PDA

View Full Version : What would Ivo Karlovic's rating-ranking be if....

Jracer77
02-25-2007, 10:20 PM
What would his rating or ranking be if he only had an average serve. I'm gonna say he would be about a 6.0 player and unranked.

SoBad
02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
He's a 3.5, he used to post his vids on this forum trying to learn a topspin backhand. He never accomplished that, but did manage to develop a decent serve with the help of our forum coaches and went pro shortly thereafter.

Elenkov
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
i watched him practice for the first time in the indoor courts of the club i teach at(he was practicing for the SAP Open, where he lost in the finals to murray). i watched him for a bit, and was firstly amazed at his size. however, what caught my attention is his inability to keep a rally going. his hitting partner was outperforming him, and i had never seen the guy( his hitting partner ) before.

caulcano
02-26-2007, 02:15 AM
What would his rating or ranking be if he only had an average serve.

not playing tennis. :-D

Andres
02-26-2007, 04:27 AM
With an average serve, he would have worked the gym, and now being a successful power forward playing in the spanish league :p

35ft6
02-26-2007, 04:31 AM
He would probably still be top 200. He does win sets 6-2 (Sanguinetti), 6-3 (Verdasco, Haas, Mirnyi), and even 6-1 (against Chela in 2006) against top 50 opponents, so that means he's good enough to break serves also. His forehand is pretty decent. But yes, he does more or less live and die by his serve.

jaap deboeck
02-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Ivo does not have consistent 6.0 groundstrokes, volleys, and expecially returns. Clearly, IK would not be a viable pro without his only weapon. However, without their best shot, many well known players would be in challengers.

Roddick with Coria's serve would have played Div Ia and then taken a normal job upon retirement. Bit Ivo is a special case with a well below pro game without his monster weapon. Ivanisevic was a far better player than Ivo off the ground.

oscar_2424
02-26-2007, 08:49 AM
With an average serve, he would have worked the gym, and now being a successful power forward playing in the spanish league :p

he might play in the nba dont u think?

baydad
02-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I watched the last 40min. of the game he played against Blake at
SAP Open.

He actually played quite well in addition to his serve. he outplayed James
Blake during that time.

Jracer77
02-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I watched the last 40min. of the game he played against Blake at
SAP Open.

He actually played quite well in addition to his serve. he outplayed James
Blake during that time.

Yes he seemed to show streaks of competence in areas other than the serve throughout the tournament. In fact, he seemed to be better than he's ever been. Unfortunately for him he's already 28 years old (I think) and has been prone to injury.

fastdunn
02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
What would his rating or ranking be if he only had an average serve. I'm gonna say he would be about a 6.0 player and unranked.

He already has an average serve for his height, IMHO.

The Gorilla
02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Why do people always say 'just a serve'?
without his forehand Federer would suffer the same fate as Ferrero.

Jracer77
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
He already has an average serve for his height, IMHO.

So how fast do you think an exceptional server of his height would serve?

DashaandSafin
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
These threads always come up and its always stupid. Where would he be without his serve? I don't know, still pretty damn good though because he does break as 35ft6 indicated. And jappD's comment is ridiculous. Roddick is not as dependent on his serve as Ivo is. Any knowledgeable tennis fan knows that.

Lastly, if we're going to ask stupid questions, we might as well ask where Federer would be without his footwork, Nadal without his speed, Hewitt without his tenacity, Blake w/o his power. The list goes on.

Jracer77
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
These threads always come up and its always stupid. Where would he be without his serve? I don't know, still pretty damn good though because he does break as 35ft6 indicated. And jappD's comment is ridiculous. Roddick is not as dependent on his serve as Ivo is. Any knowledgeable tennis fan knows that.

Lastly, if we're going to ask stupid questions, we might as well ask where Federer would be without his footwork, Nadal without his speed, Hewitt without his tenacity, Blake w/o his power. The list goes on.

Maybe you shouldn't read them then. Simple isn't it?

35ft6
02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
These threads always come up and its always stupid. Where would he be without his serve? I don't know, still pretty damn good though because he does break as 35ft6 indicated. And jappD's comment is ridiculous. Roddick is not as dependent on his serve as Ivo is. Any knowledgeable tennis fan knows that.True. To suggest that Roddick would be D-1 without his serve is incredibly misguided. People don't know how vast the difference in skill level between 6.0 and top 100 is, and D-1 tennis and top 3 in the world is. Take 15mph off Roddick's speed on his first serve and he's still top 25 in the world. His forehand is still nasty even though he doesn't hit it with the same aggression he used to.

You can't become a top 100 pro with a great serve but a 6.0 game. In So Cal opens, the top ranked guys are ATP dudes with rankings around 400. They're above 6.0, but the true 6.0 guys, like the ones who are ranked around 75 to 125 in So Cal, would get pummeled by the likes of Roddick and Karlovic in ground stroke games. Karlovic's movement and groundstrokes might look dubious when they're playing against guys like Safin and Federer, but if you saw them playing 6.0 or D-1 players, you'd think they had the best groundies in the world.

croatian sensation
03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Well, he wouldn't have that serve if he wasn't 6' 10". And if he wasn't that tall he would probably move better, and develop better groundies.

And I agree what 35ft6 said.