PDA

View Full Version : What surface do you play on and/or is common in your country?

Warriorroger
02-18-2007, 09:18 AM
I am from the Netherlands and that means there are a lot of claycourts to play on. When I visit my cousins in the USA, I always play on hardcourts. I am curious of any of you American players have ever played on clay and are curious to play on it. I hate clay. I love playing indoors.

Let me know your thoughts.

4brotherdrive
02-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I usually play on hardcourts in Miami, Fl but there are a few clay court facilities. I personally hate playing on clay, I dislike the bounce and the slowness of this court, plus I feel like I am going to fall when I play on clay. It's a dreadful experience for me because I have a very attacking style of play. The hardcourts in Miami are usually slow and there arent any indoor courts because we live in perpetual summertime. I perfer hardcourts any day.

Warriorroger
02-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I usually play on hardcourts in Miami, Fl but there are a few clay court facilities. I personally hate playing on clay, I dislike the bounce and the slowness of this court, plus I feel like I am going to fall when I play on clay. It's a dreadful experience for me because I have a very attacking style of play. The hardcourts in Miami are usually slow and there arent any indoor courts because we live in perpetual summertime. I perfer hardcourts any day.

The claycourts you have, are they like the red European clay or the American green clay?

Hartzy
02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I currently play on carpet with granules. It's extremely fast with very low bounces. During the spring and summer I play on outdoor red clay. Back in the good old USA I'm on hardcourts year around.

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2007, 11:30 AM
There's an interesting dual-personality around here. All of the public courts are hard courts. Yet almost all of the private courts are clay... they usually have a few hards thrown, in but, it's almost all clay. So it's sort of strange. # of hard courts still outranks clay though.

vkartikv
02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Believe it or not, there's a lot of grass courts in India.

Ivanišević
02-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I usually play on hard court, rarely on clay.
But 90% of courts in Croatia are clay courts.
Which is funny because we never had a real clay court player:confused:

Feņa14
02-18-2007, 11:39 AM
In England I guess it's hard court or artificial.

Some of the upmarket clubs have grass courts in the summer but I used to play on regular hard or indoors.

Nick Irons
02-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I usually (and prefer Hard Court) but am currently with a club that only has Clay (Green). As soon as my neighborhood completes the new tennis courts (4 brand new hard courts) I'll go back to that !

Pisolino227
02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I really enjoy a medium hardcourt............I hate the green clay.........I mean the green gravel.

Verbal_Kint
02-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey warriorroger, where do you live in the Netherlands? I'm in Utrecht, but also frequent Amsterdam and Deventer/Apeldoorn..

SoBad
02-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Here in DC there is an abundance of free public courts. All of those are hardcourts, with a wide range of quality of surface and how fast they play (most are fast though).

There are also some public facilities where you pay for court time, there you have a choice of indoor and outdoor hardcourts, as well as outdoor har-tru (fast green clay), mostly poor quality.

Some clubs and hotels (like Hinckley Hilton!) in the city have good har-true outdoor courts, and in the suburbs there are a bunch of private clubs (usually golf + tennis) with good quality har-tru surfaces.

I have heard of one club in the area with red clay courts. I have not heard of a grass court around here (maybe at the White House??).

jelle v
02-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice to see there are some people from Holland here!

I'm from Holland too. I live in Rotterdam (near the Erasmus University) and I can confirm that in Holland people mostly play on gravel. Must say that I see a tendency to have more artificial grasscourts because they cost less in maintenance. I hate the artificial grasscourts, balls don't bounce very high so it's killing for my topspin gravel minded game :grin:

Alejandro D
02-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I personally hate playing on clay, I dislike the bounce and the slowness of this court, plus I feel like I am going to fall when I play on clay.

It depends on what surface you've lerned/are used to play. I've played on clay all my life and I feel very unsafe when I play on hard.

Noveson
02-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I play on crappy cracked hard courts. Our school is more of a basketball school:( But I play varsitiy basketball also so that isn't so bad.

4brotherdrive
02-18-2007, 02:41 PM
The claycourts you have, are they like the red European clay or the American green clay?

Green clay, not as slow as red, but still slower than a hardcourt.

4brotherdrive
02-18-2007, 02:44 PM
It depends on what surface you've lerned/are used to play. I've played on clay all my life and I feel very unsafe when I play on hard.

I understand what your saying I am just stating my personal opinion. I am not saying that clay is a bad surface it just doesn't suit me because I play a hard-court orientated game.

