PDA

View Full Version : Your ;ast Match

Nick Irons
02-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Post your last match; be honest. Keep your overall in parenthesis on the year 2007.

Singles ony; ladies welcome.

Last Match
6-3 - 6-2

(2-0)

NTRP 4.0

Topaz
02-15-2007, 01:54 AM
Why just singles? I won a tournament last weekend, I want to brag...but I guess I can't since it was 'just' doubles. ;)

s_andrean
02-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Haha.

I played for the first time since a 3 month injury lay off yesterday, and I had a pretty odd friendly match.

We decided to play 3 sets, and I lost:

6-4, 13-11, 4-6

Lasting 2 1/2 hours without sitting down.

:)

9000tennis
02-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Indoor training match
Won 5-7, 7-6, 7-6.
My opponent hit around 20 aces, so I had to take him in the tie-breakers :)

Topaz
02-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Haha.

I played for the first time since a 3 month injury lay off yesterday, and I had a pretty odd friendly match.

We decided to play 3 sets, and I lost:

6-4, 13-11, 4-6

Lasting 2 1/2 hours without sitting down.

:)

With that score I would've thought it would be much longer than 2 and half hours!

s_andrean
02-15-2007, 04:25 AM
Oh yea.. its was 3 1/2 hours.. my bad.

Nick Irons
02-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Why just singles? I won a tournament last weekend, I want to brag...but I guess I can't since it was 'just' doubles. ;)

Because it would not be your results.

spiderman123
02-15-2007, 02:43 PM

Oh... Can I post my singles AND doubles match score? At this point, I have won both categories, so want to brag, especially doubles. This may change this weekend.

Singles was 7-5 6-2.

Doubles was 7-6 7-5

We were down 2-5, then were two setpoints down at 3-5 when things happened. That has to be my most memorable match ever. Pity it was doubles as I did not want to play doubles but ... captain's orders :(

Cindysphinx
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Too bad. Around here, USTA matches don't have singles during the winter. So I guess I've no results to announce. . . .

goober
02-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Are we talking official matches or any match including practice matches?

My last match I lost a practice match 6-3, 6-4 to a D3 college player plays #3 singles for a small school. Not sure how good the school is though.

My last official match was a loss in the finals of a 4.0 USTA tourney.

rasajadad
02-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Played #2 singles on my 4.0 team and won 6-2, 6-1.

goober
02-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Played #2 singles on my 4.0 team and won 6-2, 6-1.

Uh didn't you say earlier that you won some 4.5 tournaments? Why are you playing 4.0?

GRANITECHIEF
02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
On Wednesday eve, i picked up my boy from Weil Academy. I scheduled a match and got there early while sonny was still in his private lesson. Match was against a guy who has pretty much been my dubs partner in local tourneys for the last 2 years. I won 6-1,6-0. Thats the worst beatdown i've ever done with that player.

Monday nite i played 2 matches back to back. First one was 6-1,6-1 (absolutely flowing/zoning at the end), and the next was 6-2, 6-0 against a total junkballer. Those were both slightly better than normal, especially the first. The last time i played him it was 6-1,6-4,6-2 and the time before that it was 6-3,4-5 (saved 4 set points then the lights went out). Glad to set the record straight (6-1,6-1) in the last match after struggling just 2 matches ago when i had to save the set points.

Tonite after work i have another match against a guy who played for community college in Santa Barbara. Last match score with him, i won 6-2,7-6(3), which is the closest he's come to me. I've got a lot of breadsticks and bagels in my last few matches, which i hope to continue tonite.

Oh yeah, just counted in my journal: 16-3 (2007). All losses to the same guy, last set was 5-7.

Topaz
02-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Yes, they are. I'm there, I'm part of the team.

Cindysphinx
02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey! I played singles!! After losing our doubles match, we had time to play so my partner and I played singles.

I won, 6-1. :fist pump:

The thing that was cool was that I started to get used to it. I'm a doubles player, so playing singles always feels like I'm playing tennis on a bowling alley. I hit quite a number of fine winners into the alleys, actually. But I settled down and did great.

Maybe I can do this singles thing after all? I just need an approach shot, 'cause right now I have squat.

goober
02-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Maybe I can do this singles thing after all? I just need an approach shot, 'cause right now I have squat.

At the 3.0 level you don't need a great approach shot. As long as you don't give them a sitter you will be fine. Just keep it deep and if possible low. A lot of players will panic if they see you charging the net and will make an error. What you will need is a decent overhead since you will probably be lobbed alot.

GRANITECHIEF
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Tonite after work i have another match against a guy who played for community college in Santa Barbara. Last match score with him, i won 6-2,7-6(3), which is the closest he's come to me. I've got a lot of breadsticks and bagels in my last few matches, which i hope to continue tonite..

Won in 3 sets 6-1,3-6,6-2. First time i lost a set to the guy but credit, he served and played well in the 2nd. (17-3).

GRANITECHIEF
02-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Played a match last nite at Tennis Club of Santa Barbara against a guy a little older than me who used to be a college player, not sure what level.

Anyway, we've had lost of close matches in the past. I'm not sure exactly what our head-head is but i'm guessing i'm up 6-1.

I won 7-6 (4), 6-4. I was down 4-2 (1 break) in the first. Got a break in the first game of the 2nd and rode it to the finish line. (18-3)

GRANITECHIEF
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow, no one else has played a match for a long time.

I played 1 week ago, against a player that usually never lose more than 4 games in 2 sets. Nothing extraordinary in the match to describe, especially a week later. We played 3 sets and i won 6-1,6-2,6-1. (19-3)

Played a match last nite against a player who also usually never should get more than 4 games, although i have saved a few set points in the past in a very unusual battle. I won 6-1,6-1. (20-3).

Finally playing my first tourney of the year this weekend. I'm the 4th seed and it looks like a decent draw until i would meet up with a 6.0 player in the semis. I the last tourney he beat me 6-3.6-1, close first set (1 break and i deuced him up a couple times), not so close second. So after this weekend, i'll have some tourney matches.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43846&E=1

Can someone else please contribute to this thread, or does nobody play singles matches?

spiderman123
03-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I played singles a week ago in the league and lost 3-6 3-6.

My excuses:

1. My forehand sucked so bad that it is a miracle I did not break my racquet.
2. My forehand sucked so bad that it is a miracle I did not break my racquet.
3. My forehand sucked so bad that it is a miracle I did not break my racquet.

(That was no cut paste. I am still so mad that I wrote it three times.)

Yesterday I took a private lesson and the pro told me the problems of the forehand. My opponent was hitting with a lot of top spin and I was putting most of the returns in the net. It got so bad that I started slicing anything and everything.

I worked on it for an hour yesterday and feel a lot better. My next match is a doubles though. I will post about it next week. Hopefully it will not be about blaming my partner ;)

Voltron
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
My last match was against an 18 year old varsity player, I won 6-4. (we ran out of time) I'm 15 so it was pretty surprising.

GRANITECHIEF
03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
^^Nice job, and playing up too.

Speaking of which, my 11-yo step son is playing in the mens open draw in the tourney link i put up. His first open. Good learing experience for him.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-02-2007, 02:01 PM
i lost my second to last match 4-6, 5-7

and my last match i won 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.

GRANITECHIEF
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
i lost my second to last match 4-6, 5-7

and my last match i won 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.

It would be great to add just a bit of color, ie did you turn the tables on someone that usually beats you or vice versa, was there a turning point, what you did well, not so well, etc..

Voltron
03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Your son sounds like a solid player, where did you post that link?

GRANITECHIEF
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Your son sounds like a solid player, where did you post that link?

He's on drawline 16. If he wins two matches and i win one, i'll have to play him, hahahaha!!!!! That would be a trip.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
It would be great to add just a bit of color, ie did you turn the tables on someone that usually beats you or vice versa, was there a turning point, what you did well, not so well, etc..

sure thing

well after not playing since mid december i headed out to the courts of Ymca with my 5 demo raquets that i had aquired. I was playing with a friend from school and summer lessons. Normally matches between us are close but most of the time i pull out victorious. Anyway, i started off 2-0 in the first set and then quickly found myself behind 2-5. So i figured now would be a good come-back time. I won the next game and then he won the set. After than i figured i would pull out and try to drag the match to three as he gets tired quick.

For the next 8 games we broke each other 4 times each to bring it to 4-4 in the second. Same thing again for the next two to 5-5. I was serving to gain the upper hand but after a 4 duece game he came out again, with a break and i wasnt able to recover ending the match at 5-7.

The very next day we played again this time i was determined. Now that i had a day of warm-up with the previous match, i was assured the out-come would be different. After yet again gaining a 2-0 set in the first i was able to hold serve and bring it to 3-0. After being broken twice i found myself in a hard spot down 3-4. I figured at least we were on serve... i didnt win another game. The second set started with me being demoralized and he pulled to a 0-2 lead in the second. Determined to win i started to play with a single raquet of the 5 demos and i was able to break back and stay on serve untill 5-5. I knew it was do or die so i took a few big shoots and found myself up 6-5. Since i was now serving i was a bit worried(my serve is so bad i prefere games when my opponent serves) but i was able to get up 40-30. After a sweet overhead my partner had it at duece. After duece 6 i was finally able to hold for the set.

Being tired but knowing my partner was more tired and demoralized from losing the set we both held serve untill 2-2 in the third. 15 minutes later i had won the match 3-6,7-5,6-2.

I am playing him tommorow, but only for 1 hour since the court fees are $24 an hour!! stay tuned.

GRANITECHIEF
03-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I almost feel like i was there watching, sweet~!!!

