PDA

View Full Version : Someone shoot the Dubai 'organizers'

ckthegreek
02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Baghdatis v Nadal 1st round match

:shock: :x :roll: :rolleyes:

Gemini
02-24-2007, 02:30 PM
It's Baghdatis's fault for not being ranked higher.

Mick
02-24-2007, 02:30 PM

What !?!

For real ???

vive le beau jeu !
02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
i think marcos is the highest unseeded player in the draw...
what what what ?!... marcos vs nadal ??? :shock:
alleeeeez marcos !!! :D
destroy the topspinmonkey... do it for me, please ! http://orycterope.free.fr/9mm_gif.gif
(... and reach the final !)
;)

Chadwixx
02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Thats a great match, whats the problem?

ckthegreek
02-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Thats a great match, whats the problem?

The problem is that you have Omar Bahrouzyan playing Hrbaty, two qualifiers playing one another and Bracciali also playing a qualifier.

The bottom half of the draw is completely screwed.

http://www.dubaitennischampionships.com/4/draws/atp_mds1.pdf

Warriorroger
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Baghdatis is a big cheater. I hope he loses big time. He promised to play in Rotterdam, but cancelled last minute because of a wrist injury, which didn't prevent him from reaching the final in the tournament prior to Rotterdam and now he is fit enough to play Dubai. I used to like him, no I don't, with his stupid smile.

LarougeNY
02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
THe draw sucks. Baghdatis should be seeded, hell, even djokovic is seeded (baggy is much, much better). O well, Hopefully baghdatis wins and gets to play fed in the final.

tennis_nerd22
02-24-2007, 02:58 PM

haha thats awesome

tennis_nerd22
02-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Baghdatis is a big cheater. I hope he loses big time. He promised to play in Rotterdam, but cancelled last minute because of a wrist injury, which didn't prevent him from reaching the final in the tournament prior to Rotterdam and now he is fit enough to play Dubai. I used to like him, no I don't, with his stupid smile.

how the hell is that cheating... isnt it WORSE to play a seeded player early? especially the NUMBER 2 SEED in the FIRST round? or am i missing something...

maybe he just didnt want to play, maybe he's busy making babies, maybe something came up, etc. You cant say he's cheating though... :|

im not saying he is or isnt cheating because i have no proof that he is or isnt, but i think your logic is whacked, lol

ckthegreek
02-24-2007, 03:02 PM

You probably have very little knowledge or understanding of how the ATP thing works. Bagh played two tourrnaments in a row, winning the one and losing in the final of the other. It is not humanly possible to play 3 tournaments in a row unless you're on drugs.

Something has to give.

tennis_nerd22
02-24-2007, 03:09 PM
You probably have very little knowledge or understanding of how the ATP thing works. Bagh played two tourrnaments in a row, winning the one and losing in the final of the other. It is not humanly possible to play 3 tournaments in a row unless you're on drugs.

Something has to give.

very good point

Andres
02-24-2007, 04:21 PM

Something has to give.
Or you're Davydenko/Kafelnikov :p

There must be something in the Russian water :)

Ronaldo
02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Or you're Davydenko/Kafelnikov :p

There must be something in the Russian water :)

Argentinians bottling it?

McStud
02-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Bags has a great chance to win so I would be happy if I were you.

tuk
02-24-2007, 05:39 PM
THe draw sucks. Baghdatis should be seeded, hell, even djokovic is seeded (baggy is much, much better).
LOL...Why? because you say so....Baghdatis isn't seeded because he wasn't good enough as other players Rankingwise (that includes djokovic)....period

mellofelow
02-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Bagh is ranked 17th in the world. Unfortunately the tournament is draw of 32. Only 8 players are seeded and the 8th seed is David Ferrer with ranking of 15. Anyone outside of that is random.

But after reviewing the draw, I see 2 qualifiers play each other in the first round... makes no sense what so ever. Usually qualifiers are sacrificial lambs to top seeds to fill-in bye rounds.

Andres
02-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Argentinians bottling it?
Hey, gimme a break, that was a cheap and low shot! :?

Max G.
02-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Bagh is ranked 17th in the world. Unfortunately the tournament is draw of 32. Only 8 players are seeded and the 8th seed is David Ferrer with ranking of 15. Anyone outside of that is random.

