PDA

View Full Version : Any Mikael Pernfors fans

bluetrain4
02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
A largely forgotten Swede, but I loved how he played. Very tricky and quick. Very fun to watch.

Two time NCAA singles Champ, french open Finalist, and won the Canadian Masters Series tourney late in his career (7 titles overall).

Also, blew a 6-1, 6-1, 4-1 lead to Connors at Wimbledon.

bluetrain4
02-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Make that 3 titles overall

MIRO_1975
02-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey, I really liked to see him playing!!!!

Unfortunately there are no pics (especially of the 1987-1992-era) available in the WWW.

Just searched for some pics with his clothing of danish company HUMMEL.

Still have the final of Roland Garros 1986 vs. Ivan Lendl and the AO 1990 vs. McEnroe (his disqualification) on video...

Ted Ghost Shackley
02-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Pernfors had an exciting Bjorkmanesque game. I think Bjorkman must have watched him as he learned the game. Pernfors and Wilander started a company in the early nineties, Global Caps. If you want a cap with your country's flag, check out their website.

ne1410is
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
i remember mikael! i had a sega genesis game called ATP tour tennis. he was in it. I can hear the computerized voice now, "Peeern...forz, zero" yeah i got real good at that game.

armand
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
i remember mikael! i had a sega genesis game called ATP tour tennis. he was in it. I can hear the computerized voice now, "Peeern...forz, zero" yeah i got real good at that game.That game was F***** awesome! I still have it, still play it sometimes. I actually had to buy another copy of the game(not easy to find) because the battery backup died.

The roster of players in that game was amazing.

And I 'loved' how the computer could return my sure ace with an overhead smash!

Azzurri
03-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Unfortunately there are no pics (especially of the 1987-1992-era) available in the WWW.

Still have the final of Roland Garros 1986 vs. Ivan Lendl and the AO 1990 vs. McEnroe (his disqualification) on video...

You're looking for pics of Pernfors? Go to your closet, pick out any colorful polo shirt, turn up the color, go to the mirror...now you have a pic of Michael Pernfors. I liked his game, but found the way he wore his shirt very annoying. i was in jr high school in the mid 80's and hated that look. Still do.

bad_call
03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
yeah i remember playing in a clay court tourney with him playing on the next court. i really stank that day. i think he wanted to tell me how to beat my opponent but i was in a funk. guess i'm showing my age here...

Azzurri
03-02-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah i remember playing in a clay court tourney with him playing on the next court. i really stank that day. i think he wanted to tell me how to beat my opponent but i was in a funk. guess i'm showing my age here...

how high was his collar?;)

jaggy
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I seem to remember him in Nike, was Hummel before or after? Also he spoke English in a weird georgia/Scandinavian hybrid, "for sure y'all"

bad_call
03-02-2007, 07:05 PM
how high was his collar?;)

not that high. mine was higher.

Azzurri
03-02-2007, 07:08 PM
bad call, Bad Call

johnkidd
03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I was a big Pernfors fan. Actually got to see him play over the summer in Cin'ti in one of the warmup events for the Masters Series tournament. Back when he won the NCAA's, ESPN used to show the finals live. He also won the singles championship for junior colleges both years before he went to UGA.

bad_call
03-02-2007, 08:30 PM
bad call, Bad Call

ha ha! oh come on. it was a fashion thing. i think he was somewhat of a trend setter or something back then. anyway i was a bit taller than him so obviously my collar was 'higher'. hey Mikael r u getting this?

armand
03-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I was a big Pernfors fan. Actually got to see him play over the summer in Cin'ti in one of the warmup events for the Masters Series tournament. Back when he won the NCAA's, ESPN used to show the finals live. He also won the singles championship for junior colleges both years before he went to UGA.NCAA champ actually made a mark on the pro tour? Who else did this? McEnroe, Blake?

bluetrain4
03-02-2007, 11:29 PM
I think Blake was only runner up in the NCAAs.