AlpineCadet
03-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Post your last match; be honest. Keep your overall in parenthesis on the year 2007.

Singles ony; ladies welcome.

Last Match
6-3 - 6-2

(2-0)

NTRP 4.0

Are you from Southern California?

goober
03-05-2007, 04:41 AM

He's on drawline 16. If he wins two matches and i win one, i'll have to play him, hahahaha!!!!! That would be a trip.

Lol it looks like it happened. Well at least you didn't take it easy on him- ouch the double bagel. Your son must be pretty good since he won his first two matches pretty easily.

GRANITECHIEF
03-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Wow,that was a strange experience. He won his first match against a 16 ish year old, then the second against a 30 ish year old who i thought had a big enough forehand and serve to beat him. The dude was a lower level clone of Moya, running outside the dubs alley to hit western forehands and even wearing the sleeveless shirt to show off his guns. I was wrong, he played smart, consistent, and was able absorb/redirect the power and attack the backhand nicely.

We joked about what we strategy to do to each other over dinner, everything was fine until we started the match. He hooked me on a second serve ace on the FIRST point. Probably not intentionally, as my serve was fast out wide and hit just inside the line. He pointed to a mark that was out, and i told him which mark was correct, proven by the fresh fuzz. No biggy, i gave the DF and went on to hold serve. He has this habit of not calling the score, and getting the score confused has lost him matches before. So i asked him to call the score. I asked him a couple more times, which in combintation with me winning points seemed to upset him. After the first set, i told him don't worry about anything, just play tennis. He settled down a little, but still didn't play his best tennis. At this point, if he was mentally able to play his best, he might get 2-3 games.

I got to play a 6.0 player (lefty) in the semi's, and got whooped. I held serve the first game and that was the only game i won. I got broke in my second serve game then had 15-40 to get to 2-2 immediately after. Really needed to break back but all first serves and sick shots and no dice. I had game points on 2 more of my serve games and got to 15-40 one more time and had a BP in one more game. But the dude's ball was just so heavy, exploding off the court, and always seemed to land about 6-inches from the base line near the opposite corner of where i was.

Curiously, some of the spectators said that i played better than the last time we played, where i lost 6-3,6-1, because of the long games and insane rally's we were having, which were mostly in the first set as my level dropped a little and his rose thru the match. We were chattin watchin the other semi on the next court and i showed him about 15 marks in the duece corner that with all about 6-inch from the baseline. He's like, "yeah, that pretty tough to play against". Nice guy.

The other semi was insane with a 10-8 third set TB. The #2 seed (HS senior, great all courter) was up 6-3,4-1 and started getting a little tentative, as well as a couple very tight calls/hooks by the #3 seed (15-yo super talented future pro lefty). #2 served at 5-4 to close, got hooked on match point then lost 3 games / set. 3 set TB was awesome and even included divine intervention. #2 had MP at 6-5 in TB, ball landed on the base line and was called out. #2 lost the next point and faced MP. Long rally, #3 set up his huge lefty FH up the line and the ball clipped the net and set up just enough for #2 to get to it and send it deep x-court. Couple balls later #2 got to the net, #3 hits goes for a toppy lob and #2 hits a winning backhand backhand OH, WOW freakin WOW crowd goes wild. #3 wins shortly after. Sick@!!

So now its #1 vs #2 buts like a 6.0 vs a 5.5, so my guess is #1 wins 6-3,6-2, which is what my score should have been against him.

edberg505
03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow,that was a strange experience. He won his first match against a 16 ish year old, then the second against a 30 ish year old who i thought had a big enough forehand and serve to beat him. The dude was a lower level clone of Moya, running outside the dubs alley to hit western forehands and even wearing the sleeveless shirt to show off his guns. I was wrong, he played smart, consistent, and was able absorb/redirect the power and attack the backhand nicely.

We joked about what we strategy to do to each other over dinner, everything was fine until we started the match. He hooked me on a second serve ace on the FIRST point. Probably not intentionally, as my serve was fast out wide and hit just inside the line. He pointed to a mark that was out, and i told him which mark was correct, proven by the fresh fuzz. No biggy, i gave the DF and went on to hold serve. He has this habit of not calling the score, and getting the score confused has lost him matches before. So i asked him to call the score. I asked him a couple more times, which in combintation with me winning points seemed to upset him. After the first set, i told him don't worry about anything, just play tennis. He settled down a little, but still didn't play his best tennis. At this point, if he was mentally able to play his best, he might get 2-3 games.

I got to play a 6.0 player (lefty) in the semi's, and got whooped. I held serve the first game and that was the only game i won. I got broke in my second serve game then had 15-40 to get to 2-2 immediately after. Really needed to break back but all first serves and sick shots and no dice. I had game points on 2 more of my serve games and got to 15-40 one more time and had a BP in one more game. But the dude's ball was just so heavy, exploding off the court, and always seemed to land about 6-inches from the base line near the opposite corner of where i was.

Curiously, some of the spectators said that i played better than the last time we played, where i lost 6-3,6-1, because of the long games and insane rally's we were having, which were mostly in the first set as my level dropped a little and his rose thru the match. We were chattin watchin the other semi on the next court and i showed him about 15 marks in the duece corner that with all about 6-inch from the baseline. He's like, "yeah, that pretty tough to play against". Nice guy.

The other semi was insane with a 10-8 third set TB. The #2 seed (HS senior, great all courter) was up 6-3,4-1 and started getting a little tentative, as well as a couple very tight calls/hooks by the #3 seed (15-yo super talented future pro lefty). #2 served at 5-4 to close, got hooked on match point then lost 3 games / set. 3 set TB was awesome and even included divine intervention. #2 had MP at 6-5 in TB, ball landed on the base line and was called out. #2 lost the next point and faced MP. Long rally, #3 set up his huge lefty FH up the line and the ball clipped the net and set up just enough for #2 to get to it and send it deep x-court. Couple balls later #2 got to the net, #3 hits goes for a toppy lob and #2 hits a winning backhand backhand OH, WOW freakin WOW crowd goes wild. #3 wins shortly after. Sick@!!

So now its #1 vs #2 buts like a 6.0 vs a 5.5, so my guess is #1 wins 6-3,6-2, which is what my score should have been against him.

Pretty good summary of the match. Wow, the guy you played against in the Semis must be pretty good. And your son must be getting pretty darn good as well. I'd like to hit against him the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. So, does this Samuel Webster guy play futures or challengers? Next time you should take a camcorder to tape it. I'm not sure what the next tournament is that I'm playing in but I'll try to record mines as well.

GRANITECHIEF
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Pretty good summary of the match. Wow, the guy you played against in the Semis must be pretty good. And your son must be getting pretty darn good as well. I'd like to hit against him the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. So, does this Samuel Webster guy play futures or challengers? Next time you should take a camcorder to tape it. I'm not sure what the next tournament is that I'm playing in but I'll try to record mines as well.

Yeah, i think he has played a little of both. Here is his rap sheet. Do a filter (date thingy on the right) from 6-3-1999 to 6-3-2007.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/activity.asp?player=30016578

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=0&year=2006&query=Doubles&selTournament=0&player=W419&x=9&y=6

I would've like to have taped it, but i don't think it would've been that pretty. I think i got kinda inconsistent/sloppy from the pressure.

rum02
03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
last match i played was a friendly, against a good friend. he's the guy at school that seems
to be the best in almost all sports. it was the day i got my new racquet (pure drive cortex). we played best of five sets. i beat him 6-1, 6-4, 6-1. to be fair tennis isn't his no. 1 sport like it's mine but i still beat him :D the last "proper" match i played was in a junior (u/18's) tournament. it was the final and i went down 8-4 (not sure why the games went to eight), i'm a counter-puncher, i seemed to have his measure from the baseline, but when he started serve-volleying i struggled to pass and lob him. although this was when i had my crappy prince: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=120451&highlight=prince+ti+serve
ahh... if only i could blame the racquet on all my loses.

JRstriker12
03-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Just played last night for my team in a 3.5 mens doubles league. I'd never played with my partner before, so I was happy when we pulled it out 7-6, 4-6, then winning 10-4 in the tie break to win the match. We won inspite of my partner breaking his strings and having to use my other racket - he forgot to to pick up his spare from the tennis shop since it was being restrung. He was inpressed withe the Bab PD-R.

The first set was extremely close and we came back from being down a break to win the first set tie break 7-5. I hit a sweet down-the-line forehand winner on the run to win the tie break.

Don't know what happened second set. The team broke both our serves but we broke back to keep it close. Lost that set on my partner's serve at 4-5. It was weird how we got sloppy in the second set, but seemed to shift into a higher gear in the tie breaker. I was very proud that we didn't let the presure situation get to us. I think I felt better in the tie breaker than I did in the second set. Of course, when we went up 6-1 in the breaker, The presure was basically on the other team.

Our opponents were okay. The one guy had a nice serve and a hard forehand. He hit a few aces but also a few double faults. One srevice game for him went Ace, DF, DF, DF, DF. I manged to block most of his serves back, and once the ball was in play, I think me and my partner usually had the edge.

Feels good to get the win! We were on court 1 - the #1 doubles for our team and we won, but unfortunately, the rest of our team lost thier matches - Bummer!

thehustler
03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
6-1, 6-3, 6-2, 6-1. 4.0 2 hours for all of this. Was tougher than it sounds. Lots of long points, my opponent however didn't hold until his 8th service game. Oh how I love a freshly strung racquet.

MIRO_1975
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I played doubles yesterday from 6 - 8pm together with a friend of our tennis club against two other guys (indoor court with carpet).

