PDA

View Full Version : Hyung-Taik Lee: A Poor Man's Federer?

chair ump
02-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Anybody else think Lee has one of the more complete and graceful games out there? I was very impressed with his variety too, mixing up some slice from the back, serve/volley, and solid compact groundies. Entertaining to watch because he seems to hit an extremely pure ball that is sweetly timed...reminds me in a lot of ways of Federer, but with less damaging weapons overall.

ATXtennisaddict
02-18-2007, 04:42 PM
But Federer wins wins wins.

Alexandros
02-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Grosjean is a better example. Forehand is the primary weapon, proficient in all areas of the court with both power and touch. Mental train wreck though.

chair ump
02-18-2007, 05:00 PM
But Federer wins wins wins.

Understood...hence the title of the thread.

grizzly4life
02-18-2007, 06:02 PM
did this guy play nadal at night in toronto? korean or taiwanese....

alienhamster
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
He's South Korean.

I've seen him live a couple of times, most recently in an awesome 5-setter against Hewitt at Wimbledon last year. That guy can really play, but his forehand is so erratic. When it's on, he can blow you off the court. But when it's off . . . well, look at his results.

The backhand is just great though. He can hit that one-hander to pretty much any spot on the court from seemingly any position.

Pushmaster
02-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I think Tommy Haas is more of a poor man's Federer. He's like Federer in that he doesn't have any real technical weaknesses, only Federer does everything a little better. Although, the big difference between the two is that Federer is much more mentally tougher than Haas.

bluetrain4
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I agree with both Haas and Grosjean. But, even though I don't think Grosjean is any sort of mental giant, and certainly has his lapses, I wouldn't call him a mental trainwreck. I mean he's won plenty of tourneys, beat all the top players and made the SFs in 3 of the 4 slams and the quarters or 4th Rnd of the U.S. Open.

No more of a mental trainwreck than Blake (at least on the biggest stages).

SoBad
02-18-2007, 09:01 PM
He is a great player, I saw him play, it's just unfortunate that his best game came to him at his late age.

ibemadskillzz
02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I think Lee is definitely one of the best players out there- talent wise (ranked 54 now), but he has no mental toughness. He could've easily beaten Murray in the quarterfinals last week (eventual winner of SAP open, saw it on tennis channel LIVE). Lost in a tiebreak in the last set. he definitely has sweet contact and has every shot(slices, good net game, topspin) just not as hard as Federer. both his forehand and his backhands are strong. phenomenal backhand
He just needs to fight out there, but he plays like he does not care if he loses or wins. Pretty much like Safin, he has a lot of talent but, he is not totally committed to winning at all.
I remember Lee beating Lapentti, Roddick, Safin (seeded #1), Ferrira, Ferrero (seeded 2) in the finals to win the sdyney open 2003 (all these players were hot during that time).

The Gorilla
02-18-2007, 09:14 PM
just checking sig

The Gorilla
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
checking sig

galain
02-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I agree with Haas being more like Federer. Their shotmaking is very similar.

As for Hyung, I was really happy to see him win in Sydney a few years ago. He seems like such an unassuming guy. Nice classical strokes too - we could all learn from watching him hit the ball I think.

travlerajm
02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
checking sig

That's hilarious, Gorilla. It actually looks like him.

fastdunn
02-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Lee has very talented athletic game.
If Lee hit the international scene at earlier age, he could have been
much higher ranked player. His athletic talents are very obvious.

But I'm not sure if Lee's game reminds me of Federer's.
Federer's shots are crazy spin based. Lee is a flat shot maker.

To me, somehow Federer reminds me of Pioline.
Pioline is a poor man's Federer (to me).

caulcano
02-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Lee has very talented athletic game.
If Lee hit the international scene at earlier age, he could have been
much higher ranked player. His athletic talents are very obvious.

But I'm not sure if Lee's game reminds me of Federer's.
Federer's shots are crazy spin based. Lee is a flat shot maker.

To me, somehow Federer reminds me of Pioline.
Pioline is a poor man's Federer (to me).

I read somewhere Lee favours the Asian circuit more, so is less likely to move up the ranking with pts on offer there?

chair ump
02-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Yeah, his backhand down the line in San Jose to break Murray in the QF's to go to the deciding breaker was one of the best shots I've seen this year under the circumstances. It's funny though how when Murray was serving for the match there in the 3rd set, that Lee's forehand all of a sudden came alive and was hitting blistering winners...he should've been doing that earlier!

ATXtennisaddict
02-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Hyung Taik Lee, Pdorn, and Danai "u don't choke" and Yen Tsu Lu. Not bad by my fellow Asians!

fastdunn
02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I read somewhere Lee favours the Asian circuit more, so is less likely to move up the ranking with pts on offer there?

