PDA

View Full Version : How to pre-stretch strings?

HT
03-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I strung my PS 6.0 85 with NRG2 18g at 62# on a drop weight. I noticed during stringing that it was very soft and waxy. Afterward, it felt like 55#. Even though it play much better then kevlar, the string moves way too much. If I can string it at 70-60s, it would be perfect. I'm getting a batch of natural gut and more NRG2 coming in a few days.

Please help!
Do I need to pre-stretch these string before?
How do go about pre-stretching them?

Thanks

Match-Point
03-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Yes I would pre-strecth NRG2 or any soft multi. Here is how i do it:

After a doing a quick inspection on the strings with the coil tie on, snip off the string ends, cut the tie and slide the coil over one arm allowing the string to uncoil on its own. Take one string end and loop it around a small pulley (minimum 2 inch) that is securely anchored to a wall. One may use a secure fixture as a pulley, making sure that the string contact surface is smooth, rounded and relatively friction-free to avoid damaging the strings. Pull the string through the pulley as you slowly back up and the coil unwinds. At around the string set's midpoint, clamp each string end with a starting clamp. You may also use your machine's removable clamps for this purpose. Get a good grip on each clamped string end with both arms outstretched in front of you and the string pulled taut. Stand sideways as an archer would and pull one end of the string toward you as if drawing a bow. Hold for about a minute or so, then release. Repeat with the other end. What this pre-stretching technique does is that it cuts the stretching distance in half, pulls the string in one direction at a time and reduces, if not eliminates, the unnecessary stress on the middle part of the string that's in contact with the pulley, something that occurs when both string ends are pulled at the same time. It requires less energy to pull, and it's also safer. If the string breaks or slips through the clamps during the pre-stretching process, you are in a better position to keep your balance and avoid getting hit by string and arm recoil.

Hope this helps.

HT
03-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks Match-point, I probably need to visualized this a couple of time before I try it. I don't have access to a pulley, so I'll it on a door nob. I'm not too worry about stressing the middle of the string, since I usually do a two piece stringing anyway.

What do you think about reducing a grip size using sand paper? I have one PS 6.0 85 at 4 3/8 and two at 4 1/2. I play so much better with the 3/8, more topspin and crosscourt. The larger grips tends to give me arm trouble. So, would this totally change the balance of my racquet? What do you think?

David Pavlich
03-12-2004, 08:33 PM
If you have room, tie off one end on a solid object like a door knob and carefully uncoil the string. Take as much of the twist out before pulling by rolling the string in your fingers.

I use a piece of 2X2 wood about 5" long with a 1/4" hole drilled through the center as a grip. Thread the end of the string through the hole and grab it with a starting clamp and pull. Keep your head turned away in case the tied off end comes loose.

David

HT
03-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks David, I'm going to string on of the racquet tomorrow with either all natural gut, all TiMo 18, or a hybrid or gut Mains and Timo crosses. I tried the NRG2 18g on one of my racquet, and I literally love it compared to the Ashaway crossfire 18. So much feel, playability and spin. I neither thought string could make me play this good. But I didn't pre-stretch the string so it not at the right tension.

I'll try your technique although I don't have 2X2 wood device. I was thinking, I clamp down the string and wrap it around maybe twice and the other end lodge against a door knob. Then lean my weight against it for about 30-60 seconds. what do you think?

Have you tried any of these strings combo? What do you think about them?

bcaz
03-12-2004, 11:46 PM
These fellows have made excellent suggestions. I've used the pulley method, learned on these boards, with good results. I'm tempted to stretch the entire 40 feet in one segment , but I haven't tried yet. I'd probably have to go outside to do it, and since I've been using nat gut, I don't want to get it wet or dirty.

Hit 'em clean
03-13-2004, 08:52 AM
I've always just gone outside to do it....provided it's not wet, etc. I just tie off one end to the railing on my porch and walk to the sidewalk and pull gently leaning away and holding for about 15-20 seconds and then possibly pulling a second time. It looks a little silly to the neighbors, but prefer this as it evenly applies the pull to the whole length of the string. If you gently lean away you can pull more evenly and better sense the stress on the string.

Gaines Hillix
03-14-2004, 07:22 AM
The methods described are right on. However, I was tought by my certification tester that one needs to pull quite hard(really lean into it) on the string for 45-60 secs. to have the right effect.

David Pavlich
03-14-2004, 07:25 PM
I've always just gone outside to do it....provided it's not wet, etc. I just tie off one end to the railing on my porch and walk to the sidewalk and pull gently leaning away and holding for about 15-20 seconds and then possibly pulling a second time. It looks a little silly to the neighbors, but prefer this as it evenly applies the pull to the whole length of the string. If you gently lean away you can pull more evenly and better sense the stress on the string.

Good stuff! When I get an overflow at the shop, I bring a couple frames home. My prestretching is accomplished the same way...on the porch. I tried from the back door through the dining room and into the living room but had to open the front door for the last couple of feet.

Luckily, my shop is about 46' from the front door to the back wall, so I can do the whole thing indoors.

David