Volly master
02-18-2007, 02:50 PM
i <3 the green clay, its my favorite surface my far.

patrick922
02-18-2007, 02:53 PM
here in the dc metro area hard courts are the most common. there are other surfaces like har-tru clay and carpet with sand; but those are usually limited to clubs and such.

Alejandro D
02-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I understand what your saying I am just stating my personal opinion. I am not saying that clay is a bad surface it just doesn't suit me because I play a hard-court orientated game.

I know what you mean. Some people think that a standard surface shoud be picked. Personally, I believe that the diversity of surfaces makes tennis more interesting.

Warriorroger
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey warriorroger, where do you live in the Netherlands? I'm in Utrecht, but also frequent Amsterdam and Deventer/Apeldoorn..

Near Den Haag:grin:

Andres
02-18-2007, 04:24 PM
90% of the courts are claycourts in Argentina.
The rest is a 8% of hardcourts, and the 2%, synthetic grass and carpet.

baseliner87
06-14-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah in australia we have a big variety most common would be en-tout-cas courts wich is like clay courts but a bit faster and then it's a mix of hard courts and synthetic grass, followed by a low percentage of grass courts.

baseliner87
06-14-2007, 06:05 PM
anyone else?

rum02
06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
i'm from australia too and i mainly see grass courts and hard courts. although i do live in the country so i don't see many courts in the cities. our local courts are sort of sand/dirt, sounds terrible but not that bad to play on.

ShcMad
06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
i'm from australia too and i mainly see grass courts and hard courts. although i do live in the country so i don't see many courts in the cities. our local courts are sort of sand/dirt, sounds terrible but not that bad to play on.

Have you ever played on Rebound Ace, mate? I'd love to try Rebound Ace. All we get here in America are hardcourts and green clay.

rum02
06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Have you ever played on Rebound Ace, mate? I'd love to try Rebound Ace. All we get here in America are hardcourts and green clay.
i have played on hardcourts, i'm not sure if any were rebound ace though, i know it's a different surface than regular hardcourts but is it even that much better/different? the aus open isn't even going to be played on rebound ace anymore, we're just getting the US surface i think. i mainly play on my crappy local courts and sometimes grass. i thought there'd be plenty of grasscourts in the US???

rum02
06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
yeah in australia we have a big variety most common would be en-tout-cas courts wich is like clay courts but a bit faster and then it's a mix of hard courts and synthetic grass, followed by a low percentage of grass courts.

"en-tout-cas courts" could you elaborate on these courts? are thay sort of a sandy colour (lighter than the european red clay)? need heaps of watering?

lethalfang
06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm in California, and I haven't seen any court other than hard courts.
I would really love to play on clay courts though. I think my game is better suited for clay courts. :-s

D-Bomb
06-14-2007, 10:47 PM
i have played on hardcourts, i'm not sure if any were rebound ace though, i know it's a different surface than regular hardcourts but is it even that much better/different? the aus open isn't even going to be played on rebound ace anymore, we're just getting the US surface i think. i mainly play on my crappy local courts and sometimes grass. i thought there'd be plenty of grasscourts in the US???

actually there are very very few grass courts in the US. I live in Northern California where hard courts completely dominate, and the only other surface I've played on is chewed-up red clay in Spain (stick the American on the the court with no sweep!). I'm disappointed about it, and I'd love to play on every surface there is. So I suppose I'd do great at a place like Saddlebrook in FLA eh?

tennis_hand
06-14-2007, 10:51 PM
mainly hardcourts. played on synthetic grass too.

wanna try clay, not i don't think I'll like it.

favorite: grass, even if it is synthetic. just like the feeling of stepping on it and fast balls.

rum02
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
actually there are very very few grass courts in the US. I live in Northern California where hard courts completely dominate, and the only other surface I've played on is chewed-up red clay in Spain (stick the American on the the court with no sweep!). I'm disappointed about it, and I'd love to play on every surface there is. So I suppose I'd do great at a place like Saddlebrook in FLA eh?

i wonder why... i live in a pretty isolated place here in australia and half an hours
drive north there's a huge grass court tennis complex with about 30-40 courts. half an hours drive in the oppposite direction and there's another grass court tennis centre with 15-20 courts. even in this town (3,000 people) we used to have 8 grass courts, but because of the drought we couldn't maintain them anymore.

