PDA

View Full Version : trophy's for records is dumb

dh003i
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Apparently, this is a new trend in ATP tennis: trophies for records.

Although I'm not criticizing Federer -- what's he supposed to do, reject it -- presenting him with a trophy for consecutive weeks at #1 is dumb.

In no other sport do they present trophies for records, or beating records. It's inconsistent non-sense. Imagine the first years of a sport's establishment -- they'd be granting new trophies all the time!

Andres
02-27-2007, 08:31 AM

Although I'm not criticizing Federer -- what's he supposed to do, reject it -- presenting him with a trophy for consecutive weeks at #1 is dumb.

In no other sport do they present trophies for records, or beating records. It's inconsistent non-sense. Imagine the first years of a sport's establishment -- they'd be granting new trophies all the time!
NBA. Yes, they give trophies for breaking all time records.
Like Abdul Jabbar when he beat Chamberlain's all time scoring record.
Or when Stockton beat the assists and steals all time record.

caulcano
02-27-2007, 08:47 AM
records are there to be broken but it's bloody hard, so they don't give it out willy-nilly.

tintin
02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I love them:D

TheTruth
02-27-2007, 09:49 PM

Didn't Federer say when Nadal was presented with a trophy at the FO, that he wouldn't accept it? That he thought it didn't make sense. Don't tell me that he's now accepting the same kind of accolades that he bashed the "organizers" about for giving one to his rival. That is hilarious! What a fickle, fake man!

TheTruth
02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Didn't Federer say when Nadal was presented with a trophy at the FO, that he wouldn't accept it? That he thought it didn't make sense. Don't tell me that he's now accepting the same kind of accolades that he bashed the "organizers" about for giving one to his rival. That is hilarious! What a fickle, fake man!

Actually, that is rich. He talked about them soooo bad. Now, let's see what he does. Does he stand by his "principles", or does he grab that trophy and run like he did with the Wimbledon blazer. Gosh, that man is so transparent. He is a real hoot. Can't he see what a setup that is?

federer_nadal
02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
The thing is, nadal's was most consecutive wins on clay, like i mean come on, thats a stupid sort of trophy. But more consecutive weeks at number one actually means something. I think he was saying he wouldnt accept it because its not really worthy of being a well known racord imo.

psamp14
02-27-2007, 10:38 PM
federer said something of the likes that he wouldnt want a special trophy for breaking the streak of consecutive matches won on grass....that was prior to when he broke the record previously held by borg

i somewhat agree that trophies for records is dumb

i dont recall sampras getting any sort of trophies, but i do remember seeing a picture of carlos moya getting something for his 500th win

no disrespect to moya, and not calling for more respect to sampras, but trophies arent required for such records

save them for the grand slams...and make a special one for federer if he wins THE grand slam, presented at the us open...

caulcano
02-28-2007, 02:33 AM
save them for the grand slams...and make a special one for federer if he wins THE grand slam, presented at the us open...

What happens if they make a trophy & he doesn't win the GS? Does it go into storage until someone achieves that feat?

I think if they do make a trophy for THE grand slam, it'll be made after he wins it, and then presented at the year-end tournament.

psamp14
02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
What happens if they make a trophy & he doesn't win the GS? Does it go into storage until someone achieves that feat?

I think if they do make a trophy for THE grand slam, it'll be made after he wins it, and then presented at the year-end tournament.

they could make a small thing like some sort of token, maybe a brand new car or something...and present THE grand slam trophy like you said, at the year-end tournament, while he gets his #1 plaque, for 4th straight year...:)

stormholloway
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't get this record at all. Everyone knows Vilas was number one in '77. ATP rankings are a gauge, but they don't mean anything concrete. As Sampras said, you can be dead and still be number one in the world.

Tournaments are all that matter. Records are fun facts, but nothing more. Vilas had the record on clay, but still couldn't touch Borg, so what do they really mean?

TheTruth
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
The thing is, nadal's was most consecutive wins on clay, like i mean come on, thats a stupid sort of trophy. But more consecutive weeks at number one actually means something. I think he was saying he wouldnt accept it because its not really worthy of being a well known racord imo.

Then, he's even more ignorant if he thinks he gets to choose what is relevant and irrelevant, especially as it pertains to himself. If I'm correct he said, getting trophies for breaking records was stupid. This is the same thing and just shows his fickleness!

TheTruth
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
federer said something of the likes that he wouldnt want a special trophy for breaking the streak of consecutive matches won on grass....that was prior to when he broke the record previously held by borg

i somewhat agree that trophies for records is dumb

i dont recall sampras getting any sort of trophies, but i do remember seeing a picture of carlos moya getting something for his 500th win

no disrespect to moya, and not calling for more respect to sampras, but trophies arent required for such records

Yeah, he doesn't want one for something he hasn't achieved, but he's fine with getting them for his own achievements. Sounds like a double standard to me. Either getting trophies for milestone achievements is folly, or it's not. Can't stand the sitting on the fence garbage! Pathetic! Now it's okay for such achievements to be recognized. Sorry, I don't buy it!