PDA

View Full Version : About crazy shots: what's yours?

sarpmas
09-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Had a practice session with my partner yesterday. Something crazy and hilarious happened. I was hitting a fh straight at him, he didn't move his feet well and took a wild swing at the ball. It was at that moment, we were stunned for a second. The ball just disappeared into thin air! We were like 'what the hell?!' and soon realized that the ball was stucked at the throat of my partner's racket! By then, we were both laughing so hard that tears were rolling out our eyes.

YEMntFtb
09-02-2004, 05:18 AM
i love when that happens

@wright
09-02-2004, 06:07 AM
This was kind of funny, I had a league dubs match last week and I was at the baseline hitting a passing shot, and I just ripped it as hard as I could and hit the passing shot as well as I've ever hit one, the ball dipped as soon as it made it over the net. The ball went through the guy's legs for a clean winner, and the guy asks his partner if it was in. I just had to laugh, it would be physically impossible for the ball to make it over the net and through his legs and fly out.

ambro
09-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Had a practice session with my partner yesterday. Something crazy and hilarious happened. I was hitting a fh straight at him, he didn't move his feet well and took a wild swing at the ball. It was at that moment, we were stunned for a second. The ball just disappeared into thin air! We were like 'what the hell?!' and soon realized that the ball was stucked at the throat of my partner's racket! By then, we were both laughing so hard that tears were rolling out our eyes.Same thing happened to me. He hit a lob to me and it got caught up in the wind or soemthing, but it was in front of me so I had to lunge forward to get it, and I swung late and got stuck in the throat of my PD. I fell down laughing and just stayed there and laughed for about ten minutes. The ball is still in there as a souvenier lol.

Rickson
09-02-2004, 06:18 PM
I've had the ball stuck in my racquet too, but luckily it was on a fault serve. The craziest shot I hit was an accidental driving slice to the deuce court. I hit a hard forehand at my opponent, but it took a sick spin in the air and when it landed, the ball kicked so far to the left side(his right) that he had no chance of returning it. I was never able to duplicate that shot again because it was a total accident, but I'd love to have that shot in my arsenal.

PHSTennis
09-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Craziest shot was after not playing for a month and playing... I missed the ball completely on a forehand and hit myself on the nosebridge OUCH! THAT WAS LAME..

Matt Choi
09-02-2004, 08:02 PM
I hit a flat serve and it slid off the line very low and hit the receiver in his balls. 10 minute delay.

devwizard
09-03-2004, 08:18 PM
I have two favorites that I can't decide between. Both occurred on an overhead.
The first happened when I was at the net and my opponent lobbed me. It wasn't a bad lob and I didn't move my feet too well, and ended up hitting the ball way early and off balance. I skulled the ball right off the very top of the frame, i mean, like barely even touching the grommet. However, my motion was downward enough so that the ball actually went into the court. But the spin because of this mishit was incredible. I mean, Federer couldn't generate this much kick. It turned like 5 feet in the short time it was in the air, and when it hit the ground kicked directly backwards and about 15 feet straight to my left, making it a clean winner as my opponent swung aimlessly at the ball.
The next occurred while I was playing at a grass court tourny. Once again, I was at the net, and my opponent hit a decent lob. I went up, and hit the absolute hardest overhead I have ever hit. However, if you know grass courts, the ballls don't exactly bounce. At all. So my huge overhead which landed at the service line and would have easily cleared the fence on a hard court bounced up for a perfect height for my opponent to hit his own overhead from the baseline, squarely nailing me in the chest. Yes, we had about five minutes of straight laughter before starting again.

Craig Sheppard
09-03-2004, 10:00 PM
While playing doubles when I was younger, there was a kid playing net on the other team...had some Urkel-type bottle-like glasses on. I miss hit a lob, went off the frame and launched way up in the air. Kid didn't even notice. As he stood there, waiting for the shot, here comes the lob down, him oblivious, hits him right in the forehead, knocks his glasses off, they go flying, and he falls to the ground stunned....

