PDA

View Full Version : Kuerten receives wild card into Pacific Life Open

Tchocky
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Guga gets a wild card entry into Indian Wells next month. Other men receiving wild cards are Sam Querrey, Michael Russell and Alex Kuznetsov. The women to get wild cards are Bethanie Mattek, Caroline Wozniacki, Asha Rolle, Lauren Albanese and Ann Tatishvili. Hope Guga gets an easy draw for his sake and the sake of his fans.

The Gorilla
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
tx for early info.

redsoxjad
02-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Unless he's in the women's draw, I think he may have a tough day at the office...

oscar_2424
02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I hope he prepares as good as he can, so he has a chance in the first round.

jaggy
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Bethanie Mattek rocks!

drakulie
02-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Unless he's in the women's draw, I think he may have a tough day at the office...

Very true. LOL

I don't see him doing much, but it would be nice if he won a few matches.
I wonder if he will be at Key Biscayne this year.

Jonas
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Either way, let's just hope GUGA at least has a nice fare-well tour of some sorts.
It was a joy watching him glide around the clay (especially from 99-2001).
He also had some amazing results on hardcourts. Remember the 2000 master's cup in lisbon? He beat Sampras and Agassi in less than 24 hours back to back to take the year end #1 and still it from Safin (on fast indoor courts).
The popularity of Guga in his day, was only outshined by that of AA.

OnceWas
02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
win a few matches, Guga.

federerfanatic
02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
What a bunch of nonsense. A player who in his prime was only a #8-#15 player on hard courts gets a wild card into a Masters event when he is clearly a has been. The only thing I hope is he plays Federer in the first round so he can lose in 21 minutes and get a reality check.

laurie
02-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Great to see Guga back.

shrakkie
02-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Good luck to Guga, I feel he may need it. :D

johnny ballgame
02-23-2007, 05:18 AM
What a bunch of nonsense. A player who in his prime was only a #8-#15 player on hard courts gets a wild card into a Masters event when he is clearly a has been. The only thing I hope is he plays Federer in the first round so he can lose in 21 minutes and get a reality check.

Uh-oh... is someone bitter about Federer's losing record to Guga?;)

Vlad
02-23-2007, 06:52 AM

Still upset at the thrashing Guga handed to Roger at 2004 Roland Garros?

time to get over it.

federerfanatic
02-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Kuerten being a has been who was never more then just pretty good on hard courts when he was 5 times the player he is now and not deserving a wild card into this event is just that. Try to veer of topic just shows you cant justify him deserving to be in this event for free either so you have to talk about something else, as you cant explain his wild card worthiness either. Talking about a match at the French Open does nothing to explain him deserving a wild card into his event when he is a has been outside the top 100 who was never a great champion on any surface but clay even in his prime.

Roger played a bad match in the 2004 French Open and deserved to lose to anybody who could hold a raquet properly that day, it happened to be Kuerten that day. Good for him, too bad he did not go all the way which would have been nice to see. That still does not explain a player who even in his prime was a 3rd round-quarterfinal player on hard courts and who cant even win matches on clay anymore, getting a wild card into the event not in his own country. It is a waste and unfair to whichever young american is getting their spot taken away. Kuerten has been embarassing himself on the tour when he has played for over a year. I dont know if a 25 minute loss to Federer, Nadal, or Roddick is what he needs but if it is hopefully he gets it here for his own well being. I dont know why a former champion is happy losing 6-2, 6-1 to nobodies in 1st rounds and why he deserves wildcards to keep doing that, especialy on a non clay surface where he was never a great player anyway.

JLyon
02-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Kuerten being a has been who was never more then just pretty good on hard courts when he was 5 times the player he is now and not deserving a wild card into this event is just that. Try to veer of topic just shows you cant justify him deserving to be in this event for free either so you have to talk about something else, as you cant explain his wild card worthiness either. Talking about a match at the French Open does nothing to explain him deserving a wild card into his event when he is a has been outside the top 100 who was never a great champion on any surface but clay even in his prime.

So by your standards then Nadal is a nobody on Hard and Indoor courts also. Kuerten had a great deal of success prior to 2005 on most surfaces. Blake and Roddick are horrid on Clay and slow Hard Courts.
Federer is an enigma because he plays great on every surface. Kuerten is on Par with Carlos Moya they are not HoF bound but are definately in the upper echelon. To bad injuries derailed Kuerten's career.

Oricus
02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Kuerten probably is HoF bound, the standards are not very high, he's won 3 Grandslams and has finished a Year #1, pretty good resume

4brotherdrive
02-23-2007, 02:15 PM
To keep it simple results are results federerfanatic.

lettuce
02-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Guga was the last man to beat K-Fed at Indian Wells. And, he has always been a fan favorite at this tourny. Seems appropriate enough to me to give him a wild card. I'm going to the tournament and will send him your love.

The Grand Slam
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
lettuce: unfortunately for Guga, a lot has changed since 2003.

mmuubb
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Ah, what a pleasure it will be to hear this " GNNNHNHNHNNN" again:)

GRANITECHIEF
02-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I will for sure watch a Guga match. Talk about a cool cat. He's got a lot of game hiding in his body, eventually he's going to find it again.

thejackal
02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
smart move by the organizers. im sure many more fans are willing to pay to watch guga over some solid journeyman.

hermano05
02-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Guga also received a WC from Miami and Las Vegas. I hope he can win some matches... he showed us that he's improved a lot in Brasil Open.

Volly master
02-24-2007, 01:24 PM
At least him and not Donald Young