PDA

View Full Version : Where did the G.O.A.T. acronym originate?

BeckerFan
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I first recall seeing the term 'G.O.A.T.' used on this forum about two years ago.

Since then it's gained currency on all the other major tennis websites. I've also seen it used by at least two professional writers, Peter Bodo and SI's Jon Wertheim.

Did TTW start the trend? If so, it would show how much influence Internet users now have over the traditional forms of media. I sometimes do wonder exactly who might be reading our posts ...

drakulie
02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I have been hearing this term for years, including other sports. Like you though, not sure where it originated.

BeckerFan
02-22-2007, 04:08 PM
So there's a book about Muhammad Ali called 'G.O.A.T.' that came out in 2004, and now they're using it as the name for a brand of snack food!

There was also a 2000 album by LL Cool J called 'G.O.A.T.' (Not really my thing, thus I hadn't heard about it until five minutes ago.)

Any earlier references?

Regardless, I still can't find any applications of the acronym to tennis prior to its use on this discussion forum. Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

jmsx521
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I just found out that it means (The) Greatest Of All Time, but it also means many other things:

http://www.answers.com/topic/goat-abbreviation
Generation Of Anti Tobacco
Get Out Any Time
Getting Our Act Together
Galoot Oldtools Archive Of Threads
GIS Oracle Access Tool
Geographic Ozone Assessment Technology

http://www.answers.com/GOAT
Abbreviation: “Go Away, Troll”.

And of course the most popular one:
http://www.answers.com/topic/goat
Any of various hollow-horned, bearded ruminant mammals of the genus Capra, originally of mountainous areas of the Old World, especially any of the domesticated forms of C. hircus, raised for wool, milk, and meat.

Thomas15
02-22-2007, 05:21 PM
i always thought it orginated from boxing/muhammed ali

jmsx521
02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I think the inventor of the abbreviation should’ve picked something else, since people in their minds would associate GOAT with a goat. When I hear it, the first thing that comes on my mind is a goat and a me-e-e-e-e-e-e.

austro
02-23-2007, 12:48 AM
At least in German, I can tell you that it was Hitler who came up with the designation of Greatest Marshall of All Time (Groesster Feldherr Aller Zeiten = GROeFAZ) for himself in the 1940s. With that always in the back of my mind, I am not a big fan of the GOAT talk...

35ft6
02-23-2007, 02:35 AM
I first heard it used by LL Cool J. He's hard as hell, yah.

Condoleezza
02-24-2007, 07:38 AM
At least in German, I can tell you that it was Hitler who came up with the designation of Greatest Marshall of All Time (Groesster Feldherr Aller Zeiten = GROeFAZ) for himself in the 1940s. With that always in the back of my mind, I am not a big fan of the GOAT talk...

Why not "Gröspaz" (Größter Spieler aller Zeiten)?

Condi

oberyn
02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I first recall seeing the term 'G.O.A.T.' used on this forum about two years ago.

Since then it's gained currency on all the other major tennis websites. I've also seen it used by at least two professional writers, Peter Bodo and SI's Jon Wertheim.

Did TTW start the trend? If so, it would show how much influence Internet users now have over the traditional forms of media. I sometimes do wonder exactly who might be reading our posts ...

I first saw it on a boxing discussion board and assumed it was taken frm Muhammad Ali's frequent statement that he was the "greatest of all time".

BeckerFan
02-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I suspect you are right, oberyn.

Still curious who first used it with respect to tennis.

I recall seeing it used frequently on this forum about two years ago, when I hadn't seen it at all on other websites. Now I see it all over the place.