I about busted a gut, but I had to hold it in a bit and apologize b/c we were winning quite bad.

Craig

Tennis Guy
09-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Craziest shot was after not playing for a month and playing... I missed the ball completely on a forehand and hit myself on the nosebridge OUCH! THAT WAS LAME..
My brother hit himself in the head and had to have seven stiches.

David Pavlich
09-04-2004, 06:43 PM
I was playing doubles and had just finished a point. I was playing the up position. The ball was on the other side of the court and as we were changing positions on the court, one of the guys on the other side hit a ball over to my partner so that he had 2 balls to serve. The ball hit me just above my left ear! I had no clue as to what happened since the point was over and everyone was relaxed. I knew it wasn't malicious since we were getting our Thorlo's handed to us.

After I recovered from my "stun" and the guy that hit me apologized a dozen times, we all got a good laugh over it. Good thing it wasn't a screaming forehand!

David

skuludo
09-05-2004, 02:22 AM
I hit a forehand that was late once, and the ball hit the right net post then it flew to the left net post and then it flew back to the right net post (looked like the net posts were rallying against each other) then it came right back to my forehand.

mucat
09-05-2004, 04:00 AM
I hit a forehand that was late once, and the ball hit the right net post then it flew to the left net post and then it flew back to the right net post (looked like the net posts were rallying against each other) then it came right back to my forehand.

LOL, no way!!!!!!
:shock: :lol:

Kid A
09-05-2004, 06:43 AM
I've had the reaction volley get stuck in the throat which is a good one. Once though during a clinic we were practicing serves. I was on ad and my friend was on deuce, we were both just serving from a hopper. Well we both serve and the balls both get about to the net and go straight to the ground and bounce back towards us. We look at each other with puzzled looks, I go "did those hit in the air," he goes "yea I think so," my coach is standing back behind us and goes "did they hit in the air?" Was not planned, well we couldn't have done it even if it was planned.

DANMAN
09-05-2004, 08:36 AM
My favorite is when I go up to hit what I think is going to be a huge overhead and I shank it off the top of the frame, essentially hitting under the ball. This strike of the ball results in yes, a drop shot overhead. It's pretty ridiculous, but I do it every few months.

mucat
09-05-2004, 08:06 PM
I just remember one. I was going for a overhead, but I swing early and missed the ball :oops: .Just a reaction thing, I swing the racket back behind my back to try to catch the ball, I caught it before the second bounce and hit it pass the net for a winner.

mistapooh
09-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Haha, how funny. I once did a lob to a guy's testicles, it was windy that day. I also returned a serve on my knees and got a winner.

good times...

Kaptain Karl
09-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Years ago the owner of one of the indoor clubs asked me to help his 19 year old daughter’s serve. (Think of a Regional “Dementieva”.) She had a very jerky motion and really had no idea about placement, she just “aimed for the box.”

After about six lessons, she was whining (Again!) about how long it was taking. Her motion still wasn’t great ... but it was pretty good, so I decided to stop her whining. I walked over and placed a ball just inside the T on the other side. I walked back to her and said, “Hit the ball with your serve.”

She thought I was crazy, but after settling herself ... she did it (!).

I kept a straight face and walked over to set up another. I told her to “Do it again.” ... She did!!!

I said, “Don’t you ever let anyone say you can’t place your serve!” I went straight to her dad and terminated our lessons. (Couldn’t stand that brat....)

(I have a very good serve, but I can only do this two times in a row about every 11th or 12th try. It’s tough....)

- KK

Max G.
09-19-2004, 12:28 AM
My crazy shots - accidental dropshots. I hit lots of underspin shots, and sometimes I just mistime it - and instead of the deep ball it's supposed to be, it turns into an *ideal* dropshot. Had one of those in the second point of the match - guy hits a serve, I mistime the forehand chip return, and end up hitting a dropshot winner that bounces a dozen times before getting the service line.

...I end up doing the unexpected dropshots from one to a couple of times a match, depending on how the matchup works and how many slice groundstrokes I have to hit.

