PDA

View Full Version : Great quality & softer multis?

Benjamin
03-11-2004, 07:42 AM
What are some of the "softer", better quality, multi filament strings that would be good to use with poly in a hybrid?

FYI: I'll be using it as the crosses in a string job on my POG mid that will have Luxilon BB ALU Power 16L in the mains.

Thanks.

Benjamin

Gaines Hillix
03-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Wilson NXT, Bab X-cel Premium, Gamma Live Wire XP, Laserfibre Laser Supreme, Phenom XRC, SuperNatural Pro Stock and Prince More Feel would all fit the bill in the premium multi category. If you're looking for a good, yet less expensive multifilament string, the original Wilson Sensation, Dunlop Max Comfort, Gamma Live Wire and Alpha Gut 2K would get my vote. One caviat here, Benjamin. A multi in a hybrid with a poly in the mains may not have great durability, especially if you have an inside-out stroke where there is more movement of the crosses than normal.

Swan Song
03-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Would Babolat Syntronic Brio fit in the premium multi section?

Benjamin
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Gaines,

Thanks for the list. The Pure Drive demo had the NXT Max in it and it felt horrible...pretty stiff. Does the NXT feel softer. Also, I put up a post the other day and some said that the Laserfibre Supreme had a "stiff" feel to it...do you agree? I think I have a set of the Sensation at home...I may give it a try...although it is red and may look a little funny (or maybe a little cool) with the grey Luxilon. Thanks for the heads up on the durability issue. How does the durability of the multis you mention compare to natural gut...say the Babolat Nat. Gut? Thanks again for all you knowledgable help.

Benjamin

python
03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I'll confess that I don't 'get' using an expensive multifilament in the crosses if you're going to use poly in the mains...Never could tell the difference between NXT crosses and good old Prince Syn Gut myself, except the NXT broke faster and cost more...

I've never tried natural gut in the crosses either, but I really think it's pointless.