PDA

View Full Version : Roger Federer's Serve

Thanatos
09-02-2004, 05:20 AM
Does anyone have a link to talks or analysis of Federer's serve. I've searched the web and no luck. I think his service motion is graceful and smooth. I much prefer Federer's mechanics over Roddick's.

finchy
09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
well why dont we start a talk about it now? its very simple and controlled which is a very good thing. his serve is what many people SHOULD try to imitate, not roddicks. i actually imitate it myself.

a good knee bend is used and his back is leaned way back also. he is able to do this because of his flexibility, which i know not many people have. in my speculation, he generates great racquet head speed by bringing both arms up, then using the racquet hand, he goes into the "back scratching" position with the racquet, and hits the ball. this is what most good servers do anyways, but i just wanted to let you guys know.

well, thats all i can comment about it now.

Bungalo Bill
09-02-2004, 02:04 PM
well why dont we start a talk about it now? its very simple and controlled which is a very good thing. his serve is what many people SHOULD try to imitate, not roddicks. i actually imitate it myself.

a good knee bend is used and his back is leaned way back also. he is able to do this because of his flexibility, which i know not many people have. in my speculation, he generates great racquet head speed by bringing both arms up, then using the racquet hand, he goes into the "back scratching" position with the racquet, and hits the ball. this is what most good servers do anyways, but i just wanted to let you guys know.

well, thats all i can comment about it now.

I think what you are going to find is Roddicks serve is not so far out as people think. I know several USPTA pros that are breaking down his serve into key elements are saying that Roddicks serve is within guidelines.

He does have some style differences, but as far as arm motion, thrust from the legs, and toss, his serve is not so far out as people think. In fact, I think there is a lot to Roddick's serve that has been either forgotten and now is being resurrected and some new things about his serve that we have yet learned about.

RonP
09-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Bungalo Bill, do you think you could break down federer's service motion? I'm trying to model my service motion after his since it seems smooth and simple.

Thanatos
09-03-2004, 06:12 AM
I also think that R.F serve is physically better on the arms and shoulders, less prone to injuries in the future then A.R serve.

Bungalo Bill
09-03-2004, 09:15 AM
I also think that R.F serve is physically better on the arms and shoulders, less prone to injuries in the future then A.R serve.

Again, I dont think you are going to be correct on this. Where the injury might come from is that Roddick is able to put so much torque on the ball. But as far as his form causing the problem - I will disagree unless evidence is available.

Unless you have studied his serve in slow motion, this is only your opinion which you are entitled to. But remember what an opinion is - it is a comment NOT substantiated by fact.

Bungalo Bill
09-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Bungalo Bill, do you think you could break down federer's service motion? I'm trying to model my service motion after his since it seems smooth and simple.

I can try, right now though I am very busy with writing other tennis articles and my everyday things to do!

lendl lives
09-03-2004, 11:46 AM
the main thing that revolutionary about a rods serve is how he smashes the *%$#@ heck out of it. i watch tape of him and can't believe it. when he was playing marcos i thought to mysef that i wasn't the only one that served faster against weak opponents.

thebeast
09-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I agree about roddick's serve not being very odd. He has some quirky mannerism with his legs and some rather quick jerky like movement before he does much pertaining to his actual serve. His serve illustrates that all the power is the wrist snap and the legs. Too many players think their big wind up is what actually generates power. However, for some players such as federer and many others, the smoothness of the motion is more comfortable and similar to the rest of their strokes. I couldn't ever imagine roger with a serve that wasn't really smooth, like roddicks, it would just appear odd.

I think that roddicks serve may not be more taxing on the arm, but more tiring because it requires such quick explosion. I think roger federer would feel much less tired after 500 serves, then say after roddick would. (assuming they were hitting a similar pace)

Bungalo Bill
09-03-2004, 08:53 PM
I agree about roddick's serve not being very odd. He has some quirky mannerism with his legs and some rather quick jerky like movement before he does much pertaining to his actual serve. His serve illustrates that all the power is the wrist snap and the legs. Too many players think their big wind up is what actually generates power. However, for some players such as federer and many others, the smoothness of the motion is more comfortable and similar to the rest of their strokes. I couldn't ever imagine roger with a serve that wasn't really smooth, like roddicks, it would just appear odd.