woodie55
06-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Baseliner87 - re your comments. Depends on where you are in Aus re the en-tout-cas courts. I assume you are in Melbourne or perhaps one of the other capital cities, and I would agree that there are lots of clubs that have en-tout-cas or red porous clay, well brick dust , but once you leave the capital cities then no. Outside of the metropolitan areas either hard courts (asphalt or plexi pave courts) used to dominate. These are rapidly losing ground to synthetic grass or synthetic clay (as in classic clay, poly clay etc). I may add that there a lot of clubs, in the northeren suburbs of Melb anyway, that are now laying synthetic grass or classic clay courts. And rum02, yes en-tout-cas courts are the ones that look like red clay and, yes they do need a lot of water (about a 1000 litres per court per day is our current useage). I grew up in the country Vic and the local town (pop. 3000) had grass courts maintained by the council. Well, when I say grass, I mean 60% grass and 40% dirt, as they were not maintained all that well. But all the other courts around the area were asphalt (pre-date plexipave). One town had rubberised courts (shredded rubber mixed with bitumen - three hits and the balls were black). Grass in Australia is definitely a dying surface as it cannot be used year round and is very expensive and time consuming to maintain. And councils in the main are no longer doing the maintenance and small country town clubs can no longer afford to maintain them. I can only think of 9 grass court complexes left in Vic - Mildura, Swan Hill, Albury-Wodonga, Hamilton, Geelong, Creswick, Kooyong, Bendigo and Yarrawonga. I think that's it but I cannot be really sure.

rum02
06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
wangaratta also has grass. whorouly also have good grass courts (i think it's whorouly). according to the tennis aus site myrtleford has grass too. but yeah i agree grass is starting to loose popularity.

ThomasH
06-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Well I'm dutch, so most of the time I play on clay and in the winter we play on carpet or hardcourt. but at my club there are going to build a hall so we can play on clay during the winter season

origmarm
06-15-2007, 12:56 AM
In London I play mostly on hardcourts. I have played on some astroturf also and once on grass.
I used to play on clay all the time when I lived in continental europe.
I prefer the clay, but then I'm getting old and slow :)

callitout
06-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Does anyone have an economic explanation for why clay is more common in most of the world but hard is predominant in US. Ive always assumed clay was more expensive to maintain--watering. But maybe thats not correct. I supose hard has to be resurfaced every few years.
And I have no idea which is more expensive to install initially.

Koaske
06-15-2007, 01:37 AM
There are lots of clay courts in Finland. Almost all of the tournaments in summer are played on clay. There are usually a few hard courts around too but grass courts are very rare. I'd like to play on grass though.

kimizz
06-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Why most of the clay courts at US are made of that green stuff? There isnt any big tournaments on green clay, but there is one GS and few masters at red clay. It would make sense if they only made hardcourts at US, or hardcourts and red clay. But why the green stuff?

BNK
06-15-2007, 03:52 AM
Oz, Clay, Love-em

Peace out;)

baseliner87
06-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Oz, Clay, Love-em

Peace out;)
hey were is aus are you from?

baseliner87
06-15-2007, 04:08 AM

and were are you from?

baseliner87
06-15-2007, 04:10 AM

yeah sorry mate when i say hard court i mean rebound ace there really no hard court around were i live just rebound ace

baseliner87
06-15-2007, 04:18 AM
"en-tout-cas courts" could you elaborate on these courts? are thay sort of a sandy colour (lighter than the european red clay)? need heaps of watering?

yeah mate they are like clay courts they call then en-tout-cas because they hare a bit faster than original clay courts, and i'm pretty sure they are made of crushed brick or something, don't get me wrong they look exactly the same as clay courts but are not made of clay.

rommil
06-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Ok here is mine. Originally from the Philippines and grew up playing on fast(I mean very fast) hardcourts and the occassional shell(lol) courts. In the US now so I play mostly on hardcourts and red clay(which I always have to adjust a lot since my game is not really suited for clay lol). Have yet to play on grass

MasturB
06-15-2007, 05:42 AM
The public park here in Savannah, Ga (USA) has 9 courts.

1 section of green clay
1 section of red clay
1 section of green hardcourt (not sure if it's fast/medium or whatnot)

I hate playing clay, I normally play at the hardcourts here at Armstrong Atlantic University.
http://www.athletics.armstrong.edu/graphics/tennisc1.JPG
The AASU Tennis Complex serves as home to the Pirate men's and women's tennis teams, perennial participants in the NCAA Division II National Championships and home courts of the 1995 and 1996 NCAA Division II Women's Tennis National Champions. The Complex features 10 courts, a fieldhouse with stringing facility and storage and spectator stands between the two top courts. New wind screens replaced the original ones during the summer of 2003 and the facility will play host to the 2003 ITA Mid-Atlantic Regional in October.

