PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most talented player?

jktennis59
02-19-2007, 06:05 PM
In my opinion the most talented player the most of the times reach the best ranking. There were several players with great talent that simply lost the right way.
Personally I've never seen a player like Marcelo Ríos. His hands, his anticipation. Unfortunately God didn't gave him a regular brain.
Does anybody remember the final against Agassi at The Lipton in Key Biscayne? Later, in 2002 I saw Ríos again versus Agassi inthe SF of the same tournament. He abandon he match in the 3rd set due a knee injury.
He was self destructive and still a genius.

Same case is Marat Safin. The only player that is a real threat to Federer in fast surfaces if he's in good condition (phisically and mentally).

Does anybody remember a swedish player called Andreas Vinciguerra?

The Gorilla
02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
what do you mean by talent?

do you mean the best to watch?
The one with the best reflexes?
The fastest one?
The fittest one?
The most consistant one?
The most powerful one?
The most accurate one?
The one with the biggest serve?
The one with the biggest groundstrokes?

dukemunson
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Rios- "God didnt give him a regular brain"?

Is it that or is it that he has a regular brain and guys like Federer, Agassi, Sampras, etc...just had ridiculous minds on the court? You can say the guy had exponentially more talent then a lot of guys but talent is only part of the equation...it takes a level of commitment that I would imagine few of us on this message board ever had...from double workouts to eating right to traveling 35-45 weeks out of the year (sounds nice but try it for 6, 7, 8 years) to mentally having to compete against the very best in the world. Sick of people ripping Safin for being a "nut case" or an "idiot mentall"...guy needs a beer or two to stay sane while on the road...gets tired of the grind and needs a break...instead of ripping him for being pathetic (like any of us have his mental toughness) why not look at guys like Hewitt and say those guys are freaks...

Rios hit #1 in the world...an epic achievement...

Nick Irons
02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Rios

(LMAOROFLHELO)

vkartikv
02-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Safin. Safin. Safin. Safin....

angharad
02-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Couldn't you say that having the "right brain" (or however you want to phrase it) is a big part of talent? Mental strength is a huge part of the game...I'll go so far as to say that it's what separates "potential" from "talent". And I'll be honest with you - I don't care how much potential someone has if it never materialises.

DiabloTS
02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Rios

(LMAOROFLHELO)

Could you elaborate ur acronym. I got lost after lmaorofl

Nick Irons
02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
LOL

'Helicopter'

Noveson
02-19-2007, 07:15 PM
I think what he means by most talent is, the most physical talent. Quickest reflexes, fastest mover, hand eye coordination, ect...

VGP
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Having pretty strokes is a talent......

.....a better and rarer talent is mental toughness.

Phil
02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Rios- "God didnt give him a regular brain"?

Is it that or is it that he has a regular brain and guys like Federer, Agassi, Sampras, etc...just had ridiculous minds on the court? You can say the guy had exponentially more talent then a lot of guys but talent is only part of the equation...it takes a level of commitment that I would imagine few of us on this message board ever had...from double workouts to eating right to traveling 35-45 weeks out of the year (sounds nice but try it for 6, 7, 8 years) to mentally having to compete against the very best in the world. Sick of people ripping Safin for being a "nut case" or an "idiot mentall"...guy needs a beer or two to stay sane while on the road...gets tired of the grind and needs a break...instead of ripping him for being pathetic (like any of us have his mental toughness) why not look at guys like Hewitt and say those guys are freaks...

Rios hit #1 in the world...an epic achievement...

Great post-as a summary of the almost FREAKISH or monk-like commitment required to win on the tour. Physical "talent" is only part of the equation and maybe not even the biggest part. Fitness/conditioning, commitment and mental toughness are what make a winner. ALL ATP pros have a degree of "talent" that we average hackers can't even imagine.

The reason that Federer is so successful is not because he is "talented"; it's because he is not ONLY a rare talent, but he has found the secret to CONVERTING that talent into 10 Majors (and counting) and an undisputed #1 ranking. That secret is total and uncompromising discipline, commitment to being The Best, and the mental toughness to go along with it.

So-called talented players-those guys who seem to be able to make shots or strike the ball at a level even above fellow ATP pros-come and go. Rios will be barely a footnote a couple years from now-except to crazy tennis fans like us. Another wasted "talent".

127mph
02-19-2007, 07:40 PM
federer, safin, rios, gasquet, berdych nastase had buetiful strokes, theres other talents like agassi, and sampras who had ballstriking like no other.