But after reviewing the draw, I see 2 qualifiers play each other in the first round... makes no sense what so ever. Usually qualifiers are sacrificial lambs to top seeds to fill-in bye rounds.

Qualifiers are also placed randomly, along with everybody else that is unseeded.

Fedexeon
02-24-2007, 11:41 PM
This happens when a tournament is small but alot of big players join in.

illkhiboy
02-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Why do people keep saying stupid stuff like this? It's the luck of the draw. I, for one, am happy, cause I am only going on the 1st day of the tournament. Hope, hopefully the match will be on the first day.

go_nadal
02-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Man some people are so stupid... People are seeded based on RANKINGS not on how good you believe they are...

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 04:02 AM
how the hell is that cheating... isnt it WORSE to play a seeded player early? especially the NUMBER 2 SEED in the FIRST round? or am i missing something...

maybe he just didnt want to play, maybe he's busy making babies, maybe something came up, etc. You cant say he's cheating though... :|

im not saying he is or isnt cheating because i have no proof that he is or isnt, but i think your logic is whacked, lol

Baghdatis CHEATER

jamumafa
02-25-2007, 04:04 AM
Baghdatis CHEATER

Warriorroger IDIOT.

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Warriorroger IDIOT.

You know, say what you want, but a lot of people (including me) paid money (which I don't have much of) to see him. It's understandable if you have an injury, or personal problems as reason for not showing up, but the day after he announced it he was fit enough to win a semi final and go to the final and play a 3 setter. So try to see it from my point of view.

jamumafa
02-25-2007, 04:30 AM
^^

I can see it from your point of view but theres no need to call him a cheater. Maybe if he stole Nadals rackets - that'd be cheating

FiveO
02-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Luck of the draw, pure and simple. 32 draw, 8 seeds. EVERYONE else, all 24 other participants go into a hat. These type of match-ups were even more frequent at the majors before 2001 when they seeded only 16 of the 128.

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 05:08 AM
^^

I can see it from your point of view but theres no need to call him a cheater. Maybe if he stole Nadals rackets - that'd be cheating

okay: I call him a

Medical Wonder

vive le beau jeu !
02-25-2007, 05:41 AM
You know, say what you want, but a lot of people (including me) paid money (which I don't have much of) to see him. It's understandable if you have an injury, or personal problems as reason for not showing up, but the day after he announced it he was fit enough to win a semi final and go to the final and play a 3 setter. So try to see it from my point of view.
i understand your disappointemant, as you wanted to see him.
but it's understandable that he would not able to finish his marseille tournament + play rotterdam immediately after, especially with that wrist problem.
if he just asked a WC for the rotterdam tournament, it's because he really wanted to play it...
(did you buy your tickets after he asked for the wild-card ?...)

give him another chance, he's a good guy. ;)

diegaa
02-25-2007, 06:19 AM
but it's understandable that he would not able to finish his marseille tournament + play rotterdam immediately after, especially with that wrist problem.
if he just asked a WC for the rotterdam tournament, it's because he really wanted to play it...

ok, but only one!!!!!!! ;)

Seriously, I still dont understand why Bags is so liked around here ...
his game? ok, not so much better than others. His personality? well, i found it a little annoying: i have the impression the Bags is showing of all the time with "his stupid smile" (quoting WR)...

JLyon
02-25-2007, 06:22 AM
it is called luck of the draw once you get past the seeds. I guess most of you guys still like to stack the draws and rig it to your pleasure. Yup that is real ethical

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 06:24 AM

I would have, had he also skipped Dubai.

vive le beau jeu !
02-25-2007, 07:05 AM
I would have, had he also skipped Dubai.
come on... he had one week for taking care of his wrist, now that's ok.

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 07:12 AM
come on... he had one week for taking care of his wrist, now that's ok.

No, I am going to be firm on that.

Why are you his advocate by the way. It's a free message board, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I think he cheated, so what, will you sleep less on it?

malakas
02-25-2007, 07:44 AM

yes!Isn't it wonderful!!:D :mrgreen: Rafa losing sooo many points!:mrgreen:

In all seriousness,I think it's great.Yeah,the fourth quarter is 10 times more difficult than the first but that is why Dubai is a great tournament.A lot of good players.

