PDA

View Full Version : 50% polyester / 50% cotton t-shirts

palikero
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
hi, I found a site that's selling 50% polyester/50% cotton plain t-shirts for a good price..

has anyone played in 50%poly/50% cotton t-shirts before?
do they wick away sweat well enough (obviously not as well as 100% polyester shirts)??

I'm assuming they wear simliarly to the Nike Spring Core shirts :
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMSCTT.html
But the Nike Spring Core shirts are 62% cotton, 38% polyester... so the Nike shirt actually is WORSE at wicking away sweat.. am I right??

thanks

psamp14
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
i'm not going to try to be an expert on what kind of shirt wicks away more sweat but that shirt you posted with the link isnt really supposed to be a match play shirt...its more like a practice tee or a shirt which can be worn casually

thejackal
02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
i like those shirts for slightly cooler weather or indoors.

tursafinov
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Are you talking about my friend who can "Stick it Wear" he wants with a $10 Safin shirt?

~Tursa

EDIT: If you don't get the pun we're not thinking of the same site, but he is on myspace.

palikero
02-27-2007, 07:14 AM
No, I found a site that just sells graphicless, colored 50%poly/50%cotton t-shirts for like 3 bucks per shirt.

I wanted to ask anyone who has worn both the Nike Spring Core Tshirt http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMSCTT.html .. and a plain normal 50%poly/50% cotton Tshirt.. How do they wear compared to each other?? Which one would you prefer?

Obviously, I know that both are NOT really for match play, just for practice/hitting around. But I wanted to know how a
62% cotton/38% poly Nike shirt feels versus a 50%poly/50% cotton much cheaper shirt.

bad_call
02-27-2007, 07:36 AM
hola palikero - if both weaves are about the same and thread size too then should be very similar. at that price it's worth a go.

127 mph
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Coton/Poly blends are great they wick moisture well and are comfortable. I have heard that the performance of poly can vary, it is how the material is woven that is more important than just being poly as most performance clothes are made of poly. I also think that pure poly shirts can stink more if you have played and sweated for sometime. Proper care for poly based clothes is important as well as I believe that you should not use fabric softner in the washer or the dryer, and that some static can actually help the performance of the shirt.

sloe_torture
02-28-2007, 05:49 PM
127 mph...

I do agree with the stink factor of polyester knits. I'd like to know if it's because natural fibers like cotton do a better job at absorbing detergent and fabric softener odors.

Question: What's the benefit of not using fabric softeners when washing polyester clothes?

palikero
02-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Question: What's the benefit of not using fabric softeners when washing polyester clothes?

Supposedly Fabric softeners clog up the weave (or pores) of the polyester fabric, which needs to have open pores so it can allow sweat to evaporate quickly. In short, fabric softeners hinder the sweat-wicking properties of poly shirts.

thefan
02-28-2007, 09:46 PM
hey palikero, at 3 dollars why not get it a try? I have the spring core t shirt and its better for cooler days or just casual wear.
Also, if you dont mind, could you tell me where u get poly/cotton 50/50 for 3 dollars?

palikero
03-05-2007, 02:21 PM
wow, so I got a couple 50/50 blend shirts..
they feel great for cooler days!
they wick sweat away, but still keep you cooler than full polyester shirts (great for early spring, late autumn hit-arounds)

I found a ton of them on sale at my local Rag Shop, while on sale for almost $3 a shirt.. not bad for a shirt Nike charges nearly $25 for just for their "design" ;-)