BeckerFan
02-19-2007, 07:59 PM
In my opinion, Rios is the most overrated player of modern times on the basis of pure 'talent.' Any player can hit an amazing shot, play an amazing game, even win an amazing set. Rios may have had a lot of potential, but he didn't have the gift to be able to piece it all together on a consistent basis. Safin is far, far better, in my judgment; though he is notoriously 'up and down,' he has produced many great matches and impressive runs at important tournaments. Two Grand Slam titles to zero. No contest.

Federer is without doubt the most talented player I have seen in my lifetime. His one-handed backhand lifts him even above Safin in my mind, giving him greater reach and variety of shot off that wing. Federer has the forehand, the backhand, the serve, the volleys, the movement, and the mental toughness--the whole package. Sampras and Agassi were both phenomenal talents, with very different stand-out skills. Becker, McEnroe, and Borg, too.

Based on clips and what their contemporaries said/wrote, I have to include Ellsworth Vines and Lew Hoad at the very highest rank. Players and writers felt that these two, playing at their highest level, were unbeatable. Vines fired 30 aces in only 12 service games against Bunny Austin in the 1932 Wimbledon final, and he supposedly AVERAGED 2.5 aces per game in his 1939 tour against Don Budge. He had the finest natural swinging rhythm I have seen, even to this day. Hoad played with incredible power on every shot--even his volleys looked like cannonballs. If I could travel in time to sit court-side and see any two players at the height of their games, I would choose these two (and perhaps Fred Perry).

bluetrain4
02-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I think a lot of times "talent" is associated with flashiness and shotmaking ability. Thus, you here alot about players who never won Slams, but "could hit all the shots" and "are probably one of the most talented players." Rios, Henri Leconte, Tommy Haas, to name a few.

But, I don't buy this. The truely most talented have all the shots and can put it together to get significant victories/titles. Does the fact that Leconte could hit ridicolous winners make him more talented than Lendl who was less flashy but won 8 slams?

The "talent" question really becomes livelyy when you talk about players who did win multiple Slams, but were not that flashy. Someone like Courier, for example, who was a workhorse. I've heard commentators say that Rios is more talented than Courier. That holds up only if "talent" is only flashiness and shotmaking.

vive le beau jeu !
02-20-2007, 01:11 AM
he was injured during some time... but he is still playing !
http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=0&year=2006&query=Singles&selTournament=0&player=V250&x=19&y=8
unfortunately for him he couldn't come back at the same level...

but i don't think he was that talented compared to most of the other players mentionned in this thread. i'm not sure to remember perfectly but didn't he lack of variation in his game ?...

spadesss
02-20-2007, 06:23 AM
In my opinion the most talented player the most of the times reach the best ranking. There were several players with great talent that simply lost the right way.
Personally I've never seen a player like Marcelo Ríos. His hands, his anticipation. Unfortunately God didn't gave him a regular brain.
Does anybody remember the final against Agassi at The Lipton in Key Biscayne? Later, in 2002 I saw Ríos again versus Agassi inthe SF of the same tournament. He abandon he match in the 3rd set due a knee injury.
He was self destructive and still a genius.

Same case is Marat Safin. The only player that is a real threat to Federer in fast surfaces if he's in good condition (phisically and mentally).

i rememberred the final against Agassi at The Lipton in Key Biscayne. i was shell shocked at the score. that was the match that turned my head.

i agreed that rios and safin are two of the greatest natural gifted players that didn't produce good results.

korda was another one (minus the doping ban). winning the AO.
wayne ferria (typo?) from south africa. i think pete said he was scare to play in in wimbledon as he can whip winners from anywhere in the back court.

ATXtennisaddict
02-20-2007, 06:29 AM
federer is the most talented player. He can do everything and does it well and with ease.

jktennis59
02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
what do you mean by talent?

do you mean the best to watch?
The one with the best reflexes?
The fastest one?
The fittest one?
The most consistant one?
The most powerful one?
The most accurate one?
The one with the biggest serve?
The one with the biggest groundstrokes?

Because english is not my mother language probably I didn't express my point correctly.
I mean "talented player" the one who seems to play effortless (like Federer), the player that has that physical "plus" that makes the game so easy. Obviously this is purely subjective. In my opinion, Ríos was that kind of player that had that physical talent but didn't have the mental strenght, or discipline, or wathever, to be in the top 20 more time.

NamRanger
02-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Federer wins this contest by a long shot.

JLyon
02-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Hicham Arazi and Marcelo Rios by a long shot. They had so much talent but so little heart and drive

Nastase
02-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Nastase.

Many former pros have said he was the most talented of all time....one added, however, "he just forgot to practice".

fastdunn
02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
McEnroe.