Although college players have never consisently became champions on tour, it used to be much more common. Not only players who won Slams, but players who had decent, stable careers in the top 50.

Others:

Todd Martin
David Wheaton

AndrewD
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
bluetrain4,

If you're looking for footage of Pernfors are his absolute peak then try to get hold of the 1986 Davis Cup final match he played against Pat Cash. Similar to the Jimmy Connors match but even more shocking because it was here on Cash's home turf at Kooyong, Pernfors was up two sets to love before Cash managed to claw his way back and finally win. Over those first two sets Pernfors played some of the most amazing tennis I've seen on a grass court. Never serve-volleyed, almost never went to the net but every shot he hit was laced with gold.

Duzza
03-03-2007, 12:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9haEDg3ErE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYtyLO9FQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx98OHe4xnk&mode=related&search=

MIRO_1975
03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
You're looking for pics of Pernfors? Go to your closet, pick out any colorful polo shirt

Do you have shirts stored in the closet? Strange!!!

I store them in a wardrobe in the bedroom...

Azzurri
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
ha ha! oh come on. it was a fashion thing. i think he was somewhat of a trend setter or something back then. anyway i was a bit taller than him so obviously my collar was 'higher'. hey Mikael r u getting this?

I remember that fashion thing too well. Has to be one of the worst trends since everyone folded the bottom of their jeans around their ankles...remember? Early 90's.

Azzurri
03-03-2007, 06:57 PM

What? We call the area we keep our clothes a closet..so I always thought. Wardrobe....never. Sounds to Californian. In fact....I looked at my house plans (we built last year) and it states "Walk-in closet"...where we keep our clothes.;)

Amone
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes, I watch his matches whenever I get the chance... but only what I've seen on Senior Tour, haha. I guess that doesn't make me much of a fan in the larger scheme of things.

N23
03-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I remember that fashion thing too well. Has to be one of the worst trends since everyone folded the bottom of their jeans around their ankles...remember? Early 90's.

That would be the 80s. And remember... when it comes to fashion.. everything is in cycles.

Azzurri
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM
That would be the 80s. And remember... when it comes to fashion.. everything is in cycles.

I know..LOL. But he was the only player (that was any good) that I remember wearing his collar up.

AndrewD
03-04-2007, 03:50 AM

Closet and wardrobe are synonyms and are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing (even though they describe the same thing, one is sometimes more appropriate than the other - eg: he's come out of the closet.

You could also call it an Oakley: the Old English name for a wardrobe.

goober
03-04-2007, 07:02 AM

Although college players have never consisently became champions on tour, it used to be much more common. Not only players who won Slams, but players who had decent, stable careers in the top 50.

Others:

Todd Martin
David Wheaton

Here's a list of past NCAA champs. I don't see Wheaton or Martin on this list although I am sure they did very well in college. If you look at the 80's and 90s and 2000+ not too many names really made a big mark on the ATP tour.

I guess Bob Bryan did in doubles. Becker is doing pretty well although I doubt he will ever make top 10.

http://www.ncaasports.com/tennis/mens/history

Captain America
03-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I played in a charity event against Pernfors and he was just a great guy. Very down to earth, respectful to everyone.

bluetrain4
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Here's a list of past NCAA champs. I don't see Wheaton or Martin on this list although I am sure they did very well in college. If you look at the 80's and 90s and 2000+ not too many names really made a big mark on the ATP tour.

I guess Bob Bryan did in doubles. Becker is doing pretty well although I doubt he will ever make top 10.

http://www.ncaasports.com/tennis/mens/history

I listed Wheaton and Martin as good players who played college teniis, not because the ever won the NCAAs.

80s fan 1971
04-09-2007, 02:28 PM

This message is for MIRO 1975.

