PDA

View Full Version : Safin the Revenge Artist?

lordmanji
02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
just a little interesting thing i noticed with safin. i think he plays better against a player - his best - AFTER he's lost to them. evidence:

safin lost to sampras at the us open 6-4 6-3 6-2 in 1998.
the next grand slam match they play (2000 US Open) safin defeats sampras in the final by a very similar scoreline: 6-4 6-3 6-3 and by what many consider to be his most sublime performance.

safin loses next grand slam match 6-3 7-6(5) 6-3 at US Open to Sampras and the next time they meet at the Aus Open, he defeats Sampras 6-2 6-4 6-7(5) 7-6(10).

Safin v Sampras grand slam record: 2-2

to add some depth to my argument, Safin loses to Federer 7-6(3) 6-4 6-2 in the final of the 2004 Aus Open only to come back in the semis a year later at the Aus Open to defeat Federer 5-7 6-4 5-7 7-6(6) 9-7 .

Safin v Federer grand slam record: 1-1.

and finally Safin v. Nalbandian. Safin wins in 2002 roland garros then Nalby wins 2004 roland garros. Safin wins 2006 us open. now im thinking if im betting man, Nalby is due in their next slam match.

i dont know how his head-to-head with other players in grand slam matches stacks up but if it's anything like the two above, i think there can be a argument made that Safin plays his best when he loses to a player and meets them again on the biggest stage - grand slams because he has extra motivation. i think this supports what most people say about Safin: if only his head were into it, he'd have more grand slam titles.

slice bh compliment
02-15-2007, 11:20 AM
There is definitely a macho thing in tennis, like an unwritten "I will not lose to someone twice in a row" thing that exists.

Yeah, simply put, when he REALLY REALLY is committed to beating a guy, he usually beats that guy. It is similar to the way certain players excel in Slams. In Davis Cup.

scaino
02-15-2007, 11:21 AM
From my own observation, I can say that any attempt to find a pattern in Safin's performance will end in frustration. The record against Sampras in Slams is particularly baffling. But I think it goes without saying that Safin has the potential to win many more titles than he has to date.

Moose Malloy
02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I think you're reaching a bit, when safin lost to sampras in '98 he was an unknown, unseeded opponent, he was supposed to lose. That result had no bearing whatsover in their us open final 2 years later. I doubt Safin could even remember much about it 2 years later.

many other players much better than safin were great 'revenge' artists(I only think its significant when the rematches are a bit sooner than 2 years, like some of your examples)

Some examples-
Sampras lost to Philippousis in the 3rd round of the '96 Australian, a huge upset. The hype surrounding Philippoussis was enormous-he was considered a bigger version of Sampras, the heir apparent, etc.
They played in the 2nd round of Wimbledon '96 & Sampras destroyed him.
They played again at the '96 US Open, again Philipoussis was getting a lot of attention, he just set a new serve speed record. It was an anticipated night match & sampras rolled. john newcombe said that he played like it was a final, not a 4th round match.

Sampras lost to Kucera in '98 Australia, played again at '98 US Open & won easily(hitting quite a few slam dunk overheads)

Sampras loses to Yzaga while he's injured at the '94 US Open, destroys him at next year's Open.

As you mentioned that loss to Safin in '00 US open was huge, many again thought safin was a new improved version of sampras. Sampras got his revenge in '01 US Open, winning in straights after getting blown out the year before.

Chris Evert, Jimmy Connors, McEnroe, Lendl were even more extreme versions of this. When Evert lost, she was more likely to double bagel the opponent the next time. That's why they are all among the best of alltime, while safin falls far short. I think he lost to Santoro 7 straight times at one point.

And look at what Federer does to some of the guys that used to bother him-poor hewitt always gets a bagel it seems.

isuk@tennis
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
And look at what Federer does to some of the guys that used to bother him-poor hewitt always gets a bagel it seems.

not only the ones that used to bother him but also the one that think "the gap is closing" too lol

Gundam
02-15-2007, 12:53 PM
As you mentioned that loss to Safin in '00 US open was huge, many again thought safin was a new improved version of sampras. Sampras got his revenge in '01 US Open, winning in straights after getting blown out the year before.

I watched the match. Safin did play amazing tennis but wasn't Sampras tired or something due to very tough previous match(es) before that final?

NamRanger
02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I watched the match. Safin did play amazing tennis but wasn't Sampras tired or something due to very tough previous match(es) before that final?

Hardly, Sampras had a pretty easy draw TBH. It was when Sampras played Hewitt in the final did he have a tough draw.

maneater
02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
i noticed something about Marat too....He's absolutly Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw him close up at Wimbledon...i Went there to see Roddick and Baghdatis and fell in love with Safin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pound cat
02-15-2007, 03:11 PM
i noticed something about Marat too....He's absolutly Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw him close up at Wimbledon...i Went there to see Roddick and Baghdatis and fell in love with Safin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes , Safin is gorgeous... http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7299/721600510b49egrf4.jpg

maneater
02-15-2007, 04:12 PM
indeed he is!
i love it when he's angry, i love his humour! his smile and laugh is out of tis world, like a naughty little school boy! just absolutly beautiful...i want his babies!

