PDA

View Full Version : Ttc Is The Pits

breakfast_of_champions
02-18-2007, 06:22 AM
geez, all this great tennis in antwerp and san jose and all the tennis channel could manage was quarterfinal singles in san jose. and all those reruns are crazy.

armand
02-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I know. Trying to find a seat at 5pm at Yonge\Bloor is impossible!

whistleway
02-18-2007, 06:39 AM
TTC is the worst of its kind. I am a tennis fan and even I couldn't justify paying $10 extra to get it from Charter. I had it removed since their quality of broadcast is pathetic and they just won't show any live matches. Their scheduling sucks.. Their choice of matches are crappy.. And they just love to show some 15 years old Davis cup matches again and again and again.. And too much women's tennis as well.. I mean, come on, you would think they would have some brains for being called Tennis Channel. And top it off, they also show other sports as well.. And cut into tennis.. And their commercials suck big time.

I had them for more than 6 months and hoping they would get better. All I got is just a Tennis Channel hat. Big effing deal. I am rooting for them to have a painful demise..

Breaker
02-18-2007, 06:43 AM
TTC is the worst of its kind. I am a tennis fan and even I couldn't justify paying $10 extra to get it from Charter. I had it removed since their quality of broadcast is pathetic and they just won't show any live matches. Their scheduling sucks.. Their choice of matches are crappy.. And they just love to show some 15 years old Davis cup matches again and again and again.. And too much women's tennis as well.. I mean, come on, you would think they would have some brains for being called Tennis Channel. And top it off, they also show other sports as well.. And cut into tennis.. And their commercials suck big time.

I had them for more than 6 months and hoping they would get better. All I got is just a Tennis Channel hat. Big effing deal. I am rooting for them to have a painful demise..

Well looks like you're missing the clay court masters events, most of the French Open, the Tennis Channel Open, Stella Artois, Madrid, Paris, and many other fine tournaments that they will broadcast this year.

whistleway
02-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Well looks like you're missing the clay court masters events, most of the French Open, the Tennis Channel Open, Stella Artois, Madrid, Paris, and many other fine tournaments that they will broadcast this year.

hmm.. i don't have too much faith in them showing any quality match. Not with decent camera angle. Not live. Not without some really annoying commentators. Not interesting matches.. But, just some popular american players.. Last year their Madrid/Paris coverage sucked big time.. BIG time.

I don't know how long you had them.. But, don't let the hopes too high.. They have a great knack of disappointing even the hardcore tennis fans..

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 07:21 AM

I really think this is an honest assessment of TTC. I've had it for 3 years now, and I will have to agree. If I had to pay $10/mo for it, I'd cancel it to. Fortunately it's only an extra $3/mo for me, so I keep it around. It's good to watch the odd match, but all in all, it's just about worth $3 or about that.

If they actually had live coverage, it'd be great. I expected to see wacky players I had never seen before, b/c I was thinking "Well, a channel dedicated only to tennis, they'll probably cater to real fans who pay for this and can't get enough matches". But I was wrong. I don't know what their problem is, if the matches cost to much to broadcast or what. I have two words for them: WORLD FEED. Other sports use it. Maybe they should too. They're are already commentators on-site, just pipe them in. I don't need to here Leif Shiras and Jimmy Arias or Barry McKay doing EVERY match. They're ok, but come on.... just get some real matches.

Oh, and the scheduling. WTF IS THAT ABOUT? They just throw matches on whenever, overlapping what they would normally run... and the timing all whacked, I have no idea when things are ACTUALLY coming on. They say "2nd Semifinal, 8:30am", and I turn it on and it's Center Court or some crap. Then I go back later in the afternoon and see "No Strings", but I turn it on and it's a match! WTF IS THAT!

Topaz
02-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Ok, first of all, TTC usually gets the feeds provided by the local broadcast. So, if you have a problem with the quality and camera angles, it isn't TTC's fault. Go call up the station in Madrid, Paris, Moscow...whatever. They are calling the match on someone else's feed.

