PDA

View Full Version : rib pain/discomfort

lendl lives
03-11-2004, 10:13 AM
recently i've noticed i have this rib pain or discomfort really. i notice a pain in my left mid rib section at times when i breath or move in certain ways. anyone know what this is and how i can get rid of it. its been bothering me for a couple of days now. again its not intense pain or anything more of discomfort (ie i can play through it).
tks!!!!!!!

lendl lives
03-11-2004, 10:15 AM
could doing curls with dumbels (25lbs each) cause this? now that i thing about it i remeber having this pain before and i think it was after lifting weights w/o warming up. i'm not sure though.....serve motion maybe?

James Brown
03-11-2004, 12:17 PM
its most likely posture related. Im no expert, but i had similar pain to what youre describing. i noticed (after living with the pain for a while) that i had my upper body shifted to my left. kinda slouching to the left. I straightened myself up and pain seems to dissapear. You could also have gotten like a stich or pulled a muscle dealy. Take a break from lifting and right your posture, see if it works. Cheers

lendl lives
03-11-2004, 12:26 PM
james,

as i was reading your post i noticed i was slouching to the left...tks for the post.

lendl lives
03-16-2004, 11:56 AM
boy this pain hasn't gone away yet and its been a week. i guess i'll stop playing for a week and if it doesn't get better go to the doc. could it be a respiratory issue? the pain comes and goes and it is focused on the lower left rib cage.

Mike Hughes
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Is this pain sharp, dull, or an ache? Is it in the front or the back of your body? Does it get aggravated with taking a breath in? Does any specific arm movement bother it?

lendl lives
03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Well it got worse yesterday and was more a pain than discomfort. Today it feels better. For some reason it hurts more at night while I'm at home than during the day when I'm at work. Seems more sensitive at home. It can hurt with simple movement or stretching. If sensitive it can hurt at the end of a large exhale. For example right now at in the am it doesn't hurt I can barely feel it. If I do a high toss motion right now I can feel a discomfort. I would say when it is sensitive it is a sharp pain. Someone said it had happen to them before and that it takes a long while to recover a month or so. The pain is on the front left lower rib cage area. If it is some kind of pull i could see how it could happen on a two handed backhand shot or service toss.

lendl lives
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
based on a book i just got from the library it sounds like a rib strain....

Mike Hughes
03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Pain due to rib sprain is usually located either where the ribs meet the spine (costovertebral and/or costotransverse articulation), or where the rib meets the cartilage in the front (costochondral junction). From what you are describing, it sounds more like a strain or dysfunction of the serratus anticus muscle, latissimus dorsi muscle, or one of the abdominals - most likely one of the obliques.

lendl lives
03-25-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure how I got it. It started out as a slight disomfort. Then progressed to a pain since I played through it. I practiced serving one night for a couple of hours, something I hadn't done since coming back to tennis (and physical activity) about five months ago. I think this is what aggrivated it the most. Now it's only a little discomforting when I make a high service toss motion, I can feel it just under the bottom left ribs close to the center of the chest. It feels way better now thankfully. I've been treating it with ice and massage.

Mike Hughes
03-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Sounds like an abdominal muscle strain causing either localised muscle spasm, or muscle weakness. Best thing to do would be to see a qualified applied kinesiologist, and maybe a massage therapist. Otherwise, you could try cross-fibre treatment of the muscle origin and insertion yourself.