I think that roddicks serve may not be more taxing on the arm, but more tiring because it requires such quick explosion. I think roger federer would feel much less tired after 500 serves, then say after roddick would. (assuming they were hitting a similar pace)

Again, Roddick does not snap his wrist! It is not a tiring serve either! His motion is very energy efficient and very effective. I just did a long post analyzing his serve. Why are we migrating back to wrist snaps and other myths about the serve. This is were tennis tips hurt people learning to play. We have these "words" that try to describe things that do not exist in a good serve.

http://tennisplayer.net/members/biomechanics/quantum_tennis_serve%20_brian_gordon_images/roddick.gif
What you can learn from Roddicks serve is:

1. Flexible arm

2. Tosses well out in the court.

3. Compact serve motion.

4. Thrust is generated up to the ball from the legs and hips, shoulders, arm and racquet is thrusting out forward to the ball.

5. Use of the legs and how it compliments where he wants to make contact. In other words, if he tosses the ball three feet out, his legs and body propel him to go out there.

6. Shoulder is very flexible which is where he can get a lot of torque that is sent forward while going up to the ball.

7. He makes contact with the ball when the arm is fully extended and the wrist has leveled!

8. Excellent braking mechanisms

9. Uses his toes as springs to send energy up the body.

http://tennisplayer.net/members/biomechanics/quantum_tennis_serve%20_brian_gordon_images/roddick.gif

I dont see anything wrong with his serve once it gets going. He has his own style before he starts the serve which is where people get confused. This is not a hard serve to duplicate. You just have to practice.

Roddick has effectively combined the methods of the past (forward throwing motion) with the serve methods of today (hip stretch and upward thrust)!

Again, he dies not wrist snap! Please search for my post called "Serve it up article - wrist snap on serve again."

jeebeesus
09-03-2004, 09:51 PM
sorry BB so for the serve, should there be wrist snap or no wrist snap? Things change so fast u blink n it`s gone

Kobble
09-04-2004, 02:27 AM
From Roddick's first move up and toward the ball the arm and racquet go through the same general positions that just about every other big server does. People are forgetting that even "pretty" mechanics are subject to injuries, it is over use of the shoulder joint that is the biggest contributor to shoulder problems. Nature just did not intend for us to hit millions of balls with a service motion to maintain survival. It is a rare and unnecessary activity, therefore, it has not been accommodated for by evolution.

Also, I don't quite get the need for explanation of something that is on a camera in slow motion right in front of you. I know it can be fun to read an entire break down of a player's stroke, but I have a hard time believing that someone who is not willing to study something themselves is going to completely grasp the concepts presented. Also, to truly put every aspect of someone's stroke into words would require pages to explain. You would have to include all the angles of the body and the racquet at the starting position through to the finish, and at the rate along with the timing at which everything occurs. This would be very difficult, and time consuming. The only things worth including in an analysis are the commonly accepted fundamentals that a player exhibits in their stroke, and this stuff has been beaten to death in articles. Figuring out the positions of a player's strokes in slow motion is pretty easy. The real difficulty is working the same positions into your game. To do that requires knowing what you need to feel to achieve a particular movement. A feedback mechanism(coach or camcorder) is required just to get started, and the amount of time it takes to learn the movement is dependent on prior motor skills, effort, and some luck. Just remember, if you are barely willing to learn the material, it is extremely unlikely you will have the discipline to apply it.

thebeast
09-04-2004, 06:16 AM
BB- I read the "serve it up wrist snap thread".

I don't disagree with you, but you didn't neccesarily change my opinion.

"Wrist snap" is a term a lot of people seem to know so I used it because i thought it would be most easily understood here. I guess i didn't realize all it stood for.

For clarification, can you answer this: You aren't proposing the wrist is firm and or stationairy(ie as if it tightly taped up)?

If you do then perhaps we disagree, but i doubt we do.

I think in principle we agree, you just seem to be more clear and effective with the words. Sorry for the confusion and leading anyone in the wrong direction.

For whatever this is worth, i'm not your average 3.5-4.5 adult player. I know what i'm doing and can play alright.

cheers

vin
09-05-2004, 06:13 AM
8. Excellent braking mechanisms

Bill,

If you have the time, could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks.

finchy
09-05-2004, 02:23 PM
of all topics, how could this one be overrun by roddick?

plz get back on topic!!

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2004, 11:20 AM
BB- I read the "serve it up wrist snap thread".

