PDA

View Full Version : I have totally lost my forehand

splink779
09-02-2004, 08:37 PM
I can't believe this and it is making me more frustrated every time. It has lost most of its topspin and has little power. I lost the form too. I don't know if anyone can actually help me, but just leeme know if anyone else has ever had this happen to them. I'm gonna go hit against a wall until my strings break or I get my forehand back, whatever comes first.

Mikael
09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
If we're talking about the mental part, it's probably all about letting the confidence come back to you.

skuludo
09-03-2004, 11:16 PM
I once had a forehand. Then I lost my forehand completly. I resorted to hitting a 2 handed forehand for a month; however, I knowticed that I just couldn't generate enough racket head speed because my abs felt tight and couldn't really pull the racket back compared to my 2 handed backhand. And then I developed a 1 handed semi-western forehand, but I was hitting off my backfoot and leaning back. Then my forehand evolved into a eastern forehand and I thought to myself I'm hitting the ball like a panda, which is slow. Then I changed back to a semi-western forehand and now I have a forehand. Still not as consistant as my 2 handed backhand, but I've only used this forehand for 3 hitting sessions. This new technique I learned on my own allowed me to hit running forehands on the dead run cross court or down the line. I decided to change because I am 5'6 and a lot of balls were coming to my sholder which is the strike zone for my semi-western crunch balls. With the eastern grip I just couldn't attack sholder high balls and my hand felt agitated when I returned someones topspin forehand. Now when I hit the ball with a semi-western forehand it feels different from the time I was leaning back and hitting it. The reason was while I used my eastern forehand my wrist and foreharm seems to have gotten stronger. With the eastern forehand when I make a off center hit the racket doesn't twist much and with the semi-western now, the racket doesn't twist at all during off center shots.

Tension started out at 65 pounds with polyester + string saver on the entire string bed on a Yonex MP Tour 1 Mid. Then dropped the tension to 55 pounds with the same setup for the eastern forehand. After that broke, I dropped down to 45 pounds with Head Tornament Nylon gauge 15 string + string savers. When I made the grip change back to semi-western I strung it back to 65 with polyester. All monofilament strings broke at the hoop for me except one time where it broke near the center. And that one time was the time when I didn't use string savers.

That is the story of my roller coaster ride to attain a forehand.

mistapooh
09-04-2004, 11:28 AM
look at yourself in the mirror and find out what's looking odd. Also, dont aim for power when you decide to play, just take it nice and control. Focus on your form instead, you'''ll begin to notice your mistakes.

papa
09-04-2004, 06:08 PM
First thing I'd tell you or anyone else is to go back and read BB's posts - they are right on the money and should help everyone.

Having said that I'd suggest that in addition to keeping your eyes on the ball the entire way (especially after the bounce), keep both hands on the racquet during the initial phase of the take-back to insure your getting your shoulders turned perpendicular to the net and knees bent - keeping your left hand on the racquet generally does both.

The other thing, as BB has said many times, that I think especially important, is to start slow - like in slow motion and speed up AFTER the swing/follow thru are in place. Have someone feed you some slow stuff and work your way into the fast balls.

Do yourself a favor and read/re-read BB's posts.