Well, I guess since it's closer to his home (south korea).
I think he gets regular atp points.

By the way, AFAIK, he's been coached by fellow korean (choi hee joon?)
who made quarter-final of junior wimbledon (in 1980's ?).

But I thought they showed a different coach on TTC at San Jose.
Have he changed his coach ???

The Gorilla
02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
he is unable to hit the ball hard, that is incompatible with his aggressive style of play as he cannot pass the great defenders.

chair ump
02-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I noticed that Lee really gets down low for his backhand...what else did y'all notice that makes his backhand so effective?

35ft6
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I actually called Ljubicic baby Federer once.

chair ump
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I actually called Ljubicic baby Federer once.

Sorry, I don't see this one at all...Lubi doesn't have a very effective forehand. :confused:

Golden Retriever
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Anyone with a 1HBH is a poor man's version of Federer.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM

HAHA /HUG

safin. end.

35ft6
02-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Sorry, I don't see this one at all...Lubi doesn't have a very effective forehand. :confused: Both play an all court game. I don't see Ljubicic as having a bad forehand. Nice variety, etc. He just doesn't have Federer's instincts or defense. I think I said this around the time Ivan was playing like the number 2 in the world but kept running into Federer at tournaments.

Hewittfan22
02-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Lee is a great player no doubt other than getting spanked by agassi at australin open couple of years ago(almost got triple bagled). He can pretty much compete with any guys on the tour on any given day very very soild hits the ball extremely clean i know this cause ive been to his matches quite a lot and watched him from like 3 feet away. He just needs extra power off his groundies and his serves sucks he only got 1 title in his career and his already like 32 or 33 cant remember.

Hey chair ump u know who i am right??? SKYLINE BUDDY hahaha great post
we should it sometime soon man

chair ump
02-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Lee is a great player no doubt other than getting spanked by agassi at australin open couple of years ago(almost got triple bagled). He can pretty much compete with any guys on the tour on any given day very very soild hits the ball extremely clean i know this cause ive been to his matches quite a lot and watched him from like 3 feet away. He just needs extra power off his groundies and his serves sucks he only got 1 title in his career and his already like 32 or 33 cant remember.

Hey chair ump u know who i am right??? SKYLINE BUDDY hahaha great post
we should it sometime soon man

Whassup Hewittfan,

How are you? I'll be back on the court as soon as my shoulder starts feeling better. I'm going to give it a few more weeks. And then we'll definitely smash some rafa forehands. take care dude.

-ump

ATXtennisaddict
02-20-2007, 06:41 AM

apparently this is the logic most TW-ers adopt lol

chair ump
02-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Even Lee's serve kinda looks like Fed's. ;)

MonkeyPox
02-20-2007, 04:13 PM
You have to be very poor to see Federer in Lee. Haas would be way closer, but his nasty temper throws off the comparison.

chair ump
02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
You have to be very poor to see Federer in Lee. Haas would be way closer, but his nasty temper throws off the comparison.

I don't quite see the Haas comparison. He plays with a certain stiffness that is very different from Roger. Maybe, it's Lee's fluidity of footwork and stroke production that I am comparing to Fed's.

NamRanger
02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't quite see the Haas comparison. He plays with a certain stiffness that is very different from Roger. Maybe, it's Lee's fluidity of footwork and stroke production that I am comparing to Fed's.

Haas has excellent footwork. He has excellent angles and spin on his shots, just no where near as much depth and pace as Federer.

DashaandSafin
02-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Guys, Nicholas Kiefer of Germany is CLEARLY a poor man's Federer.

tennisdude083
02-20-2007, 09:53 PM
the March '07 Tennis magazine dubbed Richard Gasquet as "Baby Federer" in the "Hot Shots" section dealing with the up and coming young dudes (and chicks) in the game.

Ethan04
02-25-2007, 10:36 AM
he isn't talented, simply a hard working guy. he reminds me of Mal Washington. consistent and not much weapon to hurt his opponents.

!Tym
02-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, the Mal Washington comparison is dead on. He's good all-around, very solid off all shots and at net, good court sense, very solid backhands, decent serves, very quick, stocky, thick, solid builds for tennis pros, good heads on their shoulders, very mentally tough and good competitors...yet Michael Chang/Muster level competitor/mental toughness, fitness, court coverage? Not quite. Courier level serve? Not quite. Kafelnikov or Pioline or Korda or Medvedev level backhands? Not quite. Better than Richey Reneberge level forehand? Yeah, I guess, but still not something to get excited about either. Good volleyer? Yeah, but compared to who, like real serve and volleyers or to other baseliners?

Their shot trajectories are also almost dead bang on the same, to go with their near identical builds. The one big thing though is that Mal was one of the best returner's in the game, which Lee isn't quite.