I don't disagree with you, but you didn't neccesarily change my opinion.

"Wrist snap" is a term a lot of people seem to know so I used it because i thought it would be most easily understood here. I guess i didn't realize all it stood for.

For clarification, can you answer this: You aren't proposing the wrist is firm and or stationairy(ie as if it tightly taped up)?

If you do then perhaps we disagree, but i doubt we do.

I think in principle we agree, you just seem to be more clear and effective with the words. Sorry for the confusion and leading anyone in the wrong direction.

For whatever this is worth, i'm not your average 3.5-4.5 adult player. I know what i'm doing and can play alright.

cheers

The entire arm from hand to shoulder is loose or flexible. There is no purposely "snapped" wrist on the serve. The serve is about smooth flow. If you continue to torque the wrist at the ball you risk injuring the tendons in your wrist and arm. People will do it and they will get away with it - for awhile.

When you see Roddick about ready to bring his racquet up from the so called "backscratch" position (another myth), you will see his arm accelerate upward while his wrist is forced back in a laid back position. As the arm slows down as it reached full extension, the wrist catches up and levels the racquet into the ball. It is this motion that the wrist is involved but only in a passive sense.

This "wrist snap" term really can get someone headed down the wrong path as it is loosely used by many players and coaches.

John Yandell wrote an article called the "myth of the wrist snap". This is a very good article. If anything when you are serving and maintain a loose arm, the wrist is more in rotation then it is snapping.

I dont mind you disagreeing with me and you are entitled to your opinion. But just remember my definition of an opinion, it is not backed up by facts.

If you watched the US Open and saw the 1000 fps film capture of Roddicks hand/wrist/arm hitting a ball from the serve, it was clear as day that Roddick and many other pros do not purposely snap their wrists. Clear as day.

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2004, 11:22 AM
of all topics, how could this one be overrun by roddick?

plz get back on topic!!

Finchy, it is on topic we have just taken a little detour. I think you are the one that brought up roddick. ROddicks serve can also be imitated.

Bungalo Bill
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
sorry BB so for the serve, should there be wrist snap or no wrist snap? Things change so fast u blink n it`s gone

All you have to do before you begin your service motion is shake out your arm and get it real loose. Make sure you hold a tight enough grip so the racquet doesnt fly out as you swing it around.

Hit the ball when your arm is extended and you have transferred all of the power you could muster into the ball.

Begin by tossing the ball about a 1 1/2 to two feet forward and nail the sucker.

That is all you need to think about with your arm. Do not move your wrist or purposely twist your wrist. The human body will naturally hit the ball. Just let it fly.

thebeast
09-07-2004, 06:54 PM
BB wrote "The entire arm from hand to shoulder is loose or flexible. There is no purposely "snapped" wrist on the serve."

I couldn't agree more. But it is not as if someone just has their hands cut off and a racquet was taped on the end. The wrist is flexible. That's all i was trying to say.

That said . . .

BB wrote "I dont mind you disagreeing with me and you are entitled to your opinion. But just remember my definition of an opinion, it is not backed up by facts."

I don't think we disagree, do you?

By the way, i normally don't post in the tennis tips forum because i think you do an excellent job of explaining a tennis stroke. That said, I can hit a decent serve. I don't bother having it clocked. i cant put up anything near andy roddick speeds, but i could maybe hit 120-125ish. So its not as if I don't know how to hit a serve, I just can't break down all the mechanics as well as you.

So why did I post: I often see (mainly) adult players who have quirky and stupid motions that don't do anything to help their serve. Just trying to point out that power doesn't come up from the big wind up. Roddicks serve is quite energy effecient in terms of the motion, not much extra stuff going on. That's what I was trying to point out.

Thanatos
09-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Begin by tossing the ball about a 1 1/2 to two feet forward and nail the sucker.

BB- When I toss the ball about 1 1/2-2 ft as you suggested, I keep netting the ball (flat serve). If I toss it directly over my head, I get s higher percentage in. What could be the problem? Am I noting high enough for the extension?

thanks.

Bungalo Bill
09-08-2004, 10:13 AM
BB wrote "The entire arm from hand to shoulder is loose or flexible. There is no purposely "snapped" wrist on the serve."

I couldn't agree more. But it is not as if someone just has their hands cut off and a racquet was taped on the end. The wrist is flexible. That's all i was trying to say.

