PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Anna-Lena Groenefeld?!?!? Take a look at these pics!??

Andy Zarzuela
02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Anna-Lena seemed poised to take on the top 10 in 2005 and part of 2006. I remember she was killing Sharapova 6-1,3-1 and then hurt her knee and had to retire.....

BEFORE

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41704000/jpg/_41704120_groenefeld_ap300.jpg

AFTER

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/dd/fullj.getty-tennis-wta-dubai_open-germany-groenefeld_8_56_40_am.jpg

travlerajm
02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Proof that weight problems are tough to control. If she can't stay slim when gaining 30 lbs means losing out on millions of dollars in earnings, think how tough it is for average Jane.

goober
02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Yikes. She use to be insanely fit. I read an interview from her coach at the time and he was saying fitness was the key to her rise to top 20.

I haven't seen her lately and didn't realize she let herself go so badly.

tennissavy
02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Proof that weight problems are tough to control. If she can't stay slim when gaining 30 lbs means losing out on millions of dollars in earnings, think how tough it is for average Jane.

Yikes, you've got a point though.

drake
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Holy Sereeeeena, so sad !!!!!

Ronaldo
02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Bet most young fitness nuts can eat nearly as much of anything they want. Was in school with swimmers eating 4-5,000 calories/day. But when they stopped or were unable to train, Maradona had nothing on them.

ATXtennisaddict
02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Monica:The camera adds 10 pounds.

Chandler:How many cameras were on you??

Nick Irons
02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Monica:The camera adds 10 pounds.

Chandler:How many cameras were on you??

ROFL ! :p

What about the average Jane's that aren't lazy and don't make excuses?

:confused:

Chadwixx
02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
When you hurt a knee or ankle you cant train hard, thus put on weight.

Nick Irons
02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
If you're eating a pizza everynight

goober
02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
When you hurt a knee or ankle you cant train hard, thus put on weight.
There are other ways to train if you are motivated. Not everybody who has a ankle or knee injury balloons up. Blake was really out for 6 months and he didn't come back looking like a pillsbury doughboy. Not sure what went on in this case so I would give her the benefit of the doubt for a short while. A professional athlete should be able to get into very good shape in a relatively short time since they are basically training all the time.

Mick
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
whoa, what an incredible forehand grip !

psamp14
02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
LOL...of all the weight related posts...Mick marvels at the forehand grip! hilarious ...:)

Mick
02-19-2007, 02:05 PM
LOL...of all the weight related posts...Mick marvels at the forehand grip! hilarious ...:)

haha. I tried gripping the racquet like that out of curiousity. I definitely cannot hit the ball with any power with such a grip.

jelle v
02-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I am surprised that she goes of to play professional tennis in this state.. I mean, coming back from an injury I would be very cautious in order to prevent the knee injury coming back. An overweight body doesn't help to prevent the next knee injury I would think, so I would do my best to be as fit and "on weight" as possible. So the fact that she is playing tennis with that overweight body surprises me very much.

Chadwixx
02-19-2007, 02:16 PM
A professional athlete should be able to get into very good shape in a relatively short time since they are basically training all the time.

As you said their bodies are used to training all the time, once that stops she puts on weight. While she is still training its not what it was.

Comparing a broken neck and blindness to a knee injury isnt a good comparison. Blake couldnt get to the table unlike her :)

armand
02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
She was voted to have best legs in WTA
http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/659/1127709564.jpghttp://www.wtnphotos.com/data/659/2005-8-21-IMG_2140_web.jpg

Now she can be voted to have best ham hocks I guess.

drake
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
She was voted to have best legs in WTA

Forget about the tennis, this is why it's such a tragedy !!!

OrangeOne
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM
If she's been fit once, and she clearly has, the best news is that it's much easier to get back there again in the future.

Just be glad you don't have dozens of cameras on you when you get injured and pack on (quite) a few pounds....

ATXtennisaddict
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Come on ppl, give her a break. She hurt her knee, u really can't do much tennis training wiht a hurt knee...

she definitely looks cute when she's fit

redsoxjad
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
She and Mirka must be workout partners....

onkystomper
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
whoa, what an incredible forehand grip !

.................................................. ..

Bhagi Katbamna
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM
You guys must be young because I think the after pic looks very nice.

Phil
02-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Somehow, I don't think even in top condition, she would have lost out on "millions of dollars in earnings".

FitzRoy
02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Somehow, I don't think even in top condition, she would have lost out on "millions of dollars in earnings".

Over the course of a career, perhaps? It's feasible. Indeed, something similar happened to me. Putting on extra weight cost me tens of dollars over the course of my career. Literally tens of dollars.

Phil
02-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Over the course of a career, perhaps? It's feasible. Indeed, something similar happened to me. Putting on extra weight cost me tens of dollars over the course of my career. Literally tens of dollars.

Yeah, maybe over the course of a career.

I hear you about the weight costing tens of dollars. Years ago (true story, BTW) I found myself carrying about 25 extra pounds (11.3 kg) on my normally warrior-like frame. Injuries, desk work and other factors had taken their toll. On my way home from work on day, I bent down to pet a stray cat. Before I could even reach the furball's level, "RIPPPPPPPPP". I split my pants right down the middle-a TOTAL tear in the seam, from crotch to butt. No one was around to witness my embarassing predicament, and I instinctively yelled "Oh sh*t!", scaring the small creature into a nearby bush. That's a $100 pair of slacks, brudda...so I hear ya there...LITERALLY 10's of dollars.