I am trying to get ahold of the 1986 French Final between Pernfors and Lendl. It looked like you might have this on video? Please respond and maybe there is some way I can get a copy of that. Thanks.

galain
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
bluetrain4,

If you're looking for footage of Pernfors are his absolute peak then try to get hold of the 1986 Davis Cup final match he played against Pat Cash. Similar to the Jimmy Connors match but even more shocking because it was here on Cash's home turf at Kooyong, Pernfors was up two sets to love before Cash managed to claw his way back and finally win. Over those first two sets Pernfors played some of the most amazing tennis I've seen on a grass court. Never serve-volleyed, almost never went to the net but every shot he hit was laced with gold.

i was just about to reference this match. One of the best tennis matches I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I don't know how Cash got out of that one. Pernfors was amazing.

gonzo2000
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Pernfors was quick and had a vast array of shots. He was not imposing physically but was very smart. I liked watching him play in his heyday.

suwanee4712
04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Mikael's high collar style looks a little silly now. But he was pretty popular as a person that stood out at the time in terms of both personality and style. I'm not sure if that was something that was always a part of him or if he was influenced by his college years in Athens, GA. Especially at a time when so many cutting edge new wave bands with worldwide cult-like followings were coming out of there like Pylon, Love Tractor, the Barb-que Killers, etc.

PernforsFan
05-04-2007, 12:12 PM
A couple of things:

1. I don't see the Bjorkman similarity, but Sebastian Grosjean looks as if he studied Pernfors quite a bit.
2. I had the pleasure of spending some time with Mikael at a fantasy weekend, and I asked him about the Athens sensibility, because I, too, had a theory about the influence of the rock bands, especially R.E.M. He said he had only the most casual idea about that whole scene -- he likes Swedish music and Phil Collins. Too bad.

suwanee4712
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
A couple of things:

1. I don't see the Bjorkman similarity, but Sebastian Grosjean looks as if he studied Pernfors quite a bit.
2. I had the pleasure of spending some time with Mikael at a fantasy weekend, and I asked him about the Athens sensibility, because I, too, had a theory about the influence of the rock bands, especially R.E.M. He said he had only the most casual idea about that whole scene -- he likes Swedish music and Phil Collins. Too bad.

HA! That's good to know. All I know is that he had the most interesting accent, and played some cagey tennis. Lots of guts. I loved it!

fgbowen33
06-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Pernfors started at Sanford Community College in Florida. I went to UCF and watched him play in tournaments. He was a character that used to toy w/ lesser opponents while wearing different shoes. This was b4 he went to University of GA. I think he was also the only guy to 2 NCAAS in Athens.

bluetrain4
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Not only did he win 2 NCAA champtionships at Georgia, I think Georgia won the team championships in 1985.

suwanee4712
07-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Not only did he win 2 NCAA champtionships at Georgia, I think Georgia won the team championships in 1985.

The Bulldogs did win it that year for the first time. This year's title over Illinois puts them with 5 titles I think. Snappy record for the last 23 years.

In the singles final that year, Mikael beat a UGA teammate in the singles final. So that was about as good as it could get for a team.

johnkidd
07-05-2007, 04:38 PM
The Bulldogs did win it that year for the first time. This year's title over Illinois puts them with 5 titles I think. Snappy record for the last 23 years.

In the singles final that year, Mikael beat a UGA teammate in the singles final. So that was about as good as it could get for a team.

George Bezecny was his teammate he beat in the finals. They used to show the singles championships live on ESPN back then.

Nic Allen
09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah i was and still am a massive fan of this guy,..his game and attitude has a huge effect on me, i was at the Connors match at Wimbledon..and have seen most of his matches..he played the game with a spirit that is rarely seen

Also caught him annihilating Stich at wimbs on an outside court and losing a great macth to Lundgren. And the great 5 setter with Seguso..10-8 in the 5the in the year he got to the Connors match.

