PDA

View Full Version : Pete Sampras VS Brad Gilbert

hyperwarrior
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
For the people who never saw Brad Gilbert played.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MFIE7WSLXvw&mode=related&search=

The Gorilla
02-26-2007, 08:41 AM
it's hilarious, he was exactly the same player, in every way as andy murray, just a little better!

shrakkie
02-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Gilbert has BIG hair!

Samp was hitting the backhand suprisingly well in that match. First time for everything and all that.

fastdunn
02-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Sampras' backhand was better than his forehand in his early days...

!Tym
02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
There was talk back then of Sampras' backhand the best one-hander in the game back then. That obviously changed as he got older. It happens, heck it even happened to me. My backhand used to be my best shot, but somewhere along the way it went down the tubes and I'm not sure why. It kind of just happened, and then my forehand became my most dynamic shot.

araghava
02-26-2007, 10:57 AM
The Sampras serve motion was a little simpler in those days. There wasn't as much shoulder rotation and he seems to face the court a little more.

35ft6
02-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I saw Gilbert warming Agassi up for the US Open final versus Todd Martin. I saw Todd warm up, too, very methodically, practicing every shot, for over an hour with Jose Higueras.

Agassi on the other hand, comes out, blasts groundstrokes, hits some serves, some overheads, and is off the court in about 20 minutes.

Andre hits much harder in practice then in matches. The pace of his shots is just ridiculous. The way he uses his upper body, the torque he generates is insane. And if Gilbert didn't have to move, he could get Agassi's shots back with little problem. The guy can ball. He's a junk baller for a pro, but in our world he would be considered a power player.

caesar66
02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
i thought Murray was mopey, i guess gilbert would be a hypocrite to try to get him to work on that.

Viper
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
LOL, he even looks like Murray to an extent.

Eviscerator
02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Samp was hitting the backhand suprisingly well in that match. First time for everything and all that.

:roll: :roll:

bluetrain4
02-26-2007, 10:15 PM
God, I miss that era in tennis. I just feel like the overall quality, variety in styles was better. Of course I'm biased towards what I grew up with.

DarkSephiroth
02-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Announcer says "The backhand is his best shot" about Sampras. LoL =D

Max G.
02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, back then it was true. He hit some nice backhands in that match, and apparently it wasn't unusual for him back then.

Azzurri
02-27-2007, 06:17 AM
God, I miss that era in tennis. I just feel like the overall quality, variety in styles was better. Of course I'm biased towards what I grew up with.

I know what you mean. Back then I could watch all sorts of players. Now its Fed, Safin and a couple others. Not only were there more styles (Becker, Edberg...both considered SV, but not the same type players.), but some personality.

Azzurri
02-27-2007, 06:18 AM

I seriously forgot how well Pete hit his backhand back then. I don't really believe his back hand got worse...his forhand just got so good.

Ten_is
02-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Sampras is amazing. Especially at the serve and volley approach. Backhands were amazing.. this clip is great. Thanks for sharing.

whistleway
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh crap.. gilbert is crap.. he looks and acts just like brat murray too :(

lordmanji
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
its great to see sampras before he lost his groundstrokes at the end of his career. also, its great to see brad gilbert for the first time. his strokes arent as bad as many have made it out to be.

laurie
02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah, very nice clips Hyperwarrior, cheers.

Brad Gilbert's hair - he reminds me of the Hair Bear Bunch.

lambielspins
02-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Yeah that is pretty funny. :p His backhand was never anywhere near as good as his serve, forehand, or volleys.

araghava
02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
It's fairly obvious that none of the commentators know much about Sampras. He came out of nowhere to win the us open that year. It would take another year or so before folks started understanding his game.

fastdunn
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah that is pretty funny. :p His backhand was never anywhere near as good as his serve, forehand, or volleys.

No, that's not true. Up until mid-90's, his backhand wasn't worse than
his forehand and he had mediocre volleys (compared to his forehand and
volleys of his 2nd half of 6 year prime). At one time, the late Arthur Ashe
refered some of Sampras' volleys as "gabbage".

Sampras was just adequate volleyer in 90's. He never was natural aggressive
volleyer. His was just a placement volley for a ponit he already 99% won.
There were handful of players in 90's who volleyed better and aggressively
than Sampras did.

Boy, this board must be full of teenagers who has watched tennis no more
than 3 years....

lambielspins
02-27-2007, 01:56 PM
No, that's not true. Up until mid-90's, his backhand wasn't worse than
his forehand and he had mediocre volleys (compared to his forehand and
volleys of his 2nd half of 6 year prime). At one time, the late Arthur Ashe
refered some of Sampras' volleys as "gabbage".

Sampras was just adequate volleyer in 90's. He never was natural aggressive
volleyer. His was just a placement volley for a ponit he already 99% won.
There were handful of players in 90's who volleyed better and aggressively
than Sampras did.

