PDA

View Full Version : GLIDING CLAMP SYSTEM? IS THIS A SOUND STRINING METHOD?

stevens
03-11-2004, 09:58 AM
I just purchased a gliding clamp system for $200. I wondering if this is a good method for clamping. I know it beats the flying clamps but not fixed. Anyone know a thing or two about this? Thanks

HT
03-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I like the glide clamps more than the fixed clamps. It's much quicker to string and convenient. But it also depends on what type of glide clamps you have. I also just purchased an old gliding clamp machine last week. It's the Tenex machine, you can see it on my earlier posting. Have you tried stringing on the machine yet? If you do lose some tension, then try adjusting the clamps or contact tennismachines.com and have them fix it. All in all, I love this machine. Can't wait to string racquets again. :)

Gaines Hillix
03-14-2004, 05:52 AM
stevens, glide bar clamps were the first type of clamp that was attached or fixed to the machine base. They work fine on racquets that aren't exceptionally wide or long or that have fan shaped string patterns. The glide bars and the bottom of the clamps where they attach to the bars need to be cleaned and lubricated regularly. After many years, the bases of the clamps get worn and may not hold well when the clamps are locked. Replacements are getting hard to find. Like HT said, Tennismachines is the best place to get service on these.

stevens
03-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the info, I guess it's always better to start with the more difficult machines then graduate into luxury in a yr or two.