PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Age To Play Adult League

Cindysphinx
02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Simple question: Is there a minimum age to play adult league? I have a mother/daughter interested, but the daughter is under 18.

pagepa
02-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Players must be at least 19, or turn 19 in the calendar year. It's in the National Regulations.

Fedace
02-19-2007, 04:34 PM
minimun is 18 but i don't like playing teenagers, they cheat too much.

Cindysphinx
02-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Darn.

Thanks!

pagepa
02-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Here's the National Reg:

3.01C Age. Each player shall have reached the age of nineteen years prior to or during the calendar year in which such player plays in his/her first local league match.

ryohazuki222
02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
It's nineteen.

You also have to be nineteen to sign up for an adult membership... Eighteen is still a kid membership.

10sfreak
02-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey, believe me, cheating is definitely not confined to teenagers!

peter
02-19-2007, 11:39 PM

Luckily we don't have any age limit here in Sweden for our "adult" leagues (well, actually, there are both "Open" leagues that are open for players of all ages, and closed leagues with age limits (must be over 45, must be over 55, must be under 18, etc).

Anyway - I happen to like playing teenagers. They often aren't that experienced and often are used only to one style of play, so it can be really fun. The worst to play are the
older, very experienced, guys that play your socks off without you understanding how on Earth they did that (typically _without_ hitting the felt off the ball! Now _that's_ cheating!!! :-)

/Age 40 and a flat hardhitter :-)

peter
02-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Anyway, seriously - I think it's advantageous for all involved to have a great age span in the league (in our local league the youngest guy I played (and lost to) was 13 (he cheated! He was practicing tennis 5 days a week!!! :-) - and the oldest was 76 (I won! :-).

The youngsters get to practice against older guys with playing styles they normally never see in their own age group - who knows, they might even pick up a trick or two. And we older guys see speed and spin _we_ normally don't see that much among our own peers.

Raiden.Kaminari
02-22-2007, 04:58 PM

It's not that they cheat, it's that they're taught that winning is everything, even at the cost of their integrity.

I heard someone coach a junior to cheat if they had to win. I told the parent, if they agree with the coach, keep their kid with the coach, but to remember that they will apply it to life. But if they thought the kid should win with their honor intact, to find another coach and fast.

Not surprisingly, they kept with the coach because they thought he would help their kid win. Until their kid got suspended for cheating on a H.S. exam, and screwed up his chances for college.

9000tennis
02-23-2007, 03:14 AM
In Denmark we don't have any regulations. I've been playing senior tennis next to junior tennis since I was 14 (I'm 24 now). I remember my first team debut when I was 15, where I faced a guy who has turned pro now. I lost:D