PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming a problem

IceBlue
09-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone. My strength is at the baseline, usually hitting with quite a bit of pace with some topspin, but sometimes flat. What is the best method of handing the situation of somebody deliberately slicing short balls that land mid-court and don't sit up much? Should I slice the balls back and approach the net/retreat to baseline, try to hit over the ball with topspin (I use semi-western forehand and two-handed backhand) or what are your recommendations? If you want me to post more info I will. Thanks!

Exxion
09-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Personally I LOVE mid court balls but thats just me (even low ones)

It also depends a lot on where the midcourt ball is, ( left,right, middle). angle=good

If oppoentn is at/behind baseline you could try a dropshot. If your opponent is approaching try a moon shot with lots of topspin to prevent between legs shot or anything that like that or a passing shot

DO NOT RETREAT TO BASELINE, to do so you would have to cross no mans land.... the only way you would have enough time to retreat to baseline is if you hit a super high moon ball and only if you really hate volleying.

thehustler
09-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Drop shot. If you have a good drop shot you can force your opponent to come in and get a weak reply that can sit right in your strike zone. I have been working on this when I get the chance and when someone gives me a sitter I hammer away at a passing shot. It makes them quickly think twice about hittin a short low ball. At times I will also grip and rip and if I get it over I've just sent a message to my opponent. Try to mix it up if you can to keep your opponent off balance. If your drop shot isn't all that good try it anyway. It'll at least force your oppoent to come in and try to hit one more ball which could be the right one for you to crack a passing shot. Always keep em on their toes.

IceBlue
09-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the advice! I will try these things.

jun
09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
It's not easy to hit a good drop shot off a mid court ball that stays very low. If you were dictacting the points, making the other guy run left and right, ball ends up in the mid court, then you could go try drop shot.

First and the most important thing is "TO RECOGNIZE THESE BALLS AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE" then you have to move in qucikly by taking little steps so you can be balanced and you will really have to get down low BY bending your knees.

If you have good racket head speed and can hit good topspin shot, then you can try to hit with a lot of topspin.

Easier shot might be just slicing back.

You can try to approach off either shot. But if you hit it with slice, you can sort of run through the shot.

If you want to retrieve back to the baseline, then make sure you hit it deep with good net clearance. You want to give yourself enough time to get back to the baseline and be ready for next shot.