View Full Version : what is early teen?

baydad
02-21-2007, 08:30 PM
For the last week, I kept reading Sam Querrey didn't focus on
tennis until early teen.

What exactly is early teen? 11,12?

SoBad
02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
thir-TEEN through four-TEEN (twelve is not a TEEN, and fifteen is a mid-TEEN)

Borat
02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
wow.... thats pretty late.

DiabloTS
02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
hahaha eleven-teen and twelve-teen

baydad
02-21-2007, 08:49 PM
He is only 19 right now and he turned pro at 18.

So he only played a few years before turning pro?

Fee
02-21-2007, 09:03 PM
No, he'd been playing tennis since he was about nine (I think). He didn't stop playing other sports and focus solely on tennis until he was about 13. I believe he played basketball one last time during his freshman year of high school, but it was all tennis after that.

drakulie
02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
hahaha eleven-teen and twelve-teen

muahahahaha! ten-TEEN. LOL

goober
02-21-2007, 09:52 PM
No, he'd been playing tennis since he was about nine (I think). He didn't stop playing other sports and focus solely on tennis until he was about 13. I believe he played basketball one last time during his freshman year of high school, but it was all tennis after that.

His ATP Bio said he started playing tennis at 4.

What is difference about Querrey is that he attended regular school full time and played tennis afterwards. I remember an interview with Roddick who basically was said he was surprised that Sam became good because he was an afterschool player as opposed to a academy or full time player like Donald Young.

Fee
02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I think it's time for me to admit my memory isn't what it used to be... Thanks for the information, I'm not sure why the age of nine is stuck in my head. Here's a good article about Sam from ESPN. Gives more background about his no pressure upbringing (which some parents might want to take a careful look at). I am very fond of Sam, every time I've ever seen him or spoken to him he gives off such a casual, positive vibe. I know that sounds kind of cheesy, but I just have no other way to desribe it. I wish him nothing but the absolute best, whatever happens. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2767828

This article says he started playing at 7. That's where I think I got the nine years old from (I'm not entirely senile yet).

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/other_sports/article/0,1426,MCA_1757_5364378,00.html

baydad
02-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/other_sports/article/0,1426,MCA_1757_5364378,00.html

tells quite clear.

He actually started tennis lessons at 7. That is not late.

goober
02-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Not that it really matters but it is interesting how different official websites have differing information.

His ATP and ITF bios both have him starting tennis at age 4. Since he had to provide them the information, you would think it would be accurate. His USTA junior spotlight has him starting at age 5 with the same story given in the article.

http://www.backcourt.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=182277&iType=8361

tuk
02-22-2007, 06:25 AM
For the last week, I kept reading Sam Querrey didn't focus on
tennis until early teen.

What exactly is early teen? 11,12?

WOW :confused: sorry, it has been said already but, I can't help it.....teenager (teen-ager)= teen = person between the ages of thirTEEN and nineTEEN, so early teen = thirteen or fourteen....
So what you read means that Sam FOCUSED on tennis at thirteen or fourteen, meaning that he dedicated more time to tennis at about that age not that he learned or started to play tennis at that age...I think it has been establish that no high ranked pro has STARTED playing tennis that late....

baydad
02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
>>it has been establish that no high ranked pro has STARTED playing tennis that late....

I didn't know this, though I know it would be very very hard. That was why I don't believe early teen = 13,14 in Sam's case.:p

Condoleezza
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
thir-TEEN through four-TEEN (twelve is not a TEEN, and fifteen is a mid-TEEN)

:D :D :D

Condi

The Gorilla
02-22-2007, 07:45 PM
>>it has been establish that no high ranked pro has STARTED playing tennis that late....

I didn't know this, though I know it would be very very hard. That was why I don't believe early teen = 13,14 in Sam's case.:p

Fred Perry took up tennis at the age of 18.

tuk
02-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Fred Perry took up tennis at the age of 18.

Yes, he did...but he also played in the 1930's, he was a table tennis world champion before taking up tennis and was consider to be a physical freak...the early years he played as an amateur then he turned pro and basically played over and over against the two others top players at the time (Vines, Budge)....Budge eventually overtook him mainly because of some technical issues, like his lack of a backhand...so I don't consider him as a good example of a professional, MODERN (not even open era), elite, top,tennis player that has started playing at relatively late age...
Anyways, I'm sure Perry was great, but I doubt he would be able to do it nowadays...no, I'm sure he wouldn't...
Ok, just wanted to clear that out...Peace

baydad
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Agree with tuk.
It is a different time.

Aslo, table tennis is in some way similar to tennis. They spin more.
So table tennis players have an easy time to understand tennis.

baydad
02-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I notice many great tennis players also play table tennis.