1st set:
we led 4-3 and had three break balls but lost the set 4-6...:-(

2nd set:
6-3 for us!:-D

3rd set:
lost champions tiebreak 2-10...:-(

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Cool match recounts everyone, keep em coming. I haven't played since the tourney last weekend and i'm starting to get the itch. But everything is on hold until my wife gets the baby out. Too bad too, cuz i have a chance to play the dude i've lost 3 matches to this year, but i can't really confirm a match plan. Soon i hope.

oldguysrule
03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
First singles match this year. 4.0 practice match. I lost 6-1, 7-5, 6-2. Nice cool evening. Hardcourts. Last year my opponent and I played very close. This match, I was on the defensive from the beginning. I actually played pretty well. Lots of serve and volley from both of us. He hardly missed a shot in the 1st and 3rd sets.

cghipp
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I played a 3.5 match at #1 singles and my opponent was a weak 3.0. Won 6-0, 6-0 but had to struggle at times to maintain my concentration. I thought it was good practice for trying to maintain the killer instinct and not have a letdown.

Then I had a 4.0 doubles match, playing #2. We won it in a third set tiebreaker, but we were very frustrated, playing soft hitters in heavy wind. As my partner said, it was "like playing Ping Pong in a wind tunnel." We played home run derby in the first set and lost it, but managed to pull it together and dominate the rest of the match.

GRANITECHIEF
03-08-2007, 09:36 AM

Just a note to wrap up last weekends tourney. The #1 seed beat the #2 seed in the finals last nite by a score of 6-0,6-1, and didn't face a break point. I also only won 1 game, but 6 break point chances and several game point chances, so even though the score was the same, i played him slightly tougher. However, they did have some wicked points. The #1 guy is sorta sandbagging, but it was an "open" draw. Anyway, fun to play against his level, and i feel like i could've gotten to the final if i was on the opposite side of the draw. Maybe next time.

goober
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
The #1 guy is sorta sandbagging, but it was an "open" draw. Anyway, fun to play against his level, and i feel like i could've gotten to the final if i was on the opposite side of the draw. Maybe next time.
Hah I didn't think it was possible to sandbag in an open tournament :D
Current D1 players and low level pros often show up at the big open tourneys.

GRANITECHIEF
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Hah I didn't think it was possible to sandbag in an open tournament :D
Current D1 players and low level pros often show up at the big open tourneys.

Thats the thing, it was a no money, small open tourney.

edberg505
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Just a note to wrap up last weekends tourney. The #1 seed beat the #2 seed in the finals last nite by a score of 6-0,6-1, and didn't face a break point. I also only won 1 game, but 6 break point chances and several game point chances, so even though the score was the same, i played him slightly tougher. However, they did have some wicked points. The #1 guy is sorta sandbagging, but it was an "open" draw. Anyway, fun to play against his level, and i feel like i could've gotten to the final if i was on the opposite side of the draw. Maybe next time.

Wow, he got blown off the court. Was the #2 guy remotely good? Or maybe he just had a bad day. But for a #2 seed to get spanked like that is pretty unusual.

GRANITECHIEF
03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Wow, he got blown off the court. Was the #2 guy remotely good? Or maybe he just had a bad day. But for a #2 seed to get spanked like that is pretty unusual.

Yeah, #2 is good, i think i would have a very close match with him. But his bad day was caused by the fact that he a 5.5 playing a 6.0, give or take.

finky
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok folks,you may laugh but my wife killed me in the one practice set we played tonight .....2-6 . I have a UK rating of 7.2 (US 3.0/3.5?)....and she plays for Great Britain. However, she is 10 years older than me.

Anyway, I win about one in 10 sets we play . I tell ya she is a freakin'machine....no spin whatsoever , not much of a serve, but an absolute Steffi forehand, strong backhand and tremendous balance and footspeed.

Jeez, I'm in love!

Topaz
03-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Got beaten bad tonight...6-1, 6-0. But, she was a 4.0 and I'm a 3.0, so not *that* bad, right?

At least I got one game, and I took her to deuce a few times!

GRANITECHIEF
03-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Worked on my serve/volley last nite. Won 6-1,6-0,6-1,6-0. I made more winning volleys than i ever have in one session. Against the tougher players, i have to do more of that cuz my 6'5" frame isn't suited to beating super good baseliners from the baseline and if i'm making volleys, i can be imposing at the net. (24-4)

cghipp
03-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Were you playing best of seven?

GRANITECHIEF
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Naah, we were going to stop after the 3rd, but since it only took like 15 min, we decided to keep going.

peter
03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I won a tournament match today!! 6-3, 6-0. Felt some nerves in the first set but then it started feeling better (even though my opponent was playing a strange kind of game and gave me almost no speed).

http://www.atvid-tk.org/tavling/gubbaspelen/2007/klasser/hs35/

Next match is against a former Swedish Davis Cup player ("Bragd-Birger" - he played in the DC team together with Björn Borg around 1975 in some a couple of ties)... He's much slower today, but has awesome precision and can still hit the ball *hard* so I'll have my hands full tomorrow.

Me (to the right) after the match:
http://www.atvid-tk.org/tavling/gubbaspelen/2007/bilder/freddie_peter/

My next opponent (to the right, the guy to the left is about my height...):
http://www.atvid-tk.org/tavling/gubbaspelen/2007/bilder/fredrik_birger/

onehandbh
03-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Just started playing some singles again in the last couple weeks.
Still using the PS 85. Will be trying to switch to the K90 soon.

MATCH #1:
Won 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 against a pure baseliner. Played serve and volley in
first & second set and stayed back in the second set. Probably hit a little
over 50% first serves but still came in on everything. I think the
constant pressure of going to the net forced a lot of errors from my
opponent. Not sure what level the opponent was. Plays for a small
local college. I think I have a bit more footspeed than my opponent
and a bigger serve so it is a tough matchup for him.

MATCH #2:
Lost 5-7 against big 5.0 guy with a pretty big game. I haven't really
returned against anybody quite that big in a while (6'7"?). During the
warmup I knew I might be in for a battle b/c he had a pretty good
movement as well. I let him serve first (probably not a smart thing
but it was just a practice match) and I think I lost the game at love.
Wasn't used to such high bouncing serves. Lots bouncing over
head-high+ if I didn't position myself properly. I held serve the next
game but I knew I might be in for a struggle since I had trouble
getting my first serves in so I started hit more spin on the first
serves instead so I wouldn't have to hit as many second serves.
Almost all the games went to deuce. I got broken
around 3-4 and then broke back. I used my slice to move him around
and also occasionally hit baseline drop shots to bring him into
the net. He had a big forehand and really punished weak returns
so there was a bit of pressure on my return game. Overall I would
give myself a B in terms of returns. Didn't do a whole lot with them
but got them back in play and was usually able to get into a neutral
baseline rally. At 5-5, after a long deuce game he held to go up
6-5. Then another long deuce game on my serve game before he
finally broke me. Overall, aside from a bit of struggles with my
serve I played pretty well. Hit a few too many short crosscourt
forehands w/o enough angle or depth and paid the price for it.
Need to work on my wide deuce court slice serve. Had poor location
and not enough slice on it. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun
and got into a lot of good rallies/points.

Topaz
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Redeemed myself a bit tonight...won 4-6, 6-3, 10-4. My opponent was a 3.5 (I'm a 3.0), but a 3.5 who is really a doubles player, not a singles player. Her backhand slice gave me a horrible time, and she definitely beat me at the net. This was the first time in a singles match that I felt I had to stay at the baseline to win.

JZImmer123
03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I got the double bagel last singles match I played 2 weeks ago. 6-0, 6-0. Since we were the last ones on court that day, he wanted to play another set for fun, and he gave me another bagel! Talk aboot a bad day! 8 of those games in the match (not counting the 3rd set) went to deuce, but I couldn't come through in the clutch. Damn the no-ad rule, though it probably wouldn't have help me anyway! Not taking anything away from him though, he was on fire.

The bad thing was I had played him 3 times before and beat him pretty bad. I remember thinking before the match started that I could finish of this match in less than 45 minutes. That's what I get for being cocky. KARMA!

peter
03-17-2007, 09:30 AM
League match today. I played 1:st singles and doubles.

1:st Singles:
6-1, 7-5 (I was down 1-4 in the second set before I started a comeback)

2:nd Singles:
6-0, 6-3

Doubles:
6-2, 6-2

Happy! Happy! Happy!

(Tomorrow we have another league match - at the same place, but against a different team - a team that very probably will beat us in straight sets, and possibly giving us some bagles too... :-)

diegaa
03-17-2007, 09:59 AM
i played a friendly match yesterday and won 61 64. This guy plays way worse than me, but somehow i got to his level (and speed) on that second set. :neutral:

peter
03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
(Tomorrow we have another league match - at the same place, but against a different team - a team that very probably will beat us in straight sets, and possibly giving us some bagles too... :-)

Yep.

Singles 1 (me): 0-6, 0-6
Singles 2: 2-6, 0-6
Doubles: 3-6, 2-6

(I played singles 1 and doubles). Atleast we avoid a bagel in the doubles match!! :-)

The Grand Slam
03-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Played a match with my friend today. I was under pressure serving at 4-5 in the first set and I guess I just cracked.. the last game of that set was over just like that.

I bounced back quickly though.. I won 16 of the first 19 points of the second set to take a 4-0 lead. He almost held but I managed to break again for 5-0.. didn't have any problems serving out that set. 6-0.

