PDA

View Full Version : Has Taylor Dent retired?

simi
02-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Reading the weekly tennis ranking report published by steveg, he has a list of "Players Falling Out of the Rankings This Week". At the top of the list for this week is Taylor Dent. He lost the last of his 25 points and his #694 ranking. Has Taylor retired? Or, is he recovering from surgery/injury and been unable to play for the past twelve months?

vascoboy
02-26-2007, 08:34 AM
too bad...kinda liked him...

shrakkie
02-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I didn't think he officially retired. Just has been out due to injuries etc.

dukemunson
02-26-2007, 10:24 AM
he's done...injuries caught up to him...epideral/cortisone shots are nasty...hasnt made it official but he has played his last meaningful matches...too bad...great game to watch

Forehand Forever
02-26-2007, 10:53 AM
I was at Bollettieri two weeks ago and for a week and I saw him there almost every day.

sureshs
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Dent brings up an interesting point. It is generally believed that baseliners are prone to injury due to their running and long rallies, while serve and volleyers are more efficient in winning points. What do you make of Dent then?

dukemunson
02-26-2007, 11:51 AM
he had back problems throughout the juniors and they simply continued...speaking in generalities baseliners break down quicker but obviousaly case by case examples differentiate

DashaandSafin
02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Dent brings up an interesting point. It is generally believed that baseliners are prone to injury due to their running and long rallies, while serve and volleyers are more efficient in winning points. What do you make of Dent then?

His serve was inefficent. You could tell that he was just trying to rip the ball apart. He was basically trying to outgun his friend Roddick.

MonkeyPox
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Taylor was by far the most interesting American to watch. We'll see if this turns out to be true.

Fedace
02-26-2007, 03:48 PM
he had back problems throughout the juniors and they simply continued...speaking in generalities baseliners break down quicker but obviousaly case by case examples differentiate

He had back problems? did he have surgery on it ?

Fee
02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, Taylor had surgery. No he has not officially retired yet. Last I heard he is still doing physical therapy in the hopes that he can get back on tour at some point. He's working out and doing a little bit of coaching at Bolleterri's in the mean time. A back injury is a very tough thing to come back from, so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an official retirement announcement at the end of the year, but I hope he can get healthy again. I hate to see serve and volleyers disappear completely.

Bjorn99
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
His game was hilarious. Really. Stupider than what his father used to play like apparently. And Phil Dent apparently was the stupidest tennis player in the last fifty years according to anyone who remembers him.

VikingSamurai
02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
His game was hilarious. Really. Stupider than what his father used to play like apparently. And Phil Dent apparently was the stupidest tennis player in the last fifty years according to anyone who remembers him.

Huh?...........

Eviscerator
02-26-2007, 09:58 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

morten
02-26-2007, 11:56 PM

S&V is very hard on the body, constant scrambling to get those balls back, twisting, turning, IMO you need to be more athletic to play S&V than at the baseline(more stamina at baseline of course)

VikingSamurai
02-27-2007, 12:38 AM
S&V is very hard on the body, constant scrambling to get those balls back, twisting, turning, IMO you need to be more athletic to play S&V than at the baseline(more stamina at baseline of course)

Morten, I agree with you mostly here. But I grew up in a tropical climate in Brisbane Australia, and very hot, long, humid summers is something that I was always used to..

I was, back in the day, a S &V'er with the ability to play an all court game.

In saying that. I didnt mess about much, but if needed, I could hit as hard and as long with the best of them. I also enjoyed hot weather, and found that I won alot of my matches because of that.. Hotter and more humid the better..

Although I grew up playing on grass and ampbed(antbed), I played and practiced most of my time on a pretty rough old hard court. And in saying that my biggest problem was not fatigue, but with concentration, and my desire to get to the net was what I struggled with!.. It wasnt the fact that I had to run back and forth, it was the fact that I got bored pretty darn easy with what was going on.

So I guess after all that diatribe. Everyone is different, and you cant just label people as this or that?

Edit here.. I will also attest that I was very lucky, as although I took my matches very seriously. I was a very lazy practicer and didnt do an awful lot to prepare. I never stretched, and simply just walked on to play. I in all my memory, never had an injury or a twinge.. I am not saying this to say that I am a hero or something. But it just shows that different people are just different..

morten
02-27-2007, 03:12 AM
Morten, I agree with you mostly here. But I grew up in a tropical climate in Brisbane Australia, and very hot, long, humid summers is something that I was always used to..

I was, back in the day, a S &V'er with the ability to play an all court game.

In saying that. I didnt mess about much, but if needed, I could hit as hard and as long with the best of them. I also enjoyed hot weather, and found that I won alot of my matches because of that.. Hotter and more humid the better..

