PDA

View Full Version : overpriced clothes

babolat15
02-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Am I the only one thats not willing to pay 50-60 dollars on a "tennis shirt" and 30 dollars on shorts, what are your views on the pricing of clothes and also the people who have enough dri-fit to last them a lifetime but cant play worth crap

vinnier6
02-25-2007, 06:04 AM
i am one of thoes guys with enought drifit crap to last a life time but cant play like crap...

anyway, i usually buy my stuff at dicks on sale usually last years crap...i dont usually spend more than 20 for a shirt or shorts...

babolat15
02-25-2007, 06:07 AM
wow cool i didnt know dicks, sold tennis clothes

ryohazuki222
02-25-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm acquiring quite the collection of climalite adidas stuff... probably enough so that I'm starting to look like a poser going out to play in all adidas.

that said.. I agree with you that those regular prices are ridiculous. Pretty much anything I buy is ~$15

babolat15
02-25-2007, 06:42 AM
how and where are you finding climalite for 15 bucks

Owen0501
02-25-2007, 06:56 AM
The brands bring out different outfits for each season and major slam, so I wait until the clothes I buy have been out for a season or two and more than often pay less than half the original price! That said you guys are lucy because over here (in UK) whatever you pay in dollars we have to pay in punds -i.e you pay $30 for a shirt we pay 30 which works out to be around $58!

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 08:35 AM
The brands bring out different outfits for each season and major slam, so I wait until the clothes I buy have been out for a season or two and more than often pay less than half the original price! That said you guys are lucy because over here (in UK) whatever you pay in dollars we have to pay in punds -i.e you pay $30 for a shirt we pay 30 which works out to be around $58!

Who you calling Lucy? UnderArmour shorts and skirts seem reasonably priced, less than $20 each.

tennis_nerd22
02-25-2007, 08:44 AM
lol i hate buying clothing cuz its always so expensive. i just stick to no-name now

ryohazuki222
02-25-2007, 08:53 AM
how and where are you finding climalite for 15 bucks

If you look around its not too hard to find... in stores like marshalls, ross, tj maxx. I'm lucky enough to have two different adidas factory stores within 30 mins of me as well.

As for the no name stuff... to me, that's overpriced. I like adidas more and get it for about the same price.

tennis_nerd22
02-25-2007, 09:16 AM
As for the no name stuff... to me, that's overpriced. I like adidas more and get it for about the same price.

well not here... its more expensive at ANY store here. and plus, no-name means much better colour selections ;)

yemenmocha
02-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I only buy here when it's discounted heavily and I really want the item. Yes, you're right, it's insane that tennis shirts should cost $65. I like the turquoise Federer shirt but no way am I paying $65 for it.

J011yroger
02-25-2007, 10:11 AM
*Shrug* it is the same as everything else, Corvettes are great if you can afford them/want to pay for them, otherwise you buy a cavalier, or if you like Corvettes and can't afford/don't want to pay for them, you buy one that is a couple of years old. Clothes are like racquets in that respect, shoes/strings are different since they wear out.

J

retrowagen
02-25-2007, 10:15 AM
OK, just play naked then. Better yet, how about one of those "poor guy" barrels? Unless you are shaped like the barrel, I hear they have a nice moisture-wicking layer and don't feel too bad against the skin (as long as the cooper sanded it properly). Plus, you can carve logos on them!! You can't do that with a technical fiber...

babolat15
02-25-2007, 10:16 AM
dang, j how can you afford 12 n6.1s

Nick Irons
02-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I confess I usually buy from the sales rack. I still pimp my adidas, but just cannot fathom the $60-$100 purchases when 'last seasons' style is $30 and it's the same thing.

J011yroger
02-25-2007, 10:37 AM
dang, j how can you afford 12 n6.1s

Tennis is important to me, there are lots of people with 12 racquets, just all different ones. Honestly for tournament play I would like to have 16.

J

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Surprised no one mentioned that auction site, found many new name brand shirts for $5 or less. If you buy in lots of three or more thats when the bargains begin and the shipping costs are not so high.

BreakPoint
02-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Doesn't this really depend on how much money you have? I mean to a multi-millionaire (of which there are millions of in the world), paying $65 for a tennis shirt is like you buying a paper clip. :-o ;) But for the rest of us, we'll just have to be on the lookout for better deals, e.g., after season clearance on TW, discount stores, pro shop sales, etc.

And for me personally, win or lose, I'd rather look good while doing it. :grin:

babolat15
02-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Surprised no one mentioned that auction site, found many new name brand shirts for $5 or less. If you buy in lots of three or more thats when the bargains begin and the shipping costs are not so high.

wat site r u talking about

babolat15
02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Tennis is important to me, there are lots of people with 12 racquets, just all different ones. Honestly for tournament play I would like to have 16.

J

what is your level. do you break a lot of strings

pNoyr3D
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Lol, I would never buy at the price they are right now new, I think they are definitely overpriced but, they sell. Lol.

I am one of those people that get them from the discount / clearence parts of Sports Authority, Kohls, Dicks, etc..

Yesterday I bought an Adidas Court Response Team Zip-up Polo climalite for $20, it's really nice. They had some others too but, I only had money for 1. I also bought an adidas tennis polo at Kohls for $10, their great.

fmma
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM

I totally agree with you, just enjoy the game!

Can't we really afford a shirt which costs 65$? It is expensive but after wearing it, it feels really good!

Enjoy tennis!:p

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Would post that auction site's name but it is a four-letter word on this board, ****!!!!!!!!

pNoyr3D
02-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Most of them could be fake Ronaldo? A lot of things are fake in that big auction site. Clothing is easily replicated too.