When you see some talented players, you always compare them to
McEnroe. Federer has McEnroe like hand. Arazi also had that type of hand.
Rios always somehow appeared to make perfect timing in all of his strokes...

jktennis59
02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Hicham Arazi and Marcelo Rios by a long shot. They had so much talent but so little heart and drive

You're right, I forgot Hicham Arazi. What a player. He was very fluid in his tennis.

BeckerFan
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I would argue that McEnroe's talent has been overrated, to an extent. He was certainly a natural ... had great touch/feel, especially at the net. As a personality, he appealed to our cultural predisposition toward 'tortured genius' types. But he lacked the raw power, so I think he never quite had the potential of Becker, Agassi, Sampras or Federer. Pancho Gonzales rated McEnroe's talent below that of Lew Hoad, on the basis of power, but he considered Sampras to be Hoad's equal.

jktennis59
02-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I would argue that McEnroe's talent has been overrated, to an extent. He was certainly a natural ... had great touch/feel, especially at the net. As a personality, he appealed to our cultural predisposition toward 'tortured genius' types. But he lacked the raw power, so I think he never quite had the potential of Becker, Agassi, Sampras or Federer. Pancho Gonzales rated McEnroe's talent below that of Lew Hoad, on the basis of power, but he considered Sampras to be Hoad's equal.

McEnroe without his personality would be just a "very good" player. Not a genius. In my opinion, Becker was pure power and heart. Without that Sampras touch in the volley, but still one of my favorite players.

Moose Malloy
02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
McEnroe without his personality would be just a "very good" player. Not a genius.

If being "very good" means being a 4 time US Open champion, 3 time Wimbledon champion, year end #1 four times, & holder of the best single season winning % of the open era-.965 in 1984, I'd like to know what being "great" is.

And Mac got called a genius as many, if not more times, than Federer has during his 15 year career by many players, commentators, writers, some of which have been following the game for 40-50 years. Guess they didn't know what they were talking about, & were just fooled by his tantrums into thinking he was more unique than they thought.

Its a shame that the ATP or even USTA don't sanction some wood racquet only events. I think many would have to change their definition of what "talent" means. I'd love to see the Mac of today vs any player on tour with a wood racquet.

Nick Irons
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Could not agree any more with this assessment.

If being "very good" means being a 4 time US Open champion, 3 time Wimbledon champion, year end #1 four times, & holder of the best single season winning % of the open era-.965 in 1984, I'd like to know what being "great" is.

And Mac got called a genius as many, if not more times, than Federer has during his 15 year career by many players, commentators, writers, some of which have been following the game for 40-50 years. Guess they didn't know what they were talking about, & were just fooled by his tantrums into thinking he was more unique than they thought.

Its a shame that the ATP or even USTA don't sanction some wood racquet only events. I think many would have to change their definition of what "talent" means. I'd love to see the Mac of today vs any player on tour with a wood racquet.

Really really could not agree any more with this statement !

tricky
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
McEnroe's greatest talent was his ability to anticipate his opponent. That feeds into his incredible touch and feel, but also his footwork when he didn't have the foot speed of Borg or Becker.

Basically you give a guy McEnroe's skill set, reconstruct his strokes for modern game, and put him in modern conditioning, he would look a lot like Federer. Weaker forehand, but better net game, and same, uncanny court sense and point construction.

Athletically, to me, it's a tossup between Becker and Sampras. Safin has more power and wider span, but he didn't move like those two. And perhaps his height prevented him from varying from his aggro ballstriker game.

BeckerFan
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh, I would never argue that McEnroe was not a GREAT player. Any three-time winner of the most important tournament in the world deserves 'legend' status, in my book. I was only addressing the matter of talent/potential, where I do feel McEnroe is sometimes overrated, partly on the basis of his personality.

Moose Malloy
02-21-2007, 01:06 PM
but also his footwork when he didn't have the foot speed of Borg or Becker.

whoah, was that a typo? love becker, but he was a clumsy oaf as far as footwork goes compared to mac, who glided around the court & could hit great on the run(very similar to murray, he was always in the right spot at the right time)
I have many Lendl-Mac matches on tape, everytime they break down strengths & weaknesses, they give the edge, a big edge, to Mac in the speed department.

Off course he's not Borg, but who is? He's probably the fastest tennis player ever, not a fair comparison.