That said . . .

BB wrote "I dont mind you disagreeing with me and you are entitled to your opinion. But just remember my definition of an opinion, it is not backed up by facts."

I don't think we disagree, do you?

By the way, i normally don't post in the tennis tips forum because i think you do an excellent job of explaining a tennis stroke. That said, I can hit a decent serve. I don't bother having it clocked. i cant put up anything near andy roddick speeds, but i could maybe hit 120-125ish. So its not as if I don't know how to hit a serve, I just can't break down all the mechanics as well as you.

So why did I post: I often see (mainly) adult players who have quirky and stupid motions that don't do anything to help their serve. Just trying to point out that power doesn't come up from the big wind up. Roddicks serve is quite energy effecient in terms of the motion, not much extra stuff going on. That's what I was trying to point out.

No I dont disagree with you at all. I think we just needed to clarify our language. Your comment on the wrist above was excellent, couldnt have said it better myself.

ferreira
09-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey, where did Federer go?
Like a few here, I've adopted Federer's serve motion as a model too. Simple and, most important to me, one of the easiest to build a mental image of. I see no extremes, neither in the knee bend nor in the back arching, probably the reason it seems so simple in visual terms.

Bungalo Bill
09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey, where did Federer go?
Like a few here, I've adopted Federer's serve motion as a model too. Simple and, most important to me, one of the easiest to build a mental image of. I see no extremes, neither in the knee bend nor in the back arching, probably the reason it seems so simple in visual terms.

Yeah I agree, I think we can all see that Roddick does maintain good form once he gets the serve motion going. His uniqueness is more in his beginning position which is his preference.

so lets get back to Federer!

polakosaur
03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
bump, so whers the fed serve analysis

RonP
03-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah, an analysis of Federer's serve would be really nice. Bungalo Bill?

Thanatos
03-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Out of all the sites, I've only found one shot of Federer's serve, which was on tennisone.com. They have several shots of brad gilbert's serve....who cares! I much rather see an analysis of fed since he still #1 for all the right reasons, while roddick is #3.

Bungalo Bill
03-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah, an analysis of Federer's serve would be really nice. Bungalo Bill?

John Yandell has some great footage on his new site. In fact, when I saw him at Indian Wells he was excited about the new footage he got on Federer. Said it was incredible and I can't wait to see it.

If you want the latest instead of old videos, you need to see the man John Yandell on that one. I would highly recommend joining his site.

Plus, I will be heading over there on the bulliten boards if he gets one going because we will be able to drop clips, images, and other cool things right into the posts for education and discussion instead of just links to other websites.

We will be able to use the footage and articles right on the site.

That will be very cool.

RonP
03-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Bungalo Bill:
Is there any other way to see a video clip of his serve without paying to join John Yandell's site? I may be cheap, but I think the cost for the site isn't worth it...

Or

Would you be able to get some video clips from the site and put it on these boards until the board on John Yandell's site gets up? :)

alan-n
03-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Bungalo Bill:
Is there any other way to see a video clip of his serve without paying to join John Yandell's site? I may be cheap, but I think the cost for the site isn't worth it...

For most beginners looking for key fundamentals I think its worth it.

Thanatos
03-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Bungalo Bill:

Or

Would you be able to get some video clips from the site and put it on these boards until the board on John Yandell's site gets up? :)

I think that is stealing and I don't think John Yandell would appreiciate that.
However, has John Yendell thought about offerring a free week trail like tennisone.com or reducing the memebership to get greater enrollment?

thejackal
03-25-2005, 07:11 AM
At the beginning of Fed's motion (right after the toss), I notice that his weight shifts to his heels and then back to the ball of his feet. Woudn't that cause a loss of balance? What do you think, Bungalo?

fastdunn
03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Federer's serving motion, to me, is a no-nonsense textbook style.
The classic tennis trophy look.
Its primary goal seems to be the acuracy. To me, it has a look of a person
who makes sure there is no excessive motion in order to ensure accuracy.
(although he cranks it up occasionally).
It has simple motion with most basic ingredients only.
It looks like something my coach taught me how to serve 1st time.
He said something like "you can add more juice later by doing this and that
but this is the basic. And do not add anything until you can consistently hit it
toward returner's backhand side..."

