PDA

View Full Version : how are you enjoy the federer free tennis this week?

Roger is Boring
02-18-2007, 05:35 PM
i'm loving it

ferocious4hand
02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
almost as good as nadel free week

AJK1
02-18-2007, 05:39 PM
It's boring without him:-(

Viper
02-18-2007, 05:41 PM
almost as good as nadel free week

XD (10 char.)

_mats_
02-18-2007, 05:56 PM
I love that Nadel guy, there are rumors he's Nadal's secret twin brother separated at birth

Nadal_Freak
02-18-2007, 06:24 PM
i'm loving it
Same here. :p

federerforever
02-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Federer not playing is the best thing in the universe. I hope the boring and annoying Federer retires from tennis as soon as possible.

alienhamster
02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Not a Federer hater here, but . . .

I have to admit: it's nice to see tournaments where you can't predict the winner beforehand.

ja_
02-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I love that Nadel guy, there are rumors he's Nadal's secret twin brother separated at birth
Good catch! I missed it.

As for the week being "Federer free," it was nice.

grimmbomb21
02-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I enjoyed it too. It's nice to see the inferiors get to take home some hardware.( That doesn't have "runner-up" on it.);)

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Yeah, they can take comfort in the fact that the wins of their collective careers are forever marked by Roger not being around! Real champs!! :p

caulcano
02-19-2007, 05:29 AM
i'm loving it

We'll just have to enjoy FED more when he plays ....

ezdude1970
02-19-2007, 05:41 AM
i just hope that the day will come that somebody else will win a tournament with the federer in it. but in the rate it is going, i might have to wait couple of years. so in the mean time i am joining the celebration of federer's free week= or battle of the palukas!!!

ATXtennisaddict
02-19-2007, 06:28 AM
I was enjoying TW until you made this thread.

Mick
02-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I am sure the thought that he won the tournament because Federer was not playing has crossed the winner's mind.

danb
02-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Without Rafa and Roger it was almost BBBOOOORRRRRRIIIIIING!
It was just not there - quality wise. Andy M and Andy R were fun but not as fun as Rafa or Roger. Safin did not have a good week - another minus.
I still have to give it to Andy M, he is a very good player and he does show his emotions, something that suits him well.

Roger is Boring
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
another glorious week of no federer tennis:D
time to celebrate

The Grand Slam
02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Yah. At least Nadal isn't playing at Miami. n__n

It's shameful, though; you guys are enjoying Federer-free weeks because that means when Nadal plays there's nobody who could give him an ABSOLUTE SCHOOLING.

EliteNinja
02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Where can I see Federer for free this week?!!
;)

ta11geese3
02-22-2007, 12:55 AM
It's odd, I click my rss feeds, and no mention of Federer kicking butt. Very odd.

jelle v
02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
Pretty pathetic that someone enjoys a Federer free week. Watching Federer is watching tennis as good as it has never been played before, why would someone not want to watch that, even if you are a Nadal fan.. I think all of us first of all are tennisfans, and then we have a favorite tennisplayer, but hating someone is pretty pathetic in my opinion. I'm a Federer fan because I think that he plays the most beautifull tennis I've seen, but when Nadal is playing I'm very glad too when it is televised, just because it is great to watch men's tennis.

Nadal_Freak
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Pretty pathetic that someone enjoys a Federer free week. Watching Federer is watching tennis as good as it has never been played before, why would someone not want to watch that, even if you are a Nadal fan.. I think all of us first of all are tennisfans, and then we have a favorite tennisplayer, but hating someone is pretty pathetic in my opinion. I'm a Federer fan because I think that he plays the most beautifull tennis I've seen, but when Nadal is playing I'm very glad too when it is televised, just because it is great to watch men's tennis.
Watching Federer is like watching the grass grow. You know the results so why bother. A Feder-less tournament equals excitement knowing everyone has a chance.

caulcano
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Watching Federer is like watching the grass grow. You know the results so why bother. A Feder-less tournament equals excitement knowing everyone has a chance.

So as a Nadal fan (judging by your name), are you bored when you watch Nadal on clay because you know what the result is going to be?

So for you a NADAL-less tournament on clay quals more excitement knowing everyone has a chance?

Nadal_Freak
02-23-2007, 01:44 AM
So as a Nadal fan (judging by your name), are you bored when you watch Nadal on clay because you know what the result is going to be?