The third set was tight. So many deuces. The first four games of the set all featured break points that failed to be converted. But then as he was serving at 2-2, I decided to try something a little different. After barely managing to get a first serve return back, I charged the net.. he wasn't ready for that because he knows I never do that. ;) Nevertheless I took advantage of the scenario that followed and hit a nice forehand volley crosscourt, out of his reach. I was up 30-0 in that game at 3-2.. when the lights went out. :P

kevhen
03-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Played #1 singles for my 4.0 team and won 6-3, 6-1 this past Saturday. Played a guy who was a consistent baseliner but out of shape. I angled him and dropshotted him to death after having a slow start as the score was 3-3 before I won 9 of the last 10 games.

Topaz
03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I won another singles match (3.0), but jeez...I sure don't make it easy on myself!

Got up 4-0 real fast. Other girl started coming back, I started spraying forehands. Boom...I lose 4-6!

Still trying not to panic! Next set I break, go up 3-1. Lose my break. Get another break, and serve for the set at 5-3, and after *multiple* deuces, hit an insane volley to close out the set.

Yes, I'm a 3.0, and I come to net even in singles!!!! ;)

Now it is time for the third set tie-break...first to 10 by 2 for those of you who don't play them. I go up 8-1, and then, right on cue, my brain checks out. I manage to stay ahead, and I'm serving at 9-8. She hits a ball long, match over! WHEW! I think she thinks I hooked her on the last call, but I didn't, it was out by a few inches.

Any ideas as to how to stop being so streaky?

peter
03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Yet another 0-6, 0-6 loss. *Sigh*

Not much to do really. Too good. (I hade a couple of chances in my serve to grab a game or two but couldn't convert them...)

Time to look forward to the next tournament instead! (Club Championsships probably).

AlpineCadet
03-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Earlier yesterday, I had challenges from 5 people, 3 of which were top 5 on my ladder. It was very hectic and tiring, but I endured, and in the end, unbelievably, I won all five games with 6-0's!!! It was the best tennis day of my life, nothing could go wrong, everything I hit landed in, my footwork was amazing, and so was my shot anticipation, but then I woke up..

:grin:

JRstriker12
03-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Earlier yesterday, I had challenges from 5 people, 3 of which were top 5 on my ladder. It was very hectic and tiring, but I endured, and in the end, unbelievably, I won all five games with 6-0's!!! It was the best tennis day of my life, nothing could go wrong, everything I hit landed in, my footwork was amazing, and so was my shot anticipation, but then I woke up..

:grin:

You played 5 matches in a single day???? :shock:

JRstriker12
03-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Lost the other day 5=7, 2-6 in my mens doubles league match. The guys we payed were pretty good. My captain said one of them was a 4.0 and this is supposed to be a 3.5 league (it's a non-usta) league.

One one hand, I feel okay about my performance. The other team hit some very hard flat balls, but I was very agressive at the net and my movement made them miss a few times, and I got some good put-aways at the net.

However, I choked at 5-6 and lost that set on my serve and my backhand disappeared. I was also a little annoyed at my partner, who seemed so awed by how hard they guys could hit. Yeah they hit hard, but they missed about 60% of thier first serves and sprayed returns all around the court. What really got me was we managed to get a few break points but never converted. I thought we could have won the first set if we converted even one break point, it would have helped to swing the momentum our way. Loosing chances to break seemed to take away any fear that we could threaten them on thier serve. Oh well, until next time.

AlpineCadet
03-24-2007, 10:15 PM
You played 5 matches in a single day???? :shock:

Umm, didn't you read the entire post? LOL.

travlerajm
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Won 6-0, 6-4 in my 4.5 league doubles match. My partner and I broke serve 7 times in a row. I'm having some double fault issues on my serve that I need to iron out before it costs me a match. I served terribly for the 2nd match in row - I can't seem to find a reliable rhythm on serve, and when I stop swinging all out, the problem gets worse. I haven't lost a league match since the fall, but this Coria-itis problem on my serve is bugging me. The rest of my game is clicking, but every game on my serve is an adventure.

darkblue
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
7-5, 6-2
(3-0 for 2007)

despite 4-5 points won by the other player due to his cheating, i prevailed. i hate playing cheating spin crazies. it felt good to take one of those loopy fhds for a swinging volley winner.

TheGreatestAudia
03-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, my year has been pretty good so far. I'm currently 5-1 this year and 12-1 in organized tennis since starting in early August of last year. My best win came this past Monday when I played the number one player in my division, tenth in a league of about four hundred. My confidence was not very high since I had lost a match to a guy who is in his mid-forties with a huge knee brace in three sets. I'm in great shape, mid 20s, and pride myself with my constant focus. He got in my head and no matter what I tried, I couldn't blow him off the court like I had with almost every other opponent I had played so far.

I had to give you a little background before this match. The guy was in his late 30's and had a little bit of a gut. About 6'4'' and a great forehand. On to the match. I started out fine enough. We both held until he was serving down 2-3. He quickly went up 40-15 and looked like he had the game in control when he DF and at 40-30, I hit a backhand winner down the ad-court line. (I'm a lefty.) This put us at deuce but he seemed to be a little rattled and I quickly won the next two points and went on to win the set 6-4. I felt great. Serve was slicing and flat serve was much too hard for him to handle whenever I reached back for it to throw him off balance. In the second set, I got a little complacent and started to hit too many backhand slices. This allowed him back into the match even after I won three of the first four games. I tightened up and ended up losing the 3-6. My focus was gone and I started to have that crappy feeling of "how could I put myself in this situation?" I kept on telling myself, "Just shake it off and play your game." This proved very useful because I went back to hitting topspin winners instead of wasting time and slicing until I saw an opportunity. I had to take the initiative. I was up 2-1 and slowly took complete control of the match. He started to run out of gas and before I knew it, I was up 5-1 with him serving to stay in the match. We went to deuce at least three times and he finally got lucky with a shot that hit the tape and just rolled over. Eh, whatever. I won the next game and concluded a great and exciting match. Lots of fun.

kevhen
03-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Won last night in a league doubles match partnered with a 4.5 against a 4.5 and aggressive strong 4.0 player. We won 6-2, 6-3 and then played a third set for fun which we lost 6-7 (6).

The two 4.5s are consistent baseliners that don't like to come to net so many forehand rally exchanges would last 10 shots or more. They hit too hard and have to much control to poach so we just stay in the one up and one back position. I wish they would come in behind a good deep shot or learn how to slice approach, but these guys were nationally ranked D3 singles players but not as strong in doubles.

drakulie
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
6-1, 6-0. I beat some punk called Murray???

spiderman123
04-02-2007, 08:10 AM
6-1, 6-0. I beat some punk called Murray???

Congratulations on winning the title. You played great yesterday :)

drakulie
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
^^^ Thank you. :)

GRANITECHIEF
04-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Played a match on Friday eve against dude who is 6'4", 245ish, uses a PS 85, his brother was sampras coach in HS, and is probably a 5.0. Shortly after starting the match, we each got a beer, a 60 oz beer, Firestone for $5 each. Ahh the classic Friday Happy hour at the club tennis. I was using a demo FXP Prestige Midplus. Got up an early break, lost it to go to 4-4, saved a couple set points getting to TB. Dude bricked a super easy short slow high FH Volley at 4-4 in TB. I closed it out 7-4.

I put on my Max Mirnyi hat, came to the net on everthing and won the second 6-1. Set point i was going to chip/charge but chip was too short so he charged and i hit a sweet BH topper that we both watched in slow motion drop for a winner.

He was a little tired but pist about getting spanked, plus we still had lots of beer left, so we played a third. Got that one 6-3. Fun stuff. (25-4)

Played a match yesterday against a strong 4.5/weak 5.0 that i usually beat, losing about 4-5 games. I was demoing the Prince O3 Hybrid tour. Hitting really heavy with it, i went up 4-1, when the string popped. TW really need to have the option of getting demo's with a poly hybrid, cuz it was the 2nd stick with NXT that i popped in short order. Got the FXP Prestige, which was hanging by thread (fraying string) and closed out the 1st 6-1. I really liked the racket, good spin, heavy ball. Need to demo more before switching though as i am pretty much decided to switch to FXP Prestige from Rad.

The dude offers beer, of course, i accept the Negro Modelo graciously, and then he starts playing really good in the second. He hit a couple second serve aces, and kept hitting annoying winners behind me on his game points to get to 2-2,3-3,4-4, when i finally broke and served out the set.

Pretty much the same it the third but the Prestige NXT's popped, and i played with my FXP radical, which has a poly hybrid. I was actually down an early break and almost went down 3-0, but broke back (not the mountain) and got a break at 4-4 again. Tougher than usually with the dude but credit, he played good. (26-4)

thanatos2948
04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Okay check this out for ruining your day. I play 3.5 singles on my team. Played #1 last year and I am fighting for that spot again this year. Was up 5-2 in the second set after winning the first set. Ended up losing 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 and the worst part is I had 2 match points at 5-2. Talk about losing your focus.

GRANITECHIEF
04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Got to play a match after work last nite. Played a dude who used to play for Santa Barbara City College. Won 6-1,6-3. I had to hang tough and fight off 15-40 at 3-3 in the second. First point was an ace, second point i won a backhand rally exchange. Then in the next game i capitalized with a break, held and actually ended up breaking again. (27-4)

Advice: even though it is obvious, always concentrate big time facing break points, and always look to break in the next game, whether you got broken or not. Something psychological happens with missed opportunities that can open doors.