I was only addressing the matter of talent/potential, where I do feel McEnroe is sometimes overrated, partly on the basis of his personality.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I doubt Laver, Budge, & many other alltimers that were overflowing with praise for Mac really gave a whit about his "personality" when talking about his abilities.

tricky
02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
love becker, but he was a clumsy oaf as far as footwork goes compared to mac, who glided around the court & could hit great on the run(very similar to murray, he was always in the right spot at the right time)

Hmm, yeah, big brain cramp there. :D His court sense is uncanny -- he could play with much of the top-100 tour at his age now because of that.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I doubt Laver, Budge, & many other alltimers that were overflowing with praise for Mac really gave a whit about his "personality" when talking about his abilities.

Mmm . . . but I think in media perception, his personality did enhance that tortured aspect. Kinda like how Safin's meltdowns enhances his. I kinda thnk if Sampras had those, he'd been more popular as a tennis personality, because it would have better contrasted his spectacular athleticism.

Nick Irons
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Mmm . . . but I think in media perception, his personality did enhance that tortured aspect. Kinda like how Safin's meltdowns enhances his. I kinda thnk if Sampras had those, he'd been more popular as a tennis personality, because it would have better contrasted his spectacular athleticism.

When I was younger I really enjoyed a player like Mac or Connors going into meltdown but now, as a 37 year old ...

It makes me not like them as much for the lack of class. Even Roddick does it, and all I think about is 'What a spoiled lil chiild' this kid is. What other sport can you berate the Ref/Umpire in like you can in tennis ?

I have no problems with questioning calls; but screaming obscenities or verbally assualting someone is classless.

Sorry about threadjack; back OT

Vlad
02-21-2007, 01:42 PM
In today's game, just based on shotmaking:

1. Federer

2. Gasquet

3. Safin.

4. Others

Lambsscroll
02-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Fed is the most talented player. Wheres his weakness? On top of his physical talents he seems very bright. The dudes blessed, just face it. :)

ibemadskillzz
02-21-2007, 02:21 PM
ROFLWAFLFFLECOPTERLAMOROFL hyung taik lee IMO

StunLock
02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
federer by a long shot

BeckerFan
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey, I admit that McEnroe was a phenomenal talent. I read a piece by Arthur Ashe on McEnroe that was filled with well-founded praise. But we are all influenced by personality when making judgments ... even the 'greats' aren't immune. Our attraction to dark, tortured, tempestuous genius goes back at least as far as the Renaissance. Vasari portrayed Raphael as something of a fop, while the stormy Michelangelo was literally an ambassador from heaven. We expect artists to fit the Michelangelic mold. McEnroe certainly did, and for that reason I feel that people have always been inclined to overstate his talents. Laver, I believe, later said that Sampras was even more talented than McEnroe. Sampras was rarely described as an 'artist,' however, or even a 'genius' ... at least not with the same frequency as these words were applied to McEnroe. How much are you willing to bet that personality has NOTHING to do with it?

jktennis59
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM

I mean "genius" those players that seems to be "out of this world". Those players that have that natural instinct and abilities that make a difference between them and the other players. NOT necessarily a genius is a winner.

For example, I consider Marcelo Ríos a genius, but his behavior attempted against his career. Other genius? Ilie Nastase, a crazy guy touched by tennis gods. I don't consider Lendl a genius because his game was mechanic, like a robot. A tennis machine. Great numbers, but still not a genius. Same case with Borg.

Regarding McEnroe, his numbers could be similar to these players but his "plus" was his personality. He intimidated his opponents by his behavior and attitude. He had a great volley and anticipation 20 years ago, when the game was fairly slower. In my opinion, with that style of game, in this era McEnroe would be a top 20. No more.

jktennis59
02-23-2007, 08:58 PM
That's what I call a GENIUS.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Keh6tw2XCYI&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bKetKv4vPY0&mode=related&search=

Superb tennis.

Marius_Hancu
02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Nastase JMac Federer

Mick
02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
John McEnroe because he has won :

- grand slam singles titles
- grand slam doubles titles
- grand slam mixed doubles title

Ronny
02-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Fabrice "da magician" Santoro

jktennis59
02-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Fabrice "da magician" Santoro

Santoro is other of the most talented players that I've seen. Singles or doubles he is fantastic.
I had the priviledge of watching him, in site (Key Biscayne), playing singles and doubles and that was a great experience.
I hope he'll be back this year.
I'm glad that somebody undertood my point about what I call a genius in tennis.

Best regards.

