PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert claims Murray's net game is top 3 in world

christos_liaskos
02-21-2007, 05:56 AM
During San Jose the commentators said that Gilbert claimed Murray's net game was in the top 3 in the world. That seems like a big claim to me. As I thought about who the other two were the first name to come to mind was Federer, and, being English I then thought of Henman. I'm sure there must be other players out there better than Murray and possibly Federer and Henman.

If there was a new rule saying you must S&V and chip n charge I dont think Murray would be in the top 3, or is this too extreme an example?

Either way, what are your thoughts on this. Lets try and keep it to just Murray's net game, there are plenty of other threads around praising his game as a whole.

Vlad
02-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, it's coming from Gilbert afterall... did he also mention that Murray has second best forehand and serve on ATP? lol

I think he is in top 10-15 in terms of volleys on tour.

BiGGieStuFF
02-21-2007, 06:42 AM
considering how many other guys actually come to net I don't think it's that much of an exaggeration when compared to active players on tour. Murray does look to finish the point off at net when he can and he's pretty good. Top 3 isn't too far fetched. I'd say probably more like top 5 in singles. There are some doubles players who play singles who have better volleys. Bjorkman and Santoro come to mind.

chrisfromalbany
02-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Ancic, Stepanek, Fish, Rochus, Melzer,

The Beast, Dent (if he ever plays again)

fastdunn
02-21-2007, 08:16 AM
During San Jose the commentators said that Gilbert claimed Murray's net game was in the top 3 in the world. That seems like a big claim to me. As I thought about who the other two were the first name to come to mind was Federer, and, being English I then thought of Henman. I'm sure there must be other players out there better than Murray and possibly Federer and Henman.

If there was a new rule saying you must S&V and chip n charge I dont think Murray would be in the top 3, or is this too extreme an example?

Either way, what are your thoughts on this. Lets try and keep it to just Murray's net game, there are plenty of other threads around praising his game as a whole.

It's sad but might be close to true.
The fact that we have to consider a baseliner's net game as #1 in
the world...

justineheninhoogenbandfan
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry that is nonsense. There are definitely more guys other then only Federer and Henman better then Murray at the net. I doubt he is even top 20.

alwaysatnet
02-21-2007, 09:41 AM
We have to take into account who is making the claim. I've never actually seen Andy Murray hit a volley so I can't comment but I don't see how you can have an excellent net game or volley when you never,or very seldom, use it.

madmanfool
02-21-2007, 10:07 AM
he's good alright, did you see that backhand smash against Nadal at the AO open?

jamumafa
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Um, most of the doubles players I would think.

Bryans, miryni (I *always butcher his name*) Prolly even Mcenroe

OrangeOne
02-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Scenario...

- Your coach wants you to come in to the net even more.
- Your coach tells the world you're good at it.
- You open the paper and read this from your coach, and maybe a leading journo chimes in as well!

Suddenly your confidence at net rises 10%, and you haven't hit a volley in the process. Good job Gilbert!

fastdunn
02-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I would take Brad's comment literally. But I think he has some points as
always.

TheNatural
02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Hewitt is another excellent volleyer, but he doesnt have a big enough game to get him self to the net much.

justineheninhoogenbandfan
02-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I would take Brad's comment literally. But I think he has some points as
always.

How does he have a point? Do you really believe Murray is the 3rd best volleyer today after Federer and Henman and there is nobody else better? I could name atleast a dozen other guys better then him at the net then just Federer and Henman.

BeckerFan
02-21-2007, 01:10 PM
We simply need to see more of Murray's net game before we can make this kind of assessment. He certainly has great potential. His serve is improving, and I wouldn't be surprised if he works on his volleys a lot to give himself some good looks at a Wimbledon title one day.

morten
02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
This proves how volleying is almost gone today, what a shame.

Feņa14
02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
We have to take into account who is making the claim. I've never actually seen Andy Murray hit a volley so I can't comment but I don't see how you can have an excellent net game or volley when you never,or very seldom, use it.

He used it alot in his match with Nadal and with fantastic success. He has great touch and feel at the net, I think it's difficult to class net games though as not one player these days seems to do it enough for you to get a real idea of what they can do. You see players make some fantastic volleys but they also make some awful volleys.

Marius_Hancu
02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I saw his brother playing and he's a good doubles player.

I still have to see Murray more at the net to have an opinion on his net game.

The guy definitely has touch.

NamRanger
02-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Top 10 for sure, top 3 no.

Taylor Dent has much better volleys if he ever played again. Haas has some good volleys, so does Ancic. Max The Beast is also another player with good volleys.

TGV
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
If it is just touch/drop volleys, he is among the best. As Fena said, he used them several times against Nadal. As for deep, angled volleys, haven't seen him do those enough. With his all-court skills, there is no reason he can't be good at volleying.

The Gorilla
02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
he's not a good volleyer, he's a bit like haas in that respect, neither of them are good volleyers but they are such excellent baseliners that when they do transition to the net the opponent is so far off court all they have to do is bunt the ball into space.

shrakkie
02-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't say top three. Most of the doubles players are better than him at vollying I would say. Top 20 in singles,perhaps.

hoosierbr
02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
BG's got Murray's net skills confused with the other guy from the UK: Tim Henman.

But Andy will get better, no doubt.

The tennis guy
02-21-2007, 07:30 PM
During San Jose the commentators said that Gilbert claimed Murray's net game was in the top 3 in the world.

This is similar to his claim Federer was over rated when he was still Roddick's coach. He changed his tune completely regarding Federer after the split with Roddick.

Gilbert has good eye for talent, but he is not objective when he talks about his client.

ShcMad
02-21-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't know about Top 3, but I'd say Top 10,

Mick
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
it's hard to say because Murray does not come to the net much and when he does come to the net, normally it would be right after he has hit a penetrating shot so it is not that tough to volley those balls.