They can only show the matches and events they have the rights to show. In the case of San Jose, the singles matches were shown on FSN, so TTC can't show them.

Furthermore, if we didn't have the TTC, we would see even *less* tennis on TV. What would be good about that?

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Ok, first of all, TTC usually gets the feeds provided by the local broadcast. So, if you have a problem with the quality and camera angles, it isn't TTC's fault. Go call up the station in Madrid, Paris, Moscow...whatever. They are calling the match on someone else's feed.

They can only show the matches and events they have the rights to show. In the case of San Jose, the singles matches were shown on FSN, so TTC can't show them.

Furthermore, if we didn't have the TTC, we would see even *less* tennis on TV. What would be good about that?

Yes, your points are valid. I don't bash the quality of the feeds, I know it's not their fault. I also understand about the rights... but there are ton of other tournaments going on that they COULD show, but don't... It's like their catering to some casual fan, when what casual fan pays extra money for a dedicated channel? And I assume whoever does buy it, would buy it to watch matches, not 20 repeats of a Lori McNeil interview. I'm saying there are plenty of lower-tier/non-Masters tournaments they could be showing. I don't know what the problem is honestly, b/c I don't work there. I can only assume it has to do with budget. But what their putting out now is really rough. And I would expect it be getting better as the years go by... perhaps the French this year will be ok. We'll have to see.

You are right, we would see less tennis if not for the TTC. But what's the use if it's going to be nothing but frustration?

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 07:33 AM
BTW, i'm sure they're spending a ton of money sponsoring the Tennis Channel Open next week in Las Vegas. Tennis tournaments rarely make money for their sponsors. And it's not like you can see an ad for The Tennis Channel Open and say "ooo Tennis Channel, I'm going to add that"--IF your cable company doesn't offer it. It's like you're advertising for a product you don't even have the freedom to buy. I don't get that at all. However many dollars go into that could have been used to purchase rights to other tournaments. What kind of management runs TTC? Like any badly managed company, it sounds like their priorities are all out of whack.

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok, one more tought. Look at the Speed Channel. They (well, used to) do a specialty channel right. They were all about racing. They showed Busch series, open wheel, F1, rally car, NASCAR, dirt track, etc... Any kind of racing,they'd show it. They got rid of european rally car, which ****ed me off, but still, I give them credit for showing the fans what they wanted--racing. And maybe you didn't like some of their series (like me), so I just ignored those and tuned in for the ones I liked. Same with the Tennis Channel. They could show doubles matches, clay court matches, odd european players' matches... if I didn't like them, I'd tune it out... it's just so frustrating, it's a half-assed attempt at a specialty channel. Which is sad, because I'm sure there are many many people working their butts off behind the scenes.

psp2
02-18-2007, 07:48 AM

WOW, I know exactly where that is!! I stayed at a hotel just east of there in '05.

whistleway
02-18-2007, 07:49 AM
If I had a cent for everytime they showed the repeats of "Match Makers : Ball Kids", "Murphy's Guide", "Other Side - Lleyton Hewitt", "Destination Tennis : Las Vegas", and "Real Life on the WTA Tour" in the last month, I could easily buy a Wilson n6-1 !!

Fee
02-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Its all about money. Put it this way, do YOU have the money to go to every tennis tournament that you want to see this year? Well, sadly, neither does the Tennis Channel. They show what they can, when they can, within their budget (and yes, they do use the WORLD FEED). Pretty sure that budget was eaten into a little bit when they bought the rights to Roland Garros. Hopefully now that Comcast is adding TTC to more markets, their revenue and ratings will increase and they will be able to get the rights to more events.

It's a shame Steve Bellamy was booted out last year. I think many things have changed since he left.

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Its all about money. Put it this way, do YOU have the money to go to every tennis tournament that you want to see this year? Well, sadly, neither does the Tennis Channel. They show what they can, when they can, within their budget (and yes, they do use the WORLD FEED). Pretty sure that budget was eaten into a little bit when they bought the rights to Roland Garros. Hopefully now that Comcast is adding TTC to more markets, their revenue and ratings will increase and they will be able to get the rights to more events.