Last saw him hit balls against Mac at the blackrock masters in London a couple back..he was still playing great tennis.

i got a pic of him after the match with my son Brooks Allen who is going to IMg this year and is ranked in under 14s in UK.

wrong country for tennis tho uh

will try to post the pic

top player....80s haircut was awesome as was the fashion

rod99
09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Pernfors had an exciting Bjorkmanesque game. I think Bjorkman must have watched him as he learned the game. Pernfors and Wilander started a company in the early nineties, Global Caps. If you want a cap with your country's flag, check out their website.

this is a horrible comparison, as these guys were completely different. bjorkman was much more aggressive, took the ball earlier, hit the ball primarily flat, and had a much better backhand than forehand. pernfors played more definsively, hit heavy topspin, and had a much stronger forehand.

Bjorn99
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I was the number one player at Seminole, where he attended the following year. And my coach and I hated each other so much, he dropped me to number four, just before the state championships. I won the number four, with a hand tied behind my back and walked and never went back. The following year, Pernfors shows up, and won the National Junior College Championship two years in a row, BEFORE winning the NCAA'S twice in a row.

This guy was the best NCAA player in NCAA history imo. And I deeply regret not coming back and playing under him. I really enjoyed watching him play subsequently in the pros and watched him live and almost got kicked out of the final he won against Todd Martin, because I was making so much noise.

I feel like I know the guy, and I never ever did meet him. And he played NOTHING like Bjorkman, but definitely played very much like Sebastian Grosjean. Another player I loved watching play because of his extreme mobility. Pernfors could run anything down, and had a very limited serve, but it was fun to watch.

love15
09-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Mikael was the only player I cheered for in 35 years of tennis !
I wroote on him the very first article in my tennis journalist career.
Love him at all !
I agree, nothing to do with Bjorkman, that I pretty like, more similar to Grojean, fast and triky.
In Athens they use to call him : "Colada", since he was able to drink "pina colada" as water.
I walked miles in London, July 86, to find out his Nike Outfit.
He was kind of retired, coming back winning a masters series !
Great guy.
The only things bother me, I bought his Prince raquet but it was terrible ( for me)...

L15

jmsx521
09-08-2008, 07:26 AM
There is still one long point from the 1994-5-6 Canadian Open he played against Korda, that's stuck in my head... it was a long baseline point. I don't even have a recording of it.

Moose Malloy
09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I was the number one player at Seminole, where he attended the following year. And my coach and I hated each other so much, he dropped me to number four, just before the state championships. I won the number four, with a hand tied behind my back and walked and never went back. The following year, Pernfors shows up, and won the National Junior College Championship two years in a row, BEFORE winning the NCAA'S twice in a row.

Your profile says you are 31, so were you at Georgia when you were 7?

swedechris
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
i am one for sure.. i saw him at the french back in the day when he really had boom boom becker on the run .. silly finesse and touch .. a true shot maker and tactian in one.

MAX PLY
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Your profile says you are 31, so were you at Georgia when you were 7?

No, he would have been at Seminole when he was 7. You would have to be at least 10 to crack the tennis line-up at UGA.:)

Bjorn99
09-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I never put my real name or age on these type of things. I am his age basically. And it is rare to see some so universally liked. He was a treat to watch. I really regret not going back to Seminole to play beneath him. I cannot believe my know nothing coach got him to go to Semen hole.

rod99
09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
a friend of mine walked on the UGA team while pernfors was there. he said he once saw pernfors hit a topspin lob winner and the ball landed INSIDE the service line.

Fedace
09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
A largely forgotten Swede, but I loved how he played. Very tricky and quick. Very fun to watch.

Two time NCAA singles Champ, french open Finalist, and won the Canadian Masters Series tourney late in his career (7 titles overall).

Also, blew a 6-1, 6-1, 4-1 lead to Connors at Wimbledon.

Yes me. i have his matches on tape. i use it when i need a good night's sleep. it sure beats Ambien.:)

johnkidd
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Being a big Pernfors fan I agree with the Grosjean comparison. Mikeal had a sick topspin lob. I also agree with the fashion...I wore my collar up (on my Nike John McEnroe shirts like he wore) while playing. Never did the rackets. He used a snauwert for awhile and I think a Wimbledon before that.

