PDA

View Full Version : How does Alessio di Mauro play?

jmsx521
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
From ATP site: "Alessio di Mauro reached his first career ATP final on Saturday with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Diego Hartfield." Diego, plays very good tennis; to beat him 1 and 4, di Mauro must be very good. Does he have the game to get to Q or S at Roland Garros?

G4t0
02-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Di Mauro it's usually a challeger player, his play it's very conservative, he plays slow and highs balls very often. He reached the final because he didn't play with great players (Hartfield, Berlocq (1 lost & 1 won), his only rough player has been Montañes who played awfull in that match. Tomorrow i think that "Pico" Monaco will win without matters. if he enter to Rolland Garros main draw it's just luck :D. Yes, i don't like Di Mauro's play at all.

welcome2petrkordaland
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
i watched di mauro beat hartfield today in the buenos aires semis in straight sets. he's a leftie, plays percentage tennis, has a very solid 2 handed bh, uses the forehand down the line/inside out fh as his best weapon, is not all that mobile, and came up big under pressure and hit some great shots and big serves. his court demeanor is excellent-calm, reserved, and cerebral- which the commentators pointed out goes against the stereotype for Italian players. he's a definite clay-courter, though. having said that, i believe he has little chance to go far at roland garros and will probably lose to monaco tomorrow.

diegaa
02-24-2007, 09:40 PM
as my countryman said, he play very slow and defensive. his game (at least on clay) is based on his defensive skills: a decent 1st serve (2nd kick ok), heavy top spin on his left forehand and a solid baseline rallies. Not too much more. He´s been very lucky to be in an ATP final.
He is a reliable challenger´s player.