So for you a NADAL-less tournament on clay quals more excitement knowing everyone has a chance?

I don't think the matches are decided on clay for Nadal like they are on hard and grass for Federer. Nadal gets challenged and almost lost at Rome. Nadal had a big struggle with Mathieu at the French Open. I definitely don't feel secure with Nadal always winning on clay.

holera
02-23-2007, 03:16 AM
I don't think the matches are decided on clay for Nadal like they are on hard and grass for Federer. Nadal gets challenged and almost lost at Rome. Nadal had a big struggle with Mathieu at the French Open. I definitely don't feel secure with Nadal always winning on clay.

despite the fact that nadal has a longer winning streak on clay than federer does on hard (grass too?). makes a lot of sense.

federer has played many close matches. saved match points vs olivier rochus at halle. and vs roddick in shanghai. played a 7-6 7-6 7-6 match vs ljubicic last year in miami final.

so you wouldn't watch if nadal plays fish on clay? that result isn't really in doubt.
if the result is all that matters, why watch at all? could just look at scores.

result is always in doubt. graf once lost in 1st round of wimbledon.

catspaw
02-23-2007, 03:51 AM

I just cannot understand these comments. It's like watching grass grow? I'm a self-confessed Fedfan. The reason I'm a fan is because of his great tennis - how can all those wonderful shots, clever tactics, great movement be compared to watching your lawn get too long? I just don't get it.

As for its being a foregone conclusion that he'll win, well I just don't buy that. He does lose, not very often, but now and again. If people are so anxious to see him lose, surely they should keep watching - it's going to happen sooner or later. Why turn off the tele and stand a chance of missing it! And, as others have said, surely Nadal is far more of a lock on clay than Federer is on other surfaces. Why is that not like watching grass grow too - even more so, actually, bearing in the mind the monotonous grind that is the typical claycourt match?

catspaw
02-23-2007, 05:56 AM
I agree. Most of the time I enjoy the game whoever is playing. I think too many people are anti-<insertanyname> & bash them for any idiotic reason they can think of.

I agree too. I've just watched the match between Djokovic and Robredo at Rotterdam. It wasn't lights out tennis, but it was very entertaining.:)

Nadal_Freak
02-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree. Most of the time I enjoy the game whoever is playing. I think too many people are anti-<insertanyname> & bash them for any idiotic reason they can think of.
Tennis for me seems to be a sport where every individual is totally different. Some are very interesting to watch (Nadal and Agassi) and some are very boring. (Federer and Sampras) I've tried to watch the Federer and when Sampras played but it put me to sleep. A players personality is important to keep the game exciting as well.

Nick Irons
02-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm not in the mood for Roger to be the best ever but I cannot deny the magic of his game; he hits shots I've never seen before and may not see again.

boreas
02-23-2007, 10:08 AM
About Federer being boring... You know I never realized why I didn't enjoy watching his matches that much. Watching him completely dismantle yet another player isn't exactly riveting. Some matches are good (ie 1st 3 sets of USOpen final '06), some are boring (like every match he had at the AO). You know, it's not his fault, he just decimates most opponents. And for the people who say its artistry or perfection or whatever metaphor you want to use: Watching a robot build a car is watching something perform to perfection, but it doesn't make it FUN TO WATCH.

BeckerFan
02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I would hardly liken Federer to a robot. There is a lovely organic quality to his game ... you're never quite sure what he'll do, and he often changes tactics several times over the course of a match even if he's clearly winning. He seems to enjoy 'going with the flow' and defying expectations, as opposed to guys like Lendl and Sampras who had go-to strategies they employed against virtually anyone. Federer plays almost perfect tennis at times. Perfect because it is both effective AND unpredictable.

My feeling is that if you don't like watching Federer, you don't really like tennis.

boreas
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Federer plays almost perfect tennis at times. Perfect because it is both effective AND unpredictable.

The fact that he plays perfect tennis reinforces the idea that the outcome is decided beforehand. When a player has complete control of the match 98% of the time, against 98% of his opponents, it's just not AS fun to watch. For example, I haven't recently seen any match of his (except maybe on clay) that have had the emotion and/or momentum changes as the Blake Agassi '05 match at the USOpen.

My feeling is that if you don't like watching Federer, you don't really like tennis.

Hmm... well at least we haven't sunk to name calling.