FitzRoy
02-19-2007, 10:27 PM

I hear you about the weight costing tens of dollars. Years ago (true story, BTW) I found myself carrying about 25 extra pounds (11.3 kg) on my normally warrior-like frame. Injuries, desk work and other factors had taken their toll. On my way home from work on day, I bent down to pet a stray cat. Before I could even reach the furball's level, "RIPPPPPPPPP". I split my pants right down the middle-a TOTAL tear in the seam, from crotch to butt. No one was around to witness my embarassing predicament, and I instinctively yelled "Oh sh*t!", scaring the small creature into a nearby bush. That's a $100 pair of slacks, brudda...so I hear ya there...LITERALLY 10's of dollars.

"Warrior-like frame"? "Other factors" had taken their toll?

Incredible. I'm saving this post.

Phil, I can empathize with you most acutely in regard to the $100 pair of pants. This is because my net worth could be converted into pairs of those very slacks without necessitating double-digits.

In physical/practical terms, on the other hand, I cannot. A "TOTAL tear in the seam, from crotch to butt"? This is beyond my frame of reference; the total seam tear lies in a realm of pants ***-ripping that I have fortunately not strayed into since the youthful era of the atomic wedgie.

Phil
02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
"Warrior-like frame"? "Other factors" had taken their toll?

Incredible. I'm saving this post.

Phil, I can empathize with you most acutely in regard to the $100 pair of pants. This is because my net worth could be converted into pairs of those very slacks without necessitating double-digits.

In physical/practical terms, on the other hand, I cannot. A "TOTAL tear in the seam, from crotch to butt"? This is beyond my frame of reference; the total seam tear lies in a realm of pants ***-ripping that I have fortunately not strayed into since the youthful era of the atomic wedgie.

Yeah, it was bad, I tell ya...I still have occasional nightmares that include the SINKING feeling and the SOUND, of my Brooks Bros. Specials just being SHREDDED, each stitch EXPLODING with the presure of my (then) bulbous ***...this may be a form of post traumatic stress syndrome...I don't know, because I haven't seen anyone about this.

FitzRoy
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, it was bad, I tell ya...I still have occasional nightmares that include the SINKING feeling and the SOUND, of my Brooks Bros. Specials just being SHREDDED, each stitch EXPLODING with the presure of my (then) bulbous ***...this may be a form of post traumatic stress syndrome...I don't know, because I haven't seen anyone about this.

Brooks Brothers? Why didn't you mention that before? It makes the tragedy all the more poignant. As of now the only Brooks Brothers products I can afford to roll with are my glasses (they make excellent frames), but when I become wealthy, you can bet that I'll be wearing Brooks Bros. suits...when I'm not draping myself in velvet.

(That's one George Costanza reference in each of my last two posts, if anyone's keeping track).

But back to Groenefeld. Call me crazy, but...I think she's attractive post-weight gain.

go_nadal
02-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I dont think she looks that great in any of her pics.. .but i guess thats just me... Lol

FitzRoy
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I dont think she looks that great in any of her pics.. .but i guess thats just me... Lol

Actually, I kind of agree with you. I look at pictures of Groenefeld and I'm usually not all that impressed, but when I see her playing a match on TV I think she looks much better. I need to coin a phrase for describing this syndrome, since she isn't the only one who I've thought this about. Temporary phrase: she's a two-face.

bluegrasser
02-20-2007, 04:33 AM

Funny, at least you got into your pants. For me it's getting that top button snapped, it's a wrestling match for sure.

OrangeOne
02-20-2007, 04:37 AM
Funny, at least you got into your pants.

Just. Sounds. Wrong. :o

norcal
02-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I found out the root of her problem - here are her banking transactions:

http://www.slikz.com/fatasskideasyweb.jpg

goober
02-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Didn't realize she moved her training base from Arizona to Edmonton. Maybe that is her problem ;)

ATXtennisaddict
02-20-2007, 09:40 AM

hahaha nice nice nice

rounick
02-20-2007, 09:44 AM
She played doubles with Daniilidou,that's what happened...

norcal
02-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Holy COW! From her match yesterday with Molik in Dubai.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73367178.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=3449EC56B79F1D42E241FF450F388035

Ronaldo
02-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Too much Swiss Chalet and Tim Horton's, eh?

laurie
02-20-2007, 10:47 AM
yeah, I watched her on Eurosport yesterday against Molik. Molik looks wonderful! Groenefeld definitely put on weight! i saw her in Paris last year against Justine Henin. She is very tall. I hope she gets fit.

Ironically, I have clips of her on my website right now against Mauresmo in the 2005 US Open. She looked really lean there.

By the way, her extreme grips remind me of that other German, Anke Huber.

Gundam
02-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Best legs in WTA? I don't know, there is a girl named Daniela H.
BTW, I think she's appeared in one of the instruction articles in Tennis magazine a couple years ago. The photos were taken on red clay. The girl in the pic got good looking legs indeed (If she was really Anna).

I hope she gets back to good shape soon. :sad: