PDA

View Full Version : Federer's short down-the-line 2nd serve

Golden Retriever
02-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Is he the only one who can do that serve consistently on tour today? You know the one that lands midway down the line and curves to the right, kind of like a lefty serve. It is not powerful but manages to throw his opponent way off every time. Also, because of the fact that so few pros can do that, it is a very effective surprice tactic. And the way he deliberately hits it short is pure genious, landing short gives the ball more time to curve away from his opponent making it more dangerous. Also, I don't know how he does it but that serve bounces surprisingly low, I think it is an extreme slice serve if there is such a thing.

That serve is probably the most difficult serve to pull out but it is so effective when done right especially against righthanded opponents (hence done right.) It is like facing a server with a right and lefthanded 2nd serve and you never know which one you'd get until it is too late.

35ft6
02-15-2007, 06:48 PM
His kick serve out wide on the ad court is deceptively nasty. Maybe only Ljubicic is capable of hitting the same shot with such stealth-like ease.

psamp14
02-15-2007, 06:55 PM
thats one of the most remarkable things about federer...how he hits short, but hits such a clever ball that it cannot be attacked

35ft6.......i dont know about ljubicic but believe it or not andy roddick has a pretty nasty kicker out wide on the ad court himself

jelle v
02-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Safin can hit that kind of service too, can't he?

Andres
02-16-2007, 05:36 AM
I believe Golden is talking about Fed's down the T twistserve.
I've seen him doing it a couple of times. Siiiick!

Janne
02-16-2007, 05:38 AM
anyone have a video where he does it? I wanna see, wanna see!

35ft6
02-16-2007, 05:47 AM
thats one of the most remarkable things about federer...how he hits short, but hits such a clever ball that it cannot be attacked

35ft6.......i dont know about ljubicic but believe it or not andy roddick has a pretty nasty kicker out wide on the ad court himself True, I thought of Roddick, that's why I put "stealth like" and "deceptively" in there. With Roddick, you can almost see it coming, but Federer's just comes out of nowhere. The power and angle he generates off it seems very disproportionate to the effort he's putting in. With Roddick... I would never describe any part of Roddick's game as looking effortless.

In person, Ljubicic's kick serve is the most ridiculous tennis shot I've ever seen. It kicks like a freakin' mule. On a couple, I swear the ball after bouncing reached as high as 2 feet over Agassi's head. The weird thing, watching it live, is the racket makes almost no sound when he hits the ball, must be because the swing is such a glancing, brushing blow. It looks like a normal, almost slow second serve until it hits the ground, at which point it explodes into the air. I've seen faster serves, like Roddick's earlier that day in Carson City, but Ivan's kick serve is possibly the most impressive serve I've ever seen. Subject to change.

kaiotic
02-16-2007, 06:58 AM
sick indeed. hops practically over gonzo's head at the AO final.

TGV
02-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Yes, he hit that same serve against Keifer at last year's AO and seems to be using it more now. I don't remember him doing that before.

I have seen Rafter hit the same serve against Chang in a Davis Cup match (they showed on TTC) - so I think you have to give Roche credit for this new addition.

Fed's work with Roche is really paying off dividends now. They are systematically addressing each of his weaknesses

First, the second serve has been improved tremendously - he now consistenly wins 60% of his second serve points.

Since Madrid, he improved his DTL backhand and the backhand drive return.

He also seems to have improved his volleys as well. He is hitting them deep with some stick at good angles, and has reduced the sloppy errors.
(although he still doesn't hit drop/touch volleys, which is really puzzling.)

Bjorn99
02-16-2007, 08:07 AM
That involves a different follow through, the racquet brushes off to the right more. It produces a left handed spin. Its great.

heycal
02-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Is he the only one who can do that serve consistently on tour today? You know the one that lands midway down the line and curves to the right, kind of like a lefty serve. It is not powerful but manages to throw his opponent way off every time.

I think I know the serve -- and it's pretty much my standard second serve as a 3.5 lefty. A short slice serve that throws off the opponent by its extreme shallowness. I hit it all the time, even when I don't want to.:confused: Are you sure this is the shot you find so impressive?

Andres
02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
I think I know the serve -- and it's pretty much my standard second serve as a 3.5 lefty. A short slice serve that throws off the opponent by its extreme shallowness. I hit it all the time, even when I don't want to.:confused: Are you sure this is the shot you find so impressive?
No. It's Fed's down the T twistserve. I just saw in on YouTube, and impressed the heck out of me!

jelle v
02-16-2007, 10:43 AM
No. It's Fed's down the T twistserve. I just saw in on YouTube, and impressed the heck out of me!

Give us the link to the video please :)

Andres
02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm busting my *** off to find it!
It's a compilation, a 7 mins compilation, but it's not Federer's Arsenal nor Fed's Fun House, nor Fed's Montage...

Hold on, let me see :D

alienhamster
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Glad someone posted on this.

I've seen that serve too, and I can't believe how perfectly nails it. ON A SECOND SERVE.

Isn't that a fairly low percentage shot to try on 2nd serve?

Golden Retriever
02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
I believe Golden is talking about Fed's down the T twistserve.
I've seen him doing it a couple of times. Siiiick!

Yeah, thats the one I was talking about.

Golden Retriever
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Safin can hit that kind of service too, can't he?

Yeah, Safin can hit that too but not as good.

JohnMatrix
02-16-2007, 03:40 PM
post the you-tube linx!

NamRanger
02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Federer hit the same serve you guys are discribing against Davydenko in the semi finals of the Aussie Open 2006. Down breakpoint and the possibility of losing the set, he tricked Davydenko, and hit the serve with so much topspin that it just bounced over Davydenko's head about a good 3 feet.

splink779
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Why are people so impressed? Servers have been doing this forever! Its called a twist serve. It always looks more impressive down the T since TV viewers can see how much left-right spin the serve has.

Rafter hit serves like this all the time.

jelle v
02-17-2007, 02:26 AM
Any links yet to the youtube vid?? :(

go_nadal
02-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Are we talking about a huge kicker or the inside out serve down the T? Im slightly confused.....

Andres
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Els5tWiccdM&mode=related&search=

This is the same serve, Check minute 4:26. That's a niiice twist :)

TGV
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Here is a clip of the serve against Kiefer:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V8WCVKJ0

dima
02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Els5tWiccdM&mode=related&search=

This is the same serve, Check minute 4:26. That's a niiice twist :)

: O

how the hell do they do that