ACE of Hearts
06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
I usually play on hardcourts since i am in the U.S.I have played on grass, they are a couple of grass courts where i live.Never played on clay.

NoBadMojo
06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Why most of the clay courts at US are made of that green stuff? There isnt any big tournaments on green clay, but there is one GS and few masters at red clay. It would make sense if they only made hardcourts at US, or hardcourts and red clay. But why the green stuff?

There use to be an entire summer season of Pro tourneys in the US played on the harTru (green clay). It would be great to see that come back for a lot of reasons I think. The reason why you see the HarTru (green clay) in the US an not elsewhere much if at all is because it is a natural crushed rock/stone material only found in the US (Virginia area I believe)...I suspect the reason why it isnt seen in other countries is because it is heavy and expensive to ship.
Altho I grew up on fast hard courts playing serve/volley T, I really think it <HarTru> is the best surface. Best supports all styles of play and is easy on the body....obviously lots more expensive to maintain than most hardcourts, and why isnt seen on many muni facilities or high school courts..

PBODY99
06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
The Delaware Valley has hard, red clay green fast dry, which I play on weeekly and grass courts which I play on only 4 to 7 times a year.

lilxjohnyy
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
hard and clay... never played on carpet or grass but would really like to... especially grass

vlad101
06-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Mainly hardcourts in SoCal. The only clay courts are at the Riviera Country Club where you have to pay $200K to be a member. But we do have league tournaments there. I actually grew up on sort of a shell surface which is kind of like sand/dirt. When I moved to the states for high school it was tough learning how to play on hardcourts. I would slide into shots all the time and my tennis shoes would be worn out in days. I love clay. I prefer to play on clay anyday.

Warriorroger
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Nice to see my thread is still alive, at the moment I play on artifical grass, which is slow like clay, but has more honest bounce and being from Europen I am used to sliding on it. But I love indoor.

Volly master
06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/time_fighter/DSCF2038.jpg

a nice green clay court when i was on vaction in flordia.

WhiteSox05CA
06-15-2007, 12:00 PM
There aren't many clay courts at all in the US. I hate playing on clay because the dirt is so annoying. It gets all over your socks and in your shoes. You don't have that firm footing that hard courts provides. I played clay court tennis in Palm Beach, FL. There are only a few I know of in Chicago- nothing compared to hard courts. And I don't know of any grass courts near me.

psamp14
06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
hard courts, hard courts, hard courts....

i havent wandered off looking for clay courts, but i would definitely like to play on clay and grass for fun

around where i am, my local facility has fast hard courts, and the public courts have slow to medium pace hard courts

theballboy
06-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I live in NYC. Most public tennis courts are hard courts, but I personally play mostly on a wooden indoor basketball court that we use for tennis. That and an astroturf soccer field that's on the roof of a school near my house. As a result, I've never played n anything but superfast surfaces.

Pusher
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I live in the US and in my small town we had two clay courts. I'm not talking about the nice US green clay or the crushed brick of Roland Garros-I mean regular hard red clay that that covers most of the deep south. I suppose the courts,at one time, had lines but we used coke cans or sticks to mark the court. No ball was called out unless it was really, really out. And the net, well....

kimizz
06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
There use to be an entire summer season of Pro tourneys in the US played on the harTru (green clay). It would be great to see that come back for a lot of reasons I think. The reason why you see the HarTru (green clay) in the US an not elsewhere much if at all is because it is a natural crushed rock/stone material only found in the US (Virginia area I believe)...I suspect the reason why it isnt seen in other countries is because it is heavy and expensive to ship.
Altho I grew up on fast hard courts playing serve/volley T, I really think it <HarTru> is the best surface. Best supports all styles of play and is easy on the body....obviously lots more expensive to maintain than most hardcourts, and why isnt seen on many muni facilities or high school courts..

I see, thx for the answer. Whats the trend now at US, more red clay and less HarTru? Might make sense since there is few masters and RG in red clay,non on the HarTru.

Pete Semper
06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I live in France I play on hardcourts and clay...Never played on grass.

Warriorroger
06-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I usually play on hardcourts since i am in the U.S.I have played on grass, they are a couple of grass courts where i live.Never played on clay.

If you ever come to the Netherlands, let me know, we can play on clay, curious what you find of it.

baseliner87
06-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Nice to see my thread is still alive, at the moment I play on artifical grass, which is slow like clay, but has more honest bounce and being from Europen I am used to sliding on it. But I love indoor.

yeah i was looking at the back pages, found this thought ill comment and look what happens.

mmuubb
06-16-2007, 03:41 AM
In Poland 95% of courts are clay, we have some indoor hardcorts too. But unless You live in a major city it's hard to get them, so I mostly play on parquet during winter-that's fun:) Faster than grass I'd even say:)

BigGriff
06-16-2007, 05:03 AM
I am from the Netherlands and that means there are a lot of claycourts to play on. When I visit my cousins in the USA, I always play on hardcourts. I am curious of any of you American players have ever played on clay and are curious to play on it. I hate clay. I love playing indoors.

