PDA

View Full Version : So tired of the same boring questions

armand
02-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Why don't they come up with new questions when interviewing players? I'm so bored of the same questions and same responses.

What's more, there's a world of knowledge that could be asked but it's largely untapped.

Pete Sampras offers a glimpse of "new technology strings" and that little phrase generates a ton of discussion.

Yes to the casual tennis fan this type of discussion may be over their heads but I know they're tired of the same boring talk too. And they'll learn, god forbid they hear something they don't understand and be frightened away. The whole of tennis coverage is sorta like being stuck at the greeter at the front of the store: you'll never really get in, you're sorta just looking inside.
And what about us? The dedicated tennis fan. Why are we ignored and disrespected when for years we've been watching those adverts and paying their bills?

I'm so tired of our short term way of thinking world. Not just in tennis tv, but in many other things as well.

Warriorroger
02-22-2007, 04:27 AM
For example: Federer do you have smelly feet, I wonder how Roger reacts.

jamumafa
02-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Yeah I havent heard many pros questioned about the reackets or tech from some sort of rackets guru.

All we hear is "how do you think you played?"

"Are you happy you completed the Golden grand slam without losing one point the whole year, taking under one hour for all of your matches including 3 set GS matches?"

"Do you like Paris?"

"Even think of being an Astronaut" (Have to admit that one was one of my faves)

pound cat
02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
1) most interviewers don't know much about tennis, and interviewing a player is just an assignment.

2) interviewers know nothing about the technical aspects of tennis

3) fans such as the ones on this board know a heck of a lot more about the players, the tournaments, and the equipment than 95% of the interviewers.

4)They have to ask questions that will be interesting to the readers of the interview, who for the most part don't know much about tennis either.

pound cat
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Marat Safin to an interviewer in a press confrernce:

"Why do you keep asking me the same questions over and over again?"

lajollatnsplyr
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I have been in a press room during these questions. You should see these guys. Not many look like they have even picked up a racket. they know nothing about tennis. And the look on the players faces says it all.

I didn't realize that Sampras comment got a lot of buzz, I remember when he said it too, I thought nothing of it. I've been using Luxilon for nearly 4 years.

Sidenote, I liked the Sampras interview much more then "I always give politically correct answers" Agassi interview the day prior...although I love Agassi I wish all his answers didnt seem to pre-thought out.

ne1410is
02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
yeah i want something punchy. altho roddick's AO exit interview was pretty punchy. i think they just don't publish that stuff as much. i liked that commercial they used to have for some stock investment firm or something like that. it had all these kids screaming "anna anna anna!" and anna is signing autographs like crazy and mary joe fernandez walks by behind her and nobody asks her for an autograph and mary joe is saying something like, "yeah i don't know why but anna and i just aren't the best of friends".

shrakkie
02-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Yes Roddick seems to give good interviews.

Hmm I do feel that a lot of the questions are repititive, but then again I do still watch/read the conferences.

jmsx521
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
It's the typical mainstream media that we all listen to everyday. FoxNews is definitely on the top of the garbage pile; I am glad they donít cover tennis events.

ne1410is
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
at least Mary Carillo is willing to make sh*t up. I think Serena and Venus were/are pretty mad at her for doing that. They alluded to her but didn't say her name but i thought it was obvious who they were talking about.

armand
02-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I have been in a press room during these questions. You should see these guys. Not many look like they have even picked up a racket. they know nothing about tennis. And the look on the players faces says it all.

I didn't realize that Sampras comment got a lot of buzz, I remember when he said it too, I thought nothing of it. I've been using Luxilon for nearly 4 years.

Sidenote, I liked the Sampras interview much more then "I always give politically correct answers" Agassi interview the day prior...although I love Agassi I wish all his answers didnt seem to pre-thought out.If I were in that room, I woulda stepped up! They should allow more fan questions and not filter them by Mr. TV Producer who doesn't know d*** about anything besides an RF switcher.

ne1410is: what exactly are you referring to?

lajollatnsplyr
02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
If I were in that room, I woulda stepped up! They should allow more fan questions and not filter them by Mr. TV Producer who doesn't know d*** about anything besides an RF switcher.

ne1410is: what exactly are you referring to?

I didnt want to get kicked out! :)
I agree 100%, the questions are old and repitative. I don't believe they are filtered but the reporters just dont know about tennis, the game its self. They don't know how to ask about strategy or other aspects of the game...all they know is "how do you feel about your win today?"

sureshs
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Make a list of questions you would ask and we can discuss them.

Note that provocative questions are not necessarily feasible because the reporters need access to the players, who can easily decline interviews or grant them to a competing magazine or paper. Thus, cornering Sharapova about shrieking or Henin about her personal life may sound great, but will not work in reality.

I also think a lot of the press is controlled by powerful interests like tournament sponsors, IMG, Nike etc. If a reporter persists in asking embarrassing questions, they will find a way to shut him/her up.

Frodo Baggins
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I would Ask>Davide Would you go out with me plzz;) or>Can I Have a kiss...TeeHee.:D ;)

uxnaitoahz
02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
at least Mary Carillo is willing to make sh*t up. I think Serena and Venus were/are pretty mad at her for doing that. They alluded to her but didn't say her name but i thought it was obvious who they were talking about.

what did she say?