J011yroger
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
what is your level. do you break a lot of strings

I play open, and break ALU in 2 hours.

J

Voltron
02-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow, I break ALU in about a week, but I string at low tensions. What tension do you use Jolly?

J011yroger
02-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Anywhere from 56-64.

J

Voltron
02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Ok then, I find that it works best at about 56 mains, 54 crosses of your choice. Do you use a full job, or hybrid?

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Most of them could be fake Ronaldo? A lot of things are fake in that big auction site. Clothing is easily replicated too.

Maybe the Adidas and Nike clothing may be replicated. Doubt anyone would risk faking Fila, Prince, Reebok, or Wilson technical gear, little money to be made,no demand. Really believe that is the best deal.

J011yroger
02-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Ok then, I find that it works best at about 56 mains, 54 crosses of your choice. Do you use a full job, or hybrid?

I have blended it with laserfiber supernatural gut 16 (Love LFSNG alone, but it breaks in minutes, didnt like the blend) NRG2 (Played great when it was new, but the alu kicked the NRG's *** in about an hour) and VS 16 (Lasted about as long as full ALU, but I didn't like it as much as the NRG2 blend)

I really love the full ALU job for hitting with pace and spin, and I find I hit better against players who have less pace when I play the NRG2 blend, but I thought it was stupid to be carrying two different string jobs in my bag, so I just play a tighter version of the full ALU against ppl who have less pace, and deal with it.

When I played the blend I kept the mains at 56-62 and put the crosses in the 62-66 range.

The loosest I ever went was 56M and 58X and I was miserable, and had to play like a sissy to keep the ball in, it is ok for dubs or teaching, but I was hating life playing singles with it that loose.

J

Voltron
02-25-2007, 02:49 PM
If I were you I would try some Yonex Tournament 50 in the crosses, I also like Babolat Attraction. Both of those make good cross strings.

J011yroger
02-25-2007, 03:11 PM
It would break/be worthless in under an hour. The VS at least hung in there because it breaks the poly mains first. I fiddled around with the blends when I wasn't hitting as hard as I am now, now anything short of full poly is junk in minutes.

J

babolat15
02-25-2007, 04:12 PM
has anyone ever used kirschbaum

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 04:18 PM
has anyone ever used kirschbaum

They make clothing? Bet the price is super spiky, eh?

Ifn-gamma
02-25-2007, 05:40 PM

I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for clothing deals on eboy.

Ronaldo
02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for clothing deals on eboy.

ovay, fo shizzle

ne1410is
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
lol i usually feel the haterade if i wear the target brand clothes! i dont want to get jacked so i try to wear cheap as possible. its kinda ghetto around here. anyways, i did find some nike shorts for like 8 bucks so i wear those but i get all freaked cuz people think they nice and then think i have money and it can get kinda oc. (outta control)

Ronaldo
02-26-2007, 06:28 AM
lol i usually feel the haterade if i wear the target brand clothes! i dont want to get jacked so i try to wear cheap as possible. its kinda ghetto around here. anyways, i did find some nike shorts for like 8 bucks so i wear those but i get all freaked cuz people think they nice and then think i have money and it can get kinda oc. (outta control)

Don't sleep on thrift stores and church/neighborhood sales. Some really good technical clothing pops up and may fit in your locale. You can disguise your good gear with sweats till you are ready to play.

Chauvalito
02-26-2007, 06:53 AM
If you look hard enough you can always find great clima-cool shirts and shorts and dr-fit clothing for less than $15.

I recently picked up a 2 dri-fit hats, usually $15-$20 for $5 each.

I have found numerous pairs of shorts and shirts for less than $15...

Mind you, most of the shirts are not tennis specific, like what Nadal or Federer are wearing, they are usully running clothing or specific to some other sport but are equallly effective for tennis players.

I am not interested in wearing the same shirt or shorts as the pro's, I look for the technology and usually can find it...

Chauvalito
02-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Doesn't this really depend on how much money you have? I mean to a multi-millionaire (of which there are millions of in the world), paying $65 for a tennis shirt is like you buying a paper clip. :-o ;) But for the rest of us, we'll just have to be on the lookout for better deals, e.g., after season clearance on TW, discount stores, pro shop sales, etc.

Quite true

yourname1245
02-26-2007, 07:30 AM
i found a pair of nike vapor 3 the ones with the green soles for 40 dollars and a pair of nike resolves with the blue toe for 25 thats a deal and there are even more of the vapors there and i am going to get another pair if there comfortable. At sports authority if its not a hot shoe then i goes on the clearance rack for nothing. Last year i got a pair of barricade 3's the blu and silver one for 65 they are the most comfortable tennis shoe like a slipper. But like everyone was saying kohls, bobs and sports authority are really good during the off season.
-sal

fuzz nation
02-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I thought the new clothes were for poser McWannabees until I found out how great it is to stay dry. In the spring and fall when it's colder, I freeze if I get sweaty - not a big deal in the summer, but dry is still comfy.

I hit on a smokin' deal for occasional gear; I know a pro at a local club and I sometimes string frames for him and take shirts as payment!

Ronaldo
02-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Plenty of good deals on Adidas Climalite/Climacool soccer gear. Easy to find shirts under $20.

sandradj
02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Chicago Tennis and Golf store have a good discount for members ($50 a year) and you have $5 coupon every month, so I can afford some good stuff. They have everything new as TW in all sizes and their prices are lower then TW. Also you can always try on auction sites EB

coolhandluke
02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
If you are patient and you're not obsessed with having the latest nike, adidas, lotto, fila etc, like alot of the people who write on these message boards are, you can always find all these shoes and apparel on sale at many retail venues including tennis warehouse.