Let me know your thoughts.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. Fast hard courts can be found every where around here. I am a member of a local tennis club that has red clay and carpet. I have also played on green clay and grass.

I like playing on hard courts, grass, and carpet. I hate playing on clay because it is just a mess.

I think hard courts are prevalent in the U.S. because it is less maintenance and cheaper for city recreational departments.

croatian sensation
06-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Red clay. We got a Wimbledon champion and about 3 grass courts in the whole country.
It's 99% clay. Just red, red, red.

Andres
06-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Red clay. We got a Wimbledon champion and about 3 grass courts in the whole country.
It's 99% clay. Just red, red, red.
You mean 'orange, orange, orange' ;)

Forehand Forever
06-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Where I live it's mostly hard courts but at one private club I belong to, they have the American green clay. The courts are very poor kept and it hardly plays like a green clay court. In August, I play a tournament at this one private club which has the nicest green clay I've ever seen.

Lionheart
06-16-2007, 06:00 AM
I play mostly on red clay courts, but hard courts are also common around here, my club has 29 clay courts and 3 hard courts.

Warriorroger
06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
yeah i was looking at the back pages, found this thought ill comment and look what happens.

Thanks for doing so.

Warriorroger
06-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. Fast hard courts can be found every where around here. I am a member of a local tennis club that has red clay and carpet. I have also played on green clay and grass.

I like playing on hard courts, grass, and carpet. I hate playing on clay because it is just a mess.

I think hard courts are prevalent in the U.S. because it is less maintenance and cheaper for city recreational departments.

The fun thing is that juniors from the USA and Europe develop a very different kind of game. In the Netherlands almost every guy is about 6.4, I am only 5.7 and have difficulties when I have to play those high topsin groundstrokes. Only whe it's very hot here, have I chance, because then the clay court plays almost like a hardcourt.

fgzhu88
06-17-2007, 01:23 PM
in US&A it's pretty much all hard courts. I like slow outdoor hardcourts (hate indoor fast; slow reflexes)
I really want to try grass and clay though, I heard it's easier on the legs.

baseliner87
06-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Thanks for doing so.

hey it's not just me it's everyone

veritech
06-18-2007, 03:20 AM

i'm from sf as well. i've never played on anything else but hard courts, seeing that there are nonaround my specific area. and the fact that me and my friends don't want to pay is another obstacle.

carol4832
06-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I am From Los Angeles, everyone over here plays on hardcourt. I have played on Red Clay, Grass, Fast dry at La Costa and in the springs.. It's pretty cool to play on clay, and it feels pretty good to me since I played lots of baseball through college. It's a timing thing for the adjustment. I prefer to play on hardcourts because my game is built around pace, angles, and depth. for Me hardcourt is my preference, but playing ten on any surface is cool.

TheHuntor
06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
I live in the US and in my small town we had two clay courts. I'm not talking about the nice US green clay or the crushed brick of Roland Garros-I mean regular hard red clay that that covers most of the deep south. I suppose the courts,at one time, had lines but we used coke cans or sticks to mark the court. No ball was called out unless it was really, really out. And the net, well....

but that's just plain shady. Here in the Bay Area, it's all hard courts and no exceptions. I would be happy to see some clay and grass but unfortunately it probably won't happen. I remember how cool it was to see and play on clay and grass around the Melbourne suburbs when I was visiting Australia. It was cool, grass at the high school and clay in the park. Wish we had some variety.

Oricus
06-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I have played mostly on hard courts. Been a member of a few tennis clubs where they had the ol' green clay. Never felt comfortable on the clay, always felt flat footed like my feet were in cement.

Char
07-09-2007, 05:05 AM
I'm in the US and most courts are hard courts. We have a very nice set of clay courts in the park near where I live and that's where I play more often. Its my favorite surface. I probably play 60% clay and 40% hard courts.

There's an indoor club nearby that has the artificial surface similar to the Australian and I played on that once. It'd be nice to join. It was interesting to play on, but the main thing of course would be the ability for year round play. There are also two grass courts in town at a private club that have an annual membership equal to the cost of my car lol, so I wont be on those any time soon. I have never played on grass sadly.