BeckerFan
02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Pardon the expression ... I don't expect everyone to be a Federer 'fan.' Yet I find it odd that people wish Federer weren't around so that we'd see closer matches. For me, a close match doesn't necessarily mean a high-quality match. Often close matches are simply tedious and, IMO, MORE boring than a beat-down where you get to see some beautiful shots. What I appreciate most about Federer is that he forces others to play to the max in order to even have a shot at him. Think about it: most of the 'classic' matches of the past 2-3 years have been Federer's losses! Safin in Australia (2005), Nalbandian at the Masters Cup (2005), Nadal in Rome (2006) ... Plus Federer's straight-set victory over Nadal at the Masters Cup last year was a breathtaking match, even if it wasn't close per se.

I'm much more excited about watching tennis when Federer's involved, b/c it means he's going to force the opponent to throw everything at him. If the two players involved are, say, Davydenko and Robredo, then regardless how close the match is, it's probably not going to be too terribly exciting.

boreas
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I am going to make a completely baseless guess here, but I would be willing to bet money that the televised popularity of tennis has decreased due to the complete lopsidedness of these tournaments. People want to see drama, human-like behavior they can relate to. Yes, you can watch Federer trounce through a draw without dropping a set, exclaiming every 15 minutes of match time, "Wow, that shot was unbelievable! (fill in opponent here) doesn't even have a chance!" Or you could watch a match where you don't know the outcome beforehand, and maybe see something unexpected happen. To each his own.

avmoghe
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm not really enjoying it.

Federer being on a different planet in terms of play literally devalues any tournament without him. He is making these tournaments look like junior tournaments in terms of prestige.

Once Federer's decline starts (and yes, unfortunately it will start in the next year or two), these non-Federer tournaments will seem better.

BeckerFan
02-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Television ratings have declined b/c 'good' tennis does not appeal to the average TV viewer. Most do not give a damn about seeing shotmaking artistry unfold over the course of a match. They look for the same cheap thrills you describe: 'who's gonna win' is all that matters. (Well, personalities and nationalities matter too.) The same satisfaction can be reached by watching a little league baseball game, or even by not watching sports at all and just checking scores online.

To the connoisseur, tennis is about more than who wins and loses. It's why aficionados still talk about McEnroe's 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 win over Connors in the 1984 Wimbledon final as a 'great' and highly memorable match.

gb.tennis.junky
02-23-2007, 03:14 PM
i'm loving it

i'll admit you've got guts to come up with this username and to start such a thread.
i wouldn't want to risk being flammed...

though i don't think such a thread should be started, it's like wanting to pick a fight with other members which isn't why we're here for.

Roger is Boring
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM
vamos willy gave us another federer free week:D

Roger is Boring
05-10-2007, 12:59 PM
feder free rome:D

BlackSheep
05-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm hating it!

FitzRoy
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I think the posters here who claim to hate Federer should admit that the matches they get into the most are Fed's matches; they love to hate him.

LarougeNY
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
What is all this talk of watching fed play for free, where? what site?

Roger is boring is boring
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
feder free rome:D
but nothing is better than a roger is boring free week! :D

Tennis_Monk
05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Federer lost...Big deal... He won all other tournaments and dominated because he is capable of that and the competition couldnt handle him.

I enjoyed his game. He is entertainin. Its not his fault that others couldnt handle him (enough)

FarFed
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
but nothing is better than a roger is boring free week! :D

So "Roger is boring", will you continue the new user trend by creating a user called "Roger is boring is boring is boring"?

Lovely pattern, it's so predictable, I'm enjoying it!:p

gugarafa
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
So "Roger is boring", will you continue the new user trend by creating a user called "Roger is boring is boring is boring"?

lol.
from all these posts it is safe to conclude that all nadal fans enjoy a fed free week due to fear of losing if he is around and not because ''roger is boring" on the other hand some fed fans dont really care for the beauty or grace of his game just as long as "the fed express steamrolls everybody.Both sets display alot of human tendency-especially in sports fans.

The desire to get fulfillment and satisfaction from other peoples achievements.
Its not really about "fed free weeks" is it?

FarFed
05-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Nothing was predictable. Whatever Federer has won he has won based on hard work and the high quality of his game. Every match was a test. I'm amazed at how people are convinced that he magically stormed his way through tournaments and everything was "predictable and boring".

It's quite a pathetic viewpoint.

Baghdatis72
05-11-2007, 02:11 AM
It's nice! I like! Great success! :D

Alafter
05-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Roger is boring is getting off on this. Watch it guys.

