PDA

View Full Version : Would Mirnyi have been more successful as a baseliner?

Steven87
02-14-2007, 11:21 PM
He wasnt bad at all at the baseline. If he grew as a baseliner, I think he woulda been better

Bogie
02-14-2007, 11:32 PM
i doubt it. that huge frame of his was meant for serve and volley play. towering serve and huge reach is a perfect fit for that style of play. if he would have been taught as a baseliner he would probably look like a bit more old school version of monfils with his extreme eastern forehand and eastern backhand. lanky frames like those just aren't meant for baseline play.

ATXtennisaddict
02-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Let's speculate speculate speculate.

Would Agassi have been a better S&Ver?
Would Sampras have been better staying back 10 feet behind the baseline?
Would McEnroe have been better if he was right handed?
Would Federer have been better if he used Babolat?
Would Connors have been better if he used an RDS 001 MP with lead take on 10 and 2?

Yea.

Gugafan_Redux
02-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Karlovic would be number one if he would just use a Western grip.

noeledmonds
02-15-2007, 08:18 AM
He wasnt bad at all at the baseline. If he grew as a baseliner, I think he woulda been better

We can only speculate but I very much dout it. His large figure is ideal for big serving and vollying. Also his doubles career would have almost certainly not taken off without S&V. Doubles is probabely more important to him than singles anyway.

Totally off topic but I thought I would say it anway. Sampras was a baseliner who turned into a S&V and Federer was the other way round. I wonder if changing around this part of their game during their professional careers is what allowed them both to have such complete games.

Tennis_Gnat
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
No, he wouldn't have been.

His height is great for the net and he doesn't have the smoothest groundies. And his volleys are fantastic.

HollerOne5
02-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Can we get a hells no. How about question "If Mirnyi didn't have his big serve, how much would he suck?"

Budgerigar
02-15-2007, 08:52 AM
no way with that wingspan, he is maximizing his potential with his choice of game.

nickb
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I couldnt imagine Max as a baseliner it would be weird, his serve volley game suits him well....hope he dosnt do a Henman and try to be a baseliner when he gets old...

illkhiboy
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Actually he's not bad at all from the baseline, IMO. In his match at Wimbledon last year, he outhit Blake quite a few times from the baseline. I think he has a nice forehand, and a very good slice. I wouldnt be surprised to see him make the QF at SW19 next year.

tennis_hand
02-15-2007, 04:27 PM
who said he can't play well at the baseline?
then what about Ljubicic who also has a large frame?

christopher07
02-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Erm, i think Marta Safin might take issue with that ;-)

It really depends upon mentality, imo...

If Max adopted a style that was not 'his own', he would
most likely have been less successful. You have to
play to your own strengths, and be true to your own game.

i doubt it. that huge frame of his was meant for serve and volley play. towering serve and huge reach is a perfect fit for that style of play. if he would have been taught as a baseliner he would probably look like a bit more old school version of monfils with his extreme eastern forehand and eastern backhand. lanky frames like those just aren't meant for baseline play.