Bungalo Bill
03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
At the beginning of Fed's motion (right after the toss), I notice that his weight shifts to his heels and then back to the ball of his feet. Woudn't that cause a loss of balance? What do you think, Bungalo?

No it wouldn't.

Many players like Sampras toss as they are moving their center of gravity forward and release the ball either when their center of gravity is a little past midway or the weight over their front foot.

Tossing the ball with your weight more over your front foot is correct because it keeps the ball in front of you instead of you moving your head back under the ball too much during the serve motion.

Obviously, spin serves are a little different but the same concept applies. The movement forward is more for rhythm and many times preference.

thejackal
03-25-2005, 03:38 PM
No it wouldn't.

Many players like Sampras toss as they are moving their center of gravity forward and release the ball either when their center of gravity is a little past midway or the weight over their front foot.

Tossing the ball with your weight more over your front foot is correct because it keeps the ball in front of you instead of you moving your head back under the ball too much during the serve motion.

Obviously, spin serves are a little different but the same concept applies. The movement forward is more for rhythm and many times preference.

Bungalo - I agree with what you are saying, and I have zero experience teaching tennis, but there was just one part of his motion that I find peculiar.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/tvshow/?AssetID=897

In the middle on the movie, when Fed serves to Agassi, the balls of both of his feet leave the ground shortly after his toss. I would just like to know why he does that - is it because he tosses over his head on all serves regardless of the spin he uses, thus forcing him to arch his back more?

ABC
04-12-2005, 01:36 AM
I think that is stealing and I don't think John Yandell would appreiciate that.
However, has John Yendell thought about offerring a free week trail like tennisone.com or reducing the memebership to get greater enrollment?

It's not stealing. Not to Tennisone.com anyway. I joined there site a 2 years ago and download tons of videos.

If Yandell prevents this I will not join. Plus his membership is slighty high for stuff you can basically get from tennisone.

Thanatos
04-12-2005, 09:41 AM
It's not stealing. Not to Tennisone.com anyway. I joined there site a 2 years ago and download tons of videos.

If Yandell prevents this I will not join. Plus his membership is slighty high for stuff you can basically get from tennisone.

The movies (*.mov) does not download to your HD. It's streams directly from the server. Maybe that's why I notice some luggish performance.

finchy
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
i thought you were able to download the videos/movies to your hard drive. i thought thats what bb or JY said. anyways, i heard from people that have used tennisone and tennisplayer that tennisplayer is ALOT better with better detail and realy good explanations.

Thanatos
04-12-2005, 06:59 PM
i thought you were able to download the videos/movies to your hard drive. i thought thats what bb or JY said. anyways, i heard from people that have used tennisone and tennisplayer that tennisplayer is ALOT better with better detail and realy good explanations.

I thought so too. On tennisone.com the clips are downloaded into your temporarily internet files on your HD. On tennisplayer.net it doesn't.

tom-selleck
04-12-2005, 07:25 PM

yes, i think i agree..... i have been watching tapes of federer in indian wells and key biscayne, and what surprises me watching him is how SHORT his motion is..... i'm not saying it's really short, but more that i thought it was a long, loose motion.... in fact, it seems like a shorter, but still relaxed motion.

i think the tennis trophy serving style had been roundly denounced. but maybe prematurely.

certainly open to people disagreeing with this... surprised there isn't more video analysis of federer out there... if i knew more about 1) tennis instruction; 2) computer/video, then i'd do it.

Ten_is
11-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Federer seems very loose.
He raises both arms at the beginning of his toss much like Sampras did with his weight being completely on his back foot. His toss is perfect and he tosses the same on all tosses (kick, slice etc..).

His hips are in, and he arches into his power position very nice. Almost seems like he's holding a shotgun sometimes. He leans well into the serve once he hits it...

What he does really well when he wants to get a winner off his serve.. is he arches his back more in order to explode into it more.

A Platform stance gives him very nice balance.

Take a look at this commentary by Bjorkman at 1:30 of this video. He has more precision with power than any other player
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6259249262636065347&q=roger+federer
Andy Roddick's 140mph serve doesn't even compare in my humble opinion as per this year's US Open with Aces and winners etc..

boojay
11-01-2006, 03:57 PM
nice job resurrecting such an old thread.

actually, i'm working on a hybrid of federer and roddick's serve. I'd like to have the control AND the power. so far.........so much more work to do :D

klngnbrgd
11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
If you didn't notice roddick has very good control on his serve. That is why his serve is so good he has both power and control.

