PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe favours Murray for Top 5

DueSouth
02-27-2007, 06:42 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6399263.stm

What do you think?

IMO although Murray is still improving very quickly i doubt he will be top 5 by wimbledon.....Top 10 is more likely.

ATXtennisaddict
02-27-2007, 06:44 AM
any chance you could copy/paste the story here? Can't read .co.uk sites at work.

caulcano
02-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Three-time Wimbledon champion John McEnroe insists Andy Murray can be in the world's top five by the time the SW19 tournament starts in June.
The Scot has already won in San Jose and finished runner-up in Doha this season, either side of reaching the fourth round at the Australian Open.

And McEnroe told BBC Five Live: "You don't see many guys with this natural ability to make it look so easy.

It's not going to be easy for him on the clay - that's where guys are going to come after him

McEnroe on Murray
The 19-year-old is currently ranked 13 in the world, and McEnroe insists his rise up the rankings is no surprise to him.

"I'm not surprised because he's grown and I figured when he physically rounded out (he would improve)," he said.

"The way he can just change the pace of the ball, he's learning now."

However, McEnroe did have a word of warning for Murray, with the clay-court season looming ahead of the French Open in May.

Murray struggled badly on the surface last year and McEnroe believes he will have to work hard to avoid coming unstuck once again.

He added: "It's not going to be easy for him on the clay - that's where guys are going to come after him."

Read McEnroe's full interview on Five Live

DueSouth
02-27-2007, 06:46 AM
i was going to do it but my job seems to have been done for me lol:D

Fedexeon
02-27-2007, 11:08 PM
But don't forget that last year he lost in first round of Indian Wells, Monte Carlo, Rome.. All these tournaments are MS tournaments, which provide alot of points. He can get alot of points in the coming tournaments.

35ft6
02-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Seems inevitable at this point. 2 years.

travlerajm
02-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Murray's already top-5 on hardcourt, even if his ranking is not there yet.

Fed, Roddick, Murray, Blake, and Nadal... is anyone else at that level on fast courts?

Feņa14
02-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Fed, Roddick, Murray, Blake, and Nadal... is anyone else at that level on fast courts?

I would say he is top 5 on grass too. His Wimbledon performances over the past 2 years have been very good.

In the juniors I think clay was his favourite surface but I doubt it will be on the main tour with the depth of players who enjoy clay. Even the average South American player can cause problems because they are just so used to the surface and play at 110% until the last point has been won. If Murray can have a respectable clay court season and do well in the hard court events (especially IW and Miami) then I feel that top 5 is possible.

sloe_torture
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM

davydenko & nalbandian... top 5 might be a tight fit for murray

GRANITECHIEF
02-28-2007, 11:42 AM
davydenko & nalbandian... top 5 might be a tight fit for murray

Davy and Nalby will be moving down making room for Murray and Youzhny.

swedechris
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
too.. but i am unsure of his footwork on the dirt.. he plays a clever game already in this early stage of his career and he seems hellbent on getting into the top 10 and five too.. he worked hard on his stamian and strentgh and that will be key as he used to have a good 2 hours of tennis in him and then go flat ..
i like to see him for he is creative and takes initiatives out there and fights .. go andy.!