It's a shame Steve Bellamy was booted out last year. I think many things have changed since he left.

I understand that Fee, that's it's all about the money. They seem to concentrate on the big events though, like the Masters Series. I'm sure they command a much larger fee than the Tier 2 or other smaller events. I remember they used to show small stuff, like one time they showed a tourney from the Bahamas, it was Tomas Zib vs some other no-name. That was cool, I thought "wow, nowhere else but the Tennis Channel could you see this." That's what I think the Tennis Channel should be about. They shouldn't be competing with ESPN for big tourney coverage... they should be focusing on smaller, cheaper events until they have the revenue to support majors or tier-1 events. There's so much coverage of the Majors already (albeit not great match selection, thanks to ESPN), that I, as a subscriber, would much rather forego some extra hours of French coverage for more smaller tournaments throughout the year. B/c guess what is going to happen when the French is over? The Tennis Channel will keep rolling out re-runs of that until the US Open.

edberg505
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
B/c guess what is going to happen when the French is over? The Tennis Channel will keep rolling out re-runs of that until the US Open.

Nope, not quite true. They will be showing the Queen's club tourney.

Topaz
02-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes, your points are valid. I don't bash the quality of the feeds, I know it's not their fault. I also understand about the rights... but there are ton of other tournaments going on that they COULD show, but don't... It's like their catering to some casual fan, when what casual fan pays extra money for a dedicated channel? And I assume whoever does buy it, would buy it to watch matches, not 20 repeats of a Lori McNeil interview. I'm saying there are plenty of lower-tier/non-Masters tournaments they could be showing. I don't know what the problem is honestly, b/c I don't work there. I can only assume it has to do with budget. But what their putting out now is really rough. And I would expect it be getting better as the years go by... perhaps the French this year will be ok. We'll have to see.

You are right, we would see less tennis if not for the TTC. But what's the use if it's going to be nothing but frustration?

Actually, if you tune in today at 6pm, they are showing the Superset British under 21 championships.

And during tomorrow and Tuesday, they will be replaying the singles semis and final from San Jose for those of us (like me!) who missed them because we don't have FSN coverage.

They show what they can, and get us a lot more than ESPN does.

Fee
02-18-2007, 01:02 PM
I understand that Fee, that's it's all about the money. They seem to concentrate on the big events though, like the Masters Series. I'm sure they command a much larger fee than the Tier 2 or other smaller events. I remember they used to show small stuff, like one time they showed a tourney from the Bahamas, it was Tomas Zib vs some other no-name. That was cool, I thought "wow, nowhere else but the Tennis Channel could you see this." That's what I think the Tennis Channel should be about. They shouldn't be competing with ESPN for big tourney coverage... they should be focusing on smaller, cheaper events until they have the revenue to support majors or tier-1 events. There's so much coverage of the Majors already (albeit not great match selection, thanks to ESPN), that I, as a subscriber, would much rather forego some extra hours of French coverage for more smaller tournaments throughout the year. B/c guess what is going to happen when the French is over? The Tennis Channel will keep rolling out re-runs of that until the US Open.

The Tennis Channel has absolutely no rights to the USO, those are owned by CBS and the USA Network. I remember when they had coverage of that Challenger, but again it was someone else's coverage that they were able to pick up. You should write to TTC and let them know how you feel about their programming, and their budget priorities. They may be scheduling in order to attract new subscribers with big name tournaments without thinking that their current subscribers have a preference for more of the smaller level tournaments instead.

The Gorilla
02-18-2007, 01:20 PM
don't care about this topic, just checking to see if my signature works.

Fee
02-18-2007, 01:22 PM
no, this forum does not allow active links or images in signatures.

The Gorilla
02-18-2007, 01:23 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

can I ask why?