Buchhalter
04-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Here are my last 2, from 4.5 league play. I am posting 2 because I have a question.
Lost 7-6,4-6, 8-10(match tb)
Lost 6-4,3-6, 5-10 (mathc tb)
I am registered as a 4.0. Someone told me I will get moved to 4.5 evan though I lost. Is that true? Thanks.

On the bright side, I was pleased with both results, as I have not played singles in years, and barely get to play doubles.

hasema
04-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I am really not a singles player and have a hard time starting the match. i make alot of unforced errors.

I played 3.5 #1 singles an won!!
4-6 6-1 (tie breaker)10-8

The weekend before i won at #2 singles
1-6 6-2 (tie breaker)10-5

I feel like i can beat these guys but i can't get it started. I can get break points in 1/2 of their service games but always shank it or hit into the net.

go_nadal
04-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Played in an open tournament... Lost 6-2 6-2 to the number 3 seed...

GRANITECHIEF
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
I ended up playing the same dude as i did in post #75. He had emailed me telling me that he beat this mutual player 6-0,6-1 and that he was ready to take me out. Naturally i obliged him and we battled last nite, in a bit of wind.

I strung up one of my old LM Rad MP's with some new Topspin Poly Polar (58 lbs) which I had never tried before. I could tell while stringing it, by the stretch/elongation, that i was going to like it.

Started out well, served up a bagel in the 1st set. Got broken in the first game of the second (don't you hate that) & he held, 0-2. I held and broke back after a couple long games and ended up breaking again 2 more time for a 6-3 win.

He was game for another set and i pretty much always am. He played well while i became frustrated with him playing well and the wind. Even though i was up an early break, there i was at 15-40 serving at 4-5 = 2 set points. Good 1st serve on the first one and a FH winner. Whew!! Missed the 1st serve on the second and was nervous on the 2nd serve cuz of the wind. But i made it and played a good point. Whew, again !!! Closed out the game and broke at 5-5. Faced BP serving for the set but ended up closing it out with a clean FH winner x-court. Sweet!! I probably should have at least had a couple sips of water and a power bar. That probably would've improved my performance in the 3rd set. But no worries, i squeaked it out anyways and dominated the 1st two sets. (28-4)

peter
04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
First round, club championsships:

2-6, 7-5, 7-5 (7-5) after 2 hours of really crappy tennis (I just could _not_ serve today, and my groundstrokes had absolutely no bite). So after I lost that first set I thought to myself - "Oh ****. It's one of those days. Time to dig deep and fight an ugly battle.". And to top it off I started getting cramps in my right (hitting) arm at 5-3 in the last set...

So... I'm *HAPPY* and *TIRED*. And just wanna scream: YEEEEAHAAA!!

Cindysphinx
04-15-2007, 08:01 PM
You guys are the best coaches! Thanks to your sound advice, I won (3.0 level) No. 1 singles tonight, 6-1, 6-2. :Whoop!:

Several people here advised me to pay attention during the warm-up and scout your opponent. Good advice, that. I saw that she hit her forehand pretty well and deep such that I had trouble getting those balls back in warm-up, and she had some pop on her serve. Her one-handed backhand looked a little suspect, and she dumped every single volley into the bottom of the net. Good to know.

I won the toss and elected to serve, hoping to show some confidence I didn't have. It quickly went to love-40, with her punishing my tight, cupcake second serves down the line for winners. I hung in there and held, and I noticed a few thing. If I could just get the ball back 4 times, the point was mine. Gee, that's exactly what my TW coaches had said!

I promptly threw Wardlaw's Directionals out the window and tried to hit every ball to her backhand. I also noticed that she tended to try to hit winners up the line, so I cheated that way as much as possible. You all had also told me where to stand, so I made sure not to creep in front of the baseline.

For the second set, I gave up completely on good singles fundamentals. I hit every ball either to her backhand or wherever, with most of my balls bouncing at the T, and I waited for her to miss. I played a number of drop shots off of her soft second serve, and that was effective, and I even remembered to follow a couple to the net. Toward the end of the match, she started coming to net, but it was easy to lob her or just hit any old groundstroke to pass her.

It was definitely an ugly win – I had almost no real winners but instead just hung around -- but I'll take it. I guess that officially makes me a Pusher. Who cares? The singles monkey is off my back!

Areas for improvement? I lost pretty much every point where I came to net because my volleys were quite lame. It's so much harder to volley in singles because with so much more court to defend and you can't crowd the net unless you like being lobbed. These poor results caused me to stop even trying to get to net, regardless of how short her ball was. Must work on putting away the volley in singles.

Oh, my team lost 2-3. Oh well.

kylebarendrick
04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Congrats Cindy - it's nice to see that you got a payoff for your hard work.

I won my match today (doubles ) 6-1, 6-2 against two self-rated players with little experience. That showed up in their inability to get serves in play. I'm now 3-1 in my first season as a 3.5, but I haven't come up against any particularly strong players yet.

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
last match was on 4/13/2007 had a 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(10) victory yay! amazingly i was down 5 match points in the tiebreak and made the ultimate comeback!

my '07 record is 8-4

NTRP 3.5ish

theRadical
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Just because you were consistant doesn't make you a pusher! good job

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Just because you were consistant doesn't make you a pusher! good job

if you don't hit any winners, then you're a pusher.

AlpineCadet
04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Nice job everyone!

peter
04-16-2007, 01:45 AM
Last 3 matches (all this weekend) from our club championsship:

Friday, Singles: 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
I _won_ after 2 hours of hard battle and not beautiful tennis. Could not serve and all my shots were lame and really not efficient. But atleast I won!!

Sunday, Singles match: 6-4, 3-6, 2-6
I lost after litte over 2 hours of hard battle. First set I play the best I've been playing in _ages_. Serve was working!!!

Sunday, Doubles match: 5-7, 6-4, 1-6
We lost after yet another 2+ hour hard battle match... (We played that doubles match right after the singles match - and I partnered with the guy I had played in the singles match :-)

Today: I'm tired... :-)

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-17-2007, 05:57 PM
just had a one set match 6-2 victory yesterday. that puts me in a 2-1 lead in our match record against my friend.

our first match i won 8-3 in a 8-game pro set.
second time we played i lost 3-6./ bad times.

tenniskid3119
04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I lost my last match
6-2, 6-7(5), 12-14 super-tie break for 3rd set

all this kid did was drop shot it every shot. chicken ****....

Bigtime
04-18-2007, 08:09 AM
3.0 USTA League match, won 6-4, 6-4 #1 singles (third league match ever, 1st two were doubles, which I'm just learning)

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
just had a 3-6, 2-6 defeat 6 hours ago. played #3 singles!

JRstriker12
04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Strange match in my (non-usta) doubles league.

First of all, we were playing on Hard-Tru indoors. I'd like to smack that guy who came up with that idea. The court was very damp and the balls got really heavy and dirty really quick. It wasn't very fun to move on either as it was too damp to slide.

Anyway, inspite of my partner forgetting how to serve, we went out to a 4-0 lead. We then dumped 4 games in a row. We brought it back to win 6-3 in the first set.

Second set was utter crap. We were on the side that had a light blown out and I guess we played worse than the other team under than condition. We lost that one 0-6. Ugh!!!! the Bagel. Don't know what the heck happened there.

Went to a 10 point tie break. We broke out to a 3-0 lead. Squandered the lead, but came back and won the tie break 10-8. Whew!!! Pulled than one out.

BTW - props to Cindy for her singles win.

JR

GRANITECHIEF
04-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Strange match in my (non-usta) doubles league.

First of all, we were playing on Hard-Tru indoors. I'd like to smack that guy who came up with that idea. The court was very damp and the balls got really heavy and dirty really quick. It wasn't very fun to move on either as it was too damp to slide.

Anyway, inspite of my partner forgetting how to serve, we went out to a 4-0 lead. We then dumped 4 games in a row. We brought it back to win 6-3 in the first set.

Second set was utter crap. We were on the side that had a light blown out and I guess we played worse than the other team under than condition. We lost that one 0-6. Ugh!!!! the Bagel. Don't know what the heck happened there.

Went to a 10 point tie break. We broke out to a 3-0 lead. Squandered the lead, but came back and won the tie break 10-8. Whew!!! Pulled than one out.

BTW - props to Cindy for her singles win.

JR

Sounds like an awesome match. Were you happy about playing a 10-pt TB? I would always prefer a full 3rd set.

Just curious on a couple things? If you went up 4-0 then lost 4 games in a row, how could the first set score have been 6-3. Also, did you just switch sides between sets, or the normal way after odd number of games? Again, good job!

GRANITECHIEF
04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Played the guy that i beat last week (6-0,6-3,7-5) last nite. He served first, i got to break point, he ended up holding. Didn't set a good tone for the rest of the match, which was a battle. We both had a couple break chances but stayed on serve till 4-4, when i managed to squeak out a break and a hold for a 6-4 first set.

He was playing better and better and i found myself down 4-2 in the second. Managed to get back to 4-4 and went down 4-5. He hit a FH ace return and another return right to the baseline. 0-30 when the first serve started landing and i hit a sweet backhand up the line winner. Held for 5-5. He makes all first serves and a couple FH winners and i'm serving at 5-6. I went down 0-30 again on a winner by him, BH this time and a good return. Managed to squeak into the TB. He went up 5-2 with good play and a couple of my errors. Then i buckled down and won 5 in a row for a 6-4,7-6(5) win. It was Battlicious!

JRstriker12
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Sounds like an awesome match. Were you happy about playing a 10-pt TB? I would always prefer a full 3rd set.

Just curious on a couple things? If you went up 4-0 then lost 4 games in a row, how could the first set score have been 6-3. Also, did you just switch sides between sets, or the normal way after odd number of games? Again, good job!

