PDA

View Full Version : Pros Slowin' Down?

alienhamster
02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
A thread on footspeed:

I was just wondering if y'all thought any of the pros were slowing down on the court lately in terms of footspeed. Hewitt to me definitely seems to have lost a bit, and perhaps Safin, too. Amazingly, Blake seems just as fast as ever. I thought Roddick was starting to slow down last year, but his defense has been pretty good from what I've seen the last few months.

And the Fed-bot still seems as well-oiled as ever.

fastdunn
02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I think Federer was slower in 2005 due to an injury and now
as fast as 2003-2004.

I don't think Roddick was ever particularly quick.
To me, he appears to have flat feet or something like that.

Nick Irons
02-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I think Federer was slower in 2005 due to an injury and now
as fast as 2003-2004.

I don't think Roddick was ever particularly quick.
To me, he appears to have flat feet or something like that.

Although the term Flat Feet is a myth, I totally understand what you are saying. I have always thought Andy to be just almost goofy out there. Especially when at the net; just Zero reaction time with his foot work.

travlerajm
02-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I think the pros who work hardest can actually get faster into their early 30s.

Linford Christie won the gold medal in the 100m at age 34.

Paul Goldstein looks as fast as ever at age 31.

And Pat Rafter was looking as quick as ever near the end of his playing days.

It's the pros who lose their drive that tend to let age catch up with them.

Sampras seemed to slow down after he got married.

I find that I'm just as fast at 34 as I was in high school, but I seem to be gaining ground on my friends my age who have slowed down and gained weight. I still weigh the same as I did in high school.

alienhamster
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM

I find that I'm just as fast at 34 as I was in high school, but I seem to be gaining ground on my friends my age who have slowed down and gained weight. I still weigh the same as I did in high school. Do you (or others) think Hewitt has slowed down? If so, it could be related to the drive issue you're bringing up with Sampras since Hewitt's a family man now.

I ask partially because there was some debate the other day on here about Hewitt's speed. I'm totally convinced that he's been slower, esp. mid-last year to now. I saw him at Wimbledon and he just wasn't getting to balls as amazingly as he could in previous years.

And Safin moves very well for a big guy, but he seems so sluggish lately. Maybe it is all simply a matter of "drive," but I was thinking age and wear-and-tear has to matter at least somewhat.

Frodo Baggins
02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Davide Not Slowing Down>He's speeding up..oh ya is he Ever Speeding up;) With my help of course..

federer_nadal
02-17-2007, 06:38 AM
He is speedy, off the plane, play one match and back onto the plane after losing all in one day. Have to be quick to catch those planes, darn airline security.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
i love watching pros using speed(and i dont mean the drug) to win matches.

10sfreak
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM

I find that I'm just as fast at 34 as I was in high school, but I seem to be gaining ground on my friends my age who have slowed down and gained weight. I still weigh the same as I did in high school.
I think you're right on here Travler. I'm 43, and if I'm not the fastest guy in our league, I'm certainly one of the fastest. I can't think of anyone any faster, and that includes the young-uns! As for anyone in my age group, forget about it!
Funny thing is, I'm about 35 lbs heavier now than I was in HS. When I started lifting weights in the early '90s, I weighed about 130 lbs. Now I weigh 165 lbs. I still have a 29 inch waist though!

joeyscl
02-17-2007, 12:17 PM
If Federer is a cheetah, then im a Ferrari

aramis
02-17-2007, 12:30 PM
It's all about motivation, really. I noticed Hewitt doesn't scramble the same way he used and so he is losing a lot of baseline rallies he shouldn't be. Same for Ferrero, who used to be a tremendously fast mover, but now he's just flat. It makes sense for a guy who is exited and eager to play to be moving around the court with quick, agile steps. Anyone who plays tennis has probably experienced this.