Pame Marko!!!!

malakas
02-25-2007, 07:55 AM

He had signed a contract with the tournament for three years,and last year didn't manage to play because of an injury.This year,he didn't want to play at all this tournament -didn't put it in his official schedule he didn't register on time as he should have.Then after probably a breaching contract threatening by Richard's lawyers,both sides tried to save face by granting Marcos a WC.But he had already reached the quarters of Marseilles by then after some tough gruelling matches in a row and he decided not to risk any injury as he didn't feel his wrist very well and certainly playing next week a new tournament wasn't perfect for it.

You may have payed to see him,and been dissapointed and not like him now which is all fair ,but at least aknowledge the fact that in contrast to many other players, he had the decency to withdraw before the qualifiers started so another player could benefit by the WC-and moreso a dutch player.He didn't go there,to tank and go collect appearances fees and first round money.And that means a lot to my book.

From a Marcos' fan perspective,I prefer that he didn't go there at all,as last year he made some stupid decisions with his schedule and honestly playing Rotterdam -the third tournament in a row- wouldn't be much wise.Better save energy for IW and Dubai where he has many more points to gain.

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 09:07 AM
He had signed a contract with the tournament for three years,and last year didn't manage to play because of an injury.This year,he didn't want to play at all this tournament -didn't put it in his official schedule he didn't register on time as he should have.Then after probably a breaching contract threatening by Richard's lawyers,both sides tried to save face by granting Marcos a WC.But he had already reached the quarters of Marseilles by then after some tough gruelling matches in a row and he decided not to risk any injury as he didn't feel his wrist very well and certainly playing next week a new tournament wasn't perfect for it.

You may have payed to see him,and been dissapointed and not like him now which is all fair ,but at least aknowledge the fact that in contrast to many other players, he had the decency to withdraw before the qualifiers started so another player could benefit by the WC-and moreso a dutch player.He didn't go there,to tank and go collect appearances fees and first round money.And that means a lot to my book.

From a Marcos' fan perspective,I prefer that he didn't go there at all,as last year he made some stupid decisions with his schedule and honestly playing Rotterdam -the third tournament in a row- wouldn't be much wise.Better save energy for IW and Dubai where he has many more points to gain.

Okay, fair enough.

Ztalin
02-25-2007, 09:23 AM
ckthegreek seems a little racist today.

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 09:48 AM
^^

Wonder if Rafa would tackle him like Tiger in that commercial? Or just bean him?

jamumafa
02-25-2007, 09:57 AM
^^

Western forehand to the face probably. Steal his head-tie and tell him to get his own bloody style. :-D

noeledmonds
02-25-2007, 09:59 AM

All draws are random apart from the seeded players. The seedings are entriely based on the rankings in a tournament like this. The organisers had nothing to do with it, its just luck of the draw.

The tennis guy
02-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Baghdatis should be seeded, hell, even djokovic is seeded (baggy is much, much better).

He is so much better that he doesn't even rank higher than Djokovic. Sounds you are talking crap.

Warriorroger
02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
He is so much better that he doesn't even rank higher than Djokovic. Sounds you are talking crap.

Saw Djokovic play yesterday, I think is he a bigger talent.

killer
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Dunno about Warrior's comment re Djokovic being more talented...but you always get the sense with Baggy that he's never really in control of his matches, don't you? I mean the guy's really talented for sure, and as we've all seen can have some amazing wins...but I'd put Baggy a bit higher re talent, just because of his results over top players. perhaps it's a matter of time for Novak; a bit of maturity in his game will certainly help, along with some consistency.

danb
02-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Rafa will kick his rear - straight sets. I like it!

andfor
03-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey, gimme a break, that was a cheap and low shot! :?

Cheap is a relative term. It depends on how much the additives cost the Argentines when bottling that waters.:D

bluetrain4
03-08-2007, 07:53 PM
That's the reality of a random draw. This used to happen in Slams, where a top player would have to play the 17th - -20th ranked player in the first round because only players were seeded. I actually liked it better that way.

bluetrain4
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
That's the reality of a random draw. This used to happen in Slams, where a top player would have to play the 17th - -20th ranked player in the first round because only players were seeded. I actually liked it better that way.

I meant to say because only 16 players were seeded.