PDA

View Full Version : top players live

Fred The Red
02-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Hey,

Some time ago we already had this topic...but maybe with new users or expierences...

Wich top players did you already saw playing?

For me:
Becker, Ivanisevic, Sampras, Rios, Courier, Stich, Krajicek, Pioline,
Gustafsson, Kafelnikov, Federer, Clemant, Bjorkman, Sluiter, Grosjean,
Rosset, Larsson, Henman, Korda, Dewulf

Verbal_Kint
02-20-2004, 06:20 AM
Krajicek, Boetsch, Leconte, Braasch, Chang, Rafter, Schalken, Haarhuis, Pavel, Clement, Arazi, Robredo, Siemerink, all at 's Hertogenbosch

Davis Cup: Schalken, Sluiter, Federer

Had a clinic with Eltingh, and spoke to him at a beach-tennis tournament.

Marnix

gustavo33
02-20-2004, 07:00 AM
guga, schalken, schuettler, gonzalez

The tennis guy
02-20-2004, 09:37 AM
No . 1 player I have watched in person:

Federer, Roddick, Ferrero, Agassi, Sampras, Kalfenikov, Hewitt, Moya, Kuerten.

Kirko
02-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Nastase,Ashe,Harold Solomon,Eddie Dibbs,Agassi,Lendl

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Bogomolov, Morrison, and Kendrick watched at a challenger.

Ballkidding for: Roddick, Kendrick, J Johannson, Saulnier, Thomas Blake, Ginepri, some awesome stuff up close.

Nosoupforyou
02-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Agassi, Fish, Roddick, Volchov, Davydenko, J. Blake, Johannson

pound cat
02-22-2004, 03:53 AM
All the top players and otherwise who were at TM Montreal last summer...they were all there

edge
04-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Ivanisevic, Edberg, Becker, Sampras, Chang, Rios, Hewiitt, Blake, Rafter, Agassi. Guga, Gambill, Federer, Roddick, Moya, Safin, Henman, Ferrero, Coria, Grosjean, Dent, Arazi, Nalbandian, Mirnyi, Bjorkman, Philippoussis, Navratilova, Evert, Hingas, Seles, Graf, Henin, Davenport, Mandlikova, Serena, Venus

tennis_dude
04-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Who here has been to the 4 slams?

cantaloupe
04-07-2004, 09:48 AM
sampras, safin, rios(who has a humongous serve for his tiny size) Haas, Federer, Martin, Novak, Shrichaphan (he's soo much fun, goes for insane shots and makes them), Dent (animal), mallisse(wow what a forehand, like a whip, so natural),

I also saw Fererro and Kafelnikov play, that was quite an eye opener. They have the smoooooooothest groundstrokes ever, during warmup they dont even swing much at the ball and it has sooo much spin and consistant depth, and when they crank it up in the match holy crap it was some awesome rallies. Kafel has THE best backhand on tour, I think someone here put it perfectly with "sniper rifle", the ball explodes off his racket and finds the sidelineswith pace and spin, awesome stuff, technical perfection. Also Gaudio has backhand that would make Fed weep, smooth, consistant, deep and deadly.

its funy when i watched gonzalez play he didn't seem to hit the ball really hard, but makes it seem so by breathing deeply and with the animal grunt, although nothing like Dent. Mallise on the otherhand cracks forehand winners without so much as a wince or grimace, he was born to hit that western whiplash of a forehand.

tennis_dude
04-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Malisse has alot of natural talent, too bad he has no head.

python
04-07-2004, 10:18 AM
I've been to numerous pro and college matches. Probably the highlight was the 1988 Edberg/Becker Wimbledon final. A close second was attending all three days of the 1992 US Davis Cup victory over Switzerland in 1992 in Ft. Worth, Texas. The players in that tie were: Agassi, Courier, Sampras, & McEnroe. The Swiss team included the very underrated Jakob Hlasek & Marc Rosset.

I try to go to the US Open every year, but lately I've been attending the early rounds instead of trying for a quarterfinals or better seat.

python
04-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Who here has been to the 4 slams?

I've made the trifecta of the US and French Opens and Wimbledon. I'll do Oz one of these days when the US dollar climbs back up.

galain
04-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Python

"When the US dollar climbs back up"??? Mate - you could come down here and live easy on that US currency of yours. I think our dollar is headed south (again). The AO is pretty affordable too.

As for players I've seen live - too many to mention individually. The one that impressed me the most was Thomas Johanssen. I watched him 2 years before he won down here and he was just amazing. I don't think he gets enough credit on these boards.

Oh - and Ken Rosewall. I think I would give my left one for his backhand.

nyu
04-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Only live pro match I've seen was Roddick-Henman in the first round of the US Open this year. I couldn't believe how fast Roddick's serve was. Even more, I couldn't believe Henman's ability to return the huge serves consistently deep. Also, Henman's abilities at the net are hard to explain. He got a racquet on balls that should have been way out of range for any mortal tennis player.

norcal
04-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Agassi, Sampras, Hingis. Navritalova, Seles, Venus, Aranxta, Mary Joe, Zvereva....and of course Anna.

TripleThreatPlayer
04-07-2004, 02:56 PM
James Blake, Jan-Michael Gambill, Anna Kournikova, Andre Agassi, Max Miryni, Taylor Dent, Robby Genepri

ezdude1970
04-07-2004, 03:02 PM
My favorite live match was rios vs. chang (us open 97 quarterfinals)

then living in washington dc area i go to legg mason every year.

on top of that, this year i went to nasdaq 100 for early rounds (friday, saturday and sunday), I so some good tennis there,
the match that i liked the best was gonzalez vs. kuchera.

From now on my buddy and I decided to make it a tradition and go every year to Nasdaq, there is just no better place than miami in the end of March!

Hopefully, next year Winter Music Conference and Nasdaq will be running at the same time so I would be able to attend both!

Dennis Anyone?
04-07-2004, 05:22 PM
college men: Pat McEnroe, Jim Grabb, Luke Jensen, mostly Stanford vs. Pac-10 (do they still hold matches on the carpet inside Maples Pavillion?)

pro men: Agassi, Roddick, Blake, Haas and others at the Siebel and Sybase; Jaime Yzaga's the only one I can recall from the old Transamerica days. Barry McKay rules!

(quick story about a Mac vs. Lendl exhibition in Sacramento: they auctioned off Mac's 200G and Lendl's argyle-style Adidas warm-ups. Mac's stick went for an admirable price; Lendl's sweats went for less $ than if you bought them at a sporting goods store--felt bad for him)

pro women: Martina, Mandlikova and others at the Virginia Slims

Haven't made it to the local Bank of the West tourney, yet.

python
04-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Python

"When the US dollar climbs back up"??? Mate - you could come down here and live easy on that US currency of yours. I think our dollar is headed south (again). The AO is pretty affordable too.

Oh, I'm fairly tight with a dollar when it comes to pure recreation, Galain. I'd have to get a rate like 1.55 AUD to 1 USD before I'd commit to spending a week+ in Australia.

Someday.