PrestigeClassic
09-19-2004, 01:10 AM
After not playing in a while, I hit a forehand with the racket following through dead-center into my forehead causing a large bump with a little blood.

Kaptain Karl
09-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Have any of you ever intentionally “framed” a ground stroke? My college buddy and I used to do it just to watch our opponents adjust to the bounce. One point I distinctly remember doing it three shots in a row(!). (Of course, you don’t even try it until you’re up at least two breaks and 40 - 0).

- KK

mistapooh
09-19-2004, 08:16 PM
ooh, blocked a smash the other day with my frame and got it over with major backspin, it spun back to our side!

GuyPerez
09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
I hit a pass toward the net man and he made contact with his frame, but hit the ball into his own head. he than joked that I hit him in the head, but I said I hit him in the frame and he hit himself in the head.

Not ten points later, he lobs me and as I run back under the ball, I lost track of it and it landed right on my head. So he actually hit ME in the head.

I have also cracked myself in the face a couple of times as a junior.

I have seen my partner crack himself in the shin on a serve follow through.

I once somehow hit myself in the heel on the forward motion of a stroke (forehand) on the run and caused myself to fall down.

I also once hit BOTH opponents with the same passing shot. Bounced off one guy and hit his partner.

As a junior, I had a doubles partner who stood 6'7" and could hit overheads like crazy. He hit a sitter tight into the net with such extreme inside out angle that our friend who had run to take cover very close to the net ran right into it testicles first. Three courts went silent just from the sound and the guy just stood still for a while, completely frozen, and then fell over like a statue. GAME OVER!

@wright
09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
A couple months ago I hit a really solid volley right into my friend's nads, luckily his wife was expecting, and they are stopping at one kid. I joked about that with him, but it didn't seem to help.

Kaptain Karl
09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
GuyPerez’ post just reminded me of one more.... On our college team, the #4 player was a -- well, he was a jerk. He was overly flamboyant for his “pretty average” ability, and he was a Know-It-All.

Nastase’s over-the-shoulder return of an offensive lob had become known as the “Bucharest Backfire” and all us kids were trying to figure out how to hit it with some degree of competence. Anyway, “#4” decided to try it -- no one will ever convince me it was for any reason “other” than the bleachers were *packed* for that match. He had a big audience. Of course, he miss-timed the maneuver ... never even made contact with the ball ... but cracked himself right in the forehead with the throat of his “Red Head.” He knocked himself out cold. It was at least 20 minutes before he could resume the match.

- KK

splink779
09-21-2004, 03:03 PM
I have thrown my racket at a drop shot before and it hit so well that the ball was driven down the line to win the point, no joke. I dont know if that it is legal to throw your racket to score a point in a formal match, but it was the craziest thing I have ever seen and it will never happen again. Also, I've hit 3 people in the balls with my first serve now, one of the guys got hit twice in one match. It's cause soemtimes I go for all out power on a serve, and not really aim it, so it usually goes right at the guy. Very effective shot!

Max G.
09-21-2004, 06:05 PM
I have thrown my racket at a drop shot before and it hit so well that the ball was driven down the line to win the point, no joke. I dont know if that it is legal to throw your racket to score a point in a formal match

No, I don't think it's legal. You need to be holding the racquet to legally hit the ball.

norcal
09-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Also, I've hit 3 people in the balls with my first serve now, one of the guys got hit twice in one match. It's cause soemtimes I go for all out power on a serve, and not really aim it, so it usually goes right at the guy. Very effective shot!
Your net man in doubles must wear a kevlar flak jacket and helmet.

Kaptain Karl
09-24-2004, 02:10 PM
I attended a Catholic college the first two years. One match, against a much better team, my doubles partner “floated” his return -- and did not even warn me. Their net player poached and *pounded* the ball, hitting me squarely in the groin.

I’m rolling around on the ground when my laughing partner reminds me that all the nuns have come out to watch today’s match. It did not help me recover any faster. It just made me laugh and cry at the same time.

- KK