PDA

View Full Version : How much have USTA link fees been raised?

goober
02-25-2007, 07:10 AM
I was going through sign up for a tourney and that actual cost the USTA is going to charge to my credit card is $10.13 more than the cost of the tourney. This is 30% of the cost of the tourney and seems excessive. Wasn't the fee just $2 last year?

JLyon
02-26-2007, 05:28 AM
they raised the fee on January 16th to $3 as for the extra $10 I would contact the tournament

goober
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
I was e-mailed that this extra $10 is a non-refundable processing fee. That is a complete ripoff.

JLyon
02-27-2007, 05:32 AM
I was e-mailed that this extra $10 is a non-refundable processing fee. That is a complete ripoff.

That seems a little fishy considering the link fee is only $3.
What is the tournament ID just curious?
If true the USTA should be ashamed basically stealing their members money.

Cruzer
02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
The tournament I played in last weekend cost $39.20 to enter. I recall the cost to enter the same tournament last year was $32.00. With the size of the draw the most matches you could get is 3. I like playing tournaments but the cost is getting ridiculous.

christophertowle
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Yep. The fee went up.

USTA is looking to generate more revenue. I have looked elsewhere for competition. Has anyone looked at flextennis?

I know it is in a few cities so far, but I am playing my 1st season and so for the competion is very good and the scheduling is great.

www.flextennis.com

Azzurri
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep. The fee went up.

USTA is looking to generate more revenue. I have looked elsewhere for competition. Has anyone looked at flextennis?

I know it is in a few cities so far, but I am playing my 1st season and so for the competion is very good and the scheduling is great.

www.flextennis.com

Texas or Cali??:-(

christophertowle
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I play in Houston.

I have a little one at home now, so I cannot go play tennis on any night. The Flex league allows me to set up the matches around my family life. My wife also plays.

We both are enjoying it so far.

Chris

Raiden.Kaminari
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, the TennisLink fee went up since it's now being processed by an independent company.

Tournaments may increase fees because they were not making enough money to run/host the tournament.

BiGGieStuFF
02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I play in Houston.

I have a little one at home now, so I cannot go play tennis on any night. The Flex league allows me to set up the matches around my family life. My wife also plays.

We both are enjoying it so far.

Chris

I played 2 seasons of Flex. It's a more relaxed structure and actually is what got me into competitive tennis. Performed miserably my first season. Made the playoffs my 2nd. Took this one off to try out the USTA leagues and tournaments. I'll be back in A-low next season though.

christophertowle
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Biggie, do we know each other?

I play out of Lost Forest. Where do you play league out of?

Chris

BiGGieStuFF
02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Biggie, do we know each other?

I play out of Lost Forest. Where do you play league out of?

Chris

Lee Leclear. I'm on SAP doubles and singles team. I saw your name listed some of the mass emails though. This is my first season playing league though.

christophertowle
02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Are you playing with Daniel and them at 3.5 or at 4.0 with Jason's team? I am playing with Jason on the 4.0 team.

These teams are a lot of fun. It is good to be able to get together such a stroing group of players and not have a bunch of ego clashes.....

BiGGieStuFF
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Are you playing with Daniel and them at 3.5 or at 4.0 with Jason's team? I am playing with Jason on the 4.0 team.

These teams are a lot of fun. It is good to be able to get together such a stroing group of players and not have a bunch of ego clashes.....

I'm on daniel's 4.0 doubles and Jason's 4.0 singles. They are definitely a good group of guys. Unfortunately most of them live pretty far so it's hard to hit with them on a normal basis.

goober
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Well I received another email from some guy named Rich at USTA link. The fee only is for online registration. I refuse to pay over $10 for something I can mail in for less than 50 cents which is what I am going to do from now on.

JLyon
02-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Well I received another email from some guy named Rich at USTA link. The fee only is for online registration. I refuse to pay over $10 for something I can mail in for less than 50 cents which is what I am going to do from now on.

Thanks for the update. the USTA is screwing themselves by charging outrageous fees. I also wonder about the legality of charging different for entrants who use a credit card. I have been under the impression that you're not allowed to charge processing fee. This comes from entering numerous bowling tournaments and this was always noted on entry forms that they could not charge excess fees.

oldguysrule
02-28-2007, 07:30 AM

Could you be more specific with what this fee is compared with last year?

Last year we had the tournament entry fee and the link fee. Are you saying that in addition to those two fees, we now have a $10 processing fee for signing up online? Is that true for every tournament?

TheGreatestAudia
02-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Yep. The fee went up.

www.flextennis.com

Have you tried the K-Swiss League? (ultimatetennis.com)

goober
02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Could you be more specific with what this fee is compared with last year?

Last year we had the tournament entry fee and the link fee. Are you saying that in addition to those two fees, we now have a $10 processing fee for signing up online? Is that true for every tournament?

This is the first time I have encoutered this and I have played a tournament already in 2007 with a $3 link fee and that was it. So I don't know if this is standard from now or not, but I am fed up enough that I will just mail in my entry check or maybe just stop playing in them.

christophertowle
02-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I have not heard about the K-swiss league. From their webpage it sounds similar flextennis.

Have you tried it?

Do they have a list of where they have leagues?

Chris

goober
02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Heh I sent off another email complaining about paying $10 to register for a $28 tournament. This time I get another email asking which tournament; they are going to investigate. Now that the tournament website miraculously says the entry fees are $38. That's feckin joke. To top it off the draw is small and last year they were playing 8 game pro sets which means I will probably pay $38 to play two 8 game pro sets.

10sguy
02-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Are y'all sure USTA is to blame for the extra $$$? Could be it's the tourney. The new Active dot com thingy will probably result in somewhat higher costs but not THAT much - at least I don't think so.

goober
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah it is probably the tourney, because USTA says their link fees are set at $3 so the tourney added the extra charge. The tourney probably just took out the nonrefundable processing fee part and just raised the cost $10. Oh well.

JLyon
03-01-2007, 05:26 AM
Yeah it is probably the tourney, because USTA says their link fees are set at $3 so the tourney added the extra charge. The tourney probably just took out the nonrefundable processing fee part and just raised the cost $10. Oh well.

Goober I would file a complaint with USTA if it is a sanctioned tournament. We had to turn in an entry form with all fees and everything back in October for CY 2007. I do not believe tournaments can come in and change their entry fees after entries have already been recieved.

jimmycoop
03-12-2007, 06:43 AM
The number of people playing tournaments in our area has been dropping the last couple of years. Talk on the courts mentions the increase in fees as a major reason (along with the frustration of "sandbagging"). This leads to a couple of questions: (1) Does the USTA even care what players think, i.e., is it worthwhile to commuicate our frustration? (2) Can you actually bypass the USTA tennis link fee by mailing in or dropping off your registration? I thought that only online registration is allowed.

Tennis-cheaper than therapy and more effective.

goober
03-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow I guess complaining does work. I just received a $10 check in the mail from the TD. Not only that I got free entry into the next tourney for winning my division!