Boy, this board must be full of teenagers who has watched tennis no more
than 3 years....

I watched tennis in the early 90s and I dont agree with your opinion. You are ignorant to say somebody who does not think Sampras had a great backhand in the early 90s did not watch tennis back then. I did and he didnt have a great backhand, end of story.

fastdunn
02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
It's around mid-90's when Sampras added a bit of top-spin
(under Tim Gulikson) and really made his forehand potent
weapon.

But I think players did feed lots of high rollers toward Sampras'
backhand since it's an innate limitation of one handed backhand.
(much like Nadal's feeding loopers toward Federer's backhand).

In early 90's, however, Sampras backhand was steadier than
his forehand which often became erratic...

lambielspins
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
weapon.

Sampras's forehand was always erratic. It still is a great forehand but he always made too many unforced errors off the forehand for it to ever be considered in the league of Federer or Lendl for example. I dont that as his forehand being any different then later years.

I agree his backhand was steadier in the early 90s then later on but it was never a spectacular or deadly shot, and it certainly was not the best in the game ever.

AndrewD
02-27-2007, 03:37 PM
One of the amazing things about that video is that Mary Carillo is commentating but you don't hear much from her. Guess she needed Stolle to keep her in line (quiet) and Drysdale needed Stolle to keep him sane.

I do believe that it was a slip of the tongue on Stolle's part and he didn't actually mean to say that Sampras's backhand was his better shot.

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
ahhh, this good old court without the double lines...... :)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1070021&highlight=court+unique#post1070021
... and this good old young pete sampras ! ;)

that day, it was rather losing ugly for gilbert... :rolleyes:
well, ok : with a cute gran slam cup cheque for the runner-up ! ;)

!Tym
02-27-2007, 03:52 PM
weapon.

Hmm, actually, I don't think that it's necessarily that much of a limitation for a great one-hander. Korda had a very flat, traditional backhand but his held up against a greater variety of shot trajectories, spins, and paces than Sampras'...so too did Stich's who's backhand also held up very well against heavy topspin despite very traditional mechanics. Sampras on the other hand needed more optimal conditions for his backhand to excel with it I thought.

Also, Muster was able to muster more topspin with a one-handed backhand and handle heavy topspin to his backhand than anyone I've ever seen pound for pound. It's just insane. I've never seen anyone be able to launch a truly high bouncing topspin moonball with pace the way he could, it's not even close between him and anyone else I've ever seen with a one-hander. He really doesn't get enough credit, look at the Youtube clips against Bruguera, and name one person who could smack so much topspin back with a one-hander. He handles it like nothing. Kuerten was great at that too, but Kuerten actually hit a flatter backhand than Muster and was a very tall and lanky guy. Muster was very stocky and not that tall, so it was easy to get balls REALLY high on him to his backhand. But he'd just hunker down, plant, and then WHAIL at the ball with one-hand. I distinctly remember PMac being amazed by this ability, and that you had to be there live to appreciate how unbelievably well this guy could handle high bouncing topsin to his backhand with one-hand, and that it was almost unbelievable and surreal because no one else in the world could do that like it were nothing like him.

And it's not that he's physically strong either, I've seen physically strong one-handers just crumble to anything high to their backhand. He was a freak of nature in this way, but never got any credit for having one of the best one-handers in the game just because Muster was Muster, and guys who look and play like him, people tend to dismiss talent as just being a byproduct of hard work.

Pioline's the other guy who I thought was very adept at being able to handle high balls with a one-hander. Srichiphan is an example of someone who isn't.

Pound for pound Arazi is also up there for his size at being able to handle high balls to his backhand despite having a less extreme grip than Pioline and so much shorter/frailer of build.

AndrewD
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Sampras on the other hand needed more optimal conditions for his backhand to excel with it I thought..

Tym,

I think that's because it was a more mechanical shot than his forehand, due to him having switched to a single-handed backhand from his original double-hander. Technically, his backhand was a very correct shot, but certainly wasn't what you'd call free flowing - a la Kuerten, Edberg, Korda, Henin, Pioline or Mauresmo - and not the sort of shot you could improvise with.

I think that's why Stefan Edberg's forehand, incredibly ugly though it was, didn't break down under pressure or as he got older. Despite being a funky looking shot it was completely natural.

tennistomcat
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
nice clip. gilbert was getting owned in nearly all of those points. good to see him play again though - his style was ---- different. haha

samej07
02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
holy crap! Sampras hadn't even won a match a Wimbledon when he won his first open! pretty crazy for someone who would go on to win what, 7 Wimby's if im not mistaken. (Plz correct me if i am) :o

stormholloway
02-27-2007, 09:04 PM

It's not bias; it's truth. It seems like there is more thought put into shots. Mindless bashing is the name of the game these days. It's easy and it pays off.