Gemini
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Others:

Todd Martin
David Wheaton

Don't forget Mal Washington. I had the opportunity to hit with Mikael Pernfors when I was in college and he lived here in Atlanta. He has/has some of the heaviest topspin I've ever hit against. Ridiculously nice guy though. Wish I would have had more opportunities to hit with him.

bad_call
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Bjorn99 - do u remember the names of the other foreign players that played with Pernfors at SCC?

hoodjem
09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Pernfors shows up, and won the National Junior College Championship two years in a row, BEFORE winning the NCAA'S twice in a row.

This guy was the best NCAA player in NCAA history imo.

Better than McEnroe or Arthur Ashe or Stan Smith? Wow.

JW10S
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Pernfors did very well for himself. He came along during a time when Sweden was rich with talent--Wilander, Edberg, Sundstrom, Nystrom, Simonsson, Lundgren, etc, etc, etc. He was not ranked high enough to get support from his Federation so he went to the US and played tennis for a junior college in Florida then transfered to Georgia where he won back to back NCAA singles titles. His Cinderella run to the French Open final was amazing. He later was chosen to play Davis Cup for Sweden and could have been bitter because of his earlier snub but he was too classy for any of that. Pernfors was not tall, had no great weapons but he worked hard and had a very good career.

Bjorn99
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
No I don't remember them. I just remember being puked out, that our coach was able to get Pernfors. I was stunned to find out he won the jcos two years in a row. But not close to as stunned to find out he won the NCAA'S two years in a row. Really, probably the wildest college run of all time. And yes, better than Smith and the rest.

dima
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I played against him in Newport, RI. Got to warm up with him for 10 minutes and then played doubles against him, great guy. Should I also mention the fact I played against Larsson, Ferreira, Mal Washington, Novacek, Courier, etc? :)

hoodjem
09-09-2008, 07:19 AM
No I don't remember them. And yes, better than Smith and the rest.

I don't think so. It's called history. You might look up "Smith and the rest."

Let's petition the USTA to hold the US Open finals at "Mikael Pernfors Stadium" at Flushing Meadow in NYC--just so you can remember it.

Mike Cottrill
09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/GreenTennis/StanfordTurney/Players/a24feb25.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/GreenTennis/StanfordTurney/Players/0a7da4fa.jpg

johnkidd
09-09-2008, 05:27 PM
As far as a collegian goes he might have had the best run. 4 titles in 4 years. The first year he won NCAA's that was supposed to be Paul Annacone's to lose. The second year I'm not sure he lost a match the whole season. He only lost one set in the NCAA's that year, in the first round to someone I know.

hoodjem
09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Nope, none. Not any.

treblings
09-16-2008, 04:37 AM
I was a big Pernfors fan in the 80īs and still enjoy watching him today at senior events.
He was a fighter, moved very well and was a fine tactitian.
His dropshots had so much backspin, often fooled opponents.
He played the Wimbledon Graphite for some time, than switched to Snauwaert Mikael Pernfors Autograph.
I bought the Wimbledon because of him, played it for about 10 yrs, still own about a dozen.

Martingale
09-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Due to his size and lack of obvious weapons, he had to resort to speed and great tactics, and one may say tricks. His passing shots were especially clever. When pushed into a corner he would not just play a passing shot. He would look at the opponent and guess when the opponent running to the net would stop and go into his knees. Of course the attacker goes into his knees around the time when the defender strikes the ball. Now Pernfors would run to the ball with his racket extended as if hitting the ball (fooling the attacker into stopping and going into his knees) and then did a small step backwards and then hit the ball, by which time the attacker has stopped and has his timing ruined and has difficulties changing course. Amazing. I wish I had some of his games on tape to refresh my memory.