Although I grew up playing on grass and ampbed(antbed), I played and practiced most of my time on a pretty rough old hard court. And in saying that my biggest problem was not fatigue, but with concentration, and my desire to get to the net was what I struggled with!.. It wasnt the fact that I had to run back and forth, it was the fact that I got bored pretty darn easy with what was going on.

So I guess after all that diatribe. Everyone is different, and you cant just label people as this or that?

Edit here.. I will also attest that I was very lucky, as although I took my matches very seriously. I was a very lazy practicer and didnt do an awful lot to prepare. I never stretched, and simply just walked on to play. I in all my memory, never had an injury or a twinge.. I am not saying this to say that I am a hero or something. But it just shows that different people are just different..
i dont get your point, great story though. I know what you mean by consentration and S&V but opposite to you i get bored staying back... when i move to the net, i cant be bored, and the whole court opens up , for me...

VikingSamurai
02-27-2007, 03:21 AM
I guess what I am trying to say is that being a S & V'er has no baring on what kind of physical player you are, or has anything to do with injuries ect?.. Sorry for taking the long winded rout..

DashaandSafin
02-27-2007, 04:13 AM

Dear Bjorn,

Nothing is more hilarious than your posts. I get a kick out of it every day while I browse the daily news. You're in my favorites. Keep up the good work!

Love,
D&S

dukemunson
02-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Your an idiot...guy made it to 20 in the world with serious deficiencies in his game...no one is ever going to post his name on a most talented debate (or most 100 talented while he played) yet the guy maximized his game and had a solid career. That serve was eating up his back...

The Gorilla
02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
He had a 151 mph serve!
He had beautiful volleys!
Not talented!?!?!

hoosierbr
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
TD is certainly very talented and has great touch around the net but I've never understood why he didn't take his fitness as seriously as he should have? I'd like to think some of these injuries could have been prevented if he made the effort to lose weight and stay fit.

dukemunson
02-27-2007, 11:44 AM
herniated discs...tough to prevent or treat regardless of fitness. Never said he wasnt talented, just that there are a lot of guys much more talented then him that never made top 25 in the world (and stayed there consistently). Obviousaly he is quite talented...

hoosierbr
02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
True but being consistently overweight doesn't help.

prince
02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
he probably opened up his own pizza place and is really busy.....

tenis
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
To heavy upper body for a pro tennis player, just like a Gimelstop ( and not to athlethic also).

BlackSheep
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
He should retire....
Btw was he ever any good?

Moose Malloy
02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
from jon wertheim:

Blake Edwards of Olathe, Kan., writes: "Today I took my USPTA tennis exam, and the other person who happen to be taking it with me was none other than Taylor Dent. How surprised was I, living in Kansas City, Mo., and Taylor walks in the door. Injured, and done with the tour to my surprise, I had the luxury to spend the day with him.

"I must say, he is one of the classiest human beings I have come across. I talked with him about simple subjects, as did he to me. It was refreshing to meet a player that I held in high regard as a talented American sportsman. I wanted to somehow put this out there, that he will be missed, and I wish him well, as does my former college team on his marriage to Jenny Hopkins. What a classy cat."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/02/27/mailbag/2.html

rfprse
03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I wonder what kind of exam he took and why.
He wouldn't need a uspta credential to get a teaching/coaching job, would he?

fastdunn
03-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I hope he could rehab and try the tour one more time.
ATP condition might turn quicker and slightly more favorable to
volleyers, I hope...

357sig
03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
he is retired, he will be teaching at the Los Caballeros tennis club with his dad in Fountain Valley CA they are starting an tennis academy threre soon , his daddy, Phil is a pro there for aboout a year or so now,

hoosierbr
03-05-2007, 11:10 PM
You can read about the Dent Tennis Academy on the club's website.

Phil gives private lessons and I assume Taylor will too at some point. Being in Southern Cal I may have to check that out. Could always use some polishing up on my volleys.

http://www.loscab.com/dent_academy2.html

Boja
03-06-2007, 07:55 PM
It would be a shame if he retired so early in his short career. I got to take a picture with him back in 2004 in Toronto, nice guy, very approachable. And his game was interesting to watch. Who knows, maybe he can make it back, I wish him the best of luck.

NamRanger
03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
His serve had way too much back arching, it finally caught up to him.

AndrewD
03-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Pat Cash .

pj80
03-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Reading the weekly tennis ranking report published by steveg, he has a list of "Players Falling Out of the Rankings This Week". At the top of the list for this week is Taylor Dent. He lost the last of his 25 points and his #694 ranking. Has Taylor retired? Or, is he recovering from surgery/injury and been unable to play for the past twelve months?

he got shot in a drive-by in compton.

Serendipitous
11-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I hope he could rehab and try the tour one more time.
ATP condition might turn quicker and slightly more favorable to
volleyers, I hope...

Yes, he is back. :)