G4t0
02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree Santoro plays a different tennis, he invented all kind of new strokes. Enjoy this one versus Roger, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAhmNccRV4c "la de cadete" haha :D.

pcpshortbus
02-24-2007, 06:33 PM
safin by far

tenis
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
What a question, did you ever see play Roger???

tennishead93
02-25-2007, 11:48 AM
If Safin could control his temper whenever he wanted to he would be the best singles player to ever play tennis w/ 20+ grandslams when he hangs up his racket.

tintin
02-25-2007, 01:05 PM
If Safin could control his temper whenever he wanted to he would be the best singles player to ever play tennis w/ 20+ grandslams when he hangs up his racket.

yes maybe but only on 3 surfaces: RA/Clay/Hard
have you seen the man play on grass?;) ;) ;)

BeckerFan
02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Safin seems to be warming up to grass, ever so slowly.

He could very well become more of a threat at Wimbledon later in his career.

tennishead93
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM
he better get better on grass soon hes pretty much midway through his career already

noeledmonds
02-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I am surprised Agassi has not really got a mention. Agassi was renound for mental weakness and towards that start of his career did not take fitness remotely serious. However unlike these other talented players he still won 8 slams. Imagine what he could have won if he had been mentally stronger!

Agassi would defentily be top 5 on my tallent list, possibly as high as 3. I think that McEnroe and Federer are the most tallented players. Rios and Safin are top 10 material, but not top 5 material.

BeckerFan
02-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Agassi IMO was more talented than McEnroe.

s_andrean
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't think he would be classed as the most talented player ever, but i think Mansoir Bahrami deserves a mention here. He is only an exibition player now, but read up on him, he could have been a great IMO.

jktennis59
02-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think he would be classed as the most talented player ever, but i think Mansoir Bahrami deserves a mention here. He is only an exibition player now, but read up on him, he could have been a great IMO.

I remember Bahrami playing here in Venezuela in the 70's (hey I'm not that old...) and later playing veterans tournaments and exhibitions.
He has a very special player, a magician. I remember him serving with almost ten balls in his hand.

Great talent, but not in the "genius" category.

jktennis59
02-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I am surprised Agassi has not really got a mention. Agassi was renound for mental weakness and towards that start of his career did not take fitness remotely serious. However unlike these other talented players he still won 8 slams. Imagine what he could have won if he had been mentally stronger!

Agassi would defentily be top 5 on my tallent list, possibly as high as 3. I think that McEnroe and Federer are the most tallented players. Rios and Safin are top 10 material, but not top 5 material.

Indeed, Agassi was a great talented player. But his success, in the later 90's, was based on a very hard training and the guidance of Brad Gilbert. He said several times that Gil Reyes, his physical trainer, was a great contributor in his comeback in his career.
He was a rea talented player, great hand-eyes coordination, but in my opinion, not a genius.
Geniuses are special guys, unorthodox players and not always winners.

ericsson
02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
i fully agree that Agassi was a pure talent and a great player but can someone please explain to me why the hell he couldnt volley??? i know guys at my club that volley better...

larlarbd
02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Sampras/SAFIN.

FedFan_2007
02-25-2007, 11:46 PM
This is easy. Federer is the most gifted player I've ever seen.

35ft6
02-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Federer might be the best combination of mental, athletic, intuitive, and hand-eye talent.

Bjorn99
02-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Talent, Federer, not open for debate. C'mon. Watch him live, he has more talent than even Sampras did, and Sampras had more talent than anyone else. Agassi, PLEASE? Talent involves running AND hitting. Agassi could stumble fast, but run? No.

How could we even open this thread and take it seriously? Federer is a mental and physical freak! Enjoy, nothing going to come up like him for another fifty years or so. Till Tilden regenerates into another cycle.

noeledmonds
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Talent, Federer, not open for debate. C'mon. Watch him live, he has more talent than even Sampras did, and Sampras had more talent than anyone else. Agassi, PLEASE? Talent involves running AND hitting. Agassi could stumble fast, but run? No.

How could we even open this thread and take it seriously? Federer is a mental and physical freak! Enjoy, nothing going to come up like him for another fifty years or so. Till Tilden regenerates into another cycle.

Talent is not about running. Fitness and Stamina are not what people assosiate with talent. If they were then Borg would certainly get a mention. As for hitting, what makes you think Agassi can't hit. Agassi had incredible hand to eye coordination, and many argue he is the greatest ball striker of all time. Have you seen some of the shots Agassi used to hit? I stuck this one on youtube a while ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBqWpQXGBvw

35ft6
02-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Talent is not about running. It's one aspect of physical talent.

fastdunn
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Atheletic dimensions: Sampras
Hand : McEnroe (this guy still amazes me in the way he plays in senior tour !!!)

Overall including Atheticism/Hand/Other intangibles(Court Vsion, game intell. etc..):

Federer

Yep, Federer is the most talented overally in all departments although
he is not the best in each department I've ever seen....

P.S. Safin would be a one of best athletic/physical talent in this era.