PDA

View Full Version : Richard Gasquet's Forehand Grip

atptennis123
02-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Does anyone have any idea what Richard Gasquet's forehand grip is?

(Base Knuckle on Bevel 3 Heel Pad on Bevel 3) (3/3 -Modern Eastern-Pete Sampras, Tim Henman, Dominik Hrbaty)

(3 1/2/ 3- Modified Eastern- Roger Federer, Paradorn Srichaphan, Mario Ancic)

(4/3- Mild Semi-Western- Andre Agassi, Nicolas Kiefer, James Blake, Marat Safin)

(4/3 1/2- Moderate Semi-Western- David Nalbandian, Guillermo Coria, Lleyton Hewitt, Fernando Gonzalez, Fernando Verdasco)

(4/4- Extreme Semi-Western- Andy Roddick, Tommy Robredo, Juan Carlos Ferrero, David Ferrer, Jose Acasuso, Nicolas Almagro, Gustavo Kuerten, Dmitry Tursunov, Robin Soderling, Stanislas Wawrinka, Arnaud Clement, Carlos Moya, Gaston Gaudio, Filippo Volandri)

(4 1/2/ 4 1/2- Half Western- Rafael Nadal, Sebastian Grosjean)

(5/5- Full Western)

morten
02-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Eastern/almost continental.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
02-17-2007, 04:29 PM
are you saying nadal has a half western grip? i always thought it was extreme western. how can you get more extreme than his grip?

atptennis123
02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
are you saying nadal has a half western grip? i always thought it was extreme western. how can you get more extreme than his grip?

A 4 1/2/ 4 1/2 forehand grip is not a full western yet, so it's called a half western. A 5/5 Grip is a Full Western. I don't think any pro uses a Full Western. Grosjean's grip is as extreme as it gets.

Anyway, does Richard Gasquet use that mild of a forehand grip (Modern Eastern- like Pete Sampras)?

splink779
02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
No Gasquet does not use Eastern and thus most definitely not nearly continental. Its semi western. - just one of the many variations between an eastern and a western.

abenguyen
02-17-2007, 07:14 PM

how more extreme you say? if nadal uses a western meaning its the 5th bevel counting with 1 being the top with the face of the racquet pointing to the left and right sides, then my friend uses an ultra western with his knuckle being on the 6th bevel. its like using a continental backhand grip but for a forehand. extreme elbow bend with some mad topspin

Bogie
02-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Eastern/almost continental.

no. he uses a extreme eastern grip ala federer, haas, etc. i'm 100% positive on this btw:)

KiNG
02-17-2007, 11:49 PM
no. he uses a extreme eastern grip ala federer, haas, etc. i'm 100% positive on this btw:)

No, Haas uses a western grip, I'm 200% positive on this.

Bogie
02-17-2007, 11:58 PM
No, Haas uses a western grip, I'm 200% positive on this.

what r u on bro? its an extreme eastern for sure.

david22
02-18-2007, 04:56 AM
in my opinion,Gasquet's forehand is above all what prevents him to still be a great champion.
his forehand is not even top 50 level.

splink779
02-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Haas is NOT anywhere near eastern, more near western.

All you guys have to do is go to getty images and search for these players.

splink779
02-18-2007, 06:37 AM
in my opinion,Gasquet's forehand is above all what prevents him to still be a great champion.
his forehand is not even top 50 level.

I think it is his tactics and shot selection. Too often he prefers to fall waay behind the baseline, and because he has the talent to pull off any shot, he sometimes picks the wrong one at the wrong tim.e

KiNG
02-18-2007, 07:27 AM
what r u on bro? its an extreme eastern for sure.

Yea man, like splink779 said, go look close at his images, don't judge by watching him on TV. Just like Richard Gasquet, you can be fooled by the way he prepares his forehand grip. BTW, Richard Gasquet uses a semi-western grip. But instead of turning/twisting the racquet to set up the forehand grip, he, like Haas, turns his wrist instead.