PDA

View Full Version : Federer likely to play on after London 2012

illkhiboy
02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Federer in Time-Out Magazine (Dubai):
"I have said that I would like to play until the 2012 Olympics in London when the tennis will be played at Wimbledon. However, Andre was such an inspiration in terms of how long he played. If I can remain healthy I would love to play as long as I can."

Wow. Imagine if he even plays til' he's 33 (2014), that will likely give him the consistency of Sampras and the longetivity of Agassi-Connors. He really wants to be the GOAT.

samej07
02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
they should rethink playing the olympics at wimbledon. playing it there would be totally unfair and would give anyone but switzerland no chance at olympic gold.:D

The Grand Slam
02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Not necessarily. A lot can happen between now and 2012. Federer may not be as dominant. We'll have to wait (a long, long time) and see.

justineheninhoogenbandfan
02-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Not necessarily. A lot can happen between now and 2012. Federer may not be as dominant. We'll have to wait (a long, long time) and see.

Plus he will be 31 by then. That is kind of old to dominant.

The Grand Slam
02-15-2007, 03:44 PM
My thoughts exactly, but hey, I can't tell the future.

And neither can you.

... Or can you? <____<

fastdunn
02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
The most number of slam finals in history is 19 by Lendle AFAIK.

The Gorilla
02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I think he will be like connors, he will be to old to dominate but he will definitly be a force and will win a gs every year.

BlackSheep
02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I think he will be like connors, he will be to old to dominate but he will definitly be a force and will win a gs every year.

Yea he prob will win a few more Wimbys during that time.

illkhiboy
02-16-2007, 12:47 AM
More like Sampras then. Which I guess is likelier. He's such a genius at pulling out matches, so unless his confidence is completely shattered (unlikely scenario) I think he will be more Agassi-like i.e a contender at each Slam but often losing in the latter stages.

TheNatural
02-16-2007, 02:30 AM
I think his physique is more suited to runing than someone like Agassi,and even sampras, so his legs arnt likely to wear out. Also hes a very very efficient mover. At 31 I think he will be moving just as well as now. Its more likely that by the time hes 35 players may be a bit better and be able to exploit his backhand more(which they should be doing more of now).

Shabazza
02-16-2007, 05:04 AM
He won't play as long as Agassi. Probably retire at the age of 32/33.

jaap deboeck
02-16-2007, 05:10 AM
Roger has a few more years of dominance. Maybe. The short list of graphite racket male slam winners age 30 or more: Connors, Agassi, Sampras, Korda (he was later banned for substances). 6 of the last 97.

caulcano
02-16-2007, 05:27 AM
He won't play as long as Agassi. Probably retire at the age of 32/33.

If he plays until 33 it will mean he'll be re-writing the record books every year ... because I can't see him wanting to play/compete if he's not winning.

ATXtennisaddict
02-16-2007, 06:15 AM
they should rethink playing the olympics at wimbledon. playing it there would be totally unfair and would give anyone but switzerland no chance at olympic gold.:D

The olympics will be in London. Oh wait, maybe YOU could do something about that? Write a letter in, maybe they'll change their minds. You know, switch the Olympics to the USA or something, that way it's on hard courts.

Where else in England do you have a bunch of courts prepared for a major tennis event?

And for the rest of you, enjoy Federer while you can. Greatness doesn't present itself just any day.

caulcano
02-16-2007, 06:43 AM

well FED will be 31(?) and if it's played at WIMB then I'm sure there's someone who can more than challenge him in 5yrs+ time ...

whistleway
02-16-2007, 09:25 AM
If he plays until 33 it will mean he'll be re-writing the record books every year ... because I can't see him wanting to play/compete if he's not winning.

I think he handles himself very good at defeat. He would probably play for a while after he turns 30.. He just enjoys being out there and is willing to make sacrifices off the court. I do see him slowing down after his marriage, but, I don't think he will run away from tennis and hide as Sampras did. He handles pressure so well that it doesn't take toll on his emotions that much. Just enjoying and doing his job and loving to play.. It would be fascinating if he can play till 2017 or so..

fastdunn
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
The extent of Federer's domination is dangerously high.

He maintained the domination (as much as McEnroe's peak)
for 2-3 years now.

If he continues to dominate 2-3 more years and defeat all
the challeges(especially from those new up and comers),
he'll surely go dwon as the best in history...

But it's somewhat too dangerously high domination.
near 100 % winning all the time.
I mean he could lose interest rather quickly if he does not win all the time any more.
Kinda like they way Borg quit ...