PDA

View Full Version : NTRP rating question

MrCLEAN
02-27-2007, 12:10 PM
A friend was telling me about something that happened to him at a tournament. He plays 3.0M. He has an interesting game, he has about a 4.0 forehand, bigger than any in the 3.0's I'd say, about a 2.5 backhand. 3.0 serve and return, and pretty bad volleys. He was playing a guy who was setting him up w/ sitters at the T, and he was tagging them for winners pretty much w/ ease apparently. His opponent sort of backhandedly called him a sandbagger, which didnt sit well w/ him. If you just look at the forehand, you could say, yeah sure. But the rest of his game is at best a 3.0. He's never won a tournament, and is about .500 in his tournament record (he LOST the match to the guy accusing him of being a sandbagger too, lol).

Anyway, my question is, do you rate yourself based on your best shot or 2, or your game as a whole. I've always thought the latter, but it got me thinking because I've played him, and you DO NOT want to be on the other end of one of his forehands if you gave him a sitter. I don't know how he ended up w/ such a disparity between the FH and BH, but there it is. Any thoughts?

DANMAN
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
A friend was telling me about something that happened to him at a tournament. He plays 3.0M. He has an interesting game, he has about a 4.0 forehand, bigger than any in the 3.0's I'd say, about a 2.5 backhand. 3.0 serve and return, and pretty bad volleys. He was playing a guy who was setting him up w/ sitters at the T, and he was tagging them for winners pretty much w/ ease apparently. His opponent sort of backhandedly called him a sandbagger, which didnt sit well w/ him. If you just look at the forehand, you could say, yeah sure. But the rest of his game is at best a 3.0. He's never won a tournament, and is about .500 in his tournament record (he LOST the match to the guy accusing him of being a sandbagger too, lol).

Anyway, my question is, do you rate yourself based on your best shot or 2, or your game as a whole. I've always thought the latter, but it got me thinking because I've played him, and you DO NOT want to be on the other end of one of his forehands if you gave him a sitter. I don't know how he ended up w/ such a disparity between the FH and BH, but there it is. Any thoughts?

He's a 3.0. You are only as good as your weakest shots to a certain extent (that is if your opponents can exploit them). He's obviously not intentionally sandbagging if this is the case, and if he wins enough matches, he will be a 3.5. No big deal.

MrCLEAN
02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
He was mostly put off by being called a sandbagger by the guy that WON the match. Thats the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard it.

Raiden.Kaminari
03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
It's not one shot that determines your level, it's the whole enchilada.

The other player may have been doing a mental game with your friend, and he unfortunately fell for it. By making him angrier, he probably committed more errors.

So he is truly a 3.0.

Now, if he had a good serve and a good forehand, he should be at about a 3.5, depending on how his consistency. Then again, if his serve and forehand were really consistent, then he would nearly be a 4.5 :D

So it all depends on the entire package.

fuzzyvolley
03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
ratings based on results, not individual shots, which is good because my behind the back topspin drop volley is at least a 5.5.

beernutz
03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I played a guy like your friend who was rated 3.5 and undefeated in USTA league play at that level for 2 years too, who has a 4.5 forehand (no exaggeration - I've hit with 4.5s who were not nearly as good as he was on the forehand side), 2.5 backhand and I'm probably being charitable, 4.0 serves, and 3.5 everything else that doesn't involve his backhand.

Interesting fact which you can probably guess about the way he plays is that he tries to run around EVERYTHING hit to his backhand side.

I suppose in his mind all those skill ratings average out to a 3.5 and I guess maybe they do, but it is really strange to play against him.

Raiden.Kaminari
03-09-2007, 01:27 AM
I played a guy like your friend who was rated 3.5 and undefeated in USTA league play at that level for 2 years too, who has a 4.5 forehand (no exaggeration - I've hit with 4.5s who were not nearly as good as he was on the forehand side), 2.5 backhand and I'm probably being charitable, 4.0 serves, and 3.5 everything else that doesn't involve his backhand.

Interesting fact which you can probably guess about the way he plays is that he tries to run around EVERYTHING hit to his backhand side.

I suppose in his mind all those skill ratings average out to a 3.5 and I guess maybe they do, but it is really strange to play against him.

The player sounds like either a very high 3.5, or mid level 4.0 player if he really has the speed to cover up his weakness.