I would preffer to play a full 3rd set because the tie breaker can be such a random thing, but we had limited time due to playing indoors, so we had to play the tie-break to decide a winner.

We won the first set 6-4, that score was a typo.

Also, since it's indoor and to save time, we generally don't switch sides, except at the begining of a new set or in the middle of the tie breaker.

Sakkijarvi
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
My last match was a lot of fun, earlier this week. I played a guy subbing in that played one league higher, competent player. The first set went to him and it seemed all my shots hit right around the service line, allowing him to take control of every point. His serve was decent, mine was nonexistent. I did a lot of running, scrambling, and hung in there, only to lose 7-5.

He went up 1-0 in the second set and made a dopey call to his advantage in that game. At that point I had had it and when he came to the net at the changeover to tell me what a "great match" we were having, and shaking hands on it (hey, he offered), I said, 'great for you that I'm playing without my serve tonight'.

I was able to turn it around emotionally at that point, simply letting it fly. My first serve was an ace, then I had the thought enter my mind, 'let the ball drop into the hitting zone' and from then on it was a blitz, as I held serve easily. My ground strokes were now deep, good topspin and HIS more defensive, landing short, allowing me to take control of the points. I also added my fave, a backhand drop-shot. He sweated gallons...set ended in my favor 6-3 and I stayed on the offensive and won the tie-breaker, and the match, easily.

It was very satisfying and a great was to set up the end of the singles season. My last two matches are against guys I haven't beaten, the finale against the 1st place guy who has been crushing everyone this season.

Sakki

Doc Hollidae
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
4.5 USTA Tournament last weekend:

1st Round: 4-6, 7-5, 6-3. 3:30 hour match. The guy wasn't a pusher, but he didn't have any weapons. Just real consistent with a lot of topspin. Started serving and volleying and chip and charging instead of my normal baseline game. He didn't handle the pressure from the net too well.

2nd Round: 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2. 3:30 hour match. Higher level opponent. Played with a K90 with a 1 HBH. First set starts off with us breaking each other until 4-5, where he finally holds serve. Second set I find myself down 3-5. I break him then hold for 5-5. Broke him again then get broken. I won the tiebreaker easily and then it was apparent my opponent had lost his energy. I quickly get ahead and pulled out another 3 setter.

Quarterfinals: 6-3, 5-7,2-6. 2:30 hour match. Since my first match went so long I was given an hour break for lunch. My opponent was fresh and waiting since his first two opponents had defaulted. Once we got onto the court I knew I was going to be tired so I comtemplated tanking the first set to get energy or going all out and trying to win it quick before I gassed out. I choose to go all out as my first idea was going to be risky. I quickly win the first set and am up 4-3 up a break in the 2nd, when all energy I had just completely left. I couldn't bend my knees enough to throw in deep kickers and my movement was like a Federer's ranking, stagnant. With all my energy gone, my opponent rattles off the next 8 games and at 0-5 I tell myself I'm not going to get bageled. So I put what energy I had left into 2 games and finally lose 6-2.

Moral of the Story: 3 setters suck.

goober
04-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Moral of the Story: 3 setters suck.

another possible moral: You need to work even harder on your fitness! :D

Topaz
04-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Had a singles flight match last night against a 3.5 (I'm a 3.0). I lost 4-6, 5-7, but I really was not too upset with how I played. I was really trying to implement the things I work on in lessons, and if it weren't for all my errors, I think I would have won it. I also noticed a pattern...I get behind, work real hard to level things, then relax and lose! Argh!

ibringtheHEAT
04-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Had a singles flight match last night against a 3.5 (I'm a 3.0). I lost 4-6, 5-7, but I really was not too upset with how I played. I was really trying to implement the things I work on in lessons, and if it weren't for all my errors, I think I would have won it. I also noticed a pattern...I get behind, work real hard to level things, then relax and lose! Argh!

I'm sorry, just had quite a good laugh at that.

Topaz
04-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry, just had quite a good laugh at that.

Well, I'm glad to bring such hilarity to the boards. Look at the score...not much between us. I hit many more winners, but also many more errors. She didn't. I was conciously going for more than I usually do, but I don't have the control yet.

ibringtheHEAT
04-20-2007, 07:09 PM
No, I didn't mean to be rude. Just the way you worded it.

Topaz
04-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Not a problem! It seems like a pretty obvious statement, hunh?

ibringtheHEAT
04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
ha yeah, don't worry about it.

JRstriker12
04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Okay, it's finally warm enough to get out the bubble and play some singles. I played one of the guys that I usually play doubles with. Playing doubles, I felt out levels were pretty close. He has a much better backhand than I do, But I think I've got the faster serve.

Anyway, long story short. He wipped the court with me. We played 4 sets, I lost 0-6,1-6, 1-6, and 0-6.

Was really frustrating. I just couldn't find my angles on the singles court and I couldn't close out games. Towards the last few sets I just said forget it and really went for my serve. I would go up 40-0,but just couldn't close it out. Also, did I mention my friend is pretty quick. He got to all of my shots.

Very frustrating, but at the same time, it's good to finally get out and hit some singles. I went down this time, but I guarrantee I'll be back.

Noveson
04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I played singles a week ago in the league and lost 3-6 3-6.

My excuses:

1. My forehand sucked so bad that it is a miracle I did not break my racquet.
2. My forehand sucked so bad that it is a miracle I did not break my racquet.
3. My forehand sucked so bad that it is a miracle I did not break my racquet.

(That was no cut paste. I am still so mad that I wrote it three times.)
Yesterday I took a private lesson and the pro told me the problems of the forehand. My opponent was hitting with a lot of top spin and I was putting most of the returns in the net. It got so bad that I started slicing anything and everything.

I worked on it for an hour yesterday and feel a lot better. My next match is a doubles though. I will post about it next week. Hopefully it will not be about blaming my partner ;)

Obviously not seeing as you have the numbers 1, 2 , and 3:rolleyes:

GRANITECHIEF
04-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Played a small local tourney this past weekend. There was $1500 prize money to split between the opens. I got a bye and then played my first match against a dude that beat me the last time we played, which was about 7 years ago. I won 6-1,6-0, couple long games. Very nice to avenge the loss even though it was a long time ago. Then played dubs winning 6-0,6-2, not complicated in the slightest bit.

Sunday morning was semis versus a high school senior that is playing D1 for UCSB next year, very good player. I didn't start off well, chose to receive and after several dueces was broken in my first service game. I only got mildly better, lost 6-1,6-3. Lots of dueces, several game points on serve, but only 1 break point early in the 2nd. And the dude hit 3 winners to break while i served to stay in the match at 3-5.

My opponent played very well, although i know i could've played much better as my FH, which is usually my better shot but lately hasn't been clicking, was letting me down. My lack of confidence in the shot help him get much easier balls to tee off on. Serve was pretty off as well with too many 1st serves in the net.

A little dissapointing, not so much the loss but that I could've performed significantly better. Still alive in the dubs. We started our match but then had to stop due to rain after only a game and a half. Not sure when the re-scheduled match will be, but i'm raring to go.

goober
04-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Played a small local tourney this past weekend. There was $1500 prize money to split between the opens. I got a bye and then played my first match against a dude that beat me the last time we played, which was about 7 years ago. I won 6-1,6-0, couple long games. Very nice to avenge the loss even though it was a long time ago. .

wow you remember a guy that you played 7 years ago and presumably not since then?

I recently beat a guy in a 4.5 league that beat me in my first competitive experience in tennis - club tournament 2 yrs ago. I was at best a 3.5 and he made mincemeat out of me with his net game. He spent a lot of time criticizing my game on changeovers. Since it was my first competitive experience, I just listened quietly. 2 years later I beat him easily 6-3, 6-1 but he did not remember me from before. I was very tempted to lecture him on his game, but I didn't. :D

GRANITECHIEF
04-23-2007, 12:33 PM
^^Nice work. A lecture would've been appropriate, or at least a reminder.

musicalmedic81
04-27-2007, 09:26 PM
by some random dude that was out praticing by himself at the courts tonight. I was out there with my girlfriend, she's trying to learn so we can go out and play together, but she's a volleyball player and doesnt quite get the concept of playing the ball on a bounce and keeping a good distance from the ball, she always frames it right at the neck of the racket.

Anyway, there was a guy on the court next to us who was just serving 3 balls then walking to the other side and serving again. I asked him if he would like to join us for a hit if he would like to practice some strokes. He was cool and came over to our court and hit with us for a while. He was good, a highschool player. My girlfriend tired out pretty quickly, her forearms were so tight they were burning. So me and the guy started hitting a bit and decided to play a set. Dude, I got smoked like a new york city crack rock. All I could do was block the ball back to him and hope it landed in. I think I only won like 4 or 5 points the entire set. And the dude I could tell was taking it easy on me too. I had the opportunity to finally hit a forehand winner only because his racket slipped out of his hand after a somewhat lazy backhand. I cranked it from just inside the base line and let out a huge hell shaking growl as I made contact as I was hoping to atleast show the guy I could really smack it when I get the chance to, but I totally mishit it, got way under it and freakin blew it about 200 feet off the court into the woods. All I could do was laugh, he laughed too, and we couldnt stop laughing even into the next few points. Anyway, it was a no win situation for me as I got obliterated 6-0. We decided a second set wasnt necessary. Fun night though.

serveitup911
04-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Hmm, my last match was in my team's conference tournament.

I won 6-1 6-2 at #5, but our team lost 4-3. It was the semifinals.

