PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about slice serve

ghd
09-02-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm always told about using an Eastern b/h grip for Topspin/Kick serves and Continental for flat serves; but what should you use for a slice. It seems a bit odd to me to use an Eastern b/h (even though I can do so for the other spin serves) so should I use a continental instead?

kevhen
09-02-2004, 07:17 AM
I am using a continental now for slice serves but used to use Eastern.

Bungalo Bill
09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm always told about using an Eastern b/h grip for Topspin/Kick serves and Continental for flat serves; but what should you use for a slice. It seems a bit odd to me to use an Eastern b/h (even though I can do so for the other spin serves) so should I use a continental instead?

You can use either. Keep in mind you dont have to use pure anything. Many advanced players find "inbetween" grips to suit their needs. The handles on racquets are different from different racquet manufacturers and so is everyones hands.

Some people can play with pure grips. Others make slight adjustments to suit their needs. I use both grips for the slice. First serves will be more towards the Continental and second serves more towards Eastern BH.

Remember it is not necessarily the grip that determines the spin on the ball. The grip simply helps you feel more comfortable executing the shot. The Eastern BH grip will allow you to get more torque on the ball but it is not a given. you still have to practice with the grip to learn how to get that extra torque.

You still have to glance the ball in the right spot and have the right racquet face angle to impart spin.

ghd
09-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Remember it is not necessarily the grip that determines the spin on the ball. The grip simply helps you feel more comfortable executing the shot. I realise this, it's just that sometimes you have to break from what feels comfortable to get better results. However it seems that there is no one grip I should be aiming to use (as with other serves) so I'll stick with continental. Thanks for the confirmation! :D