PDA

View Full Version : Does playing & winning on certain lines help you move up faster?

ironicqueery
02-14-2007, 07:36 PM
This question is somewhat related to this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=118381

Does playing Line 1 Doubles or Singles, and winning, help you move up to the next level faster? For example, would a 3.0 playing line 1 doubles and winning move up faster to 3.5, rather than a 3.0 playing line 3 doubles?

I understand this doesn't take into account your opponents rated strenght, but answer as best as posssible. For example, would playing line 1 be better because it's more likely you'll play harder opponents? Or is playing line 1 better simply because USTA looks on it more favorably when calculating your ratings?

I hope this makes sense. :)

10sguy
02-14-2007, 07:49 PM
The rating system absolutely DOES NOT take into account the lineup position, period - end of srory.

oldguysrule
02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
This question is somewhat related to this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=118381

Does playing Line 1 Doubles or Singles, and winning, help you move up to the next level faster? For example, would a 3.0 playing line 1 doubles and winning move up faster to 3.5, rather than a 3.0 playing line 3 doubles?

I understand this doesn't take into account your opponents rated strenght, but answer as best as posssible. For example, would playing line 1 be better because it's more likely you'll play harder opponents? Or is playing line 1 better simply because USTA looks on it more favorably when calculating your ratings?

I hope this makes sense. :)

To put it simply...It does not make a difference which line you play. The assignment of line #1, #2, etc. has nothing to do with the strength of the player. The USTA couldn't care less which line you play. The computer doesn't care which line you play. Nobody cares which line you play because it doesn't mean anything. It is just a way of designating which court you will go to.

ironicqueery
02-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the Info. In your opinion, would it be better to play line 1 in hopes of getting opponents of tougher competition?

In my league (austin, tx) it seems like most teams put their best players line 1, next best at line 2, etc.

Or in league play, 3.0 in this case, is a 3.0 a 3.0, so it doesn't matter who I play against, as long as I beat them?

Cruzer
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
If you want to move up go out to beat your opponents as badly as you can. If you rack up a lot of 6-1, 6-0 or 6-1, 6-1 scores against true 3.0 players you very will very likely move up.

cak
02-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Beating a 3.0 6-0, 6-0 is better than beating a 2.51 6-0, 6-0. Problem being on paper, it says they are both 3.0. And a silly experiment a few years back in NorCal where they published peoples ratings out to 3 digits shows that who you think is strong and who the computer thinks is strong don't necessarily line up. Even if the opponents are playing who they think is their strongest team at position 1, it doesn't mean the computer thinks its their strongest team. So Cruzer is right, just win as many games as possible, lose as few as possible, and you will have a better chance of getting moved up.