My record for the year was 19-12. I played from #2 - #5 singles, but mostly #3 and #4.

My results for those interested:
http://www.collegetennisonline.com/view/results.asp?pType=S&prtcpId=56154

9000tennis
06-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Starting up this thread again...

I played my first team match yesterday. Won my 2# singles match 6-1, -6-1. I didn't really have to do much. Won my 1# doubles match 7-5,3-6,6-3. What a nice match to win. We played good, but lost that second set because of one bad game. But that happens.
I'm really pleased that I did not lose my serve the entire day. I served really great. About 10 aces too.

eka12
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Played last Thursday at a rival club.

Won 7-5, 6-1

Started a little slow, then got things going. My game is based on a weak return of serve from my opponent. I like to try to get a short reply about mid-court then put it away or hit a deep heavy approach shot.

For the record, I am a 3.5 male, captain for 2 years, 35 years old and I have lost only 2 matches in the last 3 years, playing at 1 singles and 1 doubles.

JRstriker12
06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Played my friend in a ladder match about two weeks ago. We are evenly matched, so our matches tend to be epic battles - at least in my mind. Really, we are so evenly matched that alot of out matches go to 7-5 or tie breaks. It's never easy for either of us.

I go out to a quick start and won the first set 6-3. Joe lost set point on an ill advised drop shot.

My friend then stormed back and won the second set 3-6.

We made the mistake of starting around 10am, and at this point, it's creaping up on noon. It was one of the first summer weather days and it must have gotten to about 90 degrees on the court. I felt like I was frying.

Anyway, we go into the third set. I go down 0-3, then claw back 3-3. At this point, I am running to the court side rest room every change over to fill up my water bottle and dump it over my head. I am getting low on gatorade.

We play on and trade breaks, tied up at 4-4, tied up at 5-5. At this point, were so beat by the heat that it's hard to get the energy to hold serve. For the most part the returner has the advantage. I go down 5-6 on my serve and I am praying that this match ends soon. I am dreading a tie break in this heat.

In the end, my buddy holds and wins 6-3, 3-6, 5-7. It was a good match, but I'll get him next time. It will be a night match.

Sup2Dresq
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Played my friend in a ladder match about two weeks ago. We are evenly matched, so our matches tend to be epic battles - at least in my mind. Really, we are so evenly matched that alot of out matches go to 7-5 or tie breaks. It's never easy for either of us.

I go out to a quick start and won the first set 6-3. Joe lost set point on an ill advised drop shot.

My friend then stormed back and won the second set 3-6.

We made the mistake of starting around 10am, and at this point, it's creaping up on noon. It was one of the first summer weather days and it must have gotten to about 90 degrees on the court. I felt like I was frying.

Anyway, we go into the third set. I go down 0-3, then claw back 3-3. At this point, I am running to the court side rest room every change over to fill up my water bottle and dump it over my head. I am getting low on gatorade.

We play on and trade breaks, tied up at 4-4, tied up at 5-5. At this point, were so beat by the heat that it's hard to get the energy to hold serve. For the most part the returner has the advantage. I go down 5-6 on my serve and I am praying that this match ends soon. I am dreading a tie break in this heat.

In the end, my buddy holds and wins 6-3, 3-6, 5-7. It was a good match, but I'll get him next time. It will be a night match.

Viva Joe the conejo!

musicalmedic81
06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Played my buddy in a friendly best of 3 tonight. He beat me last time we played in two tiebreaks but for some reason tonight I was just on. Neither of us have ever had any coaching but Ive watched and studied the sport for a long time now and after a few months Im actually starting to find a decent form. Dont get me wrong, I still wouldnt consider myself as "good" but tonight something just started to click. I was hitting first serves with power and consistency, my forehands were flattening out nicely and my backhand was better than its ever been before. Im still not that great at the net, my volleys tend to go high and land deep in near the baseline. Maybe Im not dropping the racket head low enough?

Anyway, I won the first set 6-1. It was probably the best set of tennis Ive ever played. I had some trouble closing him out in the second set though. I was up 5-0 and had him 0-30, then started making errors. I served for the match at 5-1 and he broke me after 3 match points that were all long rallies in which he won them all! He's a fast little booger and was getting to all my shots and sending back moon balls until I would go for the knockout blow and blast it off the back fence. Anyway I finally closed him out with him serving at 2-5 to take the match 6-1, 6-2.

dennis1188
07-06-2007, 03:00 AM
7-6,6-7,1-0.
I served out (matchpoint) for 10-6 (tie-breaker) win.
Finished with wins in my last 2 usta season matches.
I'm relocating bk to Asia for work (week after last match) so this was my last usta match (could b my very last usta season). A great memory, a good season and team experience with all my friends. cheers, dennis

BravoRed691
07-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Last Weekend: won 6-0, 6-0! Well ok, it was a default but it's still a win no? lol!

Team won 5-0 that day and went out to celebrate with Dim Sum! We ended up winning league...

BR

peter
07-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Score: 6-7 (3-7), 2-6, 6-7 (5-7), 4-6

(Yes, four sets :-)

I served fantastic - was really fun. Unfortunately my opponent _returned_ incredibly well most of the time.

Most memorable game: Me being down 0-40 on my serve when I started going really all out on my first serves - and they all went in and was real bombs. Unreturnable all of them (we got a racket on most of them but couldn't keep them in the court) so I came all the way up and snatched that game. Felt _reeeelly_ good :-)

A.Davidson
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
musicalmedic, where do you live in North Carolina?

My last match was a 6-0 "teaching match" against a sort-of student of mine. However, I watched an epic 1-setter between a friend and my youth pastor. 7-6 (7-4), but better than it sounded.

ronakp10
07-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately...

6-2, 4-6, 4-6

I just got back into tennis after a month vacation and its terrible... I need at least a month to get back to my normal... ability.

Hokiez
07-08-2007, 03:26 PM
6-1, 6-2, 6-1. against a 4.0 buddy of mine. I played really well and he had a few more unforced errors than normal. I'm working on a new strategy of using my big serve and coming in to finish the point rather than let the guy back in by just floating it back from off the court and it seems to be working though admittedly, my net game still needs a lot of work and my overheads are terrible.

t.vo408
07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
4-9

In a 1 day tourney in the third round. Was so excited after beating the #2 seed (last years finalist). But fell completely apart and lost the will to play. 3.5 singles.

ELTtennis
07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
last match was 6-0,6-2

overall
(20-3)

darkblue
07-10-2007, 01:27 PM
6-1, 6-3 (W)

vs a computer rated 4.5. We started play @ 8:30a, but the court soon become an oven. He serve-and-volleyed the entire first set despite my forehand return
being right on. My service games were okay - I was able to take advantage of short returns and not miss too much while being aggressive.

By the end of the 2nd set, I was exhausted due to the heat. Must be those
Corona & limes I had last night, and 2 glasses of wine. (well, this was a local ladder match, so...)

I broke him to start the 2nd set, but at 2-0, I lost my service game after 5-6 deuces. My execuse: I was really tired, and plus there was a really hot girl teaching tennis to kids at a nearby court. I was thinking.... she could give me a lesson or two.

At 4-3, I decided to change my clothes. Underwear and everything. (no, not in front of everyone) My current apparel is mostly Adidas Comp, but they tend to saturate (with sweat) and stick to my skin. After a complete change, I somehow got the energy to go back to the court.

The 1st game back, I broke his serve after 3 good returns and a couple of errors on his part. 5-3. Then I served it out at love.

peter
07-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Played another 4-hour match today against the same guy I played last time (we also played for 4 hours that time. Hmm and the time before that I played over 3 hours - but against another guy). I seem to like marathon matches :-)

Only 3 sets today though. But incredibly tight. 4-6, 6-7 (8-10), 6-4...

I took the last set!!! :-)

QuietDaze
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
My last match? The one where I sat on the court in the heat and humidity and the chick never bothered to show or call? I won, by default.

Match before that 6-4 (feeling good as she was the one to beat in our division) got a reality check on 2nd set and lost 2-6. Dug my heels in and won the last set 6-4. So far undefeated this season. Feels pretty good since I lost every single match last season.

Lionheart
07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
6-3 6-3, breaked the guy almost everytime but couldnt hold my serve many times due to double faults, probably because i just came out of injury, but anyway im used to double faulting a bit

csb
07-21-2007, 02:44 PM
After not losing a 3.5 usta singles match(partly because i played on a new team and didn't face many of the leagues top players) i started playing TennisDc in the competitive division After not losing there either i decided i needed some better competition. Well today i got it and took a beating 6-1, 6-0 to a guy who is probably a 4.0 or 4.5.
If i played this guy ten times i'm sure i would lose every time but i really could have played better. In 3.5 most guys don't rip winners on me from the baseline.
At first i was kind of frustrated and dissapointed but i'm ok now.Right now
i'm just a 3.5 so how can i expect to beat someone a level or two above me?

soggyramen
07-21-2007, 03:17 PM
last match at a tournament was

6-2, 4-6, 6-4

first set was a walk in the park the only thing that saved him was his serve which was really fast and he had a killer slice serve but even then he only got two games that set.

second set he broke me and i just lost it but calmed myself later on

third set took a hard look at how i played in the second set and changed up my game as he began to become inpatient and started to serve and volley when his volleys were less than perfect so i pounded his volleys away which went high, slow, and easy to predict. he lost the match but dumping a volley into the net and when the ball hit the net he destroyed his flexpoint radical on the court and came up to shake my hand which kinda made me laugh

peter
07-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Yesterdays tournament play:

First round singles:
6-2, 2-6, 6-2
I won first set very easily. Then my game just took a break and I was down 0-5 in the second set before I got myself together again and won two more games. Third set was bascially like the first one... Really strange match.