ATXtennisaddict
11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
tennisplayer.net has an excellent analysis and video on fed's serve

psp2
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Its primary goal seems to be the acuracy. To me, it has a look of a person
who makes sure there is no excessive motion in order to ensure accuracy.
(although he cranks it up occasionally).
It has simple motion with most basic ingredients only.
It looks like something my coach taught me how to serve 1st time.
He said something like "you can add more juice later by doing this and that
but this is the basic. And do not add anything until you can consistently hit it
toward returner's backhand side..."

I agree. His service motion from the beginning to the toss to the follow through is EXTREMELY fluid. There is not a single hitch. He never "arms" a serve, rather, he gets a smooth motion resulting in massive racquet head speed.

Sampras' motion is fluid as well.

Ten_is
11-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Re:boojay
Thanks! I'm a big fan and wanna learn ofcourse.

He never "arms" a serve, rather, he gets a smooth motion resulting in massive racquet head speed.

Sampras' motion is fluid as well.

I agree. I much prefer Fed's serve over Roddick. Not because he's number 1 either but because it's fluent.

Now imagine if he tosses the ball more into the court like Sampras did and jumps into the court a bit more what that would do to his serve.

CoconutGT
11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I, too, am imitating Fed's serve. It's coming along quite well. I also got compliments on my form from random people too :)

The other serve that I would consider of copying would be Safin's. My friend recently switched from Fed's platform stance serve to Safin's pin-point. We'll see how that goes.

boojay
11-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I, too, am imitating Fed's serve. It's coming along quite well. I also got compliments on my form from random people too :)

nice.

i'm trying to copy fed's relaxed preparation and rocking motion while copying roddick's half swing, contact, and follow through. I'm sure it's a mess, but I'mma try to make the finish product look somewhat like a serve......

stormholloway
11-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Style is underestimated in tennis. Federer has a very cool motion. Roddick's is kinda dorky, but effective.

tennis_hand
11-02-2006, 01:34 AM
i tried trophy stance, but it doesn't work on me, because I tend to move my feet. At the end I still prefer pinpoint stance.
Trophy does not feel natural to me.

for pinpoint, copy Henman's, or Safin's.

or just copy Pete's. :)

Ten_is
11-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I've always loved Pete's serve. He seemed to jump into the serve very very well. He had the momentum from the weight shift. I think he was Platform but he did move his right foot in when jumping into it.
http://users.swing.be/rico/MAIN/PERSONAL/TENNIS/IMAGE/SamprasServe.jpg

I've studied Roddick's serve religiously. Take a look at his body during the toss. His arm toss is not only vertical but almost behind his head. His body is bent like a bow (bow & arrow) and then he just explodes and rotates his shoulders with nice power coming from his knee bend.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Andy_Roddick_2004.jpg/180px-Andy_Roddick_2004.jpg

With Fed, it's really with his knees and back arching back and he uses his stomach muscles. Lately, I've noticed he not only does that, but he tosses his arm more back. He stays loose and whips it hard.

http://users.swing.be/rico/MAIN/PERSONAL/TENNIS/IMAGE/FedererServe.jpg

My favourite serve form / technique comes from Joachim Johannson. Now he's got some great serve.

Ten_is
11-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I wonder if Jeff from hi-techtennis.com can provide his .02 on some of these serves from the pros.

Ten_is
11-02-2006, 11:06 PM
In regards to snapping wrist during serve?
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/site_furniture/2003/06/20/roddick_serve3.gif

andyroddick's mojo
11-02-2006, 11:25 PM
could someone comment on how fed and roddick toss the ball? I mean, are their arms parallel to the baseline, or is it diagonally to the right of them? I noticed they both use a very well-balanced platform stance. What are some good points of this stance?

Janne
11-03-2006, 01:53 AM
It would be awesome if Jeff could show a slow-motion movie of both Federer and
Safin's serve as I want to copy either of those!

Ten_is
11-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't think Jeff has a video of Fed serving on his website. Try looking at tennisone.com to get an analysis of his serve.

jackson vile
11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't think Jeff has a video of Fed serving on his website. Try looking at tennisone.com to get an analysis of his serve.

At http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/videos/federer.php

there at 6 different videos from different POV that you can slow down even stop at any point.

Safin is there also and ect