PDA

View Full Version : Swimming as conditioning

IceBlue
09-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Hey everyone! What are your thoughts on using swimming for conditioning? The college I'm at has a great olympic sized pool open to anyone to use, and I thought maybe it would be good to do laps or something. I guess I'm not sure if that would be very beneficial or not? Thanks for any help. :D

goober
09-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Well any conditioning is better than no conditioning, but I doubt that swimming conditioning translates well to Tennis conditioning because different muscle groups are utilized. I think you would be better off with straight running or some type of aerobics.

If you want tennis specific conditioning you can try this link which has a pretty hard workout, but you can make it easier.

http://tenniscampsaustralia.com/modules/conditioning/

Craig Sheppard
09-04-2004, 09:46 PM
IceBlue,

I would certainly so go for it! Swimming is an excellent total-body conditioning exercise. It especially benefits the upper body and shoulders, which are used extensively in tennis. Strengthened shoulders will help prevent injury especially during serves. It is also easy on the joints, so you'll get the benefits without a lot of the impact of ground-based exercises. The only downside I've heard about swimming is it tends not to burn as much fat as weight-bearing sports such as running or cycling. It may have to do with the bouyancy. Of course I wouldn't say swimming as your ONLY conditioning would vastly improve your tennis, but mixing it in with other activities would be awesome.

Craig

IceBlue
09-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the help! :wink:

degreefanlindi
09-05-2004, 01:19 PM
I've heard many coaches mention swimming as a teriffic conditioning sport for tennis players. It's great for aerobic fitness and conditioning and cross training is always useful. Swimming is good for both your arm and leg muscles, mostly used in tennis. Take advantage of your college's pool!

tennis*bill
09-09-2004, 09:32 AM
I would agree the swimming is a great upper body workout, and if done properly, the legs get a workout as well. I can feel it from my upper thighs into my stomach when I increase my effort level. The swimming is a big help for the shoulder. I find that my shoulders are much looser when I'm swimming constantly during the summer months. That translates into easier serving for me!

Big D
09-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Sorry goober, swimming is as good or better than running as conditioning for tennis. Neither works out the legs for quick movements needed in tennis but at least swimming is much better for your joints. This is especially important for many Americans that get enough pounding from playing on hard courts. If one prefers to run, try to run on treadmills or grass to extend the life of your joints.

VictorS.
09-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Besides swimming, there are a number of other exercises that can be done in the pool. For example, when I sprained my ankle a few years ago, a fitness trainer told me I could stay in shape by doing deep-water jogging. This requires a floatation belt and obviously a pool with a deep end. It has many of the same positive effects of land jogging, however it's beneficial in that you don't experience the normal wear and tear from running on land.

Although, I've never really tried it...I've heard you can do plyometrics in water as well.

BSousa
09-15-2004, 06:47 AM
IceBlue,

I would certainly so go for it! Swimming is an excellent total-body conditioning exercise. It especially benefits the upper body and shoulders, which are used extensively in tennis. Strengthened shoulders will help prevent injury especially during serves. It is also easy on the joints, so you'll get the benefits without a lot of the impact of ground-based exercises. The only downside I've heard about swimming is it tends not to burn as much fat as weight-bearing sports such as running or cycling. It may have to do with the bouyancy. Of course I wouldn't say swimming as your ONLY conditioning would vastly improve your tennis, but mixing it in with other activities would be awesome.

Craig

Actually it is because you don't raise your temperature alot when underwater, thus metabolism doesn't raise, which is the main reson running and other sports are good for fat loss as it raises the metabolism thorughtout the day.

Bruno

WimblGooner
09-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Definately is good for you and the tennis for all the reasons people mention. Plus, you can make it more tennis specific by doing shorter quicker bursts, then resting, then going again, which is what you'd be looking for in a tennis match - short explosive energy and movement. I read this somewhere and totally makes sense. I do like to do the slow endurance swim, but this isn't congruent with the way you use your body for tennis, so I make sure I mix it up now. Note, I read this info from expert coaching advice on a website, i think it was from here http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/

VictorS.
09-30-2004, 11:14 PM
I might be reaching, but I think swimming might be more similar to tennis than one might think. Obviously the eye-hand coordination required in tennis, is not as important in swimming. However, swimmers develop very strong upper and lower back muscles. In addition they have very strong torsos, much like many top tennis players. And the stroking motions in swimming are not totally unlike the service motion in tennis in addition to the groundstrokes. Like in tennis, technique in swimming is paramount. Without proper technique, you can forget about swimming fast times. In tennis, it is very difficult to hit the ball cleanly and with pace, without proper mechanics.