Generation doubles with my daughter Emma (9 yo), we met another father/daughter pair, but their daughter was 16 years:
1-6, 2-6

Doubles, pool, match 1:
6-3, 6-3

Doubles pool, match 2:
5-7, 3-6
We were down 2-5 in the last set with our opponents to serve and we needed 1 (one) more game to claim the title (since the guys we beat in match 1 had beaten the guys we were playing in match 2 so everyone had one match each). Somehow we managed to break them (but then we lost our next game, but at that time it didn't matter :-). So we ended up on +1 in game difference, the team that came in second place got 0 and the third place team ended up at -1 - pretty tight :-)

equinox
07-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Lost against the now top side.

1-6, 3-6 dlbs.
Blown away 1st set, bad DF's, we were too defensive, they just hit big serves and return winners, took control of the net. Had bp chances 2nd set, 4-3 down, but we blew it. Partner DF'ed mp.

7-8 mx dlbs.
I played pretty well, Under control on serve, volley ok. we couldn't break guys serve, 7-6 up, i made two easy errors. lost TB 4-7, threw in bad df and fh uf after long rally. Guy pulled out the big serve and aced me dtl on mp. :\

Opposition grade 4 young girl, about 850 AR. Guy was probably 5-7 grade.

That's what happens when one doesn't practice for 5-6 weeks. Oh and the poor Syn Clay doesn't help. Worse surface ever. 1st personal loss for the season. :/

tomzo22
07-22-2007, 03:49 AM
match results 1-win: 2-6 7-5 6-4
match results 2-win: 2-6 6-3 6-2
match results 3-win (doubles) : 0-6 7-5 6-2

Cant remember past those 3, but I'm pretty sure I lose the first set 90% of the time, which is kinda annoying. in match 1 I played terrible and got pretty lucky, it was the first proper match I'd played for almost a year. Match 2, it felt like i was back and i was able to hit some good shots-my opponent let himself down though, he played better in the warmup.

peter
07-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Today:

Singles semi:
7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-3
Over 2 hours of hard-fought battle... A good number of blazing forehand winners and some aces (including one on the setpoint in the tiebreak).

Singles final:
0-6, 3-6
I ran out of steam. My right arm felt really tired so I hit numerous double faults and spread shots all over the place.

Anyway, all-in-all - two good tennis days (3 singles and 3 doubles matches :-)
with one 1st place (doubles) and one runner up. I'm happy! :-)

QuietDaze
07-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Yesterday 4-6; 4-6

Was a horrible, horrible game. I got beaten and very badly. The score doesn't show how many lucky shots I got or how many UE's she got in a few games.

I'm still sick about it today.

sliceworks76
07-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Lost 3-6, 5-7

Played an above-average 4.0 on the clay in a match that spanned two separate times. Had to quit at 3-6, 3-4 and was able to fight back to 5-5, then played a loose service game and it was over. He's super steady and got me with a lot of slice approaches and good volleys. Clay is frustrating! We've played 8 times and now i'm 3-5 after losing the last two.

darkblue
07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Non-USTA doubles event.

1R: 6-2, 6-1
We played the #1 seed, and it was the easiest match. I like how tournaments
make seedings sometimes, based on cumulative pts. (even if you are .500, if you
play enough tournaments, you may get a high seed) No need for comments on this match. One of our opponents could not return our kick serves to save his
life.

Semi: 6-3, 6-1
Playing a team with a 6-1 record, (2 finals appearances @ USTA events) we
had a little more fun.

Final: 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
The opposing team had a ranked singles player + older, better net player.
we lost the 1st set quickly, mostly due to my stupidity. after my partner
told me to slow down (strokes + serves) and concentrate on placement
and choice of shots, 2nd set was won quickly. the 3rd set tie break was
a close contest - it could have gone either way - but we pulled out!!

at this point, we are 6-1 for 2007.

equinox
07-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm on a six sets losing streak.

Night mixed comp. Played a team that was dropped from higher grade.
They were ok. But i played shocking, I'm sick and have a bad flu.
I've no energy and couldn't move or keep 3 shots in court.

1-6. Mens. New partner. 1st hit in 15years? BP + GP Chances 2-1, 3-1..

2-6. Mixed. No returns in from both players..poor set.

5-6. Mixed. Should have won. 5-3 up + mp and i DF'd MP away. :\

Playing again on fri, sat.

Awww, that's life. *sniffle* *haachew*...

socalstar
07-25-2007, 10:11 PM
6-2 6-1 :)))
i won my second open

volleyman
07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Played my first singles match in about two months today. I took on one of the singles players from my spring 4.0 team: a solid player with a good all court game.

I jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first set, then dropped 3 straight, held serve, and then dropped 3 more to lose the set 4-6. While I was losing 6 of 7 games, I was suffering from two maladies: doubles player syndrome (I have to play inside the interior sideline?), and SRD (service return disfunction).

I finally got the court dimensions right in the internal target computer and remembered how to return serve in the second set. As a result, I turned things around nicely and won it 6-0.

I raced out to a 3-0 lead in the third. He had a good service game to get to 3-1. I took the next 2 games to go up 5-1 and serve for the match.

At 5-1, he played a fantastic return game, including 2 clean return of serve winners off good serves, to get to 5-2. My SRD returned in the next game, and he held to make it 5-3.

I took a deep breath and served-and-volleyed it out at love. Final score, 4-6, 6-0, 6-3.

WBF
07-28-2007, 12:48 PM
remove. thanks!

equinox
07-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Lost on fri, 6-4, 6-3 ,6-2. Pretty lackluster effort. But the 9 sets losing streak was broken sat.

In glorious fashion.

6-0 6-1, 8-7. :)

zebano
07-30-2007, 06:07 AM
2-6, 3-6 in a 3.5 NTRP semifinal. He just came out on fire and was up 4-0 before I knew what had happened. he got an early break in the second which I got back to pull to 3-3. I then failed to convert 3 game points, he broke me and cruised to the victory.

volleyman
07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
AAAARGH! Lost mixed doubles, 4-6, 3-6. It was a bad combination of spotty play on my part, opponents on fire, and playing on clay.

equinox
08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Fri Night mixed 2-6, 6-3, 6-0.
Sat comp prelim final mens dlbs, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, Mixed 8-5
wed Night comp Mens dlbs 6-2, Mixed 6-3 , 1-6.

Nice run after losing 9sets, which started off from being aced on mp by a sangbagging coach.

peter
08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Thursday, R1 in a tournament: 3-6, 4-6
(Served like crap, and no real energy either)

Saturday, friendly "best-of-7-sets" game: 6-3, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1 (4 hours)
(Yes!!! I beat my buddy, and in a major way - I haven't really won a set on him in a looong time. Perhaps this is the end of my singles slump?)

volleyman
08-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Won a 4.0 NTRP doubles tournament. The final was a seesaw affair: 6-2, 1-6, 12-10.

We took our previous matches in straight sets.

Rafa freak
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
In my last match I won 6-0 6-0 Not a joke.

New Kid On the Block
08-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Just got beat by my girlfriend 6-2, 7-6

jgn1013
08-20-2007, 09:18 AM
played twice this weekend, kswiss playoffs, won 0 & 0 on Saturday morning and won 1 & 4 on Sunday evening. Almost choked away the 2nd set was up 5-2 I'm in the semi's this Saturday!!!

PimpMyGame
08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Played a local tourney and lost an over-35s 6-2 6-4. Would love to make excuses but on the day my opponent played better than me.

Back to the drawing board. Boo.

New Kid On the Block
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Lost with my lady against a 3.5 and a 3.0 player 5-7 7-6 10-8, sucked.

equinox
10-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Sat Comp Single/Doubles 6-3 6-0, 7-6 6-1. 1st set of doubles was a killer, i was stuffed after the match.

Today social singles 6-1, 7-5. Was 3-5 down with bad rolled ankle.

WBF
10-07-2007, 06:15 PM
6-3 6-2 in a local 4.5 singles league.

I haven't played competitive singles since sophomore year in college (4 years or so), and this is the first time I really felt comfortable after two disappointing outings this summer. I kept my serve in, double faulting perhaps once per game, but more importantly hitting 1-3 service wins/aces each game as well. My opponent was a solid player, he played for a D1 school whenever he went (seemed low 30's, high 20's), but was a bit rusty. He had a bit of a week serve, which was lucky for him, as my returns typically reflect the ability of the serve (up to a certain point). I was a bit out of breath at times, but there was only one point where I noticed it compromise the point. I had a great time, my opponent was strong enough to make the points entertaining, and was a very nice fellow (I really hate people who get all stand-offish when they're losing).

Hokiez
10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Won my first set at 4.5 in a friendly We only had time for one but got it 6-4 (that one set took 1.25 hours) and nearly all the rallies took a very long time (for both of us you have to hit the winner since we'll chase down nearly everything). One of the more enjoyable sets. I might even play up a little next year of the 4.5 team needs some fill-ins.

equinox
10-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Prac sunday.
singles.
op #1 6-0 6-3. 3.5

Tues.
singles
op #1 6-2 6-0 3-6. 4.0
op #2 6-1. 3.5

dlbs 3-6 , 7-5 , 6-1. 4.0-5.5

singles op #1 1-6. 4.5+

Had 2/3 gp chances but i felt like i got killed. Never seen so many winners hit within inches of the lines repeatedly in my life. Very frustrating match, a reality check on my ability level.