TheNatural
02-15-2007, 09:03 PM
is it just me or does safin Seem to be getting fat lately. He looked a bit chunkier around the waist at the AO. Definately looks a bit short on conditioning from appearences. Mabe its just his long shirt, it looked like one of those oversized tshirts women wear to bed..lol

Bjorn99
02-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Some day the truth will come out about this guys lifestyle. Far be it from me to reveal any of it. But lets just say, that he will probably regret not getting more money and more slams, but he will never be able to say he didn't live like the Sultan of Swat. And yes, he is getting fatter. Or fat. Heck his liver must be ten times the size it was five years ago.

Go google on liver, olive oil cleanse and SEE what can come out of a guy Safin's age. Ten thousand stones the size of a chick pea, for a guy with his appetite. Sad thing is, he is probably unaware of a simple two day cleanse that can allow him to continue his bad ways and clean up the garberator (liver) and keep going.

Phil
02-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Some day the truth will come out about this guys lifestyle. Far be it from me to reveal any of it. But lets just say, that he will probably regret not getting more money and more slams, but he will never be able to say he didn't live like the Sultan of Swat. And yes, he is getting fatter. Or fat. Heck his liver must be ten times the size it was five years ago.

Go google on liver, olive oil cleanse and SEE what can come out of a guy Safin's age. Ten thousand stones the size of a chick pea, for a guy with his appetite. Sad thing is, he is probably unaware of a simple two day cleanse that can allow him to continue his bad ways and clean up the garberator (liver) and keep going.
Yes, and I'm sure the name of the miracle cheese to which you refer is "proprietary information". Keep the b.s. coming, Bjorn...you're starting to entertain me! Bjorn the Bullshiater...

slice bh compliment
02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
...his bad ways and clean up the garberator (liver) and keep going.

I just like the way Bjorn99 spelled carburetor.

heycal
02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
There is definitely a macho thing in tennis, like an unwritten "I will not lose to someone twice in a row" thing that exists.

What was the Vitas Gerualitis quote in reference to Bjorn Borg, something like "Nobody beats Vitas Gerualitis 17 times in a row!"

Starlite
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I would love to see Safin/Gonzalez meet up again soon. Gonzo beat Safin 3 times last year in a very short period and again this month in Davis Cup. This could be a very interesting match at a high stakes level, especially the way Gonzo's been playing lately and if Safin's got it all together.

Fee
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Some day the truth will come out about this guys lifestyle. Far be it from me to reveal any of it.

The truth? You mean Marat doesn't stay out too late, have a little bit too much fun, and appreciate the company of the opposite sex? Gosh we've been fooled for so long. Good to know that he really is a disciplined athlete who goes to bed at a decent hour and wants nothing more than to focus focus focus on his tennis.

rounick
02-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Safin is different.That is well documented.He is without doubt the coolest tennis player out there,maybe even the only one nowadays,which is the main reason why so many people love him,appart from his beautiful tennis.
But lately he's starting to dissapoint me.
His stupid loses to nobodies are becoming more and more annoying.Maybe he has indeed made a conscious choice to live his life,and that is of course his right.
But it will be a shame if he keeps on playing only to lose every week to guys like Benjamin Becker.To me he seems more and more like he has accepted the idea of losing,which is the exact opposite of what a true champion is.
This is where Federer,who I have grown to appreciate more and more,stands out,along with the fact that he is the master of the inner game.
Every time he steps on the court,he won't leave anything out there.If he goes down,which of course doesn't happen that often,it will only be because his opponent was better on that day.
But his attitude towards the game is one that honours himself and tennis,and his fans,who will never be dissapointed even he loses.
That alone makes him a true champion and a worthy no 1.

Safin owes a lot to this sport.
It it time he made up his mind about what he really wants.

SoBad
02-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Whenever Safin wants to win a match, he wins it, it's as simple as that.

pound cat
02-17-2007, 06:28 AM
indeed he is!
i love it when he's angry, i love his humour! his smile and laugh is out of tis world, like a naughty little school boy! just absolutly beautiful...i want his babies!

Sorry, Madonna has/had first dibs on the baby thing, ollowed by 8 million women standing in line.

pound cat
02-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Whenever Safin wants to win a match, he wins it, it's as simple as that.

And he wasn't out to win v. Becker yestrerday. Evidently he wasn't trying too hard.

pound cat
02-17-2007, 06:33 AM

You know absolutley nothing about how Safin leads his life.

People like you are enough to drive anyone to drink.

slice bh compliment
02-17-2007, 08:00 AM
You know absolutley nothing about how Safin leads his life.

People like you are enough to drive anyone to drink.

Yes, and drinking is very bad for the liver, which is the reason you and your buddy Marat have got to google the olive oil cleanse. Detoxify now, PoundCat. Do it, Marat. Both of you, dooo it!

Oh, and is it wrong that my inner English teacher is still giggling about the way Bjorn99 spells carburetor?