PDA

View Full Version : playing against a lobber

pspcpog
09-04-2004, 12:50 PM
There's this guy in my club I have to play against
from time to time. I really hate playing with this guy,
since he's only shot against me is keep lobbing.
Yes, he lobs all the time! He even serve and lob. :evil:
Of course, I am a better player and never let him win
the match.
What frustrates me is that he doesn't do this against
other players but me. Is this obnoxious or what?
I haven't been taking this personally yet, but I am
beginning to do so now. This definitely is not tennis in my dictionary. I'm just sick of it... Have you played against
this sort? Should I say something to him?

mistapooh
09-04-2004, 01:37 PM
You think it could be that hes intimidated by you, since you do win....Let him lob all he want as long as you win and he won't improve from his style of playing.

thehustler
09-04-2004, 01:59 PM
How good is his lob? Are we talking deep lobs on the baseline or just weak ones that you can easily put away? Why do you 'have to play against this guy'? Are you so much better than him that when you hit a groundstroke his only shot is to lob it? Just punish him when he lobs you. Eventually he'll have to figure out something else and if he doesn't it's just an easy victory for you.

papa
09-04-2004, 03:55 PM
I played against this type of player once - hated it but it probably wasn't quite as bad as the guy you describe. What I did was just lob the ball back high (and I mean sky balls ) - go real high with it because I bet this guy can't hit a lob worth beans. I think he will get the message that you're a little fed up with his style of play.

aahala
09-05-2004, 10:54 AM
You can't select an opponent's shots or style of play. It can be irritating, but that's life,er, tennis.

You can change the way you play however. Since we can't know which shots this guy may or may not be able to lob, then we can't be very specific as to how your play should change.

Or if you don't really need to play this guy, choose not to.

Agent Smith
09-07-2004, 03:39 AM
Pratice a topspin volley... it really helps.

Camilio Pascual
09-07-2004, 06:30 AM
You have absolutely no business in the world talking to him about his game if you feel you have some authority over his style of play. The real problem lies within your own head, take the victories and don't worry about it. I'm a lobber, and if I can't beat a given person any other way, I will resort to the lob. This will often uncover the mentally and/or emotionally weak and give me a possibility of winning if they obsess on MY game and become self-defeating. If somebody would talk to me about it, I'd laugh and become more confident in playing this person who always beats me because I know I'm getting inside their head.

C_Urala
09-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Talk to him. If you do it friendly or just politely, it will cost you nothing but can give you eventually one more friend.

Rickson
09-07-2004, 06:58 AM
I love when my opponent sends me lobs. I get good practice on my overheads or I sometimes let the ball bounce lower than an overhead, but high for a forehand and rip a hard forehand.

Camilio Pascual
09-07-2004, 11:21 AM
I love when my opponent sends me lobs. I get good practice on my overheads or I sometimes let the ball bounce lower than an overhead, but high for a forehand and rip a hard forehand.
That is an outstanding attitude to take about lobs, Rickson. I really admire that type of an attitude.
It sure beats whining, "Somebody hits me lobs and I don't like it. Make them stop!"

Rickson
09-07-2004, 11:29 AM
That is an outstanding attitude to take about lobs, Rickson. I really admire that type of an attitude.
It sure beats whining, "Somebody hits me lobs and I don't like it. Make them stop!"
Thanks, CP. I'm just pointing out that lobs sent your way can be a great weapon for you, the returner, not an insulting shot.

gregraven
09-07-2004, 12:19 PM
If you can hit a slice that stays low, and perhaps even place it short in the box, you'll be giving him a lot tougher shot to lob, and more of his lobs will be within an easy kill zone ... assuming you're taking the net behind this shot.