good as many top5s mainly because he stays behind the damn baseline 2 meters, his strokes are probably the 2nd most fluent behind Federer, at least to me.

The tennis guy
02-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Because they are morons.

Whoever say a top 10 player doesn't belong top 10 is a moron.

The tennis guy
02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
ya, its because he hasnt had any strong competition other than people above him. talent-wise he is **** when compared to haas and berdych

Then how the hell the so-much-more-talented Haas and Berdych ranked below no-talent Ljubicic? Because they are not talented enough at the moment.

croatian sensation
02-16-2007, 12:57 AM

First of all, Ljubicic never stole any ATP points from anyone. So, if he was in the top 10 the last 2 years (spending most of the '06 in the top 5) it was because of results.
So don't give me the "this and this player should be in top 10, not Ljubicic". When the other great talents :roll: who deserve Ljubicic's spot get themselves there, then they belong to top 10.
Ljubicic is going slightly downhill I think cause of his age. His "one-dimensional" game and Slams choking was working pretty well in the last 2 years to keep him in top 10, so it's him that's been slumping, and not new guys pushing him out.

And second...."even Coria" ? Even?? Many people here have very short term memory, and if a certain player isn't doing good at the moment, all of a sudden he's a nobody. I'm not gonna repeat all of Coria's results here, and how long he was in top 10, but inform yourself next time before talking nonsense.

Thud and blunder
02-16-2007, 01:57 AM

People get seduced by flashy strokes, and don't look at more prosaic factors, such as results.

Andres
02-16-2007, 05:03 AM
People get seduced by flashy strokes, and don't look at more prosaic factors, such as results.
Amen.
Coria, Ljubicic, Nalbandian and Davydenko are true Top10 players.

caulcano
02-16-2007, 05:33 AM
The top 3 seeds lost.

Does that mean the ATP have strength in depth?

ATXtennisaddict
02-16-2007, 07:22 AM
I watched Ivan play in Davis Cup and he was terrible. He was late for a lot of shots.

chair ump
02-16-2007, 07:36 AM
I dunno, maybe recently getting married took the fire out of his belly? Same thing happened to Hewitt.

croatian sensation
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
I dunno, maybe recently getting married took the fire out of his belly? Same thing happened to Hewitt.

Umm..he got married in 2004. Before his good results, so it can't be that.

TheTruth
02-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I didn't say anything about him not deserving to be in the top 10, I just said that I don't like him as a player because of the fact that he is in the top 10 yet cannot and does not factor in as a contender for any major.

How many in the top ten are grand slam contenders? Think about it, only Roddick has won one, many of the others haven't even sniffed at a grand slam final. Talk about a bunch of underachievers, mentally weak pros. I hope the up and comers get it together!

TheTruth
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Can't speak for the poster, but Haas he is cute, especially Haas, talented, and deserve to play for a couple of years without any freak injuries occurring.

TheTruth
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Then how the hell the so-much-more-talented Haas and Berdych ranked below no-talent Ljubicic? Because they are not talented enough at the moment.

In the case of Haas, it is because of injuries. Remember, when he was at full health and gaining steam he had a string of freak injuries and the scare with his parents. He was #2 in the world. In the case of Berdych, he is young, relatively new to the tour as a threat and has to shore up his mental game, while Ljubicic, who I do think is a talented choker has been playing and racking up the points in the interim. Ranking depends on number of tournaments played, how far you go, etc. being in the top ten doesn't mean you are a top ten player. Case in point: Schnyder, Petrova, Blake, Robredo, amongst others are merely players in waiting until the real ones recover, or gain more experience.

The tennis guy
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Ranking depends on number of tournaments played, how far you go, etc. being in the top ten doesn't mean you are a top ten player. Case in point: Schnyder, Petrova, Blake, Robredo, amongst others are merely players in waiting until the real ones recover, or gain more experience.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Just look at how many tournaments they have played at the moment in the past year before you post crap.

Lujbicic 22
Haas 22
Berdych 24.

What is a top 10 player? Whoever ranked top 10 is a top 10 player. People like you who argued otherwise is just a moron who doesn't know what you are talking about. If you find other way to rank player, then you can talk.

TheTruth
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Just look at how many tournaments they have played at the moment in the past year before you post crap.

Lujbicic 22
Haas 22
Berdych 24.

What is a top 10 player? Whoever ranked top 10 is a top 10 player. People like you who argued otherwise is just a moron who doesn't know what you are talking about. If you find other way to rank player, then you can talk.

Excuse me, but I was speaking about his overall career, not just one or two years. Haas has had huge gaps in his career due to injury. If you don't believe me, look it up. I know what I am talking about. Since you weren't clear on what I meant you should have asked rather than resort to childish behaviour like name-calling. And as to your idea of a top ten player, maybe we should use the term top ten caliber. Sheesh! Because everyone in the top ten is not a viable contender on either tour!