Rhino
05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Not a Federer hater here, but . . .

I have to admit: it's nice to see tournaments where you can't predict the winner beforehand.

actually it's now easier to predict the winner than before he lost.
Before it was: Nadal probably, but Federer might just pull it off.
Now it's: Nadal definitely

helloworld
05-11-2007, 03:11 AM
actually it's now easier to predict the winner than before he lost.
Before it was: Nadal probably, but Federer might just pull it off.
Now it's: Nadal definitely
Dude, they were not talking about the tournament in Rome. This is an old thread. Why dig it up ?

vive le beau jeu !
05-11-2007, 05:45 AM

ummm but somebody has to lose at this little game... i guess there's a limit to the number of chars you can use for your nickname, right ? :rolleyes:

Roger is Boring
06-16-2007, 03:05 PM
It looks like robofed pussied out again and skipped halle to go home and curl up and cry with his teddybear:D Nadal was the man this week even tho he was tired he played queens on his worst surface and he played well.
it is good to get back on grass and not have to watch robofed at all this week! dont you agree ?:lol:

Fedace
06-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I really miss wishing for someone to lose all week long

Roger is boring is boring
06-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Nadal was the man this week even tho he was tired he played queens on his worst surface and he played well.
yeah mahut made him eat some grass:D did you enjoy that?:lol:

Mr. Sean
06-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Federer is an awesome player to watch. Even if you dont like the guy you can learn alot from his technique and skills. My favorite players are roddick and hewitt, but i still love to watch fed just to learn from him. I dont learn **** from watching roddick ha except maybe his serve.

Rodditha
06-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Fed is annoying to watch but i love when he mishits,i just keep laughing.It's a great week without him,time for roddick week.:p

ken1d
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Federer and tennis is not two thing but one

TheTruth
06-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I think Federer is a good player. I disagree with those people who say he hits shots that others don't. Throughout a tournament other lesser players are hitting those shots too. Just watch! During the French John was saying what unbelievable shots Rog was hitting and some of them were mishits! Give me a break. As a rule I like grace and fluidity in someone's game. But, I also like power and controlled agression. Tennis would be richer for me though if all of the players challenged Federer, not just Nadal. It's hard to say how good Federer is when the competition consistently lays down. Case in point, there is no reason on this green earth that Davydenko lost that semi. Uber choke job! This is what is ruining tennis. The lack of competition, not necessarily Federer himself.

Swissv2
06-16-2007, 07:08 PM
If you don't like Federer, then dont watch him. End of story. Quit whining and get back to your trying to message Nadal that you want to be his * buddy.

Rodditha
06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
How can we don't watch him when sport channels keeps covering all the time when he plays his boring matches ?

pound cat
06-17-2007, 03:38 AM
A-Rod shocked by Fed absence
Eurosport - Sat, 16 Jun 20:43:00 2007
Andy Roddick was surprised by Roger Federer's decision to pull out of the Wimbledon warm-up tournament in Halle this week.

The Swiss won the event from 2003 to 2006 and every time he went on to capture the top prize at Wimbledon.

However, after losing the French Open final to Rafael Nadal on Sunday, the 10-times grand slam champion chose not to travel to Germany.

"I was as surprised as anybody," Roddick said on Saturday after reaching the Queen's Club final.

"I promise you that if I had done something four times and it had resulted in four Wimbledon titles, I might have done it again.

"But that being said, the one thing we are not privy to is how his body is feeling. He is the only one who knows how he feels."

Roddick, however, did not think Federer's lack of match practice would hurt his title prospects at the grasscourt grand slam, which begins on June 25.

"Roger's a smart guy and I don't feel he would jeopardise his Wimbledon over something minor," said the American, who plays Frenchman Nicolas Mahut in Sunday's Queen's final.

Federer will be bidding to become the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win five successive crowns at the All England Club.

TheTruth
06-17-2007, 10:45 AM
If you don't like Federer, then dont watch him. End of story. Quit whining and get back to your trying to message Nadal that you want to be his * buddy.

Are you talking to me?

TennisandMusic
06-17-2007, 10:54 AM
TheTruth, do you post on espn under the same name?

TheTruth
06-19-2007, 11:27 PM
TheTruth, do you post on espn under the same name?

I haven't posted there in a long time, probably about a year. Currently? No. Used to? Yes.