PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Capriati officially retired?

Coria
02-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Pardon me if my head is in the dark, but I haven't heard anything and don't understand why so much time has dragged on without her making it official.

Her fitness was never top-notch, particularly her footwork. There's no way she's going to come back at age 31 or whatever and be any kind of factor, even if her shoulder heals. Does anybody have any info?

jelle v
02-15-2007, 04:34 AM
From what I've read, she considers herself retired untill she can play again, and that's probably never. The reason why she hasn't made it official, I guess and also from what I've read, is that she still misses tennis and would like to make a comeback if she could.

justineheninhoogenbandfan
02-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Seles hasnt officialy announced her retirement either has she?

jelle v
02-15-2007, 05:43 AM
No, not in my recollection anyway. Maybe they just don't want an official farewell from to tour. I mean, they would be in the spotlight again, maybe during a grand slam tournament, they would be called on centre court and get a farewell present (like Navratilova) or a standing ovation like Agassi, maybe they just don't feel like that or it's to confronting or something :confused:

But with Capriati, the fact that she has had surgery, maybe shows her intention that she just wants to come back.

thomas martinez
02-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually, Jennifer right now is trying to hit to see if her shoulder is ok. If it is, she's going to train and try to come back.

Nick Irons
02-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Pardon me if my head is in the dark, but I haven't heard anything and don't understand why so much time has dragged on without her making it official.

Her fitness was never top-notch, particularly her footwork. There's no way she's going to come back at age 31 or whatever and be any kind of factor, even if her shoulder heals. Does anybody have any info?

Everything I have heard is that she is rehabbing and training; including recent orders of racquets. Calling her career over at 31 may be a bit premature.

Her fitness, although fluxuating from year to year at one time was phenomenal. If there is any player who could come back to day and still compete it's Jennifer. She is one the hardest hitters on the WTA and one of the few who can still challenge (and beat) a player like Serena.

Here are some recent quotes as of 01/16/2007 from Jon Wertheim's Mailbag.

What are you hearing from the Jennifer Capriati camp? Is her shoulder healed? Is she planning to play again soon? Also, has Fabiola Zuluaga officially retired?
-- Dale Stafford, Atlanta

I hear that she's not only considering a comeback, she's dead set on it. I paraphrase here, but a source close to her told me She has her good her days and bad days, but she is totally determined not to have played her last match. Given the relative power vacuum in women's tennis, I can very easily see the Capster, even at age 30, back in the mix. Also, perhaps these two years off have ultimately served her well. She hasn't beaten up her body and grown fatigued traveling (and playing in 120-degree heat!) This may have had a restorative effect on her body.

ja_
02-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Everything I have heard is that she is rehabbing and training; including recent orders of racquets. Calling her career over at 31 may be a bit premature.

Her fitness, although fluxuating from year to year at one time was phenomenal. If there is any player who could come back to day and still compete it's Jennifer. She is one the hardest hitters on the WTA and one of the few who can still challenge (and beat) a player like Serena.

Here are some recent quotes as of 01/16/2007 from Jon Wertheim's Mailbag.
Jennifer vs. Serena was IMO a great rivalry. I would love to see Jen comeback and give Serena something to do.

Thanks for the blip from Jon's mailbag. Sounds like she's absolutely serious.