PDA

View Full Version : Your First Tournament Match

Scrambler
02-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey everyone, every competition player must have experienced the heart pumping first offical match ever. Maybe you can make first timers feel more at ease, maybe it feels like a lifetime ago. My first tournament match was last week and it was a thursday night men's compeition. My first doubles match was with my good friend (first timer too), i went totally tight and started to frame heaps. I lost faith in my banging flat 1st serve and started rolling 2nd serves over. it was over so quickly and we lost 6-2. Then my singles match came and i had my chance to redem myself. i stared blankly at my prostaff 85 and hoped it did not shrink and feel so small. The feeling in the amtch was unbelievable, i was hyperactive on adrenaline and after the first game i was already drenched. The match felt like a magic carpet ride, it was so surreal and everything off the racquet was perfect. i think i was luckly enough to be 'in the zone', now i seriously know what it feels like to play in slow motion. He served first and held. somehow i switched on and won the next 5 games! Everything felt so perfect, i had a crazy point, where my opponent made a deep slice to my backhand corner. i retreated (as i wasn't sure if it would skid or sidespin) and lost my footing (synthetic grass), i managed to do a dropshot as i fell down. I watched as he drop shotted me into the short forehand corner and i just got up unaware of my scraped skin and ran as hard as i could. I managed to get the ball and hit a flat winner down the line, i lost my footing again and half of my body slid under the net (luckily it was one of those nets that only go half way down). I was so high and shouted 'c'mon' and started jumping up and down as if i won wimbledon. For the whole match, i bunted his serve and drew him into the net and i just let the passing shot rip. I just kept on doing that and did a copule of lobs for fun! the experience was fantastic and even though it was division 3 at my local tennis club, i felt like the happiest person alive.

goober
02-22-2007, 08:59 AM
I had my first tournament match one year ago. My opponent was 45 years old but I looked up his record and he had regular USTA tournament experience going back to at least 2001. He also had some modest success in age group tourneys. This got me concerned . The first set I was nervous and made a ton of unforced errors and he had a big first serve which I didn't really figure out till the end of the set. After losing the first set I started thinking I was headed to the consolation bracket. Funny thing is that I started playing more relaxed after I thought I was going to lose the match. All my shots started landing and I figured out how to return his serve. We were tied at 3-3 in the second set and he did not win another game after that. After that match he hit a ball a 100 feet in the air, let out an expletive and smashed his racquet on the net (well at least it wasn't on the ground).

zzzbrianxxx
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
how dreamy. I got creamed by some kid who is top 20 in B18 NE. Way out of my league. I didn't even get a game. Damn, he was so good. The next two tourneys were tons better. I didn't win either of those matches though, but they were very competitive.

Bad first experience.

FD3S
03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Mine was today, and it was terrible. My groundstrokes and volleys were okay, but my serve and return of serve felt so mechanical; instead of my normally confident, fluid motion, I had this jerky, robotic motion that made me look like myself from 2 years ago. It was a blow to the ego, but I know now that my mental fortitude has to start getting better...