PDA

View Full Version : Nice Interview with Andy Murray (by Peter Bodo)

Polaris
02-19-2007, 03:37 AM
http://tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=65986

That is a fine interview. Murray comes across as frank, articulate, and interesting. I'm going to be following him a little more closely from now on.

illkhiboy
02-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for posting, it IS a nice interview.

Shabazza
02-19-2007, 05:38 AM
He has the right attitude to improve his game.

TheNatural
02-19-2007, 06:08 AM
i liked the way he played at the AO. A different approach to the standard ball basher.His game looks efficient, like hes just cruising along. I like his changes of pace.

ATXtennisaddict
02-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Good interview, very insightful and interesting.,

omniexist
02-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Interesting player style that Murray..willing to "slow ball" an opponent. Well, he certainly has more talent than Roddick.

But is Murray tough enough for the grind?

What irks me about Roddick is he just needs to be a little bit better and he'd secure no.3 for quite a while.

Looks like it'll be Murray and Roddick jostling for no. 3...

Feņa14
02-19-2007, 12:02 PM
But is Murray tough enough for the grind?

I think he is.

Two years ago he wasn't but now I have every confidence in him going into every single match. I was pretty certain that he would beat Roddick at the weekend and a huge reason for him winning the match was his ability to grind out matches when he wasn't playing all that great.

At the Australian Open he grinded out his match with Verdasco in straight sets, he grinded against Lee, Roddick and to come back from a disappointing first set loss to Karlovic in the final showed some real mental fight.

Every match these days you seem to see a marked improvement in some aspect of his game, something that you don't get when you see Gasquet, who people also rate pretty highly.

alienhamster
02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I think he is.

Two years ago he wasn't but now I have every confidence in him going into every single match. I was pretty certain that he would beat Roddick at the weekend and a huge reason for him winning the match was his ability to grind out matches when he wasn't playing all that great.

At the Australian Open he grinded out his match with Verdasco in straight sets, he grinded against Lee, Roddick and to come back from a disappointing first set loss to Karlovic in the final showed some real mental fight.

Every match these days you seem to see a marked improvement in some aspect of his game, something that you don't get when you see Gasquet, who people also rate pretty highly.
His defense is really outstanding, huh? I get that "wow" feeling I'd sometimes get from Hewitt and Nadal, the "how the heck did he get that shot back in play, and into that part of the court?!?!" But he's got so much more variety than Nadal. He doesn't just play defense until an offensive shot opens up. He'll sometimes dictate the point offensively with placement, height, and spin and then just rip it suddenly. I *love* that game style. I've pretended to play that way in my own tennis for a while now . . .

35ft6
02-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, he gives a better interview than most guys in sports who are in their 30's and 40's. It's not surprising now why he can PLAY tennis -- he seems like a pretty smart guy. I might be becoming a fan now.

Polaris
02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow, he gives a better interview than most guys in sports who are in their 30's and 40's. It's not surprising now why he can PLAY tennis -- he seems like a pretty smart guy. I might be becoming a fan now.
Agreed. I was impressed by the clarity of his answers to questions about what he wanted to work on and what are the areas that he considers most important, and his interpretation of what it means to be a powerful player.

He is from Scotland of course, so it is natural for him to express himself well in English. But it is refreshing to see a 19 year-old player say something nuanced about the game, instead of something like "I like the bigness of my game".

danb
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I think he is.

I agree - nothing more to be said. I hope Andy M delivers soon.

OnceWas
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
thanks for posting.

go_nadal
02-20-2007, 01:00 AM
I rate Murray.... He has such a good looking game just mixing it up then whack... Its very entertaining to watch as well. I like it and i hope he can do well this year.

35ft6
02-20-2007, 01:24 AM
He is from Scotland of course, so it is natural for him to express himself well in English. Yeah, I knew he was from an English speaking country. I was referring to the substance of his answers.

Polaris
02-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah, I knew he was from an English speaking country. I was referring to the substance of his answers.
Oops. No, the comment wasn't directed at you. I was just answering my own question about what was good and relatively unusual about the interview. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

jamumafa
02-20-2007, 03:59 AM
I find it much nicer to read murrays interviews than to listen to him speak. I would have fallen asleep if i heard that interview, but reading it, he seems to be quite a funny guy