Fee
02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm sure you can, in the TW Suggestions and Questions forum. The answer might already be there.

redsoxjad
02-18-2007, 01:41 PM
If I see those No Strings episodes with Moya or Max Mirnyi again, I am seriously going to throw my TV off the balcony...

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 02:03 PM
The Tennis Channel has absolutely no rights to the USO, those are owned by CBS and the USA Network. I remember when they had coverage of that Challenger, but again it was someone else's coverage that they were able to pick up. You should write to TTC and let them know how you feel about their programming, and their budget priorities. They may be scheduling in order to attract new subscribers with big name tournaments without thinking that their current subscribers have a preference for more of the smaller level tournaments instead.

I know they don't ever show the US Open, I was just saying that to illustrate "they're going to be showing re-runs for a long time". I've written to them via their web site, granted not about their budget, but about their programming. I should do it again.... and again... but I hope more people are. I get all beside myself b/c the Tennis Channel could be great--they have such an opportunity to be the "go-to" channel for anything tennis. They have the power to get into so many more households than any other medium, and I feel like they're wasting their opportunity. They do hardly anything (nothing?) about gear, (Hello racquet companies...throw a little money, even if they're biased!), a wee bit about clubs & travel, nothing about "local" tennis... (They could work w/ the USTA and find out what's happening in each section...) and I've already gone over the match/pro stuff. I would love to know if they've considered this stuff, and cut it for cost, or do they honestly think they're doing enough?

Moose Malloy
02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Last year their Madrid/Paris coverage sucked big time.. BIG time.

Wow, I guess you can't please everyone. They were on the air 8-10 hours live everyday of those events, showing every match that was played on center court at those events. Not sure how the coverage could have been any better.

GRANITECHIEF
02-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I think TTC is awesome. Sure it could be better, but having to depend on ESPN for 95% of tennis viewing would really suck.

dubsplayer
02-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I think TTC is awesome. Sure it could be better, but having to depend on ESPN for 95% of tennis viewing would really suck.

Agree. Besides who in their right mind has it on 24/7? People with no other life whatsoever? I have no problem with their coverage at all. Non US DC coverage rocks, the TMS is wall to wall and I remember when Espn had MC/Rome/Hamburg - they showed one match a day and nothing from the fall indoor masters. As for wee touneys - sheesch - they showed matches from the grass court tourney in Liverpool, ffs. Doesn't get much wee-er then that. And did Espn or any other network ever show a match from SAm, or Thailand, or Dubai or Aus except for AO? Don't think so. I just think all the whiners expect to much for a small network without the resources of a Espn or USA. And if you think it's so awful quit whining and just cancel it. No one is forcing you to subscribe.

pound cat
02-20-2007, 01:54 PM

LOL Not too many people on this board are gonna get that.

Gugafan_Redux
02-21-2007, 06:42 AM
They seem to concentrate on the big events though, like the Masters Series. ...I remember they used to show small stuff, like one time they showed a tourney from the Bahamas, it was Tomas Zib vs some other no-name. That was cool

I can't help but think, if they did this, then when the Master's Canada was on and Marat and Roddick (or something) met in the first round, and you're watching Thomas Zib in the Bahamas, you'd be *****ing about missing a great match.

sureshs
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Don't cancel your subscriptions, guys. (I get it as part of a sports package). TTC may suck, but it is better than nothing. In fact, they show a lot of matches live - the minor tourneys, Davis Cup, Fed Cup, etc. Also lots of interviews, instruction, inside glimpses. Do you want us to lose all that because they show the same ads and reruns ad nauseum? Just don't watch those reruns. Think of a TTC subscription as your duty towards tennis :-) You spend more on other trivial stuff every month I am sure.

vascoboy
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
but you have to be open minded about some of the challenges they face: this
is not MLB or NFL...also, my guess is that they will be broadcasting Eurosport during the French Open and other tourneys, and typically that's better than most american broadcasts...
some of their programming leaves to be desired